Mediterranean weather in late October???

wilsonzoo

I am considering a Mediterranean cruise, and one of the itineraries I like is on Windstar, but it's October 29th. Anyone have a good feel for if the weather will be warm enough for us to truly enjoy time out on the deck of the ship? It sounds rather late in the year to me.

Thanks--

• 3 weeks later...

Wilsonzoo,

We were on Wind Surf last year on back-to-back cruises (Rome - Nice followed by Nice - Barcelona) from Oct 31st - Nov 14th. A few of our ports included Portovenere, Portofino, Monte Carlo, Marseilles, Porquerolles and Sete. Overall I think we were lucky in that the weather was quite comfortable during the day often in the low 60's and even in the low 70's a couple of days (Rome). In a couple of ports however the wind picked up dramatically during the afternoon and the temperature dropped quickly. If you were caught without a jacket during those days you would have been uncomfortably cold. In the evenings for sail away time from port we typically wore a sweater and/or light jacket on deck. We layered our clothing when venturing out each day and that worked pretty well. If the forecast was "iffy" we took along a jacket.

Depending upon your preferences going later in the fall can have its advantages. The ports were less crowded than during "high season" as you would expect which is good for getting around quickly and seeing the sights. However if you want to do a lot of shopping you may find that several shops in the smaller ports are already closed for the season. For us it was just being in those ports we had heard so much about that was the thrill. We had a wonderful time and would love to go back again in the fall.

Hope that helps!

Archived