Why the excitement over lobster

orangepeel

Is there a lobster night on the Norwegian pearl going to Alaska in May. In the free MDR. First cruise dreamed of eating lobster and steak EVER DAY !!

And try every other food I can find !! Trip of a life time, I am so excited. When I'm in ports can I bring bottled water and canned Soda and get back on the ship. Also can I get a price list of services in the spa,(Hair, nails, facial etc)

Is there a lobster night on the Norwegian pearl going to Alaska in May. In the free MDR. First cruise dreamed of eating lobster and steak EVER DAY !!

And try every other food I can find !! Trip of a life time, I am so excited. When I'm in ports can I bring bottled water and canned Soda and get back on the ship. Also can I get a price list of services in the spa,(Hair, nails, facial etc)

NCL no longer has a Lobster Night, but lobster is available every night in the MDR for an upcharge ($20 for whole lobster, $25 for a surf and turf).

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-5/news/news.cfm?ID=6633

Well, you're forgetting that this is carnival lobster night and they come frozen and not in a shell

My Carnival (maine) lobster, last week on the Glory, was likely from frozen stock, but was definitely in the shell.

Years ago, we were told by onboard personnel, that lobsters, steaks, etc are ALL frozen, regardless of what cruiseline marketing tells the passengers.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah. Where I live (Singapore), lobster is not cheap. So having lobster is always a treat for me.

This was from MSC Preziosa, Yacht Club restaurant.

[YOUTUBE]2_DnkB_ubl0[/YOUTUBE]

I can see that would make you keen.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

contrary to what one poster says, red lobster restaurants are not widely available, nor is lobster "dirt cheap" for those of us who DO NOT live on a coastline...thus we are happy to see it on a cruise menu and eat as much of the sweet meat as we can when we can...I don't have a problem paying the "upcharge" or buying it frozen at aldi's at home....I like lobster any way and whenever I can get it! I would like to try a lobster roll, but until I am able to go to the east coast, it ain't happening. posters need to remember that their experience and environment is specific to them and not to most of the country!

contrary to what one poster says, red lobster restaurants are not widely available, nor is lobster "dirt cheap" for those of us who DO NOT live on a coastline...thus we are happy to see it on a cruise menu and eat as much of the sweet meat as we can when we can...I don't have a problem paying the "upcharge" or buying it frozen at aldi's at home....I like lobster any way and whenever I can get it! I would like to try a lobster roll, but until I am able to go to the east coast, it ain't happening. posters need to remember that their experience and environment is specific to them and not to most of the country!

You are getting the same frozen lobster you get from Aldi. Again, it's nothing to get overly cited about.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What is everyone's idea of "cheap?" I see live Maine lobster in my area for $15-$25. To me, that's cheap. By the way, I don't live anywhere near Maine.

You won't spend $20 on a lobster at home but you'll spend $50 a day for booze on the ship???

Edited by cruizergal70

What is everyone's idea of "cheap?" I see live Maine lobster in my area for $15-$25. To me, that's cheap. By the way, I don't live anywhere near Maine.

You won't spend $20 on a lobster at home but you'll spend $50 a day for booze on the ship???

LOL Touché!

I grew up in New England where lobster was a human right. Now I live in Denmark where it isn't part of the culinary culture. Cruising is one of the few times I get to enjoy some of the foods I miss from home and can't get in Denmark.

We love lobster, but don't eat it at home. The season for it is short and it is expensive. When we cruise we eat it in the dining room and at the CG on Princess we go wild over the lobster tails. It really is a treat for us, especially for having more than one serving! Something we look forward to.

We like Lobster and once in a blue moon I will cook it at home but I would rather it just be served to me, so if it is offered on a cruise I will have one.

Yes Red Lobster is affordable and Boston Lobster Feast (just plane awful) is probably now circa $50 for all you can eat, but they are not good.

Last decent lobster I had was Ruth Chris and Big Fins in Orlando, you get what you pay for!

• 2 months later...

I like lobster night, even living in Florida, for the simple reason that it's typically the best food I will be served in the main dining room over the whole cruise. Rarely am I impressed by anything served in the main dining room....and the lobster, even if bulk-frozen, is still pretty hard to screw up.

Serious question here, because I truly do not understand.

I see on many of the cruise line boards a common question...when is lobster night. Answers that usually follow always include how many tails a person has eaten on their last cruise. Maybe I am missing something here but I do not understand what the excitement is about. I like lobster as much as the next person too i think and order it once in a while when we go out at home. Would someone please explain to me why it is such a big deal while on the ship.

I see it the same way as many people are obsessed about getting the premium drink package. I know I am comparing apples and oranges, but most people just base everything on their own preferences, and lobster is a big deal to many people because they don't want to pay for it on the outside, but still enjoy it, and look forward to it on cruises as a treat.

I love lobster but the over cooked, dried out four ounce tail served with two four ounce prawns just doesn't cut it. Being from Colorado, lobster price is gold plated, however, I will pay the price for live lobster here.

Lobster on formal night is special in my own way. For appetizer I order the escargo and a cheese plate served at the same time. Pair with a glass of wine and a crispy Princess bread roll. Then on to the wine braised beef short ribs. No room for desert tho. Oh well. ;)