Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

I went to the train link that bama boy shared in this posting and was able to find out more information with a time schedule. However, the ticket could only be purchased 3 months in advanced. For the stations, I entered Berlin hbf (central station) since it is next to my hotel and Warnemunde werft which is the station located next to the pier. At the time that I will be sailing, Regal Princess will be docked at P8 which is near the train station. Where the ship will dock I found out from another link on CC. There is a transfer of trains in Rostock. Since I selected a quick connection on the site, I had a 10 minute connection time. I still need to look at how large Rostock station is since it is a feeding point for many trains and this will determine how much connection time I will take into account with my luggage, finding the next track, check-in, etc.

Thanks for all your help!

The Quer Durch Land ticket is good from 9am-3am throughout Germany for any regional trains (S, R, RE). No advance purchase is necessary nor specific trains designated. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

I went to the train link that bama boy shared in this posting and was able to find out more information with a time schedule. However, the ticket could only be purchased 3 months in advanced. For the stations, I entered Berlin hbf (central station) since it is next to my hotel and Warnemunde werft which is the station located next to the pier. At the time that I will be sailing, Regal Princess will be docked at P8 which is near the train station. Where the ship will dock I found out from another link on CC. There is a transfer of trains in Rostock. Since I selected a quick connection on the site, I had a 10 minute connection time. I still need to look at how large Rostock station is since it is a feeding point for many trains and this will determine how much connection time I will take into account with my luggage, finding the next track, check-in, etc.

Thanks for all your help!

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the lack of answers to your questions but I have been 'out of circulation' for several weeks. Thanks to all who have contributed in my absence.

To hiworldtraveler

For all the information you need on travel between Berlin and Warnemünde please see my web site - Berlin page. The standard ticket is the best price option for a solo traveller on weekdays and can be purchased any time from 3 months before the date of travel.

Rostock Hbf is a fairly small station, easy to navigate and well signed. Trains to Warnemünde run every 15 mins so missing a connection is not a big deal.

The nearest station to the berth P8 is Warnemünde Hbf, not Warnemünde Werft. From train to ship is about a 5min walk through a subway with steps but taxis are available if you have a lot of luggage.

To QuattroRomeo

Schwerin is worth a visit on a Monday. The castle apartments are closed but the gardens and the Orangerie Cafe along with everything else in Schwerin are open. A nice option on a fine day is a 5 Lake Boat Tour. The boats depart from the quay next to the castle. It is possible to visit Ludwigslust as well. Please see my website for details.

To Shiraz49

Hope you are having luck with your addresses. The Hamburg transport system - s-bahn, u-bahn, buses and ferries - is excellent and reasonably priced.

The best site for all the information you need is http://www.hvv.de/en/

If you use their maps in conjunction with the info you already have on Google maps getting to the places you want to see should be pretty straightforward. If you need any help please do not hesitate to ask.

To BAMA_BOY and Pompeii

You seem to have done your research well but I have just updated the info for the trains time and fares between Berlin and Warnemünde if you need any further help.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
additional info

Thank you for all your info it is remarkable I am very grateful for it all

My DH and I r cruising thru the Baltic and will disembark in Stockholm then take the train down to hamburg then over to Berlin then over to Amsterdam all in 7 days with a 10 o'clock flight on the 7th. I have down a lot of research and am interested in the Holocaust Memorials along the way.

Thank in advance

Denise

Hi Travelanni,

One more question... You mentioned that from Warnemunde hbf to P8 is only a 5 minute walk through a subway with steps. Does the subway have elevators or escalators? A 5-minute walk is not problem with luggage which has wheels; however, if there are only stairs, it may not be easy to carry a suitcase & a carry-on up and down.

Thanks for any clarification.

Hi Travelanni,

One more question... You mentioned that from Warnemunde hbf to P8 is only a 5 minute walk through a subway with steps. Does the subway have elevators or escalators? A 5-minute walk is not problem with luggage which has wheels; however, if there are only stairs, it may not be easy to carry a suitcase & a carry-on up and down.

If you take a look at Heinbloed's blog about Warnemunde you might find more specific information. Heinbloed is a great resource who also posts here on C.C. I did notice stairs in one of the pictures, but didn't take time to look at the whole blog.

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemunde-germany-train-station-guide.html

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Hi Travelanni,

Hi, unfortunately the subway does not have either escalators or steps. There are two flights of around six, fairly shallow, steps at each end. Most people find this is manageable, especially with wheeled luggage.

This station is due for an upgrade in the near future when the subway will disappear altogether and the access to the Cruise Terminal from the station made level as the trains no longer run beyond the platforms. There is level access over the adjacent car park but the extra distance, about 800m, is not really worth it unless you simply cannot manage steps eg. people with wheelchairs and walking aids.

Anni

I do not wish to denigrate Heinblod in any way whatsoever, his blogs are very detailed and full of useful information; but please be aware that they do not seem to have been updated since 2009 and many things in the Warnemünde/Rostock area have changed in the last 5 years.

Edited by Travelanni

Dear Anni,

Thank you again for the train station information. What a relief! I should have no problem in navigating those stairs with my luggage and walking to the ship. When you originally mentioned stairs at the station, I envisioned the Rome station waiting for a train to Civitavecchia and the number of stairs from street level to the platform. Lucky it was just a port of call and touring on my own with only a day bag. Older local folks were struggling with the stairs; definitely not friendly for those with mobility issues.

Once again, thank you for all the helpful information!

I checked your website for train information for Warnemunde to Schwerin. Am I correct that there is no reason to pre- book but can get tickets from a machine? Will American chip and sign card work? (No chip and pin card available at my banks yet)

One final question - there are rates for 1 to 4 people with quite a good group discount. Is this price for all people traveling together, not a family discount but any 2,3,4 people can share the discount?

Once again, sincere thanks for all your help.

Kathy

I checked your website for train information for Warnemunde to Schwerin. Am I correct that there is no reason to pre- book but can get tickets from a machine? Will American chip and sign card work? (No chip and pin card available at my banks yet)

One final question - there are rates for 1 to 4 people with quite a good group discount. Is this price for all people traveling together, not a family discount but any 2,3,4 people can share the discount?

Once again, sincere thanks for all your help.

Kathy

Hi Kathy, thank you for your appreciation.

You are correct. There is no need to buy tickets in advance, they can be bought from the machine or from the ticket office on the station. In most cases I would advise buying in advance to avoid the queue at the machine but as Celebrity ships have a late berthing time (most ships berth between 7:00 and 8:00) this should not be such a problem. Buying at home, on-line is also easier as you have time to figure out the steps and go back if you make a mistake without someone breathing down your neck and jumping up and down in case they miss the train!

I use my Master Card (chip and signature/chip and pin) in the ticket machines all the time and am never asked for a pin number so I guess yours would be OK as long as it is a credit, not debit, card. Otherwise you can always resort to the ticket office although they will charge you an extra 2 euros!

The prices for the Mecklenburg Lander ticket are for any group of up to 4 people travelling together, not just families. One of the group must nominate his/her ID when making the purchase on-line or sign the ticket puchased from a machine/ticket office and be prepared to offer ID if required. If you are travelling with either your children or grandchildren under 15 they travel free but proof of relationship may be required.

Anni

Just a heads-up for people whose ships berth early enough for them to catch the 9:07 train from Rostock on a weekday. As you will be leaving Warnemünde before 9:00 and the Lander ticket is not valid until 9:00 you will need single tickets for the train to Rostock. Your Lander ticket is valid for the return journey.

Edited by Travelanni

Hello Travelanni,

I am looking for a cruise that includes more then one stop in Germany and found one that includes 3 days in Hamburg, a day in Warnemunde and some time on the canal. We want to experience some German culture, architecture and food, that type of thing so we thought we would stick to Schwerin Castle or Rostock in Warnemunde, although Berlin must be so interesting. What is there to do in Hamburg for three days? Also is the Kiel Canal very scenic?

