Has anyone taken a South America / Antarctica cruise?

OnTheJourney

Hi

I just a a question where is it you see all the ice burgs.. I thought there was a bunch of them. Also is this cruise the 32 day one. Watching the wonderful video makes me want to pack my bags now. But the price for a solo is killing me. Goinig back to Alaska this year. The Ice burgs are very important to me.. Watching the video those ports are intersting. I would like to stand on Antarctica But its not that important one of the reasons is it a continent A very beutiful one.

and I can cross it off my bucket list

Mary

Hi

I just a a question where is it you see all the ice burgs.. I thought there was a bunch of them. Also is this cruise the 32 day one. Watching the wonderful video makes me want to pack my bags now. But the price for a solo is killing me. Goinig back to Alaska this year. The Ice burgs are very important to me.. Watching the video those ports are intersting. I would like to stand on Antarctica But its not that important one of the reasons is it a continent A very beutiful one.

Mary

Mary' date=' Antarctica is full of burgs.. And, IMO it is a hundred times more beautiful than Alaska, & we still love Alaska..

Check out Monina's Post No. 14 on this thread..She has video's posted of Antarctica..Very Beautiful!

Betty [/size']

Edited by serendipity1499

Hi

Mary

Mary,

As Betty said, the bergs are all around. Antarctica is so different than Alaska, but some things are common to both, like the ice. The bergs are HUGE in Antarctica. One of the areas that is famous for really BIG BERGS is the Antarctic Sound. Some of them are the size of cities. We were on the top deck of Veendam looking up at one. Its length dwarfed the ship. And of course there are the penguins too. And we saw so many whales- it was incredible. I may try to sanitize some video of our third day there (which included the Antarctic Sound and the edge of the Weddall Sea) this weekend if i have some time so you can get another view. And of course Monina's videos are fabulous and capture the feel of the area.

I hear you about the single supplement. I saved and cut expenses for quite awhile to go (and even did the single share). For me the whole trip was a real splurge- but it turned out to be such a pleasure. If you are really interested you may want to check out prices after final payment. I found that i could have done the cruise for about a third of the cost- but the down side was risking the ship being sold out. That had already happened to us twice and i wasn't willing to risk it again. I'd love to do it again and take DH this time, but likely that won't be happening. (But a gal can dream, cant she?)

Mary,

As Betty said, the bergs are all around. Antarctica is so different than Alaska, but some things are common to both, like the ice. The bergs are HUGE in Antarctica. One of the areas that is famous for really BIG BERGS is the Antarctic Sound. Some of them are the size of cities. We were on the top deck of Veendam looking up at one. Its length dwarfed the ship. And of course there are the penguins too. And we saw so many whales- it was incredible. I may try to sanitize some video of our third day there (which included the Antarctic Sound and the edge of the Weddall Sea) this weekend if i have some time so you can get another view. And of course Monina's videos are fabulous and capture the feel of the area.

I hear you about the single supplement. I saved and cut expenses for quite awhile to go (and even did the single share). For me the whole trip was a real splurge- but it turned out to be such a pleasure. If you are really interested you may want to check out prices after final payment. I found that i could have done the cruise for about a third of the cost- but the down side was risking the ship being sold out. That had already happened to us twice and i wasn't willing to risk it again. I'd love to do it again and take DH this time, but likely that won't be happening. (But a gal can dream, cant she?)

IMO you ladies & many others on this board are so courageous to do cruises on your own! I had to travel at times on business & it was lonely for me especially at dinner time.. Are there any cruise lines which have single cabins? Thought once I heard that NCL did, but not sure..

Cheers..Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

IMO you ladies & many others on this board are so courageous to do cruises on your own!

LOL! IMO, "courage" isn't even on the radar here. On my very first cruise, when I was youngandsingleandgorgeous, someone said that exact same thing to me. My answer then was the same as it is now: What "courage"? I can stay home alone, or I can sail alone. The worst thing that happens is I'm still alone.

Are there any cruise lines which have single cabins? Thought once I heard that NCL did, but not sure..

At least some NCL ships have some single cabins. They are very small, and definitely not for me.

The Prinsendam has three single cabins. There are two outsides, and one inside cabin on that ship---the only single cabins in the HAL fleet. Sometimes the inside single is not open for booking. I have no idea why not, though.

I cruised in that single inside and loved it (except it was terribly hot in there).

In the old days, there were some single cabins on HAL ships. At the time, the single supplement for double cabins was 150%. When you checked the price of the single cabins, they were about the same price. No savings on the single, and a better selection to pay the supplement!

IMO you ladies & many others on this board are so courageous to do cruises on your own! I had to travel at times on business & it was lonely for me especially at dinner time.. Are there any cruise lines which have single cabins? Thought once I heard that NCL did, but not sure..

Cheers..Betty

There are cruise lines that do much better by singles than Holland America does. Carnival offers a number of cruises with no single supplement. Royal Caribbean has a few. Silversea regularly charges 25% extra for singles. You will find other cruise lines offering the occasional cruise for under 35% markup. I assume almost all of these are for a single in a double cabin. Good luck finding a markup of less than 100% on Holland America.