learned valuable insurance lesson today!

Bimmie Girl

Booked 5 cabins on the Magic for Jan. 26th and did this back in April. we are celebrating our son getting a Master's degree so all our sons, wifes and my parents are going. My step dad has stage 4 lung cancer and is doing remarkably well, looking forward to the cruise. When it came time to get 3rd party insurance, i got it on everyone, (especially since I booked so far out). On Step dad got lots of coverage and on the kids, who are all healthy got the basic. Big mistake. this is where the lesson comes in: if you have girls (in this case DIL for us) then be sure to get additional "cancel under any circumstance". One DIL is pregnant and now can't sail becasue the day of disembarkation she will be 25 weeks and a couple of days. Insurance provider was so nice and tried to help me out, but since it is a healthy pregnancy and not something being wrong, then she is not covered. IF I had paid for the "cancel for any reason" then I would of gotten a partcial refund on her portion of the cruise. I told the guy I am so glad that she is healthy and there are no problems, so learned a lesson and had to share so others won't make the same mistake we did. Did not know when booking girls that they have a rule about pregnancy........no rules when I was preganant, but then that was 28 years ago, LOL Seems the rule is in place because the movement of the ship can trigger early labor, YIKES:eek:. want DIL safe and healthy and now have something to look forward to after the cruise, this coming May. Had to share in case someone else is about to do the same thing.

I am just curious how the ship would know exactly how far along a pregnant woman is ?Do you have to submit medical proof when booking ?

they asked when we submitted her cruise documents if she was pregnant and how far along. we answered the question. then Carnival emailed her a form to get filled out by her dr. to verify the weeks. If it is over 25 weeks then Carnival will not allow her to board because they do not have the facility to handle births. We were a little shocked until someone told me that the ship can trigger labor. We also found out that massages can trigger labor and we had that schedule for everyone too. learning alot about all this. was also told by someone on the boards that even if her Dr. said it was ok to board and wrote that in the form then she might still not be allowed to board under Carnival regulations. You have to submit the form at least one week prior to boarding and then bring the form with you. Kind of hard to sneak past boarding with being pregnant. It took us all a minute to wrap our heads around this situation. we were a little shocked at first. Then our son and DIL said that this is their first and they don't want to take any chances on the baby's health................the rest of us felt much better about the decison.

I was 24 weeks pregnant when I cruised in RCI. I had all the documentation from my dr but was never questioned when i got on. I have seen some women cruising who looked like they were 7+ months. Are you flying in? If not, I might try boarding and have her wear baggy clothes. I wasn't allowed to participate in most of the shore excursions which was fine.

Ok, I read where it said you told them. Then it might not be worth the try. Congrats on the grand baby!

Edited by Sammycupcaker

I was 24 weeks pregnant when I cruised in RCI. I had all the documentation from my dr but was never questioned when i got on. I have seen some women cruising who looked like they were 7+ months. Are you flying in? If not, I might try boarding and have her wear baggy clothes. I wasn't allowed to participate in most of the shore excursions which was fine.

Ok, I read where it said you told them. Then it might not be worth the try. Congrats on the grand baby!

Each cruise line is different. If you are a day or two past the cruise line cut off at disembark, you will be denied boarding without a refund. The doctor note is to verify your length not your well-being. You need to declare yes or not pregnant on your documents. Falsified documents would lead to bigger problems so please don't suggest such to inexperienced cruisers.

First, I don't know why anyone would want to risk going in to early labor if the movement of the ship really could trigger early labor. Not sure if this is true. Let's assume it is, why would you encourage someone at 5 months to sneak on a cruise potentially harming themselves and their baby?

Secondly, many women look "7+" months pregnant at 12 weeks etc. I was one of those sad cases who got huge early on. So there could potentially be women who look farther along in their pregnancy than they are. I just don't understand why anyone would risk it.

JMO.

OP, thanks for the heads up. I never would have thought about the pregnancy vs cancel for any reason. glad you have a healthy grandbaby on the way.

OP, thanks for sharing. This is one of those rules that a lot of people don't even realize exists and is grounds for denied boarding. It's unfortunate that you didn't learn about it while you were still outside of penalty. :o

The reason for the cutoff is because at 25 weeks, the fetus is now consider a viable baby. Prior to that week, if a woman goes into labor, it's treated as a miscarriage. After that, it's treated as an early delivery. Needless to say, the ship is not equipped with a NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit), which is the reason why they don't want women past their 24th week. Plain and simple, the baby would die without proper neonatal care.

On a side note, my wife cruised when she was 20 weeks pregnant with our son (and she looked like she was 30, or so she says! :o) We did bring a letter from her doctor certifying how far along she was, but nobody ever asked for it.

Edited by Tapi

We were in the middle of planning our first cruise with the entire family when our middle DD announced her pregnancy (our first grandson :D). She would have been a couple of weeks past the cutoff. Good thing we cancelled because our oldest DD announced her pregnancy a few weeks later (our second grandson :D). We postponed the family cruise for a couple of years. Just as I was ready to book, middle DD announced that she was pregnant with our second granddaughter :D, again due just a couple of weeks past cutoff. Our first granddaughter was a bonus who came with our oldest DD husband.

So, yes, I recommend cancel for any reason insurance ;)

I don't know about the movement of the ship affecting labor, but I worry about what would happen to the baby if it were born prematurely on the ship. I wouldn't try to get around the rules--just too risky for me.

OP, thanks for sharing. This is one of those rules that a lot of people don't even realize exists and is grounds for denied boarding. It's unfortunate that you didn't learn about it while you were still outside of penalty. :o

The reason for the cutoff is because at 25 weeks, the fetus is now consider a viable baby. Prior to that week, if a woman goes into labor, it's treated as a miscarriage. After that, it's treated as an early delivery. Needless to say, the ship is not equipped with a NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit), which is the reason why they don't want women past their 24th week. Plain and simple, the baby would die without proper neonatal care.

On a side note, my wife cruised when she was 20 weeks pregnant with our son (and she looked like she was 30, or so she says! :o) We did bring a letter from her doctor certifying how far along she was, but nobody ever asked for it.

Great response. Your explanation was very clear.

My sister-in-law was pregnant when she cruised with us for our wedding. She wasn't pregnant when we booked her, but we marked it in the FunPass. CCL emailed her a letter to get signed by her OB and we faxed it back--pretty simple. She was pretty close to six months when we debarked, but it was enough that she was allowed to cruise. Oh--even though we faxed it and confirmed it's receipt the port agent still demanded (not asked for) the form when we went to check-in. We had it and all was good, but I'm not sure what would have happened without it.

Sorry you figured it out after final payment, but glad everything is well with your DIL!

Congratulations! This is the happiest reason I know for needing to cancel a cruise. Can you slot in any cousins in their place?

One son, not married, is in a cabin with my 2 nephews. Called today about moving him to our son who now will have a balcony cabin all to himself without DIL. Carnival suggested we just wait till on board and switch cabins to avoid penalties.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think that's a great suggestion. Just let your DIL 'no-show' for the cruise, since you wouldn't get a refund for her anyway. I think, although I could be wrong, but if you tried to move the third passenger out of the triple cabin, into the other one, they might want you to pay the difference between their 3rd passenger fare and the 1/2 fare the the other cabin.

I think that's a great suggestion. Just let your DIL 'no-show' for the cruise, since you wouldn't get a refund for her anyway. I think, although I could be wrong, but if you tried to move the third passenger out of the triple cabin, into the other one, they might want you to pay the difference between their 3rd passenger fare and the 1/2 fare the the other cabin.

There will be no extra charge for the balcony cabin because it's already paid for and would have a double occupancy rate if it had been booked by only one person.

I've also read that insurance claims can be denied if you don't use specific dollar amounts (I use to round down to the whole dollar), and I read a review from a couple having to leave an Alaska cruise because of a parents death and their insurance claim was denied because of the parents age.

I just checked my countdown clock for our cruise celebrating DD's college graduation (2 years ago) & her hubby's med school graduation coming up. 16 weeks away so even if there is an unexpected surprise, we should be safe. :o.

Sorry DIL can't go but it is better to be safe then sorry. Think of the future trips with the grand kids!!

I just checked my countdown clock for our cruise celebrating DD's college graduation (2 years ago) & her hubby's med school graduation coming up. 16 weeks away so even if there is an unexpected surprise, we should be safe. :o.

Sorry DIL can't go but it is better to be safe then sorry. Think of the future trips with the grand kids!!

Thanks, and have thought of the future trips with grandkids. One way or another this little one may miss this cruise, but we will take another with our grandchild and DIL later.