Looking for good ideas for food to bring to the beach!

canadarocks

We'll be on a 20 day B2B in the Southern & Eastern Caribbean on the Emerald next March. On some of the port stops, we just intend to head to a beautiful beach for the day. I'd love to read what others suggest as to foods that we can take off the ship with us to enjoy while at the beach. The food at many of the beach restaurants seems pretty expensive.

Not looking to break any rules, just "legal" suggestions, please! :)

Since many countries prohibit taking food from the ship only pre packaged items may only be allowed. Not something made & wrapped onboard but things like granola bars brought from home. Islands may stringently enforce their rules & have read many times in the Patter that bringing food ashore is illegal. You may want to research the islands your visiting to follow their rules.

For port stops that allow it, we've ordered a couple of turkey clubs and chips from room service the evening before. We'll put everything in ziploc bags and store the sandwiches in the fridge until the following morning.

Lew

Edited by -Lew-

I would check your patter nightly, but often times they don't allow food to be taken off. If you need to catch a cab to the beach, I'd ask the cabbie where to get some good roadside food for your adventure! As long as it is in a country where the food should be safe (we check the CDC website before our trips), you should be able to get some food that isn't too pricey. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

For port stops that allow it, we've ordered a couple of turkey clubs and chips from room service the evening before. We'll put everything in ziploc bags and store the sandwiches in the fridge until the following morning.

Lew

you're game taking food off the ship

Being diabetic, I always have prepackaged goodies with me.

Juice boxes

dried fruits (Some health food stores carry some great ones!)

granola bars

crackers with cheese/peanut butter/cream cheese

bottled water

individual packets of flavor for water (sugar free for me - like Crystal light)

Keeps us going until we get back to the ship and can eat properly.

Sorry they don't allow food off the ships, but so understand it too!

Have a great cruise!

Airport scrutiny is probably more stringent than at a pier but don't neglect disclosing prohibited items when arriving at Sydney airport. We had trail mix with almonds which could be prohibited so we claimed it. The almonds were smoked so they were okay. Another couple we met on our flight & going on our cruise knew the rules & decided not to disclose having trail mix. It was discovered & the last I saw of them they were being led off for additional scrutiny & to explain why they ignored the rules.

It's just not worth it to me to violate any country's rules whether I think it'll be enforced or not...the rules are there for a reason & it's not something I ignore.

Airport scrutiny is probably more stringent than at a pier but don't neglect disclosing prohibited items when arriving at Sydney airport. We had trail mix with almonds which could be prohibited so we claimed it. The almonds were smoked so they were okay. Another couple we met on our flight & going on our cruise knew the rules & decided not to disclose having trail mix. It was discovered & the last I saw of them they were being led off for additional scrutiny & to explain why they ignored the rules.

Yup, after reading all the info on here about Australia and New Zealand I made sure everyone in our group knew the rules. My brother had brought beef jerky for his teenagers on the plane. He declared them when he landed and that was a good thing. They let him through with it but three times while he was waiting to go through customs/immigration the dogs came up and sat by him.

Then later when we were getting off in one of the ports my daughter got stopped because she had put an apple in the bag she was taking off ship. It was from the day before but when we got off the dog smelled the aftermath. The did question us about the snacks we were taking off but we had a 6 month and 3 YO with us so they let it go. Except for the water and formula it was all prepackaged.

I would check your patter nightly, but often times they don't allow food to be taken off. If you need to catch a cab to the beach, I'd ask the cabbie where to get some good roadside food for your adventure! As long as it is in a country where the food should be safe (we check the CDC website before our trips), you should be able to get some food that isn't too pricey. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

I have seen that too. I have never seen it enforced either shipboard or on shore and have assumed that it was mostly revenue protection, that they do not want people on disembark day taking off their lunch, dinner, and leftovers. I do not think Princess or the authorities would go wild over a sandwich.

Yup, after reading all the info on here about Australia and New Zealand I made sure everyone in our group knew the rules. My brother had brought beef jerky for his teenagers on the plane. He declared them when he landed and that was a good thing. They let him through with it but three times while he was waiting to go through customs/immigration the dogs came up and sat by him.

