First time cruiser - cabin selection

MissBreezy

Hi everyone! First time cruiser here and first time thread starter too, I guess!

We are sailing on the Silhouette in September out of Civitavecchia (unspeakably excited!) and I find myself humming and hawing over our cabin selection. We are currently booked for 7126 on the sunrise deck. It's almost all the way forward, which I don't mind distance-wise but I'm concerned about motion. What have been other's experiences? Did you find it to be an issue?

We have only been on a ship one other time, a large ferry in bad weather and both felt a tiny bit "green" during the two hour trip

Thanks! :D

Edited by MissBreezy

Hi Miss Breezy, if you are concerned about motion sickness then the normal advice is to go for a cabin mid ship and as low a deck as possible.

My wife had the same concerns on our 1st but very quickly adapted and now cruising is her 1st choice for holidays.

Have a wonderful time in the Med.

Hi, such an exciting time for you :)

In my opinion, yes, I notice the motion more in the front of the ship. I always try to book mid ship or the area between aft and mid ship. For instance on our Caribbean cruise when in the theatre (front of ship) I felt more motion as we walked closer to it. However our med cruise was like being on a lake the whole time :)

Also I wore the scope patch (go to your doctor to get it) and it helped a lot! I didn't get too sea sick and it helped with not get car/bus sick on excursions too. I highly suggest it :) I did get a little dry mouth with it but the benefits were worth it.

I am very sensitive to motion so if you have any other questions let me know :) my med cruise was the calmest cruise I have been on. Only 1 night we felt a little motion. Whereas on our Caribbean cruise I could always feel us moving. Sometimes in the med we had to look out a window to remind us we were on a ship :)

P.s. In my signature is a link to my med review. I mention the seas in it a few times and have a lot of pics of what the ocean looked like- most times flat as a pancake :)

Edited by CruisingGatorGirl

If the ferry didn't leave you bright green you, most likely, will have no problem. If you do have a concern, though, your best bet is actually a mid-mid stateroom. Mid-ships front to back and mid-deck, top to bottom. The further you are from either posoton, the more chance there is for movement. Hold a pen in the center and check how the ends move more than the center.

The ship works the same way, just harded to hold.

Regardless, in 23 cruises we have only encountered 1 situation where the ship's movement was really bad. Enjot your first real cruise.

Thank you everyone! At this point, switching to a midship cabin would be about $600 more than we paid for our existing cabin so I think I'm going to wait and see if prices drop a bit and stock up on meds in the meantime! Thank you for your suggestions!

Hi, such an exciting time for you :)

In my opinion, yes, I notice the motion more in the front of the ship. I always try to book mid ship or the area between aft and mid ship. For instance on our Caribbean cruise when in the theatre (front of ship) I felt more motion as we walked closer to it. However our med cruise was like being on a lake the whole time

Also I wore the scope patch (go to your doctor to get it) and it helped a lot! I didn't get too sea sick and it helped with not get car/bus sick on excursions too. I highly suggest it :) I did get a little dry mouth with it but the benefits were worth it.

I am very sensitive to motion so if you have any other questions let me know :) my med cruise was the calmest cruise I have been on. Only 1 night we felt a little motion. Whereas on our Caribbean cruise I could always feel us moving. Sometimes in the med we had to look out a window to remind us we were on a ship

P.s. In my signature is a link to my med review. I mention the seas in it a few times and have a lot of pics of what the ocean looked like- most times flat as a pancake :)

Yay! I see you've booked another med cruise! I read your uh-mazing med review a few weeks ago and loved it :)

I'm a planner too, my husband thinks I'm nuts but he's happy he doesn't have to worry about details. I've already sold him on RIL in Naples thanks to you :)

I will ask about the scope patches, I've never heard of them. Sounds cool!

It doesn't sound like you'd have a problem but one never knows. I get queezy in the back seat of a car or being in the passenger front seat of a car going down winding roads. I didn't want to take a chance on a cruise so every night I take Bonine (non-drowsy) to be on the safe side. Another name for it is meclizine. I would suggest you buy and try whatever you're going to bring, before you leave. My sister couldn't handle a whole Bonine as it made her dizzy but I'm fine with it. There are also pressure point wristbands you can get at home or on the ship. I also believe you can get FREE meds at customer relations if you run out. Enjoy your cruise!! :D

Yay! I see you've booked another med cruise! I read your uh-mazing med review a few weeks ago and loved it :)

I'm a planner too, my husband thinks I'm nuts but he's happy he doesn't have to worry about details. I've already sold him on RIL in Naples thanks to you :)

I will ask about the scope patches, I've never heard of them. Sounds cool!

It's called Scopolamine and it does work, although some people don't react well to it. I have used Bonine with good results when needed, I take it at the very first hint of mal-de-mer and I am fine. For $600 I would stick with the cabin you have, and unless the seas are crazy high, you should be fine--the ships are incredibly stable.