Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

:) Hi Anni

Thank you for the fantastic service you provide to all those on Cruise Critic. I really enjoyed reading your previous thread (all 41 pages) and the information provided on your website has been invaluable for planning our transport and day’s sightseeing.

We will be aboard Cunard Line’s, Queen Victoria which is scheduled to dock at the Port of Rostock, Warnemünde Cruise Terminal, berth P7 on Wednesday, 16 July 2014 from 9.00 am until 5.00 pm.

As we will have a shortened stay in port we don’t want to be too adventurous and miss our scheduled departure. We are planning on taking the train from Warnemünde to Rostock Hauptbahnhof and transferring onto the #5 or #6 tram. Is it better to exit the tram at Kröpeliner Tor or Neuer Markt, to commence our own walking tour of the medieval township? Is the Historical Society still located in Kröpeliner Tor and open between 10 am and 6.00 pm every day when there are cruise ships in port? If so, we thought we might pop in and say hello to your former colleagues.

In the early afternoon, we intend taking the tram to Marienhe, for a different return route and transferring to the train back to Warnemünde where we will explore the former seaside fishing village, climb the lighthouse steps and possibly later, take the ferry to Höhe Dune for a stroll (it won’t be an evening sunset stroll for us) and photos of the ship.

I had investigated travelling to Bad Doberan but with our short stay in port, we would probably be unable to visit Rostock and Warnemünde as well. Is this correct? Should we consider Stralsund as an alternative and forgo Rostock/Warnemünde? Incidentally, what is the current price of a Länder ticket for 2?

Anni, I would appreciate your thoughts and any suggestions. Many thanks

Hi,

Many thanks for your appreciation. Your plan sounds perfect to me. Strangely enough I am planning to be in the Kröpeliner Tor on July 16th and later to watch the the Queen Victoria sail as she is one of the few ships I have never seen and it is rarely that a ship sails early enough for me to return home the same night.

I would stay on the tram to the stop Kröpeliner Tor and start your walk at the Tor which will be open from 10:00; please drop in, we would love to meet you and tell you a little about the history of the town.

Between Neuer Markt and Kröpeliner Tor the tram travels along Lange Str. which skirts the edge of the town and which you would probably not see otherwise. It is an interesting street, built during the GDR era but using red brick and with elements of Medieval decoration on the buildings, making it unique amongst the big wide streets constructed under Soviet influence. In most other cities the buildings are square, grey and very ugly.

Considering your time in port I would stick to your plan. Anything else would be wasting precious time on travelling and Stralsund would be impossible, the train times simply do not fit.

The cost of a Länder ticket for two is 26 euro but you can do everything in your plan for the cost of two Local Transport Day tickets at 4.70 euro each or a Group Day ticket costing 14.10 euro for up to 5 people travelling together. (Only worth it for 4 or 5). These tickets are valid on the s-bahn, the trams, the buses and the Höhe Dune ferry.

As an Aussie I look forward to meeting some Kiwi Cousins !

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Hi Anni

Thank you very much for your reply. We are thrilled to hear that you will be in Rostock on July 16.

On your advice, we will stay on the tram, so we can enjoy the architecture as the tram skirts around the edge of the town, and exit at Kröpeliner Tor. We are planning to be at the Rostock Historical Society at Kröpeliner Tor at 10:00. We would be delighted to meet you, so we could personally thank you for your invaluable service which assisted us to plan our transport and day’s sightseeing, and of course, to learn about the history of the town. Anni, I feel that I need to hug you on behalf of all CC members too! If you haven’t arrived by 10:00, we could pop back later in the morning.

Many thanks too for confirming the price of the Lander ticket, if we considered venturing further afield. I’d have to say that a local transport day ticket at 4.70 euro each, valid on the s-bahn, trams, buses and the Höhe Dune ferry is extremely good value for money, as is a single journey ticket at 1.90 euro, valid for the entire one way journey on the train and tram.

