Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

Our ship, the Pullmantur Monarch is scheduled to dock at 7am on Sept. 10th at Warnemunde Seehafen L31. That is not the main port, and I would like to confirm that I know the best way to get to Berlin.

Option 1: Catch a taxi to Rostock HBF and try to catch the 8:34 train to Berlin HBF. It is an RE train, qualifies for the Schönes-Wochenende discount, and would have us in Berlin at 11:11. Will there be taxis waiting at the pier, and could you give me some kind of idea as to the cost?

Option 2: We may not be off the ship in time to do Option 1, but the next option would be departing Seehafen at 9:02 when bus 49 heads to Rostock HBF Sud. I assume that Sud only refers to the south side of the train station. There is no connecting train to Berlin, however, until 10:49, and that would be an ICE train, so we could not get the discount.

Option 3: If it takes longer than that to be processed and get off the ship, then the next available departure is 12:34. If this happens, is there anywhere we could store our luggage for an hour or so to go tour Rostock for a bit? And how do we get the scenic area of Rostock?

We are staying at Titanic Deluxe Berlin, and I am assuming that Berlin HBF is the destination I should be using. We will probably just take a taxi from there.

I am a little compulsive about having a plan. Can someone please confirm that I am reading everything (schedules) correctly, headed to the right places, etc.?

Are there any other suggestions or things that I have not thought of?

Thanks so much for your thoughts & suggestions! It makes our travel experience so much smoother!

Our ship, the Pullmantur Monarch is scheduled to dock at 7am on Sept. 10th at Warnemunde Seehafen L31. That is not the main port, and I would like to confirm that I know the best way to get to Berlin.

Option 1: Catch a taxi to Rostock HBF and try to catch the 8:34 train to Berlin HBF. It is an RE train, qualifies for the Schönes-Wochenende discount, and would have us in Berlin at 11:11. Will there be taxis waiting at the pier, and could you give me some kind of idea as to the cost?

Option 2: We may not be off the ship in time to do Option 1, but the next option would be departing Seehafen at 9:02 when bus 49 heads to Rostock HBF Sud. I assume that Sud only refers to the south side of the train station. There is no connecting train to Berlin, however, until 10:49, and that would be an ICE train, so we could not get the discount.

Option 3: If it takes longer than that to be processed and get off the ship, then the next available departure is 12:34. If this happens, is there anywhere we could store our luggage for an hour or so to go tour Rostock for a bit? And how do we get the scenic area of Rostock?

We are staying at Titanic Deluxe Berlin, and I am assuming that Berlin HBF is the destination I should be using. We will probably just take a taxi from there.

I am a little compulsive about having a plan. Can someone please confirm that I am reading everything (schedules) correctly, headed to the right places, etc.?

Are there any other suggestions or things that I have not thought of?

Thanks so much for your thoughts & suggestions! It makes our travel experience so much smoother!

Hi, in answer to your questions:-

Option 1. Your times are correct. There will be taxis and the cost should be around 35 euro.

Option 2. Your times are correct but the train may take a little longer than scheduled owing to track work. Sud refers to the South entrance to the station where the buses stop. If you booked now, on line, there is a special fare of 29 euro pp.

Option 3. There are several sets of luggage lockers on the station. To reach the centre of Rostock you go to the underground level of the station, platform marked 'city' and take a number 5 or 6 tram to stops Neu Markt, Langestr or Kroepeliner Tor.

Berlin Hbf is the most convenient. There are always plenty of taxis.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

Dear Travelanni. We arrive in Warnemunde next July on celebrity eclipse

I wonder if you could help me out.

I am traveling with my wife and 5yr old son and we are keen to visit Berlin. The ship offers a tour but it's 3hrs by bus each way!!

Is there a train service to Berlin that's better and then we could explore on our own maybe? This or any other advice is gratefully received. My apologies if you have answered something similar before.

Rich [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am traveling with my wife and 5yr old son and we are keen to visit Berlin. The ship offers a tour but it's 3hrs by bus each way!!

Is there a train service to Berlin that's better and then we could explore on our own maybe? This or any other advice is gratefully received. My apologies if you have answered something similar before.

Rich [emoji2]

Hi Rich,

Sorry to have to tell you but it is around three hours each way from Warnemunde to Berlin however you do it.

The train service is every two hours from Rostock but unfortunately it does not mesh well with docking times of most ships.

Some of the cruise lines and private companies offer 'transport only' to Berlin and you can then explore on your own but Berlin is very spread out and you can waste precious time finding your way around.

I am a fan of DIY touring but if you are intent on visiting Berlin from Warnemunde then I would recommend using a tour company. Reading through this forum you will find several which are highly recommended.

Many people from UK skip Berlin as they say it is almost as cheap to fly there for a few days and see much more than you can in the six or so hours you have from a cruise ship.

