Haven't sailed HAL in over 10 years

swom

I loved HAL, but strayed to Princess, but I'm back and sailing on the Westie in Feb. What's new? Do they still give out the little bag? I see you now have your shampoos and such in a dispenser on the wall, that's new!

Thanks!

Yes, they still give out the little tote bags. They are now a different material (at least on the last two ships we have been on). They still have towels in the public washrooms and flowers throughout the ship:D

You will see some changes - but I don't think it's as drastic as some make it out to be ;)

I'm reading no life jackets now at muster. What about the line up at muster? Are woman still in front and men in back??? I always thought that was so antiquated.

Yes, they still give out the little tote bags. They are now a different material (at least on the last two ships we have been on). They still have towels in the public washrooms and flowers throughout the ship:D

You will see some changes - but I don't think it's as drastic as some make it out to be ;)

Some of the more popular complaints posted here are:

New Wine Policy

Charge for Canaletto

Charge for boarding pass copy

Increase tips.

Tours are cheaper if you book them yourself.

No Outdoor Movie Theater

For Starters....

I'm reading no life jackets now at muster. What about the line up at muster? Are woman still in front and men in back??? I always thought that was so antiquated.

That is funny! I never knew HAL to have the ladies in the front.

right no life jackets. That rule of the line up seems to change - On our P'dam cruise it was women at the front on the first segment, on the second segment - it was everyone move back. No matter whether a woman or man. So, it's hard to say but that seems to be the way things are trending. Every ship seems to follow it's own rules though;)

The little tote bags used to be a nice cloth bag I looked forward to. Now it is so cheesy, I just left it in the room.

Hey OP - Don't get me wrong... I LIKE HAL! it is just that all cruise lines under the CCL umbrella have had to cut back to remain competitive and profitable.

What???? No movies under the stars on the Westie??? Increased tips? I don't even know what Canaletto's is and I don't drink wine, so that's not a problem. Guess I need to do a little more research.....

Some of the more popular complaints posted here are:

New Wine Policy

Charge for Canaletto

Charge for boarding pass copy

Increase tips.

Tours are cheaper if you book them yourself.

No Outdoor Movie Theater

For Starters....

What???? No movies under the stars on the Westie??? Increased tips? I don't even know what Canaletto's is and I don't drink wine, so that's not a problem. Guess I need to do a little more research.....

You will have a fine time... esp if you are older.

If you like to stay up late, you will be in for a treat! Most of the other passengers have gone to bed.

Never have been movie under the stars on HAL ever :D that's Princess I believe. Lots of DVD's and movies shown in the theatre are run the next day on the TV on your room. Tips have only increased marginally - hsc is now $11.50 per person per day for regular rooms I believe and $12.00 for suites. For us, no biggie. It's called inflation. And the service is well worth it IMO.:)

There are 2 specialty restaurants on this ship - the Pinnacle Grill (steak, lobster, flambe) and the Canletto (Italian). totally optional and up to you - both with a minor fee.

I loved HAL, but strayed to Princess, but I'm back and sailing on the Westie in Feb. What's new? Do they still give out the little bag? I see you now have your shampoos and such in a dispenser on the wall, that's new!

Thanks!

Trays are no longer provided in the Lido.

You may or may not hear the dinner chimes because they may or may not be rung.

HAL now offers anytime dining in the lower part of the MDR, so you aren't required to dine with others at a fixed time/fixed table, though you CAN do that if you wish.

Still VERY few announcements :)

Sometimes the yum-yum man is at the cart, sometimes it is self-serve

Code Orange is in place for the first 48 hours, meaning you cannot serve yourself at the Lido; it is a preventative measure re norovirus.

Not sure when the hotel service charge was implemented, so that may or may not be new to you.

.... that's what comes to mind for me

Yes, I knew about the anytime dining. Love that. Don't like that there is not tray though.

Love the Code Orange!

If you're talking about the daily hotel service charge, how much did it go up???