Then later when we were getting off in one of the ports my daughter got stopped because she had put an apple in the bag she was taking off ship. It was from the day before but when we got off the dog smelled the aftermath. The did question us about the snacks we were taking off but we had a 6 month and 3 YO with us so they let it go. Except for the water and formula it was all prepackaged.

Once when I landed in Oz I still had sunflower seeds I had brought for the flight. I mentioned it to the customs guy. They were concerned it was trail mix, which might have viable seeds.

Airport scrutiny is probably more stringent than at a pier but don't neglect disclosing prohibited items when arriving at Sydney airport. We had trail mix with almonds which could be prohibited so we claimed it. The almonds were smoked so they were okay.

You were lucky. I have read of packaged Hershey chocolate bars with almonds being confiscated by Australia authorities because of the nuts.

I have seen that too. I have never seen it enforced either shipboard or on shore and have assumed that it was mostly revenue protection, that they do not want people on disembark day taking off their lunch, dinner, and leftovers. I do not think Princess or the authorities would go wild over a sandwich.

Depends on the country.

I have been to some ports where local authorities inspected every purse and bag and whatever looking for food.

I have also been to ports where dogs (accompanied by armed military) are used to sniff every purse and bag and whatever looking for food.

Edited by caribill

You were lucky. I have read of packaged Hershey chocolate bars with almonds being confiscated by Australia authorities because of the nuts.

Interesting & guess that either the authorities were wrong or that the author was wrong. I recalled it as "raw nuts" being restricted & confirmed that fact of their government website:

On arrival

The following is not a complete list of items that you must declare on arrival. In many cases items you declare will be returned to you after inspection.

Seeds and nuts

cereal grains, popping corn, raw nuts, pinecones, birdseed, unidentified seeds, some commercially packaged seeds, and ornaments including seeds

http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/travel/cant-take

Edited by Astro Flyer

I notice lots of folks using the term "rules" when what's in place at most ports are agricultural "laws" - some of which have hefty fines attached if you're caught with something you're not supposed to bring ashore. There are usually bins of stuff that people have had to discard because they didn't bother to read the signs or listen to the announcements made before they left the ship.

Grab something that's prepackaged from the buffet like Cheerios. Agriculture is not allowed but cookies or muffins or croissants are not agriculture.

I was told by quarantine...if it goes in your mouth...then it is food....declare it.

kind regards, Lorraine :):)

We'll be on a 20 day B2B in the Southern & Eastern Caribbean on the Emerald next March. On some of the port stops, we just intend to head to a beautiful beach for the day. I'd love to read what others suggest as to foods that we can take off the ship with us to enjoy while at the beach. The food at many of the beach restaurants seems pretty expensive.

Read your Patter the night before each island.

If there are restrictions they will be on the front page.

I've gotten slammed on here many times and so am hesitant to repeat this but, as my husband and myself are on restricted diets , we try to take something from the ship (where I know the ingredients) with us to get us through the day. I also bring small ziploc sandwich bags to put our food in.

What we take varies according to the restrictions posted for the port.

Last year we took an extended cruise to Australia and New Zealand, who have some of the MOST restrictive laws and highest fines for breaking those laws.

Even there I was able to figure out things that were ok. I didn't "sneak" anything off the ship - I opened my bag to show the inspectors each and every time. (Croissants always seemed to be ok). I stopped telling people on our cruise because every time I did I was corrected.

That said, most of the islands in the Caribbean have few or no restrictions. Get something from the buffet at breakfast that will hold up during the day.

(Also, potato chips and pretzels are great but you have to get them the afternoon before. You ask what would be good to take but that depends on what you like to eat. )

Edited by chamima

For us, it's worth it in most ports to plan on spending some extra money to enjoy the local food.

You do need to make allowances for purchasing lunches ashore when on full day excursions.

For us, it's worth it in most ports to plan on spending some extra money to enjoy the local food.

For the most part I agree with this, and we quite often purchase snacks/lunches while ashore. But on this particular cruise, there are a few specific beaches that we intend to visit where we don't intend to do that. Hence the initial post.