Venice bans ships larger than 96,000 tons

jimbo5544

Uh...NO. When we sailed to Venice in 2012, no large cruise ships were docked near San Marco

Cruise ships dock at Marritima on the West side.

They do sail past San Marco on thier way In / Out of Venice.

venice.jpg

Thanks I thought something had changed in 6 years.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

I was in Venice 1 1/2 weeks ago and no cruise ship docked anywhere near St. Mark's.

I agree. We spent a week in Venice last June and were at San Marco every day. We never once saw a cruise ship.

Edited by Jeafl

Last summer we took a cruise on the Costa Favolosa that started and ended in Venice. At approximately 115,000 tons it would be banned under the new legislation.

During our two days in Venice we witnessed plenty of boats speeding through the main channel that the cruise ships use to enter and exit the city. These boats (some small pleasure coats and others fairly large water taxis and "working" boats) generating wakes that FAR exceeded the wake of the several cruise ships we also saw navigating through the city.

I believe that the movement to ban the cruise ships are the result of a small minority of locals that dislike the visual of these large cruise ships passing through their historical city. From talking with many in Venice, the majority of locals view the ships as a necessary evil as they desperately need the revenue that the ships bring with them in the form of thousands of extra tourists and the docking fees that the ships pay.

I was under the impression that Venice didn't like the route that cruise ships took as they came/left the city, so that the port for cruise ships would just be moved to another area. In any case, I am sure that by the time Carnival returns to Europe, there will be a solution in place for Venice to remain on the itineraries.

We just sailed on Carnival Sunshine out of Venice, and the ship docks over by Piazza Roma, not over by St. Mark's.

Too much money is at stake - they will find alternative ways to get the ships in and/or build another port.

Without corporate sponsors for maintenance, the city would likely go under. Literally.

I would imagine Venice has enough other tourism to be ok.

I am guessing a lot of cruises will tender to it for the mean time. Im guessing cruise companies would rather pay for tender than lose Venice as a port as it is stunning. With that being said, whoever said a Med cruise without Venice isnt good is nonsense, the Med has some stunning places that may not be as famous but are beautiful in their own way.