Warmest regards from one Antipodean to another, and looking forward to meeting you on Wednesday, July 16

Peter & Susan

Thanks for all of your prior responses. My wife and I will be on the Legend of the Seas arriving Warnemunde on August 6 at I believe P8. Arrival is at 7:00 am with departure at 9:30 pm. A few days later on August 10 the cruise ends at Hamburg, arriving at 7:00 am.

In Warnemunde I think we will consider visiting Schwerin but would love your suggestion (Schwerin or Stralsund?). In Hamburg we are heading directly to Berlin for a few nights. Is there any type of train ticket that would be valid for both the Warnemunde and the Hamburg stops or do we need two separate tickets?

Thanks

Thanks for all of your prior responses. My wife and I will be on the Legend of the Seas arriving Warnemunde on August 6 at I believe P8. Arrival is at 7:00 am with departure at 9:30 pm. A few days later on August 10 the cruise ends at Hamburg, arriving at 7:00 am.

In Warnemunde I think we will consider visiting Schwerin but would love your suggestion (Schwerin or Stralsund?). In Hamburg we are heading directly to Berlin for a few nights. Is there any type of train ticket that would be valid for both the Warnemunde and the Hamburg stops or do we need two separate tickets?

Thanks

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.

Schwerin and Stralsund are entirely different so really it is a matter of what you wish to see.

Schwerin is an inland town built around seven lakes. It is baroque in character with a beautiful fairy-tale type castle. A large part of the castle and the grounds are open to the public.

www.schwerin.com/english

Stralsund is a medieval port city built mostly in Red Brick Gothic style . There are good museums in well restored, UNESCO heritage listed buildings; a state-of -the-art Oceanarium showing mostly the sea-life of the Baltic and the German naval sail-training ship which is open to the public.

www.stralsundtourismus.de/en

Your day is long enough to do full justice to Stralsund or to combine another town, eg. Wismar or Rostock, with Schwerin. There is more information on my web site for both towns, how to get there, train times, suggested walking routes etc.

There is no ticket which would cover both days. For the Warnemünde to Schwerin/Stralsund day you would need a Mecklenburg Lander ticket, 26 euro for two people, plus a local, single journey ticket for the s-bahn if you travel to Rostock before 9:00.

Between Hamburg and Berlin there are frequent ICEs (Germany's top train). The standard price is around 78 euro pp. but for your date of travel special tickets, from 29 euro pp, are available on-line from 11th May. These trains are fast and very comfortable with plenty of luggage space. 1st class is not worth the extra!

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
Missed word

I have a car rented from Sixt and the location says Rostock Warnemunde Cruise Ctr. We are on the Legend of the Seas arriving on June 19th and I wondered if that is the correct location for the port. If not, can anyone direct me to where I should rent a car/van from?

Hi, this is the correct location. Legend of the Seas is the only ship in on 19th June and will berth at P7 which is the main terminal building in the Warnemünde Cruise Centre. I would think your car will be waiting in the car park out front.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

Hi Anni - Thank you for your response on the car rental location. Our plan is to visit Schwerin but do you have any other recommendations for other stops we should include during the day. We are a group of six which includes two teenagers (girls), so I'm always looking for somthing unique for them to do!

Anni,

Just want to set the record straight for NCL and ask a couple more questions:

I reviewed the email I received right after booking and the NCL web site about the very cruise that I will be on. NCL didn't mention Warnemünde in either case, but stated the port of call will be "Berlin(Rostock)". Most of their other cruises this summer do dock at Warnemünde and their web site also correctly reflected that.

OTOH, after reviewing many cruise itineraries, I mistakenly assumed that Rostock/Warnemünde had only one place for cruise ships to dock and it was right next to an S-Bahn station (and beach, and shops, ...). For other ports such as Copenhagen, Helsinki, and Stockholm, I know there are multiple cruise terminals so I paid more attention. The website of the Rostock port provided in your earlier post and your reply to my earlier questions helped to straighten me out.

