Just got Back from Carnival... Is Disney worth it?

firstcruiseever

We got off the Carnival glory yesterday. We thought the ship was very clean (a bit worn though - but didn't affect us.) We agreed we would not take our three boys on a Carnival cruise because of the "spring break" like atmosphere on the Lido deck. We were dismayed to see the "hairy chest contest" and the "sexy shower scene" competitions at the pool - in front of many children. Food is subject to opinion; we thought the carnival steakhouse to be amazing, but the MDR was so-so. We had a fun time on the ship - but we plan to bring our kids next time and plan on trying Disney.

We were dismayed to see the "hairy chest contest" and the "sexy shower scene" competitions at the pool - in front of many children.

In a nutshell, this is the biggest difference between DCL and a fair number of the mainstream lines. You simply don't find this type of trashy behavior on DCL. I don't care if it's spring break with college kids or beer bellied 50 year olds, it's skanky and tasteless.

Edited by ducklite

in a nutshell, this is the biggest difference between dcl and a fair number of the mainstream lines. You simply don't find this type of trashy behavior on dcl. I don't care if it's spring break with college kids or beer bellied 50 year olds, it's skanky and tasteless.

bingo!

Akk

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

I decided to do some research before replying, because I'd never heard of Carnival doing anything like a "sexy shower scene"......and I found nothing about it on Google or elsewhere.

As for the hairy chest contest, I just don't think it's a big deal. I don't see it as trashy or "skanky" ....which I always thought applied more to describing women than men, anyway. :confused:

I have seen plenty of posts on other boards, people complaining that they (and their children) saw scantily clothed women on the Disney ships (thong bikinis) and I've seen them myself....some might say that's skanky, others don't think anything of it at all.

If you don't want your kids exposed to "surprises" then you really can't take them outside the house at all. There's a whole website designated to "The People of Walmart".....:eek:

In other words, you WILL find something on Disney, or anywhere, that someone is bound to think is trashy or skanky. If you object to something, remove yourself. It's that simple.

I think it's really sad that DCL will no longer be doing the skit "If I Were Not Upon the Sea" just because some people thought it was "racy" and complained. :(

In a nutshell, this is the biggest difference between DCL and a fair number of the mainstream lines. You simply don't find this type of trashy behavior on DCL. I don't care if it's spring break with college kids or beer bellied 50 year olds, it's skanky and tasteless.

No you just see some of the skanky dresses in the dining rooms and clubs

No you just see some of the skanky dresses in the dining rooms and clubs

Never saw a Skanky dress in the Dining rooms. I do not care for Clubs so I cannot comment on them.

I can state from 2 short carnival cruises years ago, I saw more drunks and load partying and fights/riots (try U tube videos, at least 2 are there).

No, you cannot compare carnival to DCL in any way shape or form! Their whole advertising is cheap and partying!

Not to mention the years of safety issues.

AKK

Never saw a Skanky dress in the Dining rooms. I do not care for Clubs so I cannot comment on them.

I can state from 2 short carnival cruises years ago' date=' I saw more drunks and load partying and fights/riots (try U tube videos, at least 2 are there).

No, you cannot compare carnival to DCL in any way shape or form! Their whole advertising is cheap and partying!

Not to mention the years of safety issues.

AKK[/quote']

Google Images for Formal Night Disney.......or look at the pictures on people's trip reports. :eek:

LOTS of inappropriate cleavage.

Google Images for Formal Night Disney.......or look at the pictures on people's trip reports. :eek:

LOTS of inappropriate cleavage.

What do you consider "inappropriate?" Any cleavage? Most of the people I saw on DCL could have been going to Sunday church with what they had on.

I'm with the Skipper, I'd rather see some cleavage than drunken brawls, hairy chest contests, and sexy shower scene competitions.

Edited by ducklite

What do you consider "inappropriate?" Any cleavage? Most of the people I saw on DCL could have been going to Sunday church with what they had on.

I'm with the Skipper, I'd rather see some cleavage than drunken brawls, hairy chest contests, and sexy shower scene competitions.

Well I am a guy so I am somewhat in favor of cleavage. :D

AKK

But anyway.....as I said, I found NOTHING about a "sexy shower scene"....and haven't seen it onboard or in their dailies, either.

You two (Skipper and Duckie) are just being obstinate because you have strong feelings against Carnival. When it comes to people onboard and their clothing choices, there's no difference between the two lines. There will ALWAYS be people who dress inappropriately...everywhere. That was one of the bigger complaints DCL ever had....their uninforced dress code. And now they allow shorts in the dining rooms. And boy, have I seen some shorts!:eek: Shortshortshortshorts....with cheeks peeking out.

