Fiction books set on cruise ships?

taffy12

• 2 months later...

Cruising in Your Eighties is Murder by Paul Jacobson is part of his "Geezer Mystery" series – I haven't read it yet, but I plan to.

BTW, does anyone know whether an audiobook downloaded to an iPhone before boarding can be listened to on board the ship without an internet package? I assume it can, but I've never tried it.

19 minutes ago, tiny blonde said:

Cruising in Your Eighties is Murder by Paul Jacobson is part of his "Geezer Mystery" series – I haven't read it yet, but I plan to.

BTW, does anyone know whether an audiobook downloaded to an iPhone before boarding can be listened to on board the ship without an internet package? I assume it can, but I've never tried it.

Yes.

To confirm for yourself, download a book, any book. Then turn off your cell data and WiFi. Then listen to the book...

“The Golden Rendezvous” by Alistair Maclean? Set on a cargo ship that carries passengers?

”The Da Vinci Code”. That flits around Europe ... well France and Scotland?

”Hannibal” is set mainly in Florence.

On 5/23/2019 at 8:03 PM, d9704011 said:

1 hour ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Yes.

To confirm for yourself, download a book, any book. Then turn off your cell data and WiFi. Then listen to the book...

Thanks. I thought so. Good to know, as I like to listen to my books. 😋

Death Takes Passage by Sue Henry.  takes place on a small ship Alaska cruise.

It looks like McCanberra  beat me to it.  However, both my wife and I read and enjoyed this book.  We also sailed on this ship in 1995 for our 25th anniversary.

Edited by Tom47

13 hours ago, tiny blonde said:

Thanks. I thought so. Good to know, as I like to listen to my books. 😋

Cruising wouldn’t be the same without carrying audible or readable books. I must have over 100 and often check out digital books for free from my public library (they have a due date, though). It is important to remember that, for example in your kindle library, to check your list of books: on the book’s icon is a small arrow in the bottom corner. Tap that arrow and the book will download while you are connected to the internet. It takes a few minutes. Then you have it permanently. When I take audible books I use Bluetooth earphones.

6 hours ago, MaisonRose said:

Cruising wouldn’t be the same without carrying audible or readable books. I must have over 100 and often check out digital books for free from my public library (they have a due date, though). It is important to remember that, for example in your kindle library, to check your list of books: on the book’s icon is a small arrow in the bottom corner. Tap that arrow and the book will download while you are connected to the internet. It takes a few minutes. Then you have it permanently. When I take audible books I use Bluetooth earphones.

Thank you! I'll do that before my cruise. 😋

I just finished listening to “Passenger 23” by Sebastian Fitzek, I don’t think it is available as a readable book in English, only German. Audio book in English though 

A fairly dark psychological thriller set on a modern day cruise ship 

Edited by October17

The Woman in Cabin Ten by Ruth Ware is an entertaining read. The setting is the maiden voyage of a luxury cruise liner with many amusing passengers, etc. Greed, murder, mayhem...all there.

For classic literature read THE CATS TABLE by Michael Ondaatje,  author of the English Patient. The main character is a pre teen chap being sent to England from Sri Lanka to reunite with his mother and enter the English boarding school system. His female cousin is there to guide him but alas her affairs keep her occupied.

As an a unaccompanied minor our protagonist gets his mealtime assignment at The Cats Table: sharing with sundry quirky staff, mostly entertainers. If you love the romance of cruising, following this amusing (hilarious) saga just might be your cup of tea. I found the ending a bit of a fizzle but the adventure is worth the trip.

Edited by MaisonRose
Additional info.