Boston to Baltimore

moonbee73

We are sailing on the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore on January 26. I have never sailed out of Baltimore before so I'm not sure how far the pier is from the airport. My question is if we will have enough time to make it back to the airoport if the ship is set to dock back in Baltimore at 9 a.m. The first flight home is 10:40 a.m. and then not again till 3? Thanks for your help

The airport is maybe half an hour away. Add in actually docking, clearing the ship, customs, getting off the ship, any traffic you hit, 1040 might be cutting it close.

Of course, every time I sail the Pride, we seem to come in early, and I'm at home by 10am :p

Edited to add: You're sailing in the winter. Sometimes the Pride comes in late because of rough waters during the winter-time. Depending on how much luggage you have, maybe you could look at a day trip to Fort McHenry or the Aquarium, and take the later flight.

Edited by iamsteph

10:40 a.m. is cutting it close. Even assuming the ship returns to port on time and you do self-assist, don't expect to be off the ship until 8:00 a.m. or 8:30 a.m. By the time you clear customs and get into the cab or shuttle, you are possibly looking at 8:45 to 9:00 a.m. The airport is about 40 minutes by car in normal traffic, so you only have an hour to check your bags, clear security and reach your gate. Throw in a delay here and there (ship coming in late, slow customs clearance, lots of passengers debarking before you, shuttle bus arriving late, traffic jam enroute to airport, long airport queues or slow moving security, etc.), and you run a real risk of missing your flight.

Edited by PCHENG

We are sailing on the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore on January 26. I have never sailed out of Baltimore before so I'm not sure how far the pier is from the airport. My question is if we will have enough time to make it back to the airoport if the ship is set to dock back in Baltimore at 9 a.m. The first flight home is 10:40 a.m. and then not again till 3? Thanks for your help

The Pride is habitually late in the winter months. I wouldn't take the chance unless you have full fair tickets that will allow you to change flights. Remember however most flights are flying full these days. If you miss your first flight you could be at the airport for quite some time.

We were on the Pride 11/17 and because of the undertow we did not dock until 10am and we did not get called until 11:45am and we were in the 3rd group. Our friends had a 2:10 flight and they were cutting it close...got to the airport until 1:20pm Read some reviews on the Pride...great ship, had an amazing time but the ship is almost always last 10am and the disembarking is always slow!

We sailed Pride 11/3 and managed to make our 11:35 flight back to Boston easily. Check Southwest to see if that flight is still offered. However, after reading all the posts on this site about Pride getting back late and the poor disembarkment routine, I would not even chance the 11:35 flight. Stay on the ship as long as they let you and stroll off without the crowds. BTW, Airport was only a 20-25 minute ride.

I've been on the Pride four times in the winter months and the ship only returned on-time twice. Once we were a tiny bit late and the other time we were several hours late. Debark also tends to be a hot mess for some reason in this port with people jumping zones ahead of where they should be or everyone trying to self-assist all at once.

The cruise that just got back on the 8th was late due to undertows and then there was that foot of snow that got dumped in the area--they were still debarking around noon.

I would not chance a flight before noon, at least not in winter. We got married on the ship in January last year and made our wedding guests fly in the night before the ship left and out the day after--just in case.

were on that same sailing :) our only flight option is a 12:50pm flight otherwise we have to wait till Monday. . just because we non rev - fun fun lol so we are flying in 2 days before and i'm just crossing fingers we get back to port on time and off by like 10am so we make that flight. will be away from my kids for 10 days would be nice to get home same day but if not oh well. I would take the 3pm flight the 10:40 is very doubtful I would not chance it.

come join the roll call if you haven't. . we have a pretty nice group so far.

Edited by jwlnroe

Look into Amtrak. The train station is about 10 minutes from the port. You can catch the Northeast Regional or the Acela. Door to door from the port to Boston is only about an hour longer by train after you factor in all of the hassles and delays of flying. Imagine, no undressing for the TSA, wide comfortable seats, legroom, power outlets, free Wi-Fi, a snack car with tables, etc. We always use Amtrak when sailing out of New York or Baltimore. Stress Free!!

Steve

Why spend your last night (or more) worried about this? Sleep in on debark day, enjoy a nice breakfast, wait for the crowds to clear.... If you can't come up with anything better to do between debark and flight.. Check your bags and go see a movie- you'll still be on vacation!