Now more questions:

1. Since we won't try to make the 11 am guided tour conducted in German at Schwerin, we will most likely take it easy and catch the 11:07 RE train at Rostock to Schwerin, and the 17:53 train back. When we are at the Rostock Hbf, if we don't have enough time to go to CBD, yet too much to just sit around, is there anything interesting to see around the Hbf?

2. In case we can take advantage of Bus #45 to/from Lütten Klein, can we get tickets on the bus? With credit card?

Thanks again for all the helpful info. I sincerely think the tourism office of the state of Mecklenburg ought to give you an award for being so helpful to tourists. :)

Hi, please accept my most sincere apologies for missing your post, when other questions get in between this is very easy to do. I only found it when checking my reply to the post immediately following yours.

1. There is really nothing around the Hbf. Most stations in small German cities were built outside the centre, usually in the area of the villas of the rich - the people who financed the building of the railways!

2. You can buy tickets on the bus but the card must be chip and pin. My advice is always to have a little of the local currency (you can use euros in Finland and Estonia too), especially for ticket machines and the toilet. It can save possible embarrassment, as well as time, when your card will not work and IMO using the local currency adds to the experience.

There is no chance of anything from the Rostock tourist office but thanks for the thought. They would not even accept the voluntary help of my friend (from the US) and I when, several years ago, we proposed to wander around town offering our assistance to English speaking tourists and handing out useful printed information.

My apologies once again for this late reply,

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni - Thank you for your response on the car rental location. Our plan is to visit Schwerin but do you have any other recommendations for other stops we should include during the day. We are a group of six which includes two teenagers (girls), so I'm always looking for somthing unique for them to do!

Hi,

thank you for your appreciation. As I have no experience of entertaining teenagers here it is difficult to give advice, I can only tell you where my friends take their children.

Indoor Ski-ing at

http://www.alpincenter.com/en/hamburg-wittenburg/opening-hours/

Not far from Schwerin, there are good directions on the web site.

Karls Farm Theme Park in Rovershagen, just north of Warnemünde

http://www.karls.de/erlebnis-ausflugsziele-mecklenburg-vorpommern-roevershagen.html

I am surprised that this site has no English version but it is fairly easy to understand. There is plenty to do and see for all ages, live animals, a butterfly house and this year's highlight - an ice sculpture spectacular including a giant ice slide for the kids and an ice bar for the adults.

Good zoos in both Schwerin

http://www.zoo-schwerin.de/start/index.php

and Rostock.

http://www.rostock.de/en/zoo-rostock/

Hopefully a previous cruiser with teenagers can offer some more ideas.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni

Thank you for your help. I read post 60 and it's exactly where our ship is docked L31

2 follow up questions

1. Est cost of taxi for 4 adults to train station. You mention they wait by the ship or terminal. Which way would we go to get to the terminal where the taxi or does it require getting on a ship shuttle to exit?

2. Is it worth it to get a first class ticket? WOULD that include WIFI?

Thanks

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi Anni

Thank you for your help. I read post 60 and it's exactly where our ship is docked L31

2 follow up questions

1. Est cost of taxi for 4 adults to train station. You mention they wait by the ship or terminal. Which way would we go to get to the terminal where the taxi or does it require getting on a ship shuttle to exit?

2. Is it worth it to get a first class ticket? WOULD that include WIFI?

Thanks

1. The cost of a taxi is around 20-25 euros but you can work it out using

http://www.hansetaxi-rostock.de/en/fares.html

these fares are mandatory for all companies. The road distance from the ship to the city is approx 13klms. All taxis can take at least 4 passengers.

It is a while since I was down at LP31 but the berth is right beside the gate and immediately outside is a car park where the taxis were waiting but if there are none left it is an easy 10min walk to the Ferry Terminal. Cross the car park to the main road, turn right, walk up the road until you come to a major turning on the right which is signed to the Scandlines ferries. The taxi park is about 100m towards the ferry.

If you prefer you could order a taxi using the contact page on the web site above.