I do see I have more research to do before I sail. I'm not liking a lot of what I'm reading though. :(

Trays are no longer provided in the Lido.

You may or may not hear the dinner chimes because they may or may not be rung.

HAL now offers anytime dining in the lower part of the MDR, so you aren't required to dine with others at a fixed time/fixed table, though you CAN do that if you wish.

Still VERY few announcements :)

Sometimes the yum-yum man is at the cart, sometimes it is self-serve

Code Orange is in place for the first 48 hours, meaning you cannot serve yourself at the Lido; it is a preventative measure re norovirus.

Not sure when the hotel service charge was implemented, so that may or may not be new to you.

.... that's what comes to mind for me

Thanks!

I quite like the dispenser on the wall. You will notice cutbacks in servers in the MDR, and especially in the wine waiters. Now your table server has to get your drinks unless you order a full bottle of wine - in which case the wine waiter takes your order. If you can get his/her attention! You will notice other things, but best that you make up your own mind.

Never have been movie under the stars on HAL ever :D that's Princess I believe. Lots of DVD's and movies shown in the theatre are run the next day on the TV on your room. Tips have only increased marginally - hsc is now $11.50 per person per day for regular rooms I believe and $12.00 for suites. For us, no biggie. It's called inflation. And the service is well worth it IMO.:)

There are 2 specialty restaurants on this ship - the Pinnacle Grill (steak, lobster, flambe) and the Canletto (Italian). totally optional and up to you - both with a minor fee.

"Different strokes for different folks", as they say, Jacqui! Our 1st cruise was on Princess and the Movies Under the Stars is what turned me off...and we've done HAL ever since then!

One of the joys of cruising is hearing the waves splash against the ship at night...with MUTS, that's impossible.

Oh.....just thought of something. I can NOT drink Coke products. Only diet Dr Pepper. Can I bring that on board without a problem?

At the moment. But I have a feeling that bringing on soda will be the next thing to be banned.;)

If you haven't sailed HAL in over 10 years, then the Hotel Service Charge replacing No Tipping Required is totally new to you. There is also a 15% service charge added to all bar drinks (including soda). There are beverage cards, which didn't exist 10 years ago.

I think you are likely to have a bit of a shock. The rest of us have adjusted to the changes slowly, over a long time, while you are going to be hit with them all at once. It's still basically the same HAL, but tweaked a bit. The stewards, both dining and cabin as well as lounge, will appear to be more rushed, because they are.

No Dutch Night at dinner. No other international dinners, either, as there were years and years ago. There is an International Dinner with many countries represented on the (usually) last night.

The Mariners Party is a small reception for the high number days Mariners, followed by a luncheon for all the Mariners. No more evening reception with cocktails. Oh, and no getting in line to meet the Captain on the Welcome Aboard evening. But the photographers are still everywhere they can stick a camera.

Well, I knew about the service charges for bar bills, hotel service charges and beverage cards via Princess and knew that it wasn't inclusive to Princess, so that's not going to be a shocker. Didn't know about the Mariner's party changing, but that's not a biggie for us either.

What about the tiles??? Do they still give you a tile at the end of your cruise?

If you haven't sailed HAL in over 10 years, then the Hotel Service Charge replacing No Tipping Required is totally new to you. There is also a 15% service charge added to all bar drinks (including soda). There are beverage cards, which didn't exist 10 years ago.

I think you are likely to have a bit of a shock. The rest of us have adjusted to the changes slowly, over a long time, while you are going to be hit with them all at once. It's still basically the same HAL, but tweaked a bit. The stewards, both dining and cabin as well as lounge, will appear to be more rushed, because they are.

No Dutch Night at dinner. No other international dinners, either, as there were years and years ago. There is an International Dinner with many countries represented on the (usually) last night.

The Mariners Party is a small reception for the high number days Mariners, followed by a luncheon for all the Mariners. No more evening reception with cocktails. Oh, and no getting in line to meet the Captain on the Welcome Aboard evening. But the photographers are still everywhere they can stick a camera.

Archived