Bonine? Meclizine? Sea Bands?? Which One?

Does Meclizine help for both sea sickness and vertigo?? and If so.. can you buy it over the counter or does it have to be a prescription???

Yes, is for both conditions, and can buy OTC or get prescription. One trade name for meclizine is Bonine, another is Antivert. Usual Rx from MD is 25mg, same as in OTC pill. Is also an antihistamine, even though many have said nondrowsy, so care when driving, no alcohol, etc, and can leave you with same side effects as other antihistamines (dry mouth, etc.).

Yes, is for both conditions, and can buy OTC or get prescription. One trade name for meclizine is Bonine, another is Antivert. Usual Rx from MD is 25mg, same as in OTC pill. Is also an antihistamine, even though many have said nondrowsy, so care when driving, no alcohol, etc, and can leave you with same side effects as other antihistamines (dry mouth, etc.).

Thanks for the info.. ugg dry mouth I dislike that.. but if it keeps me from being sea sick and drives away my vertigo.. I will deal with it :)

You could probably take along a bag of candied ginger. I think they call it crystalized ginger. All it is is candied ginger...it'll work. More fun to eat than to swallow a pill and it's closer to its natural form.:D

Thanks for the advise. I ordered a bag of candied ginger from The Ginger People on-line. It costs $7.00 for a 9 oz bag.

Since I won't be sailing anywhere until the October Carnival Liberty, I can't really test it out. Maybe I'll have my husband drive the car, I'll eat the ginger and I'll try to read the map without throwing up! LOL

Thanks again,

Leslie

Thanks for all the help and insight!! I am not sure I like the idea of the bands, so I think I am gonna stick with the Meclizine. It worked last time, so I am expecting it will help me this time too.

I would also like to find the ginger that all of you mentioned. I will have to shop around for it! I am not sailing until August 28th, so I do have some time to find it!!

Thanks!!

I have used the sea bands and I love them! I also keep dramamine just in case. Flat coke or coke syrup also works wonders once the nausea sets in. MY doctor will not even let me use the patch - will not prescribe it. Its side effects are crazy and often the same as suffering from motion sickness. As another option, there is also a watch-type thing that the pilots use. It is around $70-80 and I have heard really good things about it. Enjoy your cruise!

You can find crystalized ginger, ginger candy, and ginger tea in most any asian market. I just came off a small sailing vessel with 8 ft. swells crossing the gulf stream. It was pretty rough out there virtually everyone on board to include some of the crew were sea sick. Bonine, Dramamine, etc. needed to be taken before you feel any symptoms otherwise you will not see relief. The ginger worked well for me. Sucked on a small piece of ginger during the rough stuff and stayed in the fresh air.

Archived