How successful is the breakaway in Newyork?

vols_159

I will be sailing on her in March and looking forward to it. its a beautiful ship and had friends and cousins on her already and they loved it. The reviews you read will be all over the place so make your own memories and have fun on it, I am sure youll love it

I would doubt that Carnival pulling out of NYC has much to do with Norwegian's popularity or not. I would guess that it has to do with their bottom line. With all the lawsuits pending, and their unexpected costs over the last couple of years something had to give. Does anyone know the approximate cost for a cruise ship to dock in NYC? I would bet that cost is also going up too.

Can't wait to sail on her this July with my family. She's a beautiful ship. I've seen her depart in person and it's quite a sight.

~robin and brian

(summertime jersey shore beach bums)

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

I would doubt that Carnival pulling out of NYC has much to do with Norwegian's popularity or not. I would guess that it has to do with their bottom line. With all the lawsuits pending, and their unexpected costs over the last couple of years something had to give. Does anyone know the approximate cost for a cruise ship to dock in NYC? I would bet that cost is also going up too.

Really? I would think that the popularity of ANY competitor (not just NCL) would have everything to do with it as the customer base would be leaving you in favor of your more popular competitors.

It absolutely cannot be about the bottom line...there is simply no way that it helps Carnival's bottom line to not serve the largest market in North America...they would be leaving a lot of money on the table...

Whatever the cost of doing business in NYC (docking a ship for example) it is the same for everyone.

We just sailed the Splendor this September - for a different experience and its lower prices overall, and had a "roomier" balcony for what would've been the equivalent of an inside or OV on the Breakaway at best.

CCL has been price-cutting NCL in the NY market with the Splendor sailing full every 8 days & surprised that it is changing next November. We're all set to go back on the Gem again and/or book the Breakaway.

One of our BIL/SIL did the Breakaway in late Spring/early Summer - they are seasoned NCL folks and they noticed the smallish cabin & felt the nickel-n-diming, and wasn't too happy with making all the reservations, but still brought more future cruise certificates.

Just starting to look at our sailing plans for 2014 and with the latest CCL market shifts, expecting less pricing pressure even for slower off-peak weeks - unless RCI ...

It's still relatively cheap & good value sailing now vs. 10 or 15 years ago, bigger floating fortresses with more activities - we will do that instead flying a narrow-bodied tin can that barely served free soda, juices, water, coffee/tea - and, not even a silly bag of peanuts (used to be cashew nuts in coach, remember) or 25 cents worth of chips, and, boxed cold snack box for $10 ... :mad: in an "upright" 31 inch boxed frame for 3 to 6 hours.

Carnival Corp. can't seem to "make it here"....

The HAL Noordam tried all-year-round, and gave up.

The Crown Princess tried all-year-round and gave up.

Now the Carnival Splendor is pulling out after this season...

That will leave only their Cunard QM2 making a couple of sailings in the winter....

Over at Cape Liberty, Celebrity Silhouette tried all-year-round and gave up. That leaves only RCI's Explorer of the Seas, (soon to be replaced by the new Quantum of the Seas), as winter time competition to NCL's two all-year-round ships, the Breakaway and the Gem from the Port of New York.

It could have some impact on NCL pricing next year.......

That will leave only their Cunard QM2 making a couple of sailings in the winter....

Over at Cape Liberty, Celebrity Silhouette tried all-year-round and gave up. That leaves only RCI's Explorer of the Seas, (soon to be replaced by the new Quantum of the Seas), as winter time competition to NCL's two all-year-round ships, the Breakaway and the Gem from the Port of New York.

It could have some impact on NCL pricing next year.......

I agree with everything you said with the exception of Celebrity Silhouette. From day one Celebrity planned, scheduled, and sailed a limited amount of cruises from Cape Liberty before moving her to Florida as planned.

Edited by NYcruzzer

I agree with everything you said with the exception of Celebrity Silhouette. From day one Celebrity planned, scheduled, and sailed a limited amount of cruises from Cape Liberty before moving her to Florida as planned.

That's true...I sailed on her in December of 2011, and enjoyed it very much. And her itinerary to repo to Florida was already planned, as you said. I'm only using her as an example to show that Celebrity doesn't think it worthwhile to keep a ship here all year, on a permanent basis. Even after trying it, they aren't planning to do it again, as far as I know...

We enjoyed the Breakaway, it was a nice relaxing cruise. We enjoyed sailing NCL and would do it again.

What I won't do again is sail from New York in the Fall/Winter/Spring. You miss 2 good days of nice weather and the Florida/Bahamas itinerary is severely lacking.

It was nice not to fly to a port, but next year we would rather fly than to give up warm days and to go further south. We also found that we are not fans of sea days.

This year the QM2 just does one Caribbean sailing out of NY in the winter, the Christmas one.

I would agree if it is a short cruise you lose some nice weather, but for me, leaving from the NYC area for a 9 day or more cruise beats flying by a mile. Being that I live in Long Island, I am on the ship with a cocktail and lunch within two hours after I leave home....can't beat that!! :)

I will always pick a ship in the NYC area unless it is a repositioning long cruise.

Don

We just sailed the Splendor this September - for a different experience and its lower prices overall, and had a "roomier" balcony for what would've been the equivalent of an inside or OV on the Breakaway at best.

CCL has been price-cutting NCL in the NY market with the Splendor sailing full every 8 days & surprised that it is changing next November. We're all set to go back on the Gem again and/or book the Breakaway.