There are some nice alternatives, suitable for children, including the beautiful little seaside town of Warnemunde itself. For more details please see my web site.

Happy cruising:)

Anni

I'd suggest doing the Molli Train to keep the 5 year old more engaged and then perhaps the beach.

2016_molli01_800x500.jpg

Berlin is a big city, not much that will keep the boy interested and a long long day.

Go to Wismar and look at the boats along the harbour and try to find the bridge with the piggies on it by one of the churches.

schweinbruecke.jpg

Anni & Sauer Kraut.

Thank you so much for your advice. Looking forward to going back to Germany.

He will love the train

Kindest regards

Rich

Rich, drop me an e mail and I'll send you my 'how to do it' sheet.

Simon

What is the best way to pay for goods and services in Warnemunde and Rostock? Credit card or euros?

I appreciate the help!

It all depends on where you are purchasing stuff. A fish broetchen from the fish boats will not take a credit card. Your train/tram tickets can be purchased with a credit card. Most restaurants will take the card, the beach ticket meter will only take cash (coins I think).

It all depends on where you are purchasing stuff. A fish broetchen from the fish boats will not take a credit card. Your train/tram tickets can be purchased with a credit card. Most restaurants will take the card, the beach ticket meter will only take cash (coins I think).

Thank you! At least I know that my credit card will work for a few things. This is good information.

TravelAnni,

We have another question about the Schönes Wochenende Ticket. We are going to try to catch the 8:34 train departing Rostock Hbf to Berlin Hbf on Saturday, Sept. 3, but it will be tight. If are running out of time, is it possible to purchase the ticket on the train?

Or if we bought a ticket for the later train at 10:38, but were able to make the earlier train, could we still use the ticket or change it onboard?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Christy

TravelAnni,

We have another question about the Schönes Wochenende Ticket. We are going to try to catch the 8:34 train departing Rostock Hbf to Berlin Hbf on Saturday, Sept. 3, but it will be tight. If are running out of time, is it possible to purchase the ticket on the train?

Or if we bought a ticket for the later train at 10:38, but were able to make the earlier train, could we still use the ticket or change it onboard?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Christy

Hi, this ticket can be used on any RE, RB or s-Bahn train any time between midnight and 3am Saturday or Sunday. In other words you can buy it in advance, use it on the s-Bahn between Warnemunde and Rostock, catch whichever RE you like from Rostock to Berlin and then use it on the s-Bahn to get around Berlin.

I would strongly recommend buying on-line as it saves time on the day.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

Hi, this ticket can be used on any RE, RB or s-Bahn train any time between midnight and 3am Saturday or Sunday. In other words you can buy it in advance, use it on the s-Bahn between Warnemunde and Rostock, catch whichever RE you like from Rostock to Berlin and then use it on the s-Bahn to get around Berlin.

I would strongly recommend buying on-line as it saves time on the day.

Anni

Thankyou again! I thought that I had to purchase tickets for a specific train departure. This makes it much easier!

I'd like to clarify one thing about the Lander ticket. First it worked like a charm. Being the over thinking kind of guy I am, I started thinking that somehow I needed to stamp or certify the ticket prior to boarding the train. Since there was no one to ask at Warnemunde, I spent our one hour layover in Rostock, trying to find out if it was necessary. It wasn't. On the train to Schwering, the conductor came by and wanted to see the ticket and the credit card used to book the ticket. She stamped it and all was good for all 4 in my party. On the return trip, conductor again checked it but did not want to see credit card. It was a whole lot simpler than I tried to make it. Thanks Annie.

PS. Check return times at station in Schwering (or wherever you are going) as they do get revised.

• 2 months later...

My wife and I will be on the Sept 2nd sailing of the NCL Getaway out of Warnemunde. We are flying into Berlin, arriving at 4:30 AM on Thursday. We have not made return reservations yet, need more FF miles. My thinking is to spend Thursday evening and Friday morning in Berlin and then perhaps staying in Lubeck on Friday night then train to Warnemunde on Sat AM. That would give us a little time Warnemunde to sightsee before boarding the ship.

Post cruise I am not sure what best use of time would be, back to Berlin for more sightseeing? Or schedule flight out of Amsterdam and spend a few days there. We have never been to Europe, and this will probably be our only trip.

I am looking for recommendations.

My wife and I will be on the Sept 2nd sailing of the NCL Getaway out of Warnemunde. We are flying into Berlin, arriving at 4:30 AM on Thursday. We have not made return reservations yet, need more FF miles. My thinking is to spend Thursday evening and Friday morning in Berlin and then perhaps staying in Lubeck on Friday night then train to Warnemunde on Sat AM. That would give us a little time Warnemunde to sightsee before boarding the ship.

