Who will miss Acapella Quartet

Blue Skies

(And eye candy)

We sorely missed seeing an "Acapella " group on our last Eclipse cruise in November that I enquired and learnt that they have been stopped fleet wide.

It was one of our signature treats with Celebrity that made the cruise line unique, they popped up singing coming out of the theatre or on a balcony over the atrium whenever you were not expecting anything to happen suddenly they were there.

Maybe it is time to move on.

But I will also miss their eye candy;).

I have just read they are now on some of the Princess ships:D

Big disappointment! It's one of the entertainment we enjoyed the most.

Things that were making Celebrity unique are disappearing one by one.

What will be next? String quartet? Guitar player? Will they be replaced by DJ?

Shame!

Edited by vivi9909

Hi Everyone,

We enjoy the Acapalla groups as well, and was surprised to see they were not onboard Eclipse in late November. I'm not entirely certain if they've been eliminated throughout the fleet, as a recent Constellation guest mentioned having an Acapella group onboard.

I've also learned that Celebrity has made changes in their entertainment department's management team. I suspect that further onboard entertainment changes are to come. While onboard Eclipse, I heard something about potential changes involving production shows, but this is unconfirmed.

Let's hope we will enjoy what Celebrity has planned.

On one hand, we really enjoyed the On Tap boys on our Infinity cruise to Alaska. On the other hand, we don't even remember the name of the group on the Solstice in the Med a year later...

But, we're looking forward to enjoying the acapella performance on the Reflection in a few weeks :)

I won't miss them. In talking with some folks from Celebrity several months ago, they mentioned this as an upcoming change. It's not particularly a "cut-back"; just recognition that it was something of a fad that had run its course.

Harris

Denver, CO

No doubt they will be replaced. X is just trying to appeal to a somewhat younger crowd. Beginning January 1, 2014 every ship will have a rap group on board.:rolleyes:

Please....ANYTHING but RAP! Ugh! :eek:

Ok, no techno (thump thump thump) either.....

Guess I'm showing my age, eh??? :o

Big disappointment! It's one of the entertainment we enjoyed the most.

Things that were making Celebrity unique are disappearing one by one.

What will be next? String quartet? Guitar player? Will they be replaced by DJ?

Shame!

After listening to live entertainment on the Equinox TA , a DJ would be a great improvement

I remember the days when there was a harpist or strings in the speciality restaurants on the M class ships every night and at the top of the stairs in the main restaurant on formal nights, also a thing of the past

Edited by ali-ali-oh

My son and I were just on the Thanksgiving week Reflection cruise, we were told that the A Capella group's were indeed goners unfortunately. String quartet also are gone, we were also sad to see a DJ and a drum group (Miami DJ) as replacements. So I guess i'm not happy to say but I suppose techno and rap are next to appear. :mad:

Hi Everyone,

as a recent Constellation guest mentioned having an Acapella group onboard.

Let's hope we will enjoy what Celebrity has planned.

Three FORMER acapalla singers have moved on to other roles on Connie:

1st one is in cruise sales

2nd is on activities staff

3rd on guitar/vocals.

Both my DW and I will not miss their singing.

They performed for such a short period of time so infrequently that we're happy that Celebrity has replaced 4 short acts with two duos playing more often or two guitar players and another duo for part of the cruise. Now all they have to do is find more talented performers than were on board for part of the cruise.

There are now more performers playing in more venues for longer periods of time. We think it is a good trade off for our musical tastes. We know many loved their singing but we just never developed a taste for that style.

We love the acapella groups and the string quartets!

This from a rock and roll girl.

The actual production numbers have always been the big weak spot

on X cruises for us. Have enjoyed some comics and the aerialists but the faux Broadway is painful . It has never been an issue , we just do something else. If the folk guitarists go, so do I. sigh

We are also on Reflection 12/211-28, maybe we will have something beyond

Christmas music, if not, time again to make our own fun.

The acappella groups were nice, but as stated earlier, they sang for about 20 minutes. And the venue was jammed so we gave up trying to hear/see them.

So far, =X= has dropped the pianist doing show or older pop tunes in one of the bars (Martini on the Mercury) and the string quartet who used to play in Cova Cafe regularly. So we'll spend most of our time on our balcony. This is a shame because we liked hearing those groups and meeting others who were sitting there to hear them as well. We used to go from the MDR late seating to the Martini Bar every night and sit there for hours playing "name that tune" or "stump the performer" - and had a great time meeting new people. No more.

j