Change in Wine Policy?

redrightreturning

Been away from the board for a while. Last cruised on the Carib in Jan '13.

I'm gathering from some of the posts that Princess is now enforcing a 2 bottle limit (per Pax?) on West Coast cruises. Is this now being enforced in FLL as well? On the Royal on 1/26 and looking forward to my usual stop at Total Wine to load up a spare carry-on.

Been away from the board for a while. Last cruised on the Carib in Jan '13.

I'm gathering from some of the posts that Princess is now enforcing a 2 bottle limit (per Pax?) on West Coast cruises. Is this now being enforced in FLL as well? On the Royal on 1/26 and looking forward to my usual stop at Total Wine to load up a spare carry-on.

Sort of. The policy permits one free bottle per person per cabin. You can still load up at Total and bring the extra bottles on. But you might be assessed a $15 per bottle fee for each bottle over the free allotment. The fee would get billed to you upon boarding, after which you can drink the wine wherever you wish on the ship for no additional charge. If you bring your "free" bottles to the dining room, you will be charged $15 at the time of dining. So in sum, Princess is not enforcing a strict one bottle per person limit like other cruise lines. It still allows for more wine, as long as you are willing to pay them the fee.

I, too, would like to hear from someone who has had recent FLL experience with this. Last time I cruised on the Ruby ('12), I brought three bottles of wine and two bottles of champagne with no problem whatsoever, in my carryon.

I, too, would like to hear from someone who has had recent FLL experience with this. Last time I cruised on the Ruby ('12), I brought three bottles of wine and two bottles of champagne with no problem whatsoever, in my carryon.

Lucky you!I typically pack 2-3 Black Box Merlot,Malbec & Syrah in check on bag and never a problem.Recently everyone is indicating that Princess is really cracking down and if you are brave enough,likely your beverages will end up in the trash.

Lucky you!I typically pack 2-3 Black Box Merlot,Malbec & Syrah in check on bag and never a problem.Recently everyone is indicating that Princess is really cracking down and if you are brave enough,likely your beverages will end up in the trash.
More likely, you will be asked to pay $15/750ml for corkage. That could add as much as $60 corkage to that $16-$17 Black Box (Total Wine or Publix prices in FLL).

Read the following from my Boarding Pass.

"Bringing Alcohol Onboard?

Please remember our carry-on alcohol policy:

One 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per adult per

voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if

consumed in the stateroom.

Additional wine or champagne bottles are

welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee per bottle,

irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

Other liquors, spirits or beers are prohibited. Luggage is

subject to search."

No guarantee that you won't be charged the $15 fee. I've read that in San Francisco some were charged and some not.

Tom:)

More likely, you will be asked to pay $15/750ml for corkage. That could add as much as $60 corkage to that $16-$17 Black Box (Total Wine or Publix prices in FLL).

I pay $20-$22 per box and it is a good wine for what it is!As for corkage,I would throw the wine overboard or flush it just to have the satisfaction of knowing staff isn't enjoying it!

Read the following from my Boarding Pass.

"Bringing Alcohol Onboard?

Please remember our carry-on alcohol policy:

One 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per adult per

voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if

consumed in the stateroom.

Additional wine or champagne bottles are

welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee per bottle,

irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

Other liquors, spirits or beers are prohibited. Luggage is

subject to search."

No guarantee that you won't be charged the $15 fee. I've read that in San Francisco some were charged and some not.

Tom:)

We have just returned home from a Mediterranean cruise on the Ruby and we packed the allowed 1 bottle of wine each in our bags. Every time we went ashore we bought another bottle of wine to drink on our balcony and we had no problem getting it through.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

OP here. Thank you all for the replies. However, the original question remains unaddressed. We all have sailed multiple times and are familar with the "language" in the cruise contract.

The limit on wine carry-on was enforced at other embarkation ports.

The reality, however, has been that "language" concerning wine has rarely been enforced in FLL.

One of the reasons I am a loyal Princess pax is the ability to load up an extra empty carry-on at Total Wine with 7-8 bottles of wine and a 12 pack of cheap beer, proceed to the pier, scan through my bag, which, unless security is blind, or doesn't care, obviously contains bottles and cans.

I've even boarded with an 18 can pack of beer bungeed to the handle of my roll-on bag, in plain sight. Crew have noticed, asking "Where's the party?"

NEVER a question, not even a raised eyebrow. This as recently as January of this year.

THE QUESTION: Is the contract "language" (and corkage policy) being enforced in FLL?

OP here. Thank you all for the replies. However, the original question remains unaddressed. ...

THE QUESTION: Is the contract "language" (and corkage policy) being enforced in FLL?

The question HAS BEEN addressed through the explanation of the new official policy. Beyond that, no one can tell you anything more, other than anecdotally. If ten posters reply to your question and tell you that on their cruises last week, there was not enforcement, but then you show up to the port on 1/26 only to find out that they are enforcing the policy, what good was it to you that ten people gave you their personal anecdotes from October? Conversely, if all ten tell you that the policy was enforced, and then you arrive and it is not enforced, again, what good was it to you that others had to pay and you did not?

You now know the official policy, and you know that it has been enforced somewhat regularly in U.S. ports of embarkation, but not always. All you can do is buy and bring your wine with the expectation that you will be charged, but the hope that you will not. If that doesn't work for you, then there really isn't any more that anyone can do for you. You absolutely can get your box of 7-8 bottles on to the ship. They won't be confiscated and they won't be destroyed. All that remains is the uncertainty as to whether you will have to pay for 5-6 of those bottles, which amounts to a $75-$90 question. Does it really matter that much?

Edited by JimmyVWine

As stated by others here... Not sure on the day, ship or itinerary you board what will be going on policy wise. :confused: I certainly wouldn't attempt the boxes of wine, beer etc this year without accepting what COULD happen. In the past we saw what you describe. But with an obvious "crack down" at some ports on some cruises, unless you are willing to accept consequences (corkage charges and throw aways) don't do it. It's as simple as that.;) What more can be said?