medical charges

cheekyscouse

Just back from Caribbean on ventura , unfortunately my partner suffered a nosebleed that would not stop, had to attend medical centre on board.

I am absolutely disgusted with the charges applied to my account it cost in excess of £500 to treat a nosebleed, the treatment consisted of a Tampon type dressing inserted into her nostril, and 1 anti sickness tablet dispensed I am livid:mad:.

Whether or not you are covered by insurance for the charges is irrelevant, no wonder the insurance premiums are so high when the charges the ships make are a rip off.

This is what the P&O website says :

Medical treatment on board is classed as private care and as such is chargeable. The cost of these charges can vary depending on treatment, services and items used. A charge of £50 is applicable for a consultation prior to any treatment or medication. Any out of hours contact will result in higher charges.

It is advisable that you ensure you have appropriate travel insurance prior to sailing.

That means they can charge what they like IMHO.:(

Just back from Caribbean on ventura , unfortunately my partner suffered a nosebleed that would not stop, had to attend medical centre on board.

I am absolutely disgusted with the charges applied to my account it cost in excess of £500 to treat a nosebleed, the treatment consisted of a Tampon type dressing inserted into her nostril, and 1 anti sickness tablet dispensed I am livid:mad:.

Whether or not you are covered by insurance for the charges is irrelevant, no wonder the insurance premiums are so high when the charges the ships make are a rip off.

One suggests the next time you require NHS care you instead ring one of the private companies. I recently had to for my fil and just to have an appt with a doctor was multi hundreds, that is without any treatment. Looking at your charges against that I do not c think its a rip off. What time of day did you attend the medical centre, was t out of hours?

That is what Insurance is for.

9 stitches cost me £800 in the USA. ($1193)

That was 1 Injection, 2 bits of Fishing line on hooks and a Bandage.

I sliced my leg on a broken bottle in a bin bag as I carried it out.

Reality check here peeps. Medical care is expensive if you don't have an NHS to foot the Bill.

Whilst the charges may seem high you have insurance to cover it.

If you don't have adequate Insurance then I have to say that is not an issue for this forum.

If you are using the Freebie from your bank, then you are not adequately insured, equally not an issue for this forum.

Pay the nice doctor his fee. Swallow the excess, Claim on your insurance and the job is done.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but £500 to be treated for a nose bleed is not at all unreasonable in any country without an NHS.

This is what the P&O website says :

Medical treatment on board is classed as private care and as such is chargeable. The cost of these charges can vary depending on treatment, services and items used. A charge of £50 is applicable for a consultation prior to any treatment or medication. Any out of hours contact will result in higher charges.

It is advisable that you ensure you have appropriate travel insurance prior to sailing.

That means they can charge what they like IMHO.:(

I understand that these charges are in line with private consultations in the UK. I seem to remember this was the subject of an article in the Mail or Telegraph and headed, 'Don't get sick at sea' Something along those lines.

Gan Ganny

Dai

Private care is what it is private and cannot be compared to NHS althought it can be good at times.

Think how much dental treatment is privately and thank goodness for insurance policies.

I don't think that is an excessive charge to be honest.

Reality check here peeps. Medical care is expensive if you don't have an NHS to foot the Bill.

If you don't have adequate Insurance then I have to say that is not an issue for this forum.

If you are using the Freebie from your bank, then you are not adequately insured, equally not an issue for this forum.

Pay the nice doctor his fee. Swallow the excess, Claim on your insurance and the job is done.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but £500 to be treated for a nose bleed is not at all unreasonable in any country without an NHS.

Oh yes I am!

Excellent world wide cover including my pre existing medical conditions

Of course you have to check the fine print carefully.

Interesting point, you having to pay for that treatment. Americans get free treatment in our A&E departments and only incur costs if they have to go on a ward.

Dear cheekyscouse reading through the replies you have received looks like you are in the minority being annoyed.

Will we hear from you again I wonder?

Dear cheekyscouse reading through the replies you have received looks like you are in the minority being annoyed.

Will we hear from you again I wonder?

I am sure that a few adverse reactions to the post will not be enough to deter someone who maybe hails from that fine seaport.

Now you know why our NHS system is under tremendous strain with people from everywhere flooding hospitals for free treatment. I wonder how many would be there if they were charged as you are onboard a ship?

More than balanced by the fact that millions of Brits live abroad, how would the NHS and other services manage if they returned home.

Now you know why our NHS system is under tremendous strain with people from everywhere flooding hospitals for free treatment. I wonder how many would be there if they were charged as you are onboard a ship?

Agreed

So in reality if you have a nose bleed and you live abroad just book yourself a cheap flight to the UK to get treated and it will cost you less than being treated in your own country :mad:

Cheekyscouse, I also think £500 is a lot of money but I am not surprised by the cost of this treatment

Just think about vets fees, ours have run into thousands, thank goodness for insurance, but insurance is the reason they get away with charging so much in the first place !

Agreed

So in reality if you have a nose bleed and you live abroad just book yourself a cheap flight to the UK to get treated and it will cost you less than being treated in your own country :mad:

they would not let you on the plane ;)

Anyway the NHS hospital can and should claim the cost back from your home country. However many hospitals do not bother which leads to all those scary stories in the comics about 'foreigners'.

Anyway the NHS hospital can and should claim the cost back from your home country. However many hospitals do not bother which leads to all those scary stories in the comics about 'foreigners'.

lol ok point taken, a ferry then :D

If only life was that simple and all people were honest enough to give their correct details. Hospitals do not have the resources to mount investigations to chase money which should be paid. IMHO a valid national insurance document with photo id should be produced before treatment is given.

as per my initial post, the fact you are insured was irrelevant my point was that the charges were astronomical in relation to the treatment received and this is why insurance premiums are so high whether that be car or travel insurance, when you make a claim the medical/legal profession get rich.:mad: