Calling all BOA Visa Redemption Experts

PattyW

I have two/three questions when redeeming rewards -

I've got 25,000 points and am looking at $250 in OBC or:

Upgrade on a 4 to 8 night Royal Caribbean sailing for two, excluding Oasis of the Seas® and Allure of the Seas®, June - August (interior stateroom to minimum available oceanview stateroom). Value of upgrade may not exceed five hundred dollars ($500 USD value).

We won't be moving staterooms (we're a 5 passenger family in a family promenade), but first question -- I believe I can just apply the credit value towards our reservation, is that correct?

So long as that is correct, my second question becomes - which interior stateroom is used for the base cost? The interior stateroom costs vary from: $849pp to $979pp.

Lowest oceanview available is: $1149pp.

So the credit could range from $340 to $500 (cap).

Both are more than the $250 OBC, but I have to determine whether the reduction in fare cost will also reduce my OBC from the travel agent. So, third question - Does anyone know if application of a redemption like this reduces a travel agent's commission? If it does I imagine the OBC I will receive from her will also go down (I've used this TA before and when I've caught price reductions, my OBC has gone down, so I know the OBC value is tied to her commission).

If so, I need to figure out which option gets me the most bang for my buck.

Thanks for any help in answering any of my three questions!

Edited by PattyW

You take the cost of the least expensive inside cabin and least expensive ocean view cabin at the time you redeem the points.

If the least expensive inside is $849 and OV $1149 ( $300 per person difference) you would get the full $500 value.

I would call the redemption center 888-305-4626 to double check and so they can put a note in your booking of what the value of the upgrade is. I would do that BEFORE going online and redeeming them. I believe they can also do the redemption part while on the phone. That would be the best value for your points.

I just did the same and just got off the phone with them. Our sailing is not until late 2014 and I know they will not be applying the certificate for quite some time and prices will change between now and then.

Edited by molly361