Southwest Customer of Size

Princess Penguin

Telephone Southwest and get confirmation of this policy as of the day you make the call.

A verbal confirmation is a start, but if you run into issues later, you seldom get very far with "but when I called before someone told me....." Get it in writing.

Has anyone had actual experience with this policy? I have read the conditions and FAQs over and over and I am still not sure if I have it right. I buy two tickets. I take the flight. I email them and they refund the cost of the second seat. Is this correct?

Apparently so:

Customers who have purchased an additional seat to accommodate a special seating need due to size or disability may request a refund of the additional seat purchase by sending us an e-mail request at southwest.com/feedback or by calling Southwest at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792). Even if the flight experiences an oversale (having more confirmed Customers waiting to board than seats on the aircraft) we will refund the cost of the extra seat(s).

Which seems sort of crazy and I'm not sure how you could prevent abuse of this policy.

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=extra_seat_policy

Edited by 6rugrats

Thanks for the info. It sounds if we check in early and sit in the back of the plane with mom is the middle seat, we should be okay. Now if I could only stop obsessing! I’m definitely not going to be relaxed until the plane lands. This may be our one and only trip on Southwest. :o

Don't worry too much. My last trip (of 6 so far this year on Southwest) in a set of 3 seats me (about 2x size) in aisle, slightly larger woman in the middle and an even larger man in the window seat. The song cheek to cheek kept coming to mind but we all just stuck together and made the 2 hour flight enjoyable by just dealing with the situation. No complaints and we all made it fine. Early Bird (boarding first stages) works well. I actually fly a lot and I prefer the Southwest method of boarding -- faster easier and less rudeness than when seats assigned. Hated it at first but it does work fairly well. Few problems now with wheelchair and help needed folks. They put them on first in aisle and then other 2 seats in row still have to be filled and can't get in and out around the one with mobility problem. Probably need the wisdom of the prophets to determine how to handle that situation.

Just hope that there are no mean people on the flight -- world has too many meanies.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Which seems sort of crazy and I'm not sure how you could prevent abuse of this policy.

That's what I was thinking.

Thanks for the reply. I just couldn't decide if I was misreading the policy or not.

The refund policy has changed over the last couple of years. It used to be that the customer of size only got a refund if the plane had an extra seat and they didn't need to actually book two seats.. Now they refund no matter what. They use it for planning purposes. The issue is that many of the larger people don't wish to tie up their funds on a second seat.

The refund policy has changed over the last couple of years. It used to be that the customer of size only got a refund if the plane had an extra seat and they didn't need to actually book two seats.. Now they refund no matter what. They use it for planning purposes. The issue is that many of the larger people don't wish to tie up their funds on a second seat.

So, there is a chance that I get to suffer for their cheapness???? Sorry, but that is not a valid reason for a POS to not "pay" for the second seat. If someone can't afford to have those funds tied up, they need to re-evaluate their transportation. Drive, take a train, take a bus. Poor planning on their part does not justify my discomfort.

Slider girl, I do not disagree with you. If a person doesn't not fit into the space between the armrests, they should purchase the additional seat they need in order to not spill over into someone else's space. It doesn't matter if they have a medical condition, they still need to fit into the space allocated to them. Even a petite person is entitled to the space in the seat they purchased.

If a larger person is traveling with a small child, maybe they can use some of that space, but that means the small child may not be buckled in as securely as they should be.

For example, I traveled on SW last night. There were a couple of families on the plane, one is the row across the aisle from me. Dad was next to the window, mom on the aisle, and a child about 2 in the middle. The fasten seat belt sign was on the entire trip and it was quite a bumpy 3 hour ride. The two year old was not in a child safety seat, though. As a result, he spent a good amount of time on the mom's lap. While I appreciated that she kept the child entertained and he didn't fuss, it was a bumpy ride! If dad and mom had been larger, I could see them not buying extra seats, figuring they would spill over into the child's seat, though.

In this case, the plane was not full. If it had been, however, and a customer o f size had sat next to me, spilled into my space, and I had complained, I wonder how the FA would have handled it?

In this case, the plane was not full. If it had been, however, and a customer o f size had sat next to me, spilled into my space, and I had complained, I wonder how the FA would have handled it?

If the armrest can't be put down, and the flight is full, I believe they are supposed to offload the POS and put them on another flight. In reality does this happen? I am guessing not always.

They could always ask for volunteers to take another flight. In a perfect world, this should be caught by the GA before this person even boards.

So are you saying that anyone can buy a second seat for more comfort and then get a full refund?

And as a POS and regular Southwest customer, I still don't understand why this wouldn't be abused by a POT (person of thinness) to make sure they have an empty seat beside them? I mean wouldn't EVERYBODY want an empty middle?

