HAL Oosterdam or Island Princess

brookeinmn

Hi everyone. As a former TA, I'm in charge of booking a big multi-generational trip to Alaska. We have it narrowed it down to HAL Oosterdam or Coral Princess.

Our family of four would like to stay together. Who has the most comfortable quad? We are looking at a mini-suite with Princess or a Verandah cabin with HAL. With Princess we at least have the option of both kids sleeping together on the pull out sofa. On HAL only one kid would fit on the couch and one over our heads. I honestly don't know if I could sleep with a kid over our bed. LOL

As far as service, food, entertainment, and kids club, and ship who would you give the edge to?

Are there tours

Thanks!

Edited by brookeinmn

Welcome to CC.

Just something to consider. What is most important to your group....what they will see in Alaska or the ship? If it is what you will see in Alaska, could you please post the itineraries of these two ships, so you can get more informed responses. If the ship is most important, then I am sure someone will provide you with that information.

Edited by vbmom87

I have been on both ships and they are both fine and would give a good experience.

The sofa bed on the mini-suites on Princess will only fit one kid. On most ships I have been on, only part of the couch makes into a bed (2 cushions out of 3?). So unless they are toddlers, one will need to be up on the bed that is directly above the couch (come out from the wall or ceiling) that will be setup at night.

Thanks Coral. That is interesting. The agent I spoke to said they could both fit, but I tend to agree that they wouldn't have the pull down bed if 2 kids fit on the sofa bed.

We are now looking at doing two SY suites on Oosterdam. They sleep 3 ppl each. Perhaps I could convince grandma to take a kid each night.

The itinerary is the same for each. I'm more interested in the ship. I like to be pampered, have excellent service, a good spa, good deals, good drinks. :)

Thanks Coral. That is interesting. The agent I spoke to said they could both fit, but I tend to agree that they wouldn't have the pull down bed if 2 kids fit on the sofa bed.

We are now looking at doing two SY suites on Oosterdam. They sleep 3 ppl each. Perhaps I could convince grandma to take a kid each night.

The itinerary is the same for each. I'm more interested in the ship. I like to be pampered, have excellent service, a good spa, good deals, good drinks. :)

I hope this thread helps you (picture of couch):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1408304

If they are very young, it could work.

I have mostly sailed Princess and have one cruise on HAL (Oosterdam). Both lines have declined in the past years but both lines will give you a good cruise. My HAL service was very similar to my Princess service. The colors on the Oosterdam were hideous IMO but I got used to them and they didn't bother me after a few days (lots of purples and oranges). Princess has softer colors on the ship.

I am not a spa person but did use the spa on the Oosterdam and their therapy pool was great (something Princess doesn't have).

I prefer the buffet on HAL as it is more stations and made to order while Princess is more like a buffet help yourself setup Some prefer Princess's buffets as they are quicker.

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

The itinerary may be the same but you also have to look at port times. Some cruises have terrible port times - arrive at 7:00 and depart at 12:00 or 1:00 or else arrive late in the afternoon and depart late in the evening. Also, the itinerary may be the same but is it a good itinerary?

DON