2. IMHO it is not worth getting first class tickets. Both the s-bahn with its new rolling stock and the REs are spacious, comfortable, air-conditioned and have good, clean facilities. There is only a very small amount of first class seating (half the upper deck of one car on an RE) and the difference in the two classes is negligible. There is no WIFI on either of these trains as they are short distance. WIFI is only available on certain ICE routes and in DB first class lounges on the bigger main stations.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
spelling !

Just two quick questions.

I have looked at train transportation from Kiel to Hamburg for 3 adults and found the Kleingruppen karten for 34,90 EURO.

So back to the questions :D

Can I buy the ticket at a ticket machine or is it only online and if in that case where?

Is it good for a return trip or do I pay 2 X 34,90.

Just two quick questions.

I have looked at train transportation from Kiel to Hamburg for 3 adults and found the Kleingruppen karten for 34,90 EURO.

So back to the questions :D

Can I buy the ticket at a ticket machine or is it only online and if in that case where?

Is it good for a return trip or do I pay 2 X 34,90.

Hi, The web site of nah.sh has got to be the most complicated transport web site I have ever used! You can buy tickets on-line on this site but I have never tried, DB is easier.

You can buy the Kleingruppenkarte at a machine but whether this applies to DB machines as well as local transport machines I have yet to discover.

The Kleingruppenkarte is a Day Ticket with roughly the same conditions as a DB Lander ticket ie. unlimited travel all day Monday to Friday from 9:00, Saturday, Sunday, Public Holidays from 01:00. so you only pay 1x34.90 for the return journey.

Just out of interest, for 3 adults the DB Hamburg, Schleswig-Holstein Lander ticket is slightly cheaper at 33 euro and is also valid on the whole of the Hamburg transport system (trains, buses and ferries).

For 3 travellers the only advantage of the Kleingruppenkarte over the DB Lander ticket is that it is also valid on the buses in Schleswig-Holstein.

Happy travelling :)

Anni

Edited by Travelanni
spelling

Hi again, just another idea.

If you decide that a visit to Lübeck would be a bit rushed and wanted something nearer to Kiel a nice alternative would be to take the ferry to the small seaside town of Laboe further down the fijord. The ferry leaves fairly frequently from the landing stage right alongside the cruise terminal and the 1 hour trip takes you through sheltered water, close to the very pretty shoreline.

http://www.sfk-kiel.de/en/index.php

Laboe is a typical German seaside town but the main interest here is the Naval Memorial.

http://www.deutscher-marinebund.de/geschichte_me_english.htm

Part of the complex is a naval museum and the grounds feature various artifacts including the World War II-era German Submarine U-955, the world's only remaining type VII U boat, which is open to the public.

http://www.warmuseums.nl/gal/061gal.htm

Traditionally every ship passing the Memorial (and there are dozens every day going to and from the Canal) dips its flag in salute as this is the only memorial in the world to commemorate ALL sailors of ALL nations.

However it is by no means a grim place. The setting is beautiful, both the exterior and interior architecture is unusual and interesting and the view from the top of the tower is stunning! The little town is very pleasant with cafes and restaurants as well as the usual shops for souvenirs.

Anni

I want to echo the advice about Laboe, which you will sail past in the canal. We had planned on going to Hamburg for our Kiel day, but we were quite tired by that time and decided to spend the day relaxing in Kiel. I mistakenly thought it had a beach; that beach is in Laboe. Kiel is charming, but if you aren't up to the journey to Hamburg or Lubeck, I would first recommend the sites at Laboe.

Have a great cruise !

Edited by syesmar

Hi, The web site of nah.sh has got to be the most complicated transport web site I have ever used! You can buy tickets on-line on this site but I have never tried, DB is easier.

You can buy the Kleingruppenkarte at a machine but whether this applies to DB machines as well as local transport machines I have yet to discover.

