Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

When we docked in Warnemuende a couple of years ago, we rented bicycles to ride to Kuhlungsborn. It was a lovely ride on a dedicated bike trail with views of both the countryside and the ocean. While we did this in the summer, I think it would be a great ride to make in the fall as well.

After our bike ride, we took the train to Rostock and went to the Stasi Museum. It was fascinating. Then we walked around the pedestrian zone in Rostock for a little while and took the ship-sponsored bus back our ship.

Do you recall how long it took to make the bike ride? Also, did you then take the bikes on the train with you (or what did you do with them)? I don't think our ship is sponsoring a free bus to return from Rostock.

Hi, We will be in the Warnemunde port in mid-September. I was doing a little research on your website and trying to determine our itinerary as we will not be taking the long journey to Berlin. We visit on a Monday and the Schwerin is closed. Is there any reason to go out there if it is closed? We are also thinking of doing the Mollie train. Is that a good option in September? Not sure about the weather or seasonality of it. On your website you mention stopping at the seaside town of Kuhlungsborn. Is there still a good reason to do that in the fall (rather than summer)? I associate seaside visits with summer. It seems like walking around Rostock is still a good option. What do you suggest for a leisurely itinerary? We don't want to rush off the ship at the crack of dawn and plan to eat dinner on the ship (lunch in port).

Thanks so much for your help and have a great day!

In re-reading your website, I see that I misunderstood something. The place you stated was a good seaside town to hop off is called Heiligendamm not Kuhlungsborn. Would that be on the bike path referred to by GradUT (above)?

If we were going to bike (to somewhere) on the bike path, see a seaside town, have lunch, walk around Rostock and take the Mollie train. Could we do all that and return to ship by 5:45 pm (if we departed ship between 9:30 and 10:00)? If so, in what order would you suggest for this itinerary? And, if we can't find the bike rental or the bike rental isn't an option that day, what changes would you suggest? It is probably helpful to add that we are able to ride bikes but we do not do it regularly and therefore would not be 'speeding along at an athletes pace'. ;):D

As always, thank you for the help.

In re-reading your website, I see that I misunderstood something. The place you stated was a good seaside town to hop off is called Heiligendamm not Kuhlungsborn. Would that be on the bike path referred to by GradUT (above)?

If we were going to bike (to somewhere) on the bike path, see a seaside town, have lunch, walk around Rostock and take the Mollie train. Could we do all that and return to ship by 5:45 pm (if we departed ship between 9:30 and 10:00)? If so, in what order would you suggest for this itinerary? And, if we can't find the bike rental or the bike rental isn't an option that day, what changes would you suggest? It is probably helpful to add that we are able to ride bikes but we do not do it regularly and therefore would not be 'speeding along at an athletes pace'. ;):D

Hi, I thank you for your appreciation.

You would not be able to fit in all you suggest within your time limit.

Visiting Heiligendam and/or Kuhlungsborn is something to do EITHER on the Molli train OR by bicycle but if you are just interested in visiting a seaside town then Warnemuende is probably the best example of a typical German seaside holiday destination on the Baltic coast !

Within the time frame you suggest it would be quite rushed to even do both the Molli and Rostock. The most relaxed itinerary would be to take the train to Rostock in the morning, stroll around and have lunch there, return to Warnemuende by boat and spend the afternoon exploring the town. You could still hire bikes and explore the coastal bike path if you wished.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi, I thank you for your appreciation.

You would not be able to fit in all you suggest within your time limit.

Visiting Heiligendam and/or Kuhlungsborn is something to do EITHER on the Molli train OR by bicycle but if you are just interested in visiting a seaside town then Warnemuende is probably the best example of a typical German seaside holiday destination on the Baltic coast !

Within the time frame you suggest it would be quite rushed to even do both the Molli and Rostock. The most relaxed itinerary would be to take the train to Rostock in the morning, stroll around and have lunch there, return to Warnemuende by boat and spend the afternoon exploring the town. You could still hire bikes and explore the coastal bike path if you wished.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you Anni!

That is a little disappointing as we had hoped to do Rostock in the am and the Molli train in the pm. Then return to the ship for dinner and go back out to stroll Warnemunde after dinner. What time would you say we would need to leave the ship in the am to accomplish this? Or is it completely unworkable?

Have a great day!

We did the bus to the Molli, walked along kuhlungsborn beach, Molli back to Bad Doberan, got the local train to Rostock, tram into town and back to the station, then train to Warnemunde. If you want to know how to do it for about €20 plus lunch , drop me an e mail ( I'm on holiday at the moment, so reply may take a day or two)

Simon

We did the bus to the Molli, walked along kuhlungsborn beach, Molli back to Bad Doberan, got the local train to Rostock, tram into town and back to the station, then train to Warnemunde. If you want to know how to do it for about €20 plus lunch , drop me an e mail ( I'm on holiday at the moment, so reply may take a day or two)

Simon

Thank you, Simon!

