Gluten Free on Royal Caribbean

Dorh

I know plenty about cruising GF as an adult, not so much as a child.... suggest you contact special_needs@rccl.com with your reservation details in the first instance.

After boarding contact the Head Waiter in the Main Dining Room as well as speaking to a chef in the WindJammer who will walk you through the options.

Breakfast options include GF muffins, pancakes, french toast, bagels and bread (recommend asking for bread to be toasted). You can get GF pizza lunch times at sea in the MDR. Highly recommend requesting meals a day ahead.

I know plenty about cruising GF as an adult, not so much as a child.... suggest you contact special_needs@rccl.com with your reservation details in the first instance.

After boarding contact the Head Waiter in the Main Dining Room as well as speaking to a chef in the WindJammer who will walk you through the options.

Breakfast options include GF muffins, pancakes, french toast, bagels and bread (recommend asking for bread to be toasted). You can get GF pizza lunch times at sea in the MDR. Highly recommend requesting meals a day ahead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am on a GF diet, traveling on IOS in February 2014. Are all the ships the same in the manner in which they handle a GF diet? I am scheduled for My Time Dining....does that matter?

Thanks!

Edited by Babs from Bston

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am on a GF diet, traveling on IOS in February 2014. Are all the ships the same in the manner in which they handle a GF diet? I am scheduled for My Time Dining....does that matter?

Thanks!

Hi, pretty much yes though in my experience some are way better than others. When dining My Time you can ask to be seated in the same area so you have the same waitstaff and don't need to go through the whole story more than once (the day you board). It may help to reserve a table each night to ensure that but to date I've always been seated in the same area when dining at different times.

Your waiter will give you then next day's menu for you to choose your meal..... just because an item has the GF logo next to it doesn't mean it is..... just means it can be on request..... I've asked for other items without the logo to be prepared GF and that hasn't been a problem.

Be careful of cross contamination in the WJ by people not aware of the special needs of a gluten free diet, and inappropriate use of utensils.

Someone could just use the tongs or utensils and inadvertantly move them for non-gluten free items to gluten free, thus ruining the food for others not knowing how critical it is.

Best to stay with MDR, or special request areas.

Sea Ya

Our experience with our daughter (who has celiacs) has been stellar. We could nor have asked for better. She even had dinner in Chops one evening and the head waiter met with the waiters there to be sure she had a GF dinner.

We're going again in January. Hoping it's another great experience!

edit: On some of the GF boards, Royal Caribbean is recommended as as good place to vacation because they are careful and aware.

Edited by MS52

Be careful of cross contamination in the WJ by people not aware of the special needs of a gluten free diet, and inappropriate use of utensils.

Someone could just use the tongs or utensils and inadvertantly move them for non-gluten free items to gluten free, thus ruining the food for others not knowing how critical it is.

Best to stay with MDR, or special request areas.

Sea Ya

That's why they have an entirely separate station set up for gluten free meals. There is no way any cross contamination can happen with the way it's set up. :)

That's why they have an entirely separate station set up for gluten free meals. There is no way any cross contamination can happen with the way it's set up. :)

Unfortunately this was not true on our Allure sailing, so be careful where you chose to eat.

Maybe things have changed from July, and I can check again this upcoming July.

Sea Ya

It's true for the main dining room, but in the windjammer it would be very easy for cross contamination to occur. For instance, a passenger could dip the crouton spoon tInto the cheese. It's something most people wouldn't even think about unless they have experience with a GF diet.

As great as our experience was for our daughter, the chef advised her against eating in the Windjammer for just that reason. He couldn't guarantee that cross contamination wouldn't happen. We preferred to error on the side of caution and stuck with the MDR.