Any info is appreciated!:)

I have been looking to see savings fares as my trip approaches 90 days until some train travel. On Bahn.DE savings fares some of the fares have "(Res. Info)"

Under the savings fare, but no explanation of what this means. I'm currently looking specifically for Frankfurt to Antwerp. Is this a fare open only to German residents? If I tried to book it would the online reservations system let me book that savings fare? So far I'm just looking to see fare trends - I'm less than a

week out from when I will actually be booking.

I have been looking to see savings fares as my trip approaches 90 days until some train travel. On Bahn.DE savings fares some of the fares have "(Res. Info)"

Under the savings fare, but no explanation of what this means. I'm currently looking specifically for Frankfurt to Antwerp. Is this a fare open only to German residents? If I tried to book it would the online reservations system let me book that savings fare? So far I'm just looking to see fare trends - I'm less than a

week out from when I will actually be booking.

Hi,

If you click on the words Res.Info it will give you the explanation. Briefly it means that the bus element of the trip is subject to compulsory seat reservation which is included in the fare.

I expect you will have noticed that the 29 euro fares apply where there is a bus involved and the lenghth of the trip is almost twice that of the 49 euro trip on trains only. For my money the extra time and transfers are not worth the 20 euro saving.

The savings fares are open to anyone but they are limited in number so it is advisable to book ASAP.

Anni

Hello Travelanni,

I am looking for a cruise that includes more then one stop in Germany and found one that includes 3 days in Hamburg, a day in Warnemunde and some time on the canal. We want to experience some German culture, architecture and food, that type of thing so we thought we would stick to Schwerin Castle or Rostock in Warnemunde, although Berlin must be so interesting. What is there to do in Hamburg for three days? Also is the Kiel Canal very scenic?

Any info is appreciated!:)

Hi,

Schwerin and/or Rostock are a good idea from Warnemünde. They are very different but both offer plenty of the kind experiences you are looking for. Warnemünde itself is a typical North German seaside town and worth exploring. For more information on all three please see my web site.

Hamburg has a lot to see and do, one of the most informative web sites being http://www.hamburg-travel.com/attractions/

Some lesser known things to do in Hamburg:-

• Walk through the Old Elbe Tunnel http://www.hafen-hamburg.de/en/poi/alter-elbtunnel-old-elbe-tunnel .
  • Ride the glass elevator to the top of the St Nicholas church tower. The church was destroyed in WWll but the tower remains as a memorial.http://www.hamburg-travel.com/attractions/culture-in-hamburg/culture-from-a-to-z/st.-nikolai-memorial/
  • Take the s-bahn (#3 or #31) from the main station or #10 ferry from Landungsbrücken and visit Ballinstadt, the departure point of thousands of immigrants to the New World. http://english.hamburg.de/ballinstadt/
  • Take the #62 ferry from Landungsbrücken to Finkenwerder past the docks. Change to #64 ferry and cross the river to Teufelsbrück, one of the city beaches. From here bus #36 will take you back to the city.

The UNESCO heritage listed city of Lübeck is an easy one hour train ride from Hamburg and well worth a day trip. http://www.luebeck-tourism.de/discover.html

The Kiel canal is not exactly scenic as the country is very flat but it is interesting. It is the busiest deep-water canal in the world with locks at both ends. The rail bridge at Rensburg is a real feat of engineering and also unique in that it has a hanging ferry underneath for cars. Only the smaller cruise ships can use the canal as there is not enough clearance under the bridge for the big ships.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendsburg_High_Bridge

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

HI Anni,

We are 4 folks looking for a private guide for our one day in Hamburg. Any suggestions? We like to learn about history, culture and the people of the places we travel. Have had little luck googling to find someone.

Would you suggest we get a guide in Lubeck or is it better to do on our own?

HI Anni,

We are 4 folks looking for a private guide for our one day in Hamburg. Any suggestions? We like to learn about history, culture and the people of the places we travel. Have had little luck googling to find someone.

Would you suggest we get a guide in Lubeck or is it better to do on our own?

Have you looked into the tours that Viator offers? You might find something there, also visit hamburg-travel.com where you can find what is going on for events, etc. I did an Alster boat cruise, which was a nice hour or so. Hamburg is a big city.

