Celebrity price control

lysolqn

It's my understanding that Celebrity recently imposed price controls and no longer permits travel agents to discount cruises below published brochure rates. Word has it you will pay the same price for a Celebrity cruise whether you book through the cruiseline directly or through any agency. If that's the case, how is it that in "shopping" a future cruise, I've gotten varying quotes (including quotes that are lower than on Celebrity's website) from different agencies (online and off) for the identical category cabin and same sailing date?

It's my understanding that Celebrity recently imposed price controls and no longer permits travel agents to discount cruises below published brochure rates.
The contract wording specifies that the TA will neither advertise nor, in subsequent wording, sell below the "contracted" rate. What that rate happens to be in any given situation is another story. In essence, it says that whatever Celebrity and a TA agree to for a price (the "contracted" rate) is what must be charged; no kickbacks (e.g., post purchase discounts), free travel, etc. are supposed to be offered to the customer in lieu of discounting, either.

Nobody pays "brochure rate". Even Celebrity doesn't sell direct at that price! Then again, I haven't seen the new brochure yet. Perhaps they've gotten sane (finally).

Word has it you will pay the same price for a Celebrity cruise whether you book through the cruiseline directly or through any agency. If that's the case, how is it that in "shopping" a future cruise, I've gotten varying quotes (including quotes that are lower than on Celebrity's website) from different agencies (online and off) for the identical category cabin and same sailing date?
Like that "word has it" stuff, too, do you?;)

Keep shopping, folks!

Wow, I have searched high and low for a lower rate on my upcoming December 12th on the Mercury and cannot find anything. Any hints would be appreciated ---
Like you, I've found that there aren't going to be deals available on all cruises. My 5 Dec Galaxy cruise still isn't any cheaper anywhere than when I first booked it. The best deals may require people to be flexible about their dates.

Wow, I have searched high and low for a lower rate on my upcoming December 12th on the Mercury and cannot find anything. Any hints would be appreciated ---
My first try got me a tiny bit better rate. One well known online TA shows CC cabins for $70/pp less, but that also includes the fees and taxes which the Celebrity price of $1670 does not, so I'd guess you'd save something on the order of $110 per person or something along those lines. No serious bargain, but $110 per person is still $220 in the bank. Shop around. It's not as easy as it used to be, but it's still worth doing.

Sorry don't agree with you that Celebrity doesn't permit TA's to discount below published rates.

My TA in Miami always comes in lower than Celebrity's published WEBSITE price.

The brochure price is a suggested price for that Category. If you want a more realistic price, go to the cruiselines website. Also in the future I've heard that Celebrity will not be publishing prices anymore in their brochures.

My agent in Miami, does a big cruise business and I always get a lower price than what Celebrity offers on it's site.

I'm also a Captain's Club member and automatically get a one category upgrade price.

Keep in mind, the cruise prices is a matter of supply and demand. If a cruise is in demand the price will be higher, if not they will discount it for a while and offer incentives.

My advice would be to book as early as you can, pick the cabin you want and find a TA that does a lot of cruise business.

Also, if you book onboard you will get a shipboard credit. And I've even gotten a shipboard voucher for a upcoming cruise that was not even out yet. I kept the voucher and as soon as I booked through my agent, I gave her the voucher to apply to my cruise.

Nobody pays "brochure rate". Even Celebrity doesn't sell direct at that price! Then again, I haven't seen the new brochure yet. Perhaps they've gotten sane (finally).

I have not seen any prices listed in Celebrity's brochures like I had in the past years. This is for last year's and current year's brochures. I guess this way they can control prices based on supply and demand.

I am on quite a few discount TA email lists that broadcast sales/ discounts, closeouts on all lines. I think I see the most offers for Celebrity, deep deep discounts even far in advance. My TA friend told me Celebrity's competitors sell ships out faster and at higher per diems than Celebrity.

I am on quite a few discount TA email lists that broadcast sales/ discounts, closeouts on all lines. I think I see the most offers for Celebrity, deep deep discounts even far in advance. My TA friend told me Celebrity's competitors sell ships out faster and at higher per diems than Celebrity.

In light of the fact that TA 's are no longer allowed to advertise rates that are lower than Celebrity's contracted prices, I am curious to know where you have found these ads. Are they TA's who are stupid enough to risk their relationship with Celebrity, or classic bait and switch schemes?

Agencies who still hold old group space (there's still some, but the rest of 05 group space will be recalled 8/1) have flexibility.

However, any new group space blocked by agencies after May 1st, 2005... that is no longer the case.

• 2 weeks later...
Agencies who still hold old group space (there's still some, but the rest of 05 group space will be recalled 8/1) have flexibility.

However, any new group space blocked by agencies after May 1st, 2005... that is no longer the case.

Does this mean that for the next week there might be some slightly less expensive space available on some cruises, and then it's gone? Does that mean on 8/2 there might be some price redux showing up on the X website reflecting unsold inventory, or that blocks of rooms will appear? (been looking at 12/17 constellation and balconies all gone)

Skipped cruising last year for a trip to Rome and some things quite different since 03.

TIA,

sacway

Archived