Carnival Glory New Dining :(

Cruzin2paradise09

Newbies don't realize this though and all of the changes seem to be in line for the demographic pax carnival seems to attract and market to.

Every cruise line has a demographic that is not a problem. It is just that the changes on carnival seem to indicate that over the years the carnival demographic has and is changing as well. Actually it is indicative of good marketing on carnivals part if their ships are sailing full and showing a profit

Personally our last 3 cruises since 2008 have been on other lines though.

What makes you think Newbies haven't got a clue what's going on? We go on all inclusives and went on our first Cruise on Carnival last January and we had a blast. I can't speak for other Newbies but I did a lot of research on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor. We organized our own excursions and drank ashore, we don't gamble, had our two bottles of wine plus another one, our S&S card was next to nothing. Please don't paint all Newbies with the same cloth. Writing about cloth, Carnival please bring back the Table Cloth, it's what we expected and paid for when booking our up coming cruise on the Glory.

It is interesting that after all the hub bub no one that was on the Glory complained about the lack of tablecloths . They do have some kinks to iron out with the new menu but the food reports have been mostly positive . Rather than add tablecloths I would rather they add better itineraries . I am just done with the Carribean & Mexico .

Just got off the Glory this morning. Don't like the no tablecloths because the drink glasses sweat and it puddles on the table. The family style dining is crap. Maybe better if you are with family it would be fine.

We had a horrible head waiter so that didn't make the new dining experience any better.

Nobody monitored clothing ... "Formal" night there was a large family wearing jeans, t-shirts and shorts. Last night, someone in that family had on a wife-beater tank top!

They put the tablecloths on for "formal" night but the atmosphere wasn't there.

Will post a full review some time later this week. I am sitting at the airport waiting for my flight.

So you saw on Cruise Elegant Night (Formal as you call it) a family wearing jeans, t-shirts and shorts, and if you did not go to the Maître de right away and point this out in a complaint, then you are part of the problem.

I'm really shocked that the choices have been so limited.

I would prefer to choose my appetizer, thank you very much, rather than have a plate of 4 assorted appetizers.

Is it true there is only one choice of desert?

Is there still a cheese platter option?

I only became aware that Carnival eliminated the choice of appetizers upon reading post-cruise reviews from the Glory. This seems like a huge waste and I, too, would like to choose my own.

Why should they fix the new dining problems when pax like yourself admit that it is not a good change but still will continue sailing them? Doesn't questioning your loyalty mean that you may well look into cruising other lines?

You actually are what carnival wants. Past cruisers that don't like the cost cutting changes but still keep coming back

You really should try Ncl or princess. And yes I know princess is part if carnival corporation. But you would never associate them with a carnival cruise. Trust me.

I've done Carnival in 2006 and 2008 (Freedom and Dream). later I tried NCL (Pearl) and Celebrity last year (Reflection). next April I'll be on the Breeze. I had good memories and this is why I went with Carnival. I also adored NCL and Celebrity. After reading a few comments on the new changes of Carnival, I start a regret my choice...

Let me clarify what ACTUALLY happened on the Glory cruise in regard to appetizers. One night out of seven (the first dress-up night), they served the tapas-style appetizers to everyone. Each of the other 6 nights, guests chose their favorite appetizers from the menu.

I enjoyed the single night of tapas-style. Some folks didn't. But either way, it was a single night.

Also, on the first formal night they served the same dessert to everyone. I can't remember if they also did that the 2nd formal night. All other nights, there were choices for dessert. I do not recall seeing a cheese and fruit plate on any of the desserts menus, but I may have just missed it. I think there was a fruit plate one night.

Also, on the first formal night they served the same dessert to everyone. I can't remember if they also did that the 2nd formal night. All other nights, there were choices for dessert.

Back in the day, the two formal nights had Cherries Jubilee and Baked Alaska for dessert and they were flambeed, incorporated into the dancing routine and then served to everyone at the table. But you could still order a dessert off of the menu if you wanted one.

So you saw on Cruise Elegant Night (Formal as you call it) a family wearing jeans, t-shirts and shorts, and if you did not go to the Maître de right away and point this out in a complaint, then you are part of the problem.

Very nice ... thank you for that! I am NOT the clothing police and the people had to WALK PAST THEM TO ENTER THE DINING ROOM! How is that MY responsibility??????? Give me a break and don't be so rude.

Oh and since you had to correct me on the 'Cruise Elegant Night', it was called Formal Night when I first started cruising. Again, so sorry for offending you with my verbage.

Edited by Cruzin2paradise09

Also, on the first formal night they served the same dessert to everyone. I can't remember if they also did that the 2nd formal night. .

I hope they took into consideration that some people are diabetics and can't have "one-for-all" dessert.

Disagree..I don't think it is a cruisers responsibility to tattle on those not adhering to the dress code. It is Carnivals policy so THEY should enforce it. I could care less if people don't want to dress up, but if they are wearing t-shirts, they should be denied entry to the MDR on elegant night.

Disagree..I don't think it is a cruisers responsibility to tattle on those not adhering to the dress code. It is Carnivals policy so THEY should enforce it. I could care less if people don't want to dress up, but if they are wearing t-shirts, they should be denied entry to the MDR on elegant night.

I agree with your disagreement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

What makes you think Newbies haven't got a clue what's going on? We go on all inclusives and went on our first Cruise on Carnival last January and we had a blast. I can't speak for other Newbies but I did a lot of research on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor. We organized our own excursions and drank ashore, we don't gamble, had our two bottles of wine plus another one, our S&S card was next to nothing. Please don't paint all Newbies with the same cloth. Writing about cloth, Carnival please bring back the Table Cloth, it's what we expected and paid for when booking our up coming cruise on the Glory.

You are the exception. There is nothing wrong with calling someone a newbie. It is just that they are not familiar with all the ropes. I recall at Disney once I met a family the same size ages and length if visit as us. Same hotel category onsite etc etc. they were floored when I told them of the deal we got which included free dining among other perks. They said they never realized that Disney offered deals and just went with whatever their ta said no questions asked. Well duh one does not need a ta to book Disney but they didn't know you could book directly with Disney. We compared prices and they were paying a full $3000 more than us for the same exact. Newbie does not mean stupid it means not fully aware. You seem to be fully aware but many newbies are on a trip of a lifetime lol and don't have a clue. That's all.

I hope they took into consideration that some people are diabetics and can't have "one-for-all" dessert.

Or that some people have food allergies. I'm usually pretty positive but I'm not impressed with this change at all.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Part of the problem? Please. Call the fashion police, Get the keelhaul ready, break out the plank. I dress up for Formal night, but someone would have to dress a lot more offensive then jeans, t-shirts, or shorts to effect my meal in a negative way.

I would be very unhappy with this whole new style of dining. I am very fussy (picky) and usually only like one appetizer and entrée each night. I have sometime had to order off the "everyday" menu. I like the caeser salad every night, never get the soup. This menu and style of serving sounds ridiculous. I guess that is why I sail HAL.

I am guessing you will start to see more jeans & shorts in the dining room due to this.

On non-elegant nights, I usually wear a nice dress to dinner (not formal, but a casual dress like you would wear to a wedding). If they go to the no tablecloths, I will wear something more like capris and a nice top.

Although, I am giving NCL a try next year instead of Carnival.

Maggie

Edited by maggieworkman