PK Travel Greece Shared shore Excursions in Athens question?

Steve2006

Yes, we did the Temple of Aphaia. It was a stunning drive and the Temple was magnificent. We chose that one because by that time we had visited many churches in the 3 weeks travel.

Thanks. Did PK actually do the 3 island tour or they just put you on a boat and another company is responsible for the tour? Any tips?

PK did not operate the tour. They did however make all the arrangements, handled all the details including our hotel hotel pickup, explanations of the optional tours (sold on-board the ship only) and collection / payment for the cruise to the islands. The cruise included entertainment and an excellent buffet lunch. I can't say enough about how great it was working with PK!

Thanks for all the information.

• 4 weeks later...

We used PK travel last week, and we loved it. Mailcontact with Patoula was very good. our driver Dimitris was already waiting for us outside. We arrived at the Acropolis early so it was not that busy yet. Dimitris told us a lot about Athens and Greece. We did what we wanted to do and even more. We also went to a viewpoint the big excursion busses can not come. We would use them again, great tour!

This was a great full day excursion. There were so many interesting, awesome things to see. Highlights were the Acropolis, Temple of Zeus, and the Acropolis museum. The guide was very knowledgeable and spoke perfect English. A nice touch was having some time midday to explore the market and stop for an authentic lunch (additional cost).

• 1 month later...

Just used PK Travel for a day in Athens and Sounion. Fantastic communications with Potoula. Our guide Nancy was a godsend. She was so knowledgable about the places we want. I highly recommend then. In fact we hired them again for tomorrow rather than taking a taxi. Rest assure they will make your day in the Athens area complete.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We are doing a Private Tour with PK travel next year. It is the Full Day Athens & Corinth Tour. Here is the tour description:

Full Day Athens & Ancient Corinth Tour includes a visit to: The Acropolis (Temple of Parthenon, Propylea, Temple of Athena Nike, Temple of Erechtheion, Cariatides, Herodeon Theater, Theater of Dionysus, Areopagus [Mars Hill]), The Temple of Zeus, The Panathenaic Stadium, The Old Palace, The Tomb of The Unknown Soldier in front of the Parliament & The Changing of The Guards, The Catholic Cathedral, The "Neoclassical Trilogy" [The Academy, The National Library, The First University of Athens], and finish up with Ancient Corinth, and The Canal.

* Cruise passengers may visit Ancient Corinth and the Canal in the morning, have lunch in the Plaka, and visit Acropolis at the end. The driver and/or tour guide will decide about the itinerary.

My question is:

The company has suggested a Licensed Guide for the Full or for the Acropolis alone. The cost for the full day would be 220 Euros or 100 Euros for 2 hours at the Acropolis only. That would be divided by 12 people, assuming we can fill the van with members of our Roll Call. There are 6 of us right now. Is the licensed guide worth the cost? Can we get by with the guide for the Acropolis only or is the full day guide worth it? Thank you.

• 1 month later...

We didn't add the Guide at the Acropolis we opted for the Vatican Guide instead. In hindsight I probably would go back and add the guide at the Acropolis especially if splitting with 12 people. We had 4 people. We love the small group because a small Mercedes is able to fit in spaces that a van cannot. You don't need a guide for the entire day because if you ask for an English speaking driver they will provide you with lots of information but are not allowed to accompany you to the Acropolis. We had Chris as our driver. He was amazing. Couldn't say enough good things about him.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We didn't add the Guide at the Acropolis we opted for the Vatican Guide instead. In hindsight I probably would go back and add the guide at the Acropolis especially if splitting with 12 people. We had 4 people. We love the small group because a small Mercedes is able to fit in spaces that a van cannot. You don't need a guide for the entire day because if you ask for an English speaking driver they will provide you with lots of information but are not allowed to accompany you to the Acropolis. We had Chris as our driver. He was amazing. Couldn't say enough good things about him.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the input. We did opt for the guide, so I am glad to get confirmation from you. I am looking forward to the tour.

We are doing a Private Tour with PK travel next year. It is the Full Day Athens & Corinth Tour. Here is the tour description:

Full Day Athens & Ancient Corinth Tour includes a visit to: The Acropolis (Temple of Parthenon, Propylea, Temple of Athena Nike, Temple of Erechtheion, Cariatides, Herodeon Theater, Theater of Dionysus, Areopagus [Mars Hill]), The Temple of Zeus, The Panathenaic Stadium, The Old Palace, The Tomb of The Unknown Soldier in front of the Parliament & The Changing of The Guards, The Catholic Cathedral, The "Neoclassical Trilogy" [The Academy, The National Library, The First University of Athens], and finish up with Ancient Corinth, and The Canal.

* Cruise passengers may visit Ancient Corinth and the Canal in the morning, have lunch in the Plaka, and visit Acropolis at the end. The driver and/or tour guide will decide about the itinerary.

