My Recipe for Lobster Murano

JonnyGUofD

I've searched the net for a recipe for Lobster Murano, the somewhat famous table side preparation in Murano restaurant. After a couple of tries, I have come up with my version. There's a bit of work involved but most can be done ahead of time - in case you want to impress your guests either table side or in your kitchen. Be careful when you flame the dish! Enjoy . . . .

Lobster Murano

Serves Two

Ingredients

• 12 oz. Lobster (body or tail meat). [shrimp may be substituted. If using shrimp, peal and devein]
  • 2 Tbs. Butter
  • 1 Tbs. Olive Oil
  • 2 Tbs. Finely Chopped Shallots
  • 2 Slices Bacon, Cooked until not quite crisp and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 1/2 Cup Dried Porcini Mushrooms, Reconstituted in 1 Cup Hot Water for 30 minutes then drain and dry. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
  • 1/4 Cup Cognac (or Brandy)
  • 3 Tbs. Sour Cream
  • 1 Tbs. Dijon Mustard
  • 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 1 Cup Chopped Tomato (chopped to 1/4 inch pieces), Drained of juice in strainer
  • Chopped fresh chives or parsley for garnish

Preparation

Mix Sour Cream and Mustard in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Poach lobster in boiling water until meat is no longer translucent (about 7 minutes). Let cool and remove lobster meat from shell. Cut lobster into 3/4 inch chunks. [Note, if using shrimp, do not poach but still cut into 3/4 inch chunks]

NOTE - all steps prior to this point can be prepared and refrigerated several hours ahead of the sauté. I place all ingredients in small bowls - ready to be added when their time comes. The following steps take about 5 minutes.

• Melt butter in medium-hot sauté pan, add olive oil
  • Add Cooked Lobster [or uncooked Shrimp]. Sauté for about one minute (or, if using shrimp, until shrimp is cooked)
  • Add Shallots, sauté one minute
  • Add Bacon, sauté one minute
  • Add Mushrooms, sauté until liquid evaporates, about one minute
  • Add Cognac/Brandy and flambé, when flames die out,
  • Add Dijon-cream mixture, stir and when incorporated,
  • Add Parmesan Cheese, mix until incorporated and
  • Add Chopped Tomato, mix well.
  • Sprinkle with chopped chives or parsley to finish

Plate the dish - best served straight from the sauté pan to the plate. Serving suggestions: Green beans with toasted almond slices, Rice Pilaf and roasted cherry tomatoes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

While I normally prefer my lobster with a bit of clarified butter, this recipe looks positively yummy. Lobster is on sale now, so I think I'll pick some up tomorrow as a change from turkey leftovers and give your recipe a whirl! :)

The recipe looks great. I'll have to try it. The only suggestion I'd make if using shrimp is to start adding the other ingredients to sauté once the shrimp is almost done but not quite done. Otherwise, you'd end up with tough shrimp if they get overcooked during the other steps. :)

I'd flame the pan as soon as the shrimp are translucent, then remove the shrimp, finish the sauce (without flaming again...), and then add them back to warm up at the end. That should keep the shrimp tender, and allow the Cognac to flavor the shrimp.

I'd flame the pan as soon as the shrimp are translucent, then remove the shrimp, finish the sauce (without flaming again...), and then add them back to warm up at the end. That should keep the shrimp tender, and allow the Cognac to flavor the shrimp.

All the suggestions for keeping the shrimp tender are on the mark. Note that I tried to follow the steps exactly as they are done in Murano (there's a video you can watch on the ship through the on-demand screens) but had to ad lib a bit for the shrimp.

Also, the actually cooking time only takes about five or six minutes. Great for impressing company.

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to report that I made this recipe for my wife yesterday for Mothers Day.  It turned out fantastic and is really easy to make. I used 3 lobster tails that we got at Costco.  They were Cold Water tails, $25/lb.

IMG_3464.jpg

• Like 2

Wow! I just stumbled on this recipe. Thanks.....a bit late but better late than never. This should help tide us over until our next

S-class sailing. Now off to the store to pick up missing ingredients.

On one of Century's final sailings, my DH and I were determined to get the recipe for Lobster Murano. We attended a cooking demo (featuring the lobster dish), put on by Murano's Maitre'd. I took copious notes, and my DH took pictures. When we got back to our cabin, I said: 'By George, I think we've got it!"

OP -- the one thing that we had to guess at was the Dijon cream, since it came out of the kitchen, already made. Our version is a little different from yours, in that we use heavy cream (rather than sour cream or creme fraiche). Other than that, our recipes are amazingly similar! It's a great dish to fix for company -- the flaming finale always gets 'oohs & aaahs'! 😎