Questions about wine

jg51

Hello!

We have come across conflicting statements concerning wine, so we hope to receive clarification from one or more of you good people. We will use the word, "prepaid," instead of the word, "free," because NOTHING in life (or at least nothing in crusing) is truly "free." One must pay (either in advance or at the end of the cruise). We pay for wine before boarding the steamboat.

1. Is prepaid wine served only with the evening meal, or also with the midday meal? (We have heard both answers. We would like for the correct answer to be, "both meals.")

2. Can a guest order a glass of white wine with "starters" and then switch to red wine with a (meat) main course?

3. Is there a limit on the number of glasses of wine one may request with either or both meals?

4. After initial glasses of wine are poured, is the bottle left for guests to pour additional glasses, or is pouring done only by a crew member?

5. What is the alcohol content of the wines? Typical percentages vary from about 9% (some Rieslings, etc.) to about 14% (some Chardonnays, etc.).

We are veterans of the Delta Queen (2006) and American Queen (2007) under prior ownership, and we are trying to decide whether or not to go "steamboatin'" again.

Many thanks for helpful replies.

Hello!

1. Is prepaid wine served only with the evening meal, or also with the midday meal? (We have heard both answers. We would like for the correct answer to be, "both meals.")

We had wine/beer included at both lunch & dinner

2. Can a guest order a glass of white wine with "starters" and then switch to red wine with a (meat) main course?

YES I am sure you could they just come to the table with bottles of the "included" wine

3. Is there a limit on the number of glasses of wine one may request with either or both meals? they just kept pouring until you said no thanks I only got to 2 that is all I can handle :)

4. After initial glasses of wine are poured, is the bottle left for guests to pour additional glasses, or is pouring done only by a crew member?

Wait staff will come back to pour

5. What is the alcohol content of the wines? Typical percentages vary from about 9% (some Rieslings, etc.) to about 14% (some Chardonnays, etc.).

Many thanks for helpful replies.

I did not check the alcohol content they did have a variety of different wines but I think just 1 white & 1 red option per meal

I did not really notice

We enjoyed the steamboat cruise

Lyn

On our trip, they did not serve the "free" wine at lunch. They did at dinner, and even after dinner (until about 8 or 8:30 when they stopped serving dinner) you could get additional glasses at the bar in the café at the Front Porch.

I have been on three trips with The American Queen Steamboat Co, the most recent during late July. I have never been offered beer or wine in the dining room at lunch time as is done during dinner. I have never asked for it at lunch though, so I don't know if it will be served free of charge at that time or not.