One of our BIL/SIL did the Breakaway in late Spring/early Summer - they are seasoned NCL folks and they noticed the smallish cabin & felt the nickel-n-diming, and wasn't too happy with making all the reservations, but still brought more future cruise certificates.

Just starting to look at our sailing plans for 2014 and with the latest CCL market shifts, expecting less pricing pressure even for slower off-peak weeks - unless RCI ...

It's still relatively cheap & good value sailing now vs. 10 or 15 years ago, bigger floating fortresses with more activities - we will do that instead flying a narrow-bodied tin can that barely served free soda, juices, water, coffee/tea - and, not even a silly bag of peanuts (used to be cashew nuts in coach, remember) or 25 cents worth of chips, and, boxed cold snack box for $10 ... :mad: in an "upright" 31 inch boxed frame for 3 to 6 hours.

What, exactly is the "nickel & diming" feeling so many people complain about???? Never felt that on any of my NCL cruises! Can ANYONE explain it?

The only reason any cruise line would pull out of a port is because it's not profitable for them. The question that should be asked is why CCL can not make money sailing out of NYC!

Why did they feel nickel and dimmed?

What, exactly is the "nickel & diming" feeling so many people complain about???? Never felt that on any of my NCL cruises! Can ANYONE explain it?

The only reason any cruise line would pull out of a port is because it's not profitable for them. The question that should be asked is why CCL can not make money sailing out of NYC!

It's a "sour grapes" complaint.

IF there were nickel and diming, we (as cruisers) would be faced with small, UNAVOIDABLE charges for things that should logically be included. For example, imagine going to check in for your next cruise and the registration desk agent informs you that there is a $5 fee to get your room card....THAT would be nickel and diming.

What NCL offers are CHOICES or OPTIONS. NONE of which are required. You can enjoy your cruise without having to spend a single extra dime on board. That choice, like all of the others, would be yours or mine to make.

That said, we all cruise on some sort of budget...none of us has unlimited money! Therefore, the choices we make must fit within our limitations (budget) and sometimes we come across things we WANT but cannot afford. When this happens, many people (who understand the limits of their means) simply accept the situation and move on. Others simply cannot. Their WANTS exceed their MEANS and they are left feeling unhappy as a result. Then the desire to attach blame for the unhappy feelings kicks in...as you no doubt know, people don't like to blame themselves, so the blame has to be directed at others. It has to somehow be someone else's fault. So the easy solution is to blame the "evil" cruise line for "nickel and diming".

I sometimes wonder how these people ever go to the mall where EVERYTHING has a price! They must feel that the whole world nickel and dimes! :rolleyes:

Shark ---- Your comments are far too logical !!!!!!! lol

IF there were nickel and diming, we (as cruisers) would be faced with small, UNAVOIDABLE charges for things that should logically be included. For example, imagine going to check in for your next cruise and the registration desk agent informs you that there is a $5 fee to get your room card....THAT would be nickel and diming.

What NCL offers are CHOICES or OPTIONS. NONE of which are required. You can enjoy your cruise without having to spend a single extra dime on board. That choice, like all of the others, would be yours or mine to make.

That said, we all cruise on some sort of budget...none of us has unlimited money! Therefore, the choices we make must fit within our limitations (budget) and sometimes we come across things we WANT but cannot afford. When this happens, many people (who understand the limits of their means) simply accept the situation and move on. Others simply cannot. Their WANTS exceed their MEANS and they are left feeling unhappy as a result. Then the desire to attach blame for the unhappy feelings kicks in...as you no doubt know, people don't like to blame themselves, so the blame has to be directed at others. It has to somehow be someone else's fault. So the easy solution is to blame the "evil" cruise line for "nickel and diming".

I sometimes wonder how these people ever go to the mall where EVERYTHING has a price! They must feel that the whole world nickel and dimes! :rolleyes:

Shark - I agree with everything you said. We love NCL, but have found that while we enjoy NCL, the base product offered by NCL is not for us. For example, we find the food and service in the MDR to be just ok, and so we only eat in specialty restaurants. Some people might consider this as "nickle and dimming" but it is something that enhances our cruise experience. We also enjoy a bigger room so we book suites and use the OBC to pay for the extras for that some people might consider as nickel and dimming.

We can go with a more expensive cruise line and get better food and a bigger cabin for free, but have to pay more for the cruise.

The bottom line is that we pay what we consider to be a low price for an all inclusive vacation, and then we upgrade or pay more to get the things that make our cruise more enjoyable.

Edited by jmele999
spelling

Could Carnival and other be pulling out because of the requirement to use that new fuel that is very expensive?

Isn't that why Carnival left Boston as well?

It may be. But like port fees, all cruise lines pay the same, so if one can succeed, there must be some other reason why another cannot....

This year the QM2 just does one Caribbean sailing out of NY in the winter, the Christmas one.

She also did a transatlantic crossing in late november and return in December, plus she is doing another transatlantic after her Caribbean cruise that will continue onto her world cruise, returning to NY in April...

She also did a transatlantic crossing in late november and return in December, plus she is doing another transatlantic after her Caribbean cruise that will continue onto her world cruise, returning to NY in April...

Yes, but in 2008 she did an entire season of Caribbean cruises all winter. It's slowly been cut down since then. Even a few years ago she did a few Caribbean cruises in December, and then did one more in early January.

For the past two years it's just been the one Christmas cruise in the winter. But yes, she still does a few late fall/early winter transatlantics.