I went back and looked at my notes from our Baltic cruise and we actually rode our bikes to Heiligendamm which was about 10 miles from Warnemuende on the bike trail. We rode the bikes (leisurely) for about 3 hours, but did not stop for lunch in Heiligendamm.

Should you want to rent bikes, here are two companies which you should easily be able to find as they are near the Tourist Information Office (TI). Note: We had to have our passports in order to rent the bikes. The price, which was 9 euros for the day two years ago, includes the helmet but you'll probably have to ask for it. The locals don't seem to wear them--at least we didn't see any of them wearing helmets on the bike trail.

Warnemuende—BikeRentals (Open 9am to 6pm)

a. Alexandrinenstrasse 117 (2 blocks from TI)

b. Muhlenstrasse 35 (6 minute walk fromTI)

I went back and looked at my notes from our Baltic cruise and we actually rode our bikes to Heiligendamm which was about 10 miles from Warnemuende on the bike trail. We rode the bikes (leisurely) for about 3 hours, but did not stop for lunch in Heiligendamm.

Should you want to rent bikes, here are two companies which you should easily be able to find as they are near the Tourist Information Office (TI). Note: We had to have our passports in order to rent the bikes. The price, which was 9 euros for the day two years ago, includes the helmet but you'll probably have to ask for it. The locals don't seem to wear them--at least we didn't see any of them wearing helmets on the bike trail.

Warnemuende—BikeRentals (Open 9am to 6pm)

a. Alexandrinenstrasse 117 (2 blocks from TI)

b. Muhlenstrasse 35 (6 minute walk fromTI)

Thank you. Were you required to return the bikes to the same location or were there other options?

• 6 months later...

Important news for cruisers intending to visit Schwerin from Rostock by train.

Hi Everyone,

There are major works on this line which means changing from train to bus in Bad Kleinen, adding about 25mins to the travel time.

The service is due to return to normal on Sunday 15th April, 2018 but past experience tells us that there are sometimes 'unforeseen delays' :rolleyes:

I will try to keep cruisers informed on this thread if there is any change. Otherwise you can check on-line https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you for your update! We are in Warnemunde on June the 8th and planning to take a train to Schwerin via Rostock,hopefully it will be back on regular schedule , Do we need 1 Mecklenburg Lander group ticket for 4 adults and 2 kids under 14 years old? Thank you!

Thank you for your update! We are in Warnemunde on June the 8th and planning to take a train to Schwerin via Rostock,hopefully it will be back on regular schedule , Do we need 1 Mecklenburg Lander group ticket for 4 adults and 2 kids under 14 years old? Thank you!

Hi, thanks for your appreciation. We hope things will be back to normal too!! You are quite right about which ticket you will need but remember that if you intend to take the 9:07am from Rostock to Schwerin you will need local transport tickets for the s-bahn as you will be leaving Warnemünde before 9am when the Lander ticket becomes valid; 2.10euro for each adult, 1.50euro for each child.

Happy cruising:)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Everyone,

April sees the start of a new season of cruise visits to Rostock/Warnemünde. We look forward to welcoming you and wish you a pleasant stay in our beautiful part of Germany.

The new timetables and fares, both local and long distance, have just been released and I have updated my web site. There are very few changes. The times and prices are correct to the best of my knowledge but it is always worthwhile to check online nearer to your date.

There are journey planners and useful information in English on the following web sites:-

Local transport - buses, trams, ferries

https://fahrplanauskunft.verkehrsverbund-warnow.de/bin/query.exe/en

Trains - both local and long distance

https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de//bin/query.exe/en

The 2018 schedule of Cruise Ship port calls to Rostock/Warnemünde is also available along with maps of the port and useful information for passengers

http://www.rostock-port.de/en/cruise-shipping/port-calls/2018-port-calls.html

I am now in the process of adding pages to the web site with information on more places to go and things to do and see in the area.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hello Anni: could you be more specific on how to go from the port in Warmemunde to Rostock by train and then back to Warmemunde by boat. In otherwords , which stations are recommended & good places to walk around. We will be there on a Tuesday in early July. Thanks

Hello Anni: could you be more specific on how to go from the port in Warmemunde to Rostock by train and then back to Warmemunde by boat. In otherwords , which stations are recommended & good places to walk around. We will be there on a Tuesday in early July. Thanks

Hi,

How to get from Warnemünde to Rostock by train/tram and back by boat is described in detail on the Rostock page of my web site.

Although Warnemünde and Rostock are both pedestrian friendly and very interesting there are no good places to walk around between the two, they are all just suburban stations serving the local population.

