Online Check In Up And Running

I am having trouble getting this complete for my November Navigator sailing. I can get as far as printing out the sail pass, but it tells me it will e-mail me when I am able to print it?????

Anybody else have this problem? Do you have to wait until after final payment is made before you can print a boarding pass?

Jen

Interestingly, I was able to complete the documents for a September cruise on the Empress, but not for a December Brilliance cruise. I thought maybe it had something to do with final payment -- which isn't due for the Brilliance until September.

When are you sailing on the Empress? We are on her the 26th of Sept. I just checked online & we can do our Sail-pass too. Neat, now I just have to wait for my folks to get home from Ohio so I can get their credit card info & we will be good to go. I did our online Doc's months ago, some days I just LOVE computers!:D

Guest OBAYbee

The entire article can be viewed here http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1326

Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Test Online Registration

In an effort to streamline the embarkation check-in process, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are in the midst of testing a new program that would permit passengers to fully register for cruises before they even leave home.

The online program is currently offered onboard Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas and Celebrity's Zenith (the Miami-based ships were chosen for the test because they were geographically closest to Royal Caribbean's Guest Port Services staffers in case of problems). Passengers can fill out personal and immigration information via each cruise line's Web site, acknowledge agreement with cruise ticket contract terms, and even set up credit cards for incidentals onboard. At the pier, folks provide their identification and printouts -- complete with barcodes -- which are scanned into a computer. Their SeaPass card is immediately proffered.

While many cruise lines offer some of these options, none, according to Royal Caribbean's Juan Trescastro, offer the full service as of yet. "Ships are just getting bigger and bigger," he says, "and the window to process guests stays the same. We're trying to expedite the process on the pier."

Trescastro makes a particularly sound point when he notes that "guests don't buy 'check-in' they buy the cruise. We want to have a fast, friendly and really forgettable service..."

Trescastro notes that in the first two weeks of the test, roughly 30 to 35 percent of passengers tried out the new system. As a result, check-in wait times, which at peak times can average 15 to 20 minutes, instead lasted about 3 to 3.5 minutes.

He notes that peak times -- during which 80 percent of passengers register -- generally takes place between noon and 2:30 p.m. (boarding times usually range from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). The "longest wait we had was five to six minutes in the queue," he says.

Passengers who file their registration information in advance have up until the last business day prior to sailing in which to do so.

Following this laboratory effort, Royal Caribbean will likely begin to roll out the program in early July with Majesty, Explorer, Adventure, Sovereign, Mariner and Empress of the Seas.

Celebrity will begin expanding the program to some of its ships in mid-to-end of July with Infinity and Summit. Ships sailing in Europe -- Galaxy and Millennium in particular -- should get the option in August with Constellation joining the ranks in September.

I got the same message. I was also wondering if final payment (December) was needed before printing out the boarding pass. It does make sense.

I'll call RC and find out.

I'll be back...

I am having trouble getting this complete for my November Navigator sailing. I can get as far as printing out the sail pass, but it tells me it will e-mail me when I am able to print it?????

Anybody else have this problem? Do you have to wait until after final payment is made before you can print a boarding pass?

Jen

Hello everyone- well we don't cruise till December and I had no trouble accessing the online forms. We even booked thru AOL travel/Travelocity not thru RCCL and had no problem. Iwould say keep sticking with it. You have to go to royal carribbean website go to things to know before you go- go to boarding documents and follow the prompts from there. Just give it time I am sure it will be up and running for all soon. :D

I will be patient until after final payment in September. But....it seems others have been able to print them before the final payment is made..?????

I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I used my debit/check card instead of a regular Visa? Hopefully they won't put a "hold" on my check card until we board. That would be disasterous!

Thanks for checking with RCI.

We were FINALLY able to get our boarding docs done on line and got the sail pass done. It took us several nites to complete this whole process as we live in the country and still have the dial up internet ( yep some of us still use this!) and it kept slowing up and then would kick itself out with the security link. I did not think that we would ever get this completed.

Now if we could only book our shore excursions as we sail in Oct and still cannot do this.We have never had this problem with booking shore excursions before. I know of others that are booked to sail in Sept and they cannot book shore excursions yet either.

I have tried a number of times but nowhere do I see anything for online checkin. Is it only available to those who are booked directly with RCI or for everyone? I guess I'll just check in when I get to PC and being in a suite I get to go in the "special" line!!!:D

Just tried to check my reservation this am and got to the online check in section. HOORAY!!! Now I don't feel left out. I will do it tonight when hubby is home. Guess it just took a few days for it to work for Sovereign. :)

I just checked in for the August 29th sailing on the Monarch, and did not seem "clunky" at all. However, I could not print anything, but gave my email address, which I assume that the documents will be emailed to me. Am I wrong on this? :eek: Someone that has completed the process please fill me in.:confused:

Rick

Was it just asking for your passport information or did you also have the section where you entered your credit card for your onboard seapass account. The online checkin takes your credit card information and then let's you print out your setsail pass with a barcode on the top and the bottom. After I entered my credit card and then agreed to the terms, it took me to the screen to print out the setsail pass.

Archived