And how do you keep someone from sitting in the seat you have bought but are going to get refunded? It just doesn't make sense:confused:

And how do you keep someone from sitting in the seat you have bought but are going to get refunded?
That's in the FAQ:-
What can I expect at the airport if I am a Customer of size?

Customers of size who purchase one or more seats in advance may check in online or through an E-Ticket Check-in kiosk1 to reserve their boarding positions, but they must see a Customer Service Agent at the gate to receive a Seat Reserved Document. ...

Can you ensure no one takes the seat beside me if I've secured a second seat?

The Customer who has secured more than one seat must be an active participant in preserving his/her additional seat. We encourage Customers of size to preboard to locate adequate seating and place the Seat Reserved Document in the adjacent seat. Our Ground Operations and Inflight Employees communicate about Customers’ needs, and if a Customer of size needs seating assistance, he/she should ask an Employee for help.

I wonder whether the expectation that the customer who's bought an extra seat must interact with the gate agent is intended to dissuade others from abusing this policy just to get an empty middle seat for free. But those with enough chutzpah could wear some very bulky clothes to make it look like they do need the seat after all.

Even if I wore four layers of clothing and a winter coat I couldn't pass for a COS. But I don't see anywhere that it says that a person has to be a COS to buy the second seat and then get a refund.

Interesting note, ducklite.

I haven't seen anyone abuse it, but would not be surprised at all.

The flight I was on last night was quite full. The last person to board with a woman with a young child. Why they did not board between A and B like they could have, I can only guess. I suspect they were running behind for some reason.

Anyway, the FA at the front come on the intercom and asked the FA at the back to secure two seats together for the woman and child. To which she yelled out, they don't exist. At that point, just about everything was full, there were just a few middle seats remaining. I commented to the woman next to me, that the FA needed to do her job and bribe someone to move. Yes, bribe. Often, people will move to allow a parent and child to sit together in exchange for a couple of free drinks.

I have to say, if I'm going to be on a very long flight, I might be tempted to purchase an extra wanna - get-away ticket to have the extra room. If I'm willing to purchase it, they better let me keep the extra seat!

I haven't seen anyone abuse it, but would not be surprised at all.

The flight I was on last night was quite full. The last person to board with a woman with a young child. Why they did not board between A and B like they could have, I can only guess. I suspect they were running behind for some reason.

Anyway, the FA at the front come on the intercom and asked the FA at the back to secure two seats together for the woman and child. To which she yelled out, they don't exist. At that point, just about everything was full, there were just a few middle seats remaining. I commented to the woman next to me, that the FA needed to do her job and bribe someone to move. Yes, bribe. Often, people will move to allow a parent and child to sit together in exchange for a couple of free drinks.

I have to say, if I'm going to be on a very long flight, I might be tempted to purchase an extra wanna - get-away ticket to have the extra room. If I'm willing to purchase it, they better let me keep the extra seat!

Actually I don't see it as abuse. If one person can do it, than anyone wanting extra space should be allowed to do it. And if a COS is allowed the refund, so should anyone who purchased the extra seat. The only exception might be someone with a lap baby, because in that case, a soul does actually occupy the seat during transit.

I agree, that anyone who buys the extra seat in advance should absolutely be given that seat.

My dh had an interesting event happen to him on one trip. The only seats available were toward the back. In the row was a man which was quite large and really took up the window seat and half of the middle seat so my dh sat down in the isle seat and I sat in the seat directly behind him. Well no sooner then we had settled in then a woman also very large came down the isle. The only seat available was the middle seat which was half taken by the gentleman. She asked my husband to "move over". I think my poor dh was in shock. He didn't know what to say. She just stood there expecting him to move. Finally the flight attendent came up and told him that there was one more seat across from me that was available. A woman with a lap child had sat the child in the seat so the flight attendent simply told the woman that she needed to put the child on her lap so dh could sit down. It worked ok as the woman moved to the window and sat the child on her lap. She had one older child sit in the middle seat and dh sat on the isle. The other two people who where both very large took up the whole three seats. I really don't know what would have happened if someone else had needed the seat.

I think it is a good idea for people who are quite large and need two seats to buy them and that way everyone is accomodated.

Anyway, the FA at the front come on the intercom and asked the FA at the back to secure two seats together for the woman and child.!

Sorry, but considering the topic of discussion, does FA refer to Flight Attendant, or are referring to a not-so-nice name for COS'?

FA=flight attendant

Hflors, that sounds just horrible.

I have to say I'm not a fan of lap babies, either. But not my business. Glad it worked out for your DH.

I do still like the way Southwest does things, compared to assigned seats. My DS was stuck next to a COS when we flew from ORD to Zurich in June. Not only did the guy spill over, he also couldn't work the technology to watch the on board movies. DS managed, but was glad not to be stuck next to a large person on the way home. With assigned states, though, that was just how it was.