The Kleingruppenkarte is a Day Ticket with roughly the same conditions as a DB Lander ticket ie. unlimited travel all day Monday to Friday from 9:00, Saturday, Sunday, Public Holidays from 01:00. so you only pay 1x34.90 for the return journey.

Just out of interest, for 3 adults the DB Hamburg, Schleswig-Holstein Lander ticket is slightly cheaper at 33 euro and is also valid on the whole of the Hamburg transport system (trains, buses and ferries).

For 3 travellers the only advantage of the Kleingruppenkarte over the DB Lander ticket is that it is also valid on the buses in Schleswig-Holstein.

Happy travelling :)

Anni

Vielen dank :D

I just ordered the tickets via bahn.de so we are good to go :D

We are going to the HSV Bayern game this Saturday but we are arriving by car so we figured that with the Hamburg Marathon on the same thay it would be easier to park the car outside the city and we did find a nice hotel in Kiel as well with free parking. :D

Vielen dank :D

I just ordered the tickets via bahn.de so we are good to go :D

We are going to the HSV Bayern game this Saturday but we are arriving by car so we figured that with the Hamburg Marathon on the same thay it would be easier to park the car outside the city and we did find a nice hotel in Kiel as well with free parking. :D

Glad to help. Smart thinking re parking in Kiel. With both the marathon and the football Hamburg is not a place to be driving.

Enjoy the game :)

Anni

I have relaxed this afternoon reading all your wonderful advice.

Am deciding for our port stay July 5 the best way to spend our time. We might want to browse through the town of Warnemunde if it is a pleasant day and can you give best advice on transportation. As we arrive as early as 6 a.m. we can have a leisurely breakfast and then make a full day.

I also was considering the zoo - is it easy to get to from the port of Rostock?

You have such wonderful information, I hope you are happy with your new location and will have lots more to tell with all you will discover.

Lynda & Garry

1. The cost of a taxi is around 20-25 euros but you can work it out using

http://www.hansetaxi-rostock.de/en/fares.html

these fares are mandatory for all companies. The road distance from the ship to the city is approx 13klms. All taxis can take at least 4 passengers.

It is a while since I was down at LP31 but the berth is right beside the gate and immediately outside is a car park where the taxis were waiting but if there are none left it is an easy 10min walk to the Ferry Terminal. Cross the car park to the main road, turn right, walk up the road until you come to a major turning on the right which is signed to the Scandlines ferries. The taxi park is about 100m towards the ferry.

If you prefer you could order a taxi using the contact page on the web site above.

2. IMHO it is not worth getting first class tickets. Both the s-bahn with its new rolling stock and the REs are spacious, comfortable, air-conditioned and have good, clean facilities. There is only a very small amount of first class seating (half the upper deck of one car on an RE) and the difference in the two classes is negligible. There is no WIFI on either of these trains as they are short distance. WIFI is only available on certain ICE routes and in DB first class lounges on the bigger main stations.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Great one more thing on the way back from the train station to ship are there taxis readily avail?

Great one more thing on the way back from the train station to ship are there taxis readily avail?

Hi,

Rostock Main Station - There are always taxis available outside both entrances, the northern entrance is the best. The way is clearly signed on the overhead boards in the concourse.

Warnemünde - taxis to the left of the platforms, immediately before the bridge.

Lütten Klein - there is no actual taxi rank but sometimes there are taxis in the car park to the left of the station. I would not rely on a taxi from here!

Anni

Anni,

No worry. The answers you provided to my first bunch of questions already took care of my main concern. So even though I suspected that you might have missed my 2nd message, I didn't feel the need to nag you.

We will have some euro with us when we reach Rostock. However, after reading more of your helpful messages to others, we are pretty much set to use taxi both ways, from L31 to Rostock Hbf and back.

I think we are all set for a DIY excursion to Schwerin. Thanks again.

