Booking Dilemna

Bahama Mama 40

Would like to book Summit Aqua Class for 11/14. Not sure whether to book during 123 promotion or not. Do not think we would get our monies worth out of drink package so would probably take the $200 in onboard credit. I am not certain but think this cruise was priced lower prior to 123. Not sure if it will go back down enough to make up for the $200 of onboard credit. Any advice appreciated!

Would like to book Summit Aqua Class for 11/14. Not sure whether to book during 123 promotion or not. Do not think we would get our monies worth out of drink package so would probably take the $200 in onboard credit. I am not certain but think this cruise was priced lower prior to 123. Not sure if it will go back down enough to make up for the $200 of onboard credit. Any advice appreciated!

Hi Bahama Mama 40,

I suggest you book now, as there's virtually no downside. This way, you can avoid potential price increases, choose the cabin you like, and get the Onboard Credit. If the price drops before final payment, you should be able to get the reduced price. Please keep in mind, that obtaining a price drop is not automatic. It's up to you to check the pricing frequently. If the price drops, you must contact your Travel agent, or Celebrity if you've booked direct.

If you have further questions, please feel free to ask. I hope this helps, and Happy Holidays !

Edited by Host Andy

As the cruise is not until November there is a chance that another 123 will happen before that so you could hold out and book then.

You probably would have fewer cabins to choose from though.

The option of waiting until the 123 is over is interesting too as you may get a lower price.

I think maybe, as you are really not too interested in anything but the $200 OBC, you may be best booking now and then watch the prices and if they improve past the $200 OBC, once the 123 is over, cancel and forego the OBC.

Cheers, h.

11468575224_9967301c76_n.jpg

I disagree with the statement of no risk by booking now. If I remember right, the people who book using the 123Promo rate, will have to give it up to enjoy the price reduction. I recall running into this problem last year or so. As they say, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

I disagree with the statement of no risk by booking now. If I remember right, the people who book using the 123Promo rate, will have to give it up to enjoy the price reduction. I recall running into this problem last year or so. As they say, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

If you want to lower price you can just give up the package and take the lower price.

What are you seeing as a risk?

Hi Grandgeezer,

Sorry, but I'm not seeing the "risk". If you are able to obtain a lower price, and you are put in the position of deciding whether to forfeit the 123 GO promo, that means it's probably a decent price drop. Remember, the choice is yours. I agree there's no free lunch, but if you are getting a reduced price, you are getting something in return.

As always, when in such a situation, it pays to do the math, and see which way (keeping the benefit or opting for the reduced price) brings you the most bang for the buck. Also, if Celebrity runs the promotion at a later date, and you are before final payment - if the price is lower, you may be able to obtain the reduced price, while retaining the promo.

Another item to consider. What if the price goes up ? If you book now, you are protected at your current rate. It's something to think about.

We usually book early, and I recommend doing so. I hope this is helpful, and Happy Holidays.

"Not sure if it will go back down enough to make up for the $200 of onboard credit. Any advice appreciated!"

No one can know if it will drop enough to make up for the $200, but it might, or as Andy pointed out, it might go up. And the cabin you want might disappear, or Aqua Class might sell out entirely. Then where would you be? If there is a stateroom you want, and the price is ok now, then book now and continue to watch for price drops up until Final Payment, which is a long way off.

The big risk is, if there is a significant price drop, it's usually for new bookings only. I have read, or heard somewhere, that the cruiselines can tell if you have previously booked the cruise in question. I never book early as I don't have a favorite cabin or location on a ship. 3-4 months out is the longest. I booked the Alure of the Seas this past October when the rate for a regular oceanview balcony dropped $300 p.p., which put it below the neighborhood balcony.

Watch your reservation after the 123 Promo goes away the end of February. I would be shocked if most rates don't go down. I was watching a 13 day Mediterranean cruise on the Equinox, but the price was too high. 123 Promo came and the rate went up over $200 p.p. This cruise you should be able to pick two perks as it starts and ends in Europe. I did almost the exact same cruise, on the Solstice in April of 2012 and paid about half the current rate, without a 123 Promo, so I'm betting the price will come down significantly. If not, I just stay home.

I'm not sure if this info will help! My husband and I were on summit last feb! We had such a great time we decided to book the opposite itinerary just a couple of weeks after our return. We got the free beverage package plus an extra promo from our ta! We have been watching the price of our cruise climb higher and higher! If we booked today for our cruise we would be paying an extra $1000.00 per person more for a less desirable room.

The fact that you are thinking about traveling in November might play in your favor. If you are flexible with dates and travel plans then the risk might be worth it! If you have your heart set on anything specific and your plans are less then flexible then you have to be ready for any and all price increases.

Not sure if this will help, but I have one booked on the Summit for Jan 2015 that we booked back in June of this year. I have watched 2 different promos come and go and the price has remained the same. I also have watched the SAME cruise for January 2014, and it is approx. $900 more. I would book early....you can always cancel or change if needed! Good luck!

The big risk is, if there is a significant price drop, it's usually for new bookings only. I have read, or heard somewhere, that the cruiselines can tell if you have previously booked the cruise in question. I never book early as I don't have a favorite cabin or location on a ship. 3-4 months out is the longest. I booked the Alure of the Seas this past October when the rate for a regular oceanview balcony dropped $300 p.p., which put it below the neighborhood balcony.

Watch your reservation after the 123 Promo goes away the end of February. I would be shocked if most rates don't go down. I was watching a 13 day Mediterranean cruise on the Equinox, but the price was too high. 123 Promo came and the rate went up over $200 p.p. This cruise you should be able to pick two perks as it starts and ends in Europe. I did almost the exact same cruise, on the Solstice in April of 2012 and paid about half the current rate, without a 123 Promo, so I'm betting the price will come down significantly. If not, I just stay home.

I understand why you think it is a risk if you beleive that the cost reduction is usually for new bookings only and you cannot cancel if necessary to take advantage of the cost reduction if necessary. Although that can certainly be true especially after final payment it has not been my experience. I was able to get several cost reductions on my last 123 promo bookings.

Thank you for clarifying.