FA=flight attendant

Hflors, that sounds just horrible.

I have to say I'm not a fan of lap babies, either. But not my business. Glad it worked out for your DH.

I do still like the way Southwest does things, compared to assigned seats. My DS was stuck next to a COS when we flew from ORD to Zurich in June. Not only did the guy spill over, he also couldn't work the technology to watch the on board movies. DS managed, but was glad not to be stuck next to a large person on the way home. With assigned states, though, that was just how it was.

Southwest-a total looser in my book for a whole lot a reasons. Generally HIGHER prices than you could have booked on a legacy airline MONTHS before Southwest opened their scheduled. AND with a CONFIRMED SEAT. Generally better prices BEFORE Southwest opens their schedule. That is their business model-be the CHEAPEST on the DAY THEY OPEN THEIR SCHEDULE. But legacy airlines have been selling CHEAPER seats (including luggage fees) 3 months BEFORE Southwest opens their schedule.

Why didn't you change seats so your DS was not SQUASHED into a seat? I would have thrown a bitch fit if this would have happened to me. Flying 100,000+ plus miles per year gives you a VERY large perspective on the seating. I pick the back of the plane ALWAYS if I have to fly coach (rarely). Why put up with such nonsense???

Southwest-a total looser in my book for a whole lot a reasons. Generally HIGHER prices than you could have booked on a legacy airline MONTHS before Southwest opened their scheduled. AND with a CONFIRMED SEAT. Generally better prices BEFORE Southwest opens their schedule. That is their business model-be the CHEAPEST on the DAY THEY OPEN THEIR SCHEDULE. But legacy airlines have been selling CHEAPER seats (including luggage fees) 3 months BEFORE Southwest opens their schedule.

Why didn't you change seats so your DS was not SQUASHED into a seat? I would have thrown a bitch fit if this would have happened to me. Flying 100,000+ plus miles per year gives you a VERY large perspective on the seating. I pick the back of the plane ALWAYS if I have to fly coach (rarely). Why put up with such nonsense???

For my annual trip to FLL/MIA, I start pricing seats out about 11 months. I do compare to what WN tends to sell for, after paying luggage fees. Generally, WN is no more expensive, offers a non-stop flight, and works for our schedule. For someone who only uses a plane to travel once or twice a year, it works. The non-stop flights on the legacy airlines tend to be at terrible times of the day from my preferred airport.

As for DS on the international flight, he is 18, and choose not to speak up. We didn't realize the guy next to him was taking up some of his space until after the flight was over. There were 5 of us, in a 2 seat configuration, and DS was the one sitting by himself. He tends to just roll with the flow.

Apparently so:

Customers who have purchased an additional seat to accommodate a special seating need due to size or disability may request a refund of the additional seat purchase by sending us an e-mail request at southwest.com/feedback or by calling Southwest at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792). Even if the flight experiences an oversale (having more confirmed Customers waiting to board than seats on the aircraft) we will refund the cost of the extra seat(s).

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=extra_seat_policy

Apparently Southwest gate agents evaluate the necessity for the extra seat.

Apparently Southwest gate agents evaluate the necessity for the extra seat.

The problem is that some people might buy the extra seat for a valid reason other than size. They might have knee problems and need the room to stretch for example. Asking passengers to state the need for the extra seat violates a lot of privacy laws.

• 3 weeks later...
Did I miss something? Why aren't you just buying a second seat? Then you don't have to stress at all. You and your mom could even split the cost, since she'd be presumably be benefiting also.

Don't be ridiculous! Would you want to pay double the price for your airline ticket. Airfare is already way too expensive! I don't have this issue but even just buying one seat, I usually spend as much for airfare as I do for an entire week long cruise. Obesity is a chronic disease, not a bad habit, and I get so sick of people who feel like folks with this disease need to be punished for having it! Airlines are required to accommodate other disabilities so they should have to accommodate that one too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Don't be ridiculous! Would you want to pay double the price for your airline ticket. Airfare is already way too expensive! I don't have this issue but even just buying one seat, I usually spend as much for airfare as I do for an entire week long cruise. Obesity is a chronic disease, not a bad habit, and I get so sick of people who feel like folks with this disease need to be punished for having it! Airlines are required to accommodate other disabilities so they should have to accommodate that one too.

I think you are missing the point. Southwest refunds your money for the second seat after the flight, so you end up paying for just one seat. I don't agree that obesity is a chronic disease. Not sure when we turned into such a, "It's not my fault society" and started attributing everything to a disease state.

For the vast majority of people being overweight is simply the outcome of consuming more calories then their bodies use. Excess calories = fat being stored. My DH did much research and work in the obesity field, and I will agree many chronic over eaters have underlying psychological problems they need to deal with, but it was not a "disease".