Happy cruising :),

Anni,

www.travelanni.webs.com

We have learned during prior vacations that car model names are not the same in Europe as they are in the US. We will be renting cars in Germany twice during our vacation. Pre-cruise to drive from Berlin to Warnemunde, and post-cruise to drive from Warnemunde to Poland - then back to TXL. We will be 4 adults (2 rather tall). I expect we'll have 4 large suitcases, 4 roll aboard carryons, and 4 personal backpack/carryons. Are station wagons available in Germany? We are hoping to not have to go as large as a minivan.

Might we have better luck with a particular rental agency?

We have learned during prior vacations that car model names are not the same in Europe as they are in the US. We will be renting cars in Germany twice during our vacation. Pre-cruise to drive from Berlin to Warnemunde, and post-cruise to drive from Warnemunde to Poland - then back to TXL. We will be 4 adults (2 rather tall). I expect we'll have 4 large suitcases, 4 roll aboard carryons, and 4 personal backpack/carryons. Are station wagons available in Germany? We are hoping to not have to go as large as a minivan.

Might we have better luck with a particular rental agency?

This is the Volkswagen Passat Variant it also comes in all-wheel drive but if you search german rental agencies for this type of car it will offer comparable autos.

Looking at Sixt.de at the port of Warnemunde these are the types of station wagon they offer:

Ford S-Max

Audi A4 Avant

BMW 3er Touring (automatic)

BMW 520 Touring

Audi A6 Avant

The German word for station wagon is KOMBI so if you put that in to your car search it might help. ALSO some agencies don't allow for the rental car to go into Poland so you need to do your homework.

volkswagen-passat-variant-side-geneva-motor-show-2017-2-341127.jpg

Thank you! I'l be sure to contact rental agencies in advance to make sure our itinerary is acceptable before we commit. Our friends want to go into Poland to pick up documents for ancestry work.

A

This is the Volkswagen Passat Variant it also comes in all-wheel drive but if you search german rental agencies for this type of car it will offer comparable autos.

Looking at Sixt.de at the port of Warnemunde these are the types of station wagon they offer:

Ford S-Max

Audi A4 Avant

BMW 3er Touring (automatic)

BMW 520 Touring

Audi A6 Avant

The German word for station wagon is KOMBI so if you put that in to your car search it might help. ALSO some agencies don't allow for the rental car to go into Poland so you need to do your homework.

volkswagen-passat-variant-side-geneva-motor-show-2017-2-341127.jpg

Important:- further information for cruisers intending to visit Schwerin from Rostock by train before 30th June 2018.

Hi Everyone,

There are major works on this line and it is closed between Bad Kleinen and Schwerin. The train between Bad Kleinen and Schwerin is replaced by a bus service adding about 25mins to the travel time.

The train service was due to return to normal in mid-April but DB has just announced that the line will remain closed and the bus replacement will operate until Saturday June 30th at the earliest.

I will try to keep cruisers informed on this thread if there are any more changes but please check on-line https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en before you make your travel plans.

Happy cruising clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Travelanni, I would greatly appreciate your advice on the best way to travel from Berlin to Copenhagen on June 14, 2018. We're sailing out of Copenhagen on June 16 and want to have at least 2 days there before sailing. Train, bus or flight? Would even consider an overnight train ride if that were available. I've begun my research but am getting confused with the different train lines.

Thanks so much! Lynne from Boston

Hi Travelanni, I would greatly appreciate your advice on the best way to travel from Berlin to Copenhagen on June 14, 2018. We're sailing out of Copenhagen on June 16 and want to have at least 2 days there before sailing. Train, bus or flight? Would even consider an overnight train ride if that were available. I've begun my research but am getting confused with the different train lines.

Thanks so much! Lynne from Boston

I did it reverse - Copenhagen to Berlin back in 2015 and took the train. Easy ride, was very excited about the train on the ferry but because of security concerns in Germany, we had to take to debark the train, board the ferry and then board the train after we reached Germany.

Regardless, it was a very enjoyable trip. I did spend the extra money to upgrade my seat.

Hello Travelanni & members!

As this thread has now grown to 32 pages it seems like a great time to start up a fresh thread or threads so that it’ll be easier to search and read through posts.

Anni, what do you think about separate threads for Berlin, Rostock, and Warnemünde? Or if you wish to keep them combined, perhaps include them all in the title if they fit. I’ll leave it up to you to decide.

We’ve been grateful to have to your kindness, knowledge and expertise here on the message boards and thank you for all you do to help our members plan their port stops in that beautiful stop on the Baltic Sea.

I know what a difference it makes to have local insight when visiting this very lovely area of Germany as it made all the difference when I visited from Paris some years ago. I’d never have had the same experience if I’d tried to do it on my own :) Thank you for giving everyone else that wonderful experience through your help here!

:)

Edited by Host Bonjour
spelling