Does NCL allow for "Self Assisted Disembarkment" ?

Jacquelyn11

On my recent RCCL cruise we were allowed to take our own luggage off ourselves rather than send it to the luggage corals (or conveyor belt). Another poster had the issue with someone picking up "your" bag when it looked like "theirs".

Wondered if NCL allows the same thing?

Jacquelyn :D

Yes, NCL does allow that. It did on our 6/26/05 Star cruise to Alaska. You have to take all of your own luggage out at one time with no staff assistance. People that did this were the first allowed to leave the ship (7:30am).

I was on the Dawn April 3rd and they did not allow us to carry our luggage off. On my other two cruises on the Dawn, we were allowed. Of course on the the April 3rd cruise they put my friends bag in the wrong color location.

I was on the Dawn April 3rd and they did not allow us to carry our luggage off. On my other two cruises on the Dawn, we were allowed. Of course on the the April 3rd cruise they put my friends bag in the wrong color location.

They had the express debarkation on the Dawn 6/19 sailing.

When we were on the Dawn they allowed that. Our cruise was awhile ago though. I'm wondering, is this new policy on the Dawn or was it just on that particular sailing for some reason?

I believe you will find that every cruise line will allow U.S. citizens to disembark in a U.S. port with your luggage any time after the ship is cleared. They may strongly suggest that you follow the color code, but they really can't stop you. In port in the U.S. they have no juristiction over a U.S. citizen.

Peter

They may strongly suggest that you follow the color code, but they really can't stop you.

We definitely observed that in Vancouver last month... several people getting off with express disembarkation with nothing but a very small bag each.

With express disembarkation, you are taking *all* of your luggage with you. We found it quite odd these people had such a very, very small amount of luggage for a one-week Alaska cruise. (Everyone else seemed to have 2-3 large bags, and these people had one small bag that could easily fit under the seat on an airplane - I couldn't imagine packing for a week in colder weather with just one tiny bag). We figured they were really a certain color group and just decided to try to be first off the ship anyway and wait for their luggage. The announcements said that luggage was offloaded from the ship at different times according to color, so getting off before your color was called meant that you may not see ANY luggage from your color if you disembark early. Announcements were made in three languages our week: English, German, and French. These could have also possibly been people that didn't speak one of those three languages so they might not have had a clue what they were doing due to a language barrier. We did not see anyone stopping them from getting off with express disembarkation. Probably made for longer lines going through customs for those who had earlier flights and really needed to be off early when later people decided get off earlier than their designated colored tag time/announcement. We were disembarking with the concierge and our meeting place was near the gangway, so we observed the express disembarkation before we were led off.

Our experiences on HAL in US port, disembarking passengers would have the "disembarkation group tag" in hand to show when going down (they were numbered, not colored). That way you got off when your designated timeslot was called that you signed up for (early flights, late flights, etc). NCL did not have you take anything to disembark except your cruisecard on our past three cruises with them (disembarking in US and in Canada).

One additional comment: we are not American and therefore could not use "express disembarkation" However we had no problem whatsoever walking off with our luggage when our colour was called. We did not have to leave our luggage out the night before. I wouldn't recommend this unless you travel fairly lightly (we had one medium sized wheeley each and one small pack each).

One additional comment: we are not American and therefore could not use "express disembarkation"

Are you sure about this? This is the first time I hear of this.

We are Canadians, and were planning to take our own luggage for the express disembarkation. This is the first time someone mentions it is only for Americans??? :confused:

OK - there seems to be some confusion between disembarking with your luggage and "express" disembarkation (which basically means disembarking WITH your luggage (not leaving it outside your room to be transported to the dock) AND being the first group off the ship). If you use "express disembarkation you MUST carry your own luggage off the ship.

Only US citizens get "express" disembarkation (first group off).

Canadians (and other non US citizens) CAN disembark carrying their own luggage. They don't have to leave it outside their rooms (UNLESS they want to).

Archived