My question is:

The company has suggested a Licensed Guide for the Full or for the Acropolis alone. The cost for the full day would be 220 Euros or 100 Euros for 2 hours at the Acropolis only. That would be divided by 12 people, assuming we can fill the van with members of our Roll Call. There are 6 of us right now. Is the licensed guide worth the cost? Can we get by with the guide for the Acropolis only or is the full day guide worth it? Thank you.

I have been in contact with PK Travel for our cruise in September & they have offered me a guide for 2 hours at the Acropolis for €100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

We just did the full day Athens tour with PK Travel. Our guide was Michael, who was very easy to understand and had a lot to say about the sites. There were 14 of us from the cruise. We headed straight to the Acropolis (Parthenon) and spent almost 3 hours there. We beat the crowd because we got there early. Then we went to the Temple of Zeus, which is not too exciting. Could have skipped that.

We drove up a hill for a panoramic view of Athens. Unbelievable skill of the driver to back down the road.

We saw changing of the guard at the president's residence I think, then we were dropped off by the museum to shop on our own and eat. Very nice gyro place nearby. 2.3 Euros each.

Toured the museum after lunch for 1½ hours, then back to the ship.

Tour was 65 Euros per person + tip.

Acropolis admission was 20 Euros, Temple of Zeus 6, Museum 5. They all take credit cards except for the final payment for the tour.

This tour was a great choice.

So glad to hear all the good reviews. I just booked them today for our 2018 Athens to Venice cruise on th Viking Ocean star. We are 2 couples so we have arranged a private transfer and 1/2 day private tour of Athens, then dropped off at the cruise ship.

• 10 months later...

PK Travel recently organized shore excursions of the ancient Olympic site and the highlights of Athens for our group of 14 on a recent cruise. Yota and Michael were wonderful. Can't say enough good about this company. My wife will be using them again in June when she take our daughter-in-law and granddaughters on another cruise of Croatia and Greece.

Ron

• 10 months later...

I highly recommend PK Travel!  We used PK Travel for a private small group (10 people) Tour of Ancient Corinth and Cape Sounion in November 2018 and were very pleased.

At my request, Ms. Potoula combined their two half-day tours of Ancient Corinth and Cape Sounion into one full-day tour, and did a terrific job, accommodating tight time constraints of our cruise.  She was responsive, collaborative and thorough in her communications.

Our driver Dimitri and our licensed guide Michael were both outstanding and made a great team executing this very challenging schedule perfectly.  It was a very full and highly enjoyable day!

Our licensed guide Michael was excellent, extremely knowledgeable, and shared volumes of information with us.  His English was flawless and he presented in a very interesting fashion.

This is the second time I have used PK Travel for small group tour while in Athens on a cruise and I couldn’t be happier!  I am about to book them for 2 more days for later this year.  I can highly recommend PK Travel without any hesitation!

• Like 1

Happy to hear all the great experiences with PK Travel. We have a tour booked with them this May during our port stop and at this point I'm concerned because it seems only the two of have booked. I've posted on our roll call but our roll call is almost non-existent. PK Travel has said they will cancel unless we have min. of 8 people or give us the option of a private tour. Was so hoping that this wouldn't happen. 

• 4 months later...

We were on a Greek Isles cruise and used PK Travel for an amazing 8 hour tour of Athens. I cannot say enough about our guide & driver. We saw the highlights of Athens and our guide was an awesome historian. There were 12 of us traveling in a comfortable van. The price was half that of the ship’s excursion. I would definitely recommend this company. 

Maryanne & Bill

2 hours ago, Laurel1947 said:

We were on a Greek Isles cruise and used PK Travel for an amazing 8 hour tour of Athens. I cannot say enough about our guide & driver. We saw the highlights of Athens and our guide was an awesome historian. There were 12 of us traveling in a comfortable van. The price was half that of the ship’s excursion. I would definitely recommend this company. 

Maryanne & Bill

Thank you for sharing - I have booked them for the exact same tour  - Glad you to know you were very happy with their service!

Glad to hear they are still providing such a great experience.

this was the only tour which we extended because we were having such a wonderful time and  learning so much.

• 4 months later...

We have used the services of PK Travels many times over the last 20:years.  You could not ask for a better company for touring and transfers. There service is exceptional and they go above and beyond what you would expect.  We are looking forward to our next trip to Athens and our excursions and transfers with Paul.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add my two cents for PK Travels. Just did the Greek Isles this past September and had booked PK Travels full day Athens Tour. Our guide and driver were wonderful. We were picked up at the port on time and left immediately for the Acropolis. We were there by 8 am and had finished our tour there as the crowds were starting to come . Our guide had already had our tickets for admission into the Acropolis so there was no waiting in line. 

I can’t say enough about how wonderful things about PK Travels. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them . You will not be disappointed. 

Edited by kuddles14
Spelling