What to do in the rain

Retired BC Teacher

We are on the Triumph out if Galveston on 1/4, going to the same ports and have the same concerns. In Progreso we were only going to do the double decker bus tour and walk around town some. There is only a 30% chance of rain that day, so hopefully we will be ok there. In Coz we have a 60% chance if rain. We would like to hang out at Chankanaab that day. But we have umbrellas and rain ponchos packed and if it is raining, we will probably go to town and wander around.

We did Salsa and Salsa in Progresso, probably the best excursion we have done. There was about 5 min or less outside rest was indoors and was a blast! We went into Merida and took a short bus tour, walked around a government building, and then we walked a very short distance to Panchos. At the restaurant we learned how to make like 4 different types of salsa, got to eat them had a few complimentary drinks and they taught us to salsa dance! You should check that one out.

We went to Cozumel on Dec. 17 of this year and the forecast was for rain a month out. Guess what? It rained. And it wasn't just one storm that passed, it rained hard all day long. We tried the 3 amigos place ( I would not recommend) and then went back to the ship for awhile waiting for the sun to come out. When it did we went out again and it rained for the next 3-4 hours. So, we went to Fat Tuesdays, had a couple drinks and watched people dance. I know a lot of the excursions were cancelled so I don't know what all there is to do in the rain. If it hadn't rained we were going to try Paradise Beach or something.

I have done a few trips in the number of decades I have been on the Planet. When it says 80% chance of rain, that could well be a 15 minute shower. Take the bull by the horns and do what you like. If it does rain, it will be warm weather rain, not cool damp B.C. rain. Go for it!

Are you really worried about a weather forecast 7 days plus out????

It is the tropics usually will rain for a bit and the sun comes out.

Agree with this.

and if you happen to find yourself rained upon, the best thing about it is that it will be warm rain:D

Don't worry about the rain, it will happen some time or another in that part of the world, so just go with it and try to enjoy it. And I wish you a great cruise:)

Go to a beach and enjoy the water while it's raining.

this too!

I remember my first trip to Barbados in the mid 1970's, (ok I know, Im OLD ), anyway, my friend and I had just ordered lunch, but decided to go into the pool while we waited for lunch, and the heavens opened up and it "poured"!.

We were in the pool and the rain came down, and we stayed in the pooled and said WTH! Wet now, might as well stay wet, and the temps were warm.

Five mins later, rain stopped, sun came out, and so did out flying fish sandwiches, which we ate in the sun, while we "dried off":D

Are you really worried about a weather forecast 7 days plus out????

It is the tropics usually will rain for a bit and the sun comes out.

How many days out would it be acceptable to you for the OP to start worrying about it? I think it is smart to look for options and have a plan A and plan b in place, rather than waiting until you get there and then trying to figure it out.

I agree with Stu, on both points.

A. It's too early to REALLY tell what the weather will be.

B. Usually, if it DOES rain, it's maybe 15-20 minutes, and the sun is back out.

Make the most of it, and have FUN!!!!

You won't melt!:D:D:D

How many days out would it be acceptable to you for the OP to start worrying about it? I think it is smart to look for options and have a plan A and plan b in place, rather than waiting until you get there and then trying to figure it out.

It is was hurricane season would be looking at plan A and B. I would only worry if they were seeing large storms that would cause it to rain for days at a time.

150 or so days at sea and dont think we have ever had more than 2 port days that were rained out.

We had a backup plan for a rainy day which had been forecast with a high probability.

Fortunately, we had a driver/ guide who was both knowledgable and flexible.

Even though we didn't need to switch to Plan B, I was glad to have some ideas in mind: chocolate factory tour, tequilla tasting, drive around east side of island and watch surf, drive through el Cedral, drive by some ruins.

Sure you'll have a great time either way. I'm convinced carrying an umbrella( incl to the beach) held off the rain which threatened all day.

And guess what! It was predicted 10 days out! 100% rain too.

Actually, it was the worst storm they'd seem since the rainy season started. 40 MPH wind gusts -- enough to uproot 6" diameter trees right in the dock area (we saw one). Pouring rain for HOURS! Everything was cancelled: water activities, zip line across from port shut down, boating, ferries to LFK, etc. The shops in the port were open and the bars made a KILLING I'm sure!

Probably why I'll think long & hard before scheduling another trip November-February. The possibility of too cold & too wet weather.