I think if you bought a good guide book or did your homework before you left, you can do Luebeck on your own. Here are some walking tours:

http://www.luebeck-tourism.de/discover/city-walks-trips/individual-city-walks.html

Is their any park and ride facilities (hopefully some free ones) on the S-bahn that runs past the olympic stadium.

As we are attending a soccer game we will try to avoid the stadiums car park as we are heading for the ferry in Rostock afterwards.

The game ends around 17:15'ish and the ferry departs at 22:15 but then we should probably be there 30 minutes before departure.

So still alot of time to get back to Rostock :D

I know its not a cruise related question buck I think I have saved up in the bank for this question, plus there is 2x ferry trips included. :D

Is their any park and ride facilities (hopefully some free ones) on the S-bahn that runs past the olympic stadium.

As we are attending a soccer game we will try to avoid the stadiums car park as we are heading for the ferry in Rostock afterwards.

The game ends around 17:15'ish and the ferry departs at 22:15 but then we should probably be there 30 minutes before departure.

So still alot of time to get back to Rostock :D

I know its not a cruise related question buck I think I have saved up in the bank for this question, plus there is 2x ferry trips included. :D

Hi Danish Viking, you definitely have enough credit for several questions (and answers too)!

I am assuming that you mean the Olympic Stadium in Berlin and that you will be driving in from Rostock.

The city s-bahn stations do not have car parks, only the stations in the outer suburbs. If you are coming in from the north, using a park and ride would involve 1 or 2 changes of s-bahn line as the S5 to the Olympic Stadium crosses the city from east to west. If you take the ring road round the city then you have more choices but you would have to drive further.

Whatever you do the ride on the s-bahn from a park and ride would be at least 20mins. Probably more time than it would take to get clear of the the car park at the stadium and onto road 100 which leads straight onto the E26.

If you let me know what route you intend to take when you reach Berlin and how far do you want to drive into the city I will try to be of more help.

Happy cruising :rolleyes:

Cheers :),

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

Sorry if I didn't specify that, yes it is the olympic stadium and not Alte Försterei :D

We where thinking of using one of S5's western stations if that was possible, my theory is that everyone else is heading east towards downtown Berlin after the game.

We do arrive in Berlin around 11, our plan was to park the car and then take a train into Berlin for some lunch and a beer before the game.

When leaving the stadium we were hoping that we just either walk or take the train for a few stations to catch our car.

A few questions pop up.

I'm guessing the stadiums car park isn't filled up at the time of arrival.

But will it not take ages to get out of the car park after the game?

It will perhaps take longer time to get a train and find our car compared to just use the stadiums car park and wait for the traffic to ease up.

But but but, unless its bunkers our main criteria is to find a park and ride facility on the western fringes of Berlin along the S5.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Edited by Danish viking

The line S5 ends at Spandau only two stations west of the stadium. Pichelsberg, next to the stadium has no car park, in fact it is still inside the stadium complex, but Stresow appears to have a small parking area. However, Spandau station is right next to a very large shopping centre with parking for 1800 cars, open until 01:00 The parking tariff is a bit ambiguous but it seems very cheap if you buy a day ticket.

NORMALTICKET

1 hour = 1.00 €

2nd hour = 1.00 €

3rd hour = 1.00 €

each additional hour 2,00 €

DAY TICKET

Parking and shopping all day for 3.00 €Euro

This would be my choice if I was making the same trip as you.

Cheers :),

Anni

That was exactly what I was looking for.

Just let me know if you visit Denmark (and southern Sweden) and I can help you with almost everything.

Glad to have been of help. Enjoy the match :). If you need any more help with Berlin please ask.

I intend to visit Stockholm later in the year, travelling by train from Hamburg via Copenhagen so will most certainly take up your offer of help. Thanks

Cheers,

Anni

Then we just need a victory to Schalke 04 :D

This will be my 4th time to Berlin so I think I got the rest figured out, but this is the first time we have done it as a day trip so this is a new situation for us.

We have done it by car before but then we could park the car by our hotel the 2 other trips have been with train or airplane or a combination of both.