No self serve washer/dryer currently on Empress

jimlssi

In response to my question to management, I received this email response:

"I do not believe the Empress is equipped with a self-serve washer and dryer."

I replied that they had one on the Queen, so why not the Empress? In this day of lighter packing due to weight/size restrictions on luggage, I think a washer dryer is a necessity on a cruise vessel. I hope that management reconsiders this while the boat is in refit mode. If you agree, please jump in and maybe management will read it here.

Thanks

Jim

St. Simons Island, Ga

Jim,

I think it´s mainly because the AQ always had a free washer and dryer and as far as I remember the Empress of the North never had one ;).

BTW many (if not most) cruise ships do not have a guest laundry (free or for charge). But all of them do offer a laundry service (charge).

steamboats

I would be happy to pay for either a washer/dryer, or onboard laundry service, just to cut down on the packing. Not looking for a freebe. I recall on the American Clipper they had neither, so they made arrangements at one of the midweek ports for a one day laundry service ashore...that would work also.

Jim

In those golden days of The Delta Queen Steamboat Co. a passenger could arrange with the Purser's Office on the DELTA QUEEN to have dry cleaning done off of the boat. If it was just laundry oft times a passenger could ask their maid to wash it using the crew's washer and dryer literally up behind the boilers.

Edited by Calliope

• 2 weeks later...

Just for a backup plan, I contacted the Chambers of Commerce in The Dalles, and Stevenson, which are kind of midway points for the week, and got the name of a self serve laundry mat in those towns. I plan to make that information available to the Purser when we board, if he doesn't already have it. We are on the third week of the 2014 season.

Jim

• 3 months later...