Hi Anni

I was just reviewing my info sheet I do for anyone doing the Molli and checking one of the google earth links, it appears Warnemunde Werft station and bus/car park has been re built. Looks like the footbridge has gone too. Is it still possible for people to coss the line from Werftallee to get to the 119 bus stop? Is this by subway or a 'track level' crossing, as it appears the new bridge is quite a way down the line. Just thought, does the 119 still stop at its 'old' bus stop or does it run from the station coach park now.

Thanks for your help.

Simon

(e mail me the answer if you want)

Edited by sddsddean

I have relaxed this afternoon reading all your wonderful advice.

Am deciding for our port stay July 5 the best way to spend our time. We might want to browse through the town of Warnemunde if it is a pleasant day and can you give best advice on transportation. As we arrive as early as 6 a.m. we can have a leisurely breakfast and then make a full day.

I also was considering the zoo - is it easy to get to from the port of Rostock?

You have such wonderful information, I hope you are happy with your new location and will have lots more to tell with all you will discover.

Lynda & Garry

Hi,

Thank you for your appreciation.

I am assuming that your ship is the Eurodam, berthing LP41, 06:00 to 22:00.

Berths LP41/LP31 to Warnemünde

Walk out of the dock gate onto the main road. Turn right. The bus stop is a short way up the road on the same side. Take #45 bus to Lütten Klein rail station (the bus terminates here). Take the s-bahn, from the nearer platform, to Warnemünde .

Total travel time about 35mins

Buses depart - 8:36 and 9:32

Trains - every 15 mins.

One ticket @ 1.90 euro covers both bus and train. Tickets from the machine on the bus. Machine accepts all coins, up to 10 euro notes and cards with chip and pin

Berths LP41/LP31 to Rostock Zoo

Bus to Lütten Klein rail station. Take s-bahn, from the platform on the opposite side of the tracks, direction Rostock Hbf. The subway is on the right-hand end of the nearer platform.

Get off the train at Park Strasse (5th stop). Walk down the steps to the main road. The tram stop is under the rail bridge.

Take tram #6, direction Neuer Friedhof, to Zoo (5th stop). Zoo entrance is straight across the tracks.

Total travel time under 1 hour.

Provided you make the journey in a straight line, ie bus/train/tram, one ticket @ 1.90 euro covers the whole journey.

To return to the ship.

Trains run every 15 mins. #45 bus every hour at 21mins past the hour, last bus 19:21

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
Better information

Hi Anni

I was just reviewing my info sheet I do for anyone doing the Molli and checking one of the google earth links, it appears Warnemunde Werft station and bus/car park has been re built. Looks like the footbridge has gone too. Is it still possible for people to coss the line from Werftallee to get to the 119 bus stop? Is this by subway or a 'track level' crossing, as it appears the new bridge is quite a way down the line. Just thought, does the 119 still stop at its 'old' bus stop or does it run from the station coach park now.

Thanks for your help.

Simon

(e mail me the answer if you want)

Hi Simon,

There is now a subway, slopes only - no steps. On the Google satellite view it shows as the roofed areas to the right of the platforms.

Part of the re-building plan was to integrate the bus and train services. Last time I was there the bus stop was right at the station, out front just beyond the car-park but building was still in progress and there were plans for a small bus station just a little to the right of the subway. I have not been down there for a while so am not sure if it is completed yet. Best plan is to look for the round yellow and green sign with a green H wherever it may be at the moment. In any case the bus will be much easier to find than previously.

The coach park to the left of the station is for coaches only.

Many thanks for your info sheet. :) I know it has been of great help to people wanting to ride the Molli.

Anni

Lynda & Garry

We were in port at Warnemunde last year and really enjoyed it. We took the train from Warnemunde to Schwerin in the morning (LOVED Schwerin, by the way). On our way back, we stopped off in Rostock for a while before heading back. I recall the journey being very easy to manage. I had no idea there was so much to do in Warnemunde, or we would’ve planned for more time there. The beach was the best of our entire cruise. The town was so quaintly beautiful, a great place to stroll. As I recall, there were good shopping opportunities, as well. Have fun!

Edited by syesmar