Izumi

Topo Gigio

I was wondering why RC charges a cover charge ($3 for lunch and $5 for dinner) to eat at Izumi PLUS a la carte pricing? it doesn't make sense to me. I went once during my TA earlier this month on the Serenade and must say I liked it very much.

Yes, Izumi is cover charge plus item pricing. I suppose they do it because people are paying it.

Edited by clarea

I was wondering why RC charges a cover charge ($3 for lunch and $5 for dinner) to eat at Izumi PLUS a la carte pricing? it doesn't make sense to me. I went once during my TA earlier this month on the Serenade and must say I liked it very much.

What is Isumi PLUS???:confused:

My guess would be that the price of sushi is expensive enough to require the ala carte pricing.

I believe the cover charge includes some gratuity, so that when you're paying a la carte for the food you're paying for just the cost of food, as opposed to other specialties where you pay a flat cover charge which includes gratuity and food.

Nope, it's a separate charge.

Actually, we are both right:p:

The $10 per person charge for pre-cruise web sales will be applied to the guest check in the restaurant. If your guest check is more than $10 per person, you will be charged the additional amount in the restaurant. If your guest check is less than $10 per person, your Seapass account will be credited with the difference.

A portion gets credited because it's higher to book online then at door;). Mystery solved.:D

Don't know how a few chunky tasteless veges in batter and rice based rolls are worth the charge. That would be why there was only three other tables eating there the night we did. Very bad atmosphere in both Izumi and Chops on our recent Radiance trip. Not bad enough to make a survey complaint about, but the MDR food was much higher standard in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Don't know how a few chunky tasteless veges in batter and rice based rolls are worth the charge. That would be why there was only three other tables eating there the night we did. Very bad atmosphere in both Izumi and Chops on our recent Radiance trip. Not bad enough to make a survey complaint about, but the MDR food was much higher standard in my opinion.

Huh? please elaborate.

I tried sushi for the first time on my last cruise. It was lunch so $3 cover plus $5 for a spicy tuna roll. It seemed reasonable to me, what does sushi usually cost?

Huh? please elaborate.

When we went to Izumi restaurant, you get charged for everything you order as opposed to a cover charge in some other specialty restaurants on board, and it is not cheap for the quality of the items in my opinion. We ordered battered vegetables. Chunks of vegetables like eggplant and capsicum in batter that are about 2 inches thick are not special. The rolls were mainly rice based, as is the way they should be, but how cheap are they to make compared to the cost they are charging? Very small serves of everything. The hot rock self cooking stuff was very unattractive also. The whole Izumi experience was a big disappointment. You know on land if you go to a dining place and they have few customers it is a bad sign. Well 3 tables of customers in Izumi was a bad sign and the atmosphere was very subdued with a waitress that seemed to struggle with a smile.

Chops was not very special either, but the Main Dining Room (MDR) meals on this trip were very nice. In some posts people say the MDR is slipping in standard so they can encourage customers to pay for the speciality places. We found a different experience.

I tried sushi for the first time on my last cruise. It was lunch so $3 cover plus $5 for a spicy tuna roll. It seemed reasonable to me, what does sushi usually cost?

I can't remember the cost per item, but I do know that the dinner meal cost way more than $5! I think the total charge was higher than the Chops cover charge in the end. I think the sushi train items I have seen on land based places much cheaper each. Can't say for sure, in the end it is just my opinion.

I posed the exact same question while I was on Brilliance. I would be happy to get sushi, but I'm not paying a cover AND ala carte. That's just silly. Especially when the sushi prices are still the same if not more than comparable places on land.

On Monarch you could just walk into the Jade and order sushi without paying a cover. Other than the fancier decor, there is no difference.

I heard from a couple of frequent Brilliance cruisers that Rita's and Izumi are not doing well. I can believe it. Each time we went into Rita's it was virtually empty, or populated by people taking their Windjammer food in there and eating. And Rita's doesn't even charge a cover.

I posed the exact same question while I was on Brilliance. I would be happy to get sushi, but I'm not paying a cover AND ala carte. That's just silly. Especially when the sushi prices are still the same if not more than comparable places on land.

On Monarch you could just walk into the Jade and order sushi without paying a cover. Other than the fancier decor, there is no difference.

I heard from a couple of frequent Brilliance cruisers that Rita's and Izumi are not doing well. I can believe it. Each time we went into Rita's it was virtually empty, or populated by people taking their Windjammer food in there and eating. And Rita's doesn't even charge a cover.

It's like I'm paying you to do business with you. On my Transatlantic Rita's was always empty and I mean always.