Where are my BlackJack players??

CruiseAddict1982

As someone who has played plenty of practice hands of blackjack online in order to completely memorize basic strategy, I've learned one thing about BJ players on cruises.

Everyone is an expert, and maybe one or two other people on the whole cruise really know basic strategy from top to bottom.

During my lower limit sessions on Breakaway just last week during hit on soft 17 games, I couldn't find a table that didn't contain a 60 year old expert willing to help teach the 24 year old "novice"...always with bad advice.

I am the type of player who isn't bothered by other players making wrong moves, because I understand it does nothing to change the long term odds of the game, only just the outcome of one certain hand. It will help as much as it hurts and anyone who calls someone an idiot for how they play is likely a degenerate who doesn't understand this. I however, was called an idiot in at least 3 different languages during this cruise. I also garnered a loco comment from a Spanish speaking player.

Bad looks come generally from the following, and are usually followed by some sort of lecture:

Hitting 12 against a 2 and 3.

Hitting soft 18 against a 10

Doubling 11 against an A.

Splitting 6s against 2 through 6.

Splitting 2s against a 7

Splitting 3s against a 7

Doubling soft 19 against a 6.

Etc, etc.

Of course, if you look up basic strategy of the game you'll find all of these are the correct moves, but everyone thinks they know what they're talking about...to the point it made my cruise less enjoyable and every time I had a 12 and the dealer flipped a 3 I braced for ridicule.

If you go through this thread alone you'll see these "know it all" players recommending never splitting 6s and to stand on 12 against a 2 through 6...both bad moves but they talk like they know their stuff.

I just don't know what it is about cruise line blackjack players that make them think they are superior to others with no basic knowledge of the game.

Granted, I did see some terrible moves on the ship. Usually standing on 16 against a 10 was a common one. The worst was splitting 5s against an 8. No idea what that guy was thinking, but I never made a comment about his play, even though the dealer more or less pleaded with him not to do it.

My suggestion for all you players who actually know the game (probably less than 1% who read this)...take a basic strategy card and in extreme cases of harassment from other players, throw it in their face and tell them to learn the game. I think I'm going to next time.

Edited by chickenface