Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

Anni if you can help. Will be there on May 24th docking in Warnemunde. I believe I can take the tram to Rostock then the train to Schwerin to visit the castle and grounds in early AM then back to Rostock to look around before going back to ship. I will be off before 8 AM and plan to be back on board around five. A couple of questions.

Do you see any problems with the itinerary? Is it doable?

What are not to miss sites in Schwerin and Rostock?

Any recommendations for a good place to eat (German authentic)?

Thank you

Hi Anni, my family of four (kids 17 and 20 years old) will be on the Getaway arriving in Warnemunde on Aug 15. We are not going into Berlin so not sure what we will do other than wander the port or Rostock. The one thing I really want to do is find a nice local lunch restaurant that will serve my favourite of Jaeger Schnitzel and spätzle! My son is also obsessed with Rosti after our Switzerland visit last year, but I told him I don't think it's really a specialty in Germany! Are you able to recommend a local restaurant in port or Rostock area so I can get my fix of Jaeger Schnitzel!? Thanks 😀

Hi Anni, my family of four (kids 17 and 20 years old) will be on the Getaway arriving in Warnemunde on Aug 15. We are not going into Berlin so not sure what