Post cruise I am not sure what best use of time would be, back to Berlin for more sightseeing? Or schedule flight out of Amsterdam and spend a few days there. We have never been to Europe, and this will probably be our only trip.

I am looking for recommendations.

This is confusing. You state that the cruise departs Warnemuende on September 2nd (which is Friday), yet you want to spend Friday night in Luebeck and take the train to Warnemuende on Saturday.

Also, it would help to know your itinerary. For example, if the ship has a port stop in Kiel, you could do a day trip to Luebeck then.

But no matter your itinerary, as a former resident of Berlin, I would say you should spend at least 2-3 FULL days there to see the sights (and there's plenty to fill even more time if you have it.)

Your choice of a destination after your cruise depends on your interests. Amsterdam is a fine city to visit and you can easily get to other interesting places in the Netherlands from there. But, of course, there are other great European cities such as London, Paris, Copenhagen, Prague, Vienna, etc.

Lubeck was a possibility since that is closest IHG property I could find trying to use IHG points for hotels to help control costs. I was trying to get as close to Warnemunde as I could. We are on the NCL Getaway, visiting Copenhagen, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Stockholm and Helsinki. Arrival date is set, but haven't schedule return flt. We will probably have 3 or 4 days post cruise to sight see, but don't have any idea of what to do.

Lubeck was a possibility since that is closest IHG property I could find trying to use IHG points for hotels to help control costs. I was trying to get as close to Warnemunde as I could. We are on the NCL Getaway, visiting Copenhagen, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Stockholm and Helsinki. Arrival date is set, but haven't schedule return flt. We will probably have 3 or 4 days post cruise to sight see, but don't have any idea of what to do.

Whoops, my mistake. I was looking at September 2016, not September 2017!

So, here's what it looks like you want to do before your cruise:

Thursday, August 31st--Arrive in Berlin at 4:30 am. Sightsee and O/N

Friday, Sept. 1st.--Sightsee in Berlin in the morning. Take the train (about 3 hours) from Berlin to Luebeck. O/N in Luebeck.

Saturday, Sept. 2nd--Take train from Luebeck to Warnemuende (about 2.5 - 3 hours). Walk around Warnemuende and board ship.

Based on this itinerary, I think you are short-changing Berlin (big time!) and Luebeck as well. You are effectively only spending 1 day in Berlin (when you factor in jet lag, opening hours, etc.) Then you are spending 6 hours total on trains to/from Luebeck. I really like Luebeck, but you will only have a few hours there for sightseeing and it deserves more time than that. I think it makes more sense to spend all day Thursday and Friday in Berlin and then take the train to Warnemuende on Saturday morning. (I realize you want to save money by staying at a hotel in Luebeck, but you will be spending extra money on the train to get there and extra time sitting on the train which could be spent sightseeing in Berlin.)

As for what to do for 3 - 4 days after the cruise ends in Warnemuende, it all depends on what you'd like to see/do. You should also factor in how you are going to get to that destination. Are you going to fly, requiring you to get back to Berlin or some other large city, or are taking a train from Warnemuende? (Note: a train from Warnemuende to Amsterdam will take all day--about 8 hours.)

I appreciate that info, so changing my plan to spend 2 nights in Berlin, we then have the question of what to see in that day and a half of sightseeing in Berlin and what to do with 4 days post cruise. I know that that is not enough time to see even all of Berlin. We will be traveling using public transportation and my wife has mobility issues, so we travel with a wheel chair. I appreciate all the help and suggestions provided.

Hi Anni,

First I want to thank you for the information you provide on your website and this forum. It is invaluable for us first time travelers to Germany.

You have listed the best rate for 4 people traveling via train from Berlin to Warenemunde (68 euro). We have a group of 5 from our roll call meeting in Berlin 2 days before our May 26 Getaway cruise. Looking on the Bahn.de website, a group rate starts at 6 people. Is there a great rate for 5 traveling together? The 4 for 68 rate breaks down to about 17 euro each...is it simplistic of me to think a 5th person would be 17 euro also? Not sure if we are going to try and purchase our tickets online prior to leaving the US or buy at the station before we depart.

Thank again for your help.

Deb

Schloss Charlottenburg

Just walk/ride Unter den Linden

Visit the "Alex" ,Alexanderplaz which was the East German plaza with the Communication Needle and now a meeting place for people.

The Pergamon Museum

Visit a Kabaret in the evening (unfortunately all in German)

Schloss Charlottenburg is beautiful and a great introduction to Berlin. When we visited it was a lovely sunny day. We spent most of the morning touring the Schloss and its gardens. We walked the Unter den Linden and visited the Pergamon Museum. These are excellent recommendations! Although we had rented a car for our three days in Berlin, we found we enjoyed walking the streets, enjoying the ambiance of this world-class city.