I've also seen (and there are videos somewhere) of a few drunken brawls on Disney....again, no one is immune.

While they need "what Not to Wear," they are far from skanky.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

You're absolutely right...they are not "skanky". I noted that these weren't the young gals we see quite a bit of....in more ways than one. Just an example of what I think of as too much cleavage, since you asked me.

And to me, this is inappropriate...and not Sunday church wear.

But anyway.....as I said, I found NOTHING about a "sexy shower scene"....and haven't seen it onboard or in their dailies, either.

You two (Skipper and Duckie) are just being obstinate because you have strong feelings against Carnival. When it comes to people onboard and their clothing choices, there's no difference between the two lines. There will ALWAYS be people who dress inappropriately...everywhere. That was one of the bigger complaints DCL ever had....their uninforced dress code. And now they allow shorts in the dining rooms. And boy, have I seen some shorts!:eek: Shortshortshortshorts....with cheeks peeking out.

I've also seen (and there are videos somewhere) of a few drunken brawls on Disney....again, no one is immune.

The sexy shower scene was part of the "Mr and Mrs Glory competition" for the best couple on the ship.

The sexy shower scene was part of the "Mr and Mrs Glory competition" for the best couple on the ship.

I guess I've missed that. Repeatedly. Probably didn't pay attention because there was only one cruise on Carnival that I took with my husband (the others were with girlfriends) and neither one of us care to be Mr and Mrs Glory.:p

Instead, we stole the "newlywed" show once, and we weren't even on the panel. We brought the house down with our "worst marriage proposal" story.

I have to admit, this is silly....but I've looked through tons of Fun Times, and don't see any contest like the one mentioned.

I did notice that the Hairy Chest contest does say "adults only"....although I still don't know why.

One afternoon, a group of ladies were having brunch in the private dining room at Palo when a group of men in Speedos decided to stand outside the window and put on a show. :p:p:p I'd rather see a hairy chest, thank you.

Never seen a drunken brawl or sexy shower scenes on any cruise I have been on but I have seen many women scantily dressed on all cruises I've been on. If that's the way you want to dress go for it. I'm not a cruise snob to think it only happens on Carnival.

Never seen a drunken brawl or sexy shower scenes on any cruise I have been on but I have seen many women scantily dressed on all cruises I've been on. If that's the way you want to dress go for it. I'm not a cruise snob to think it only happens on Carnival.

I saw it on Royal Caribbean. Not a brawl, but a lot of dry is including a drunk teenager who,puked I. The hall right outside our suite as we were pulling out of Cozumel. That was special.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Seems as I am a Obstinate one, so I will point out again that evening gowns are considered totally acceptable public attire.

Carnival's party atmosphere , drunk parties and things like *Sexy Shower Scening* is not for kids.

Add that to the safety us issues, and other carnival issues are the reason Carnival is giving away cruise at rock bottom prices, reducing the quality of amenities on vessels trying to hold one.

DCL is keeping the vessel cabin selling at a high rate, proving the market place agrees DCL is providing the better cruises and they are willing to pay for the higher quality.

So I guess when the facts are layed out it proves I am not obstinate, just right!

However everyone is free to go on whatever cruise they wish, they get what they pay for.

AKK

Seems as I am a Obstinate one' date=' so I will point out again that evening gowns are considered totally acceptable public attire.

Carnival's party atmosphere , drunk parties and things like *Sexy Shower Scening* is not for kids.

Add that to the safety us issues, and other carnival issues are the reason Carnival is giving away cruise at rock bottom prices, reducing the quality of amenities on vessels trying to hold one.

DCL is keeping the vessel cabin selling at a high rate, proving the market place agrees DCL is providing the better cruises and they are willing to pay for the higher quality.

So I guess when the facts are layed out it proves I am not obstinate, just right!

However everyone is free to go on whatever cruise they wish, they get what they pay for.

AKK[/quote']

Comparing how DCL markets there cruises with how Carnival markets their cruises is like comparing BMW to Smart Car.

Comparing how DCL markets there cruises with how Carnival markets their cruises is like comparing BMW to Smart Car.

and this follows right along with the facts I listed above and supports taking DCL cruise is like shopping at Macy's and Sacks and taking a carnival cruise is like shopping at Wal mart and K mart. You get what you pay for.

AKK

I actually contacted John Heald....I wanted to hear from the one person who would know for sure..... NO SEXY SHOWER SCENE.

In deference to the poster who said they saw it, all I can guess is that maybe a passenger who was in the contest went "rogue".

But if you've ever watched DCL's Match Your Mate, you've also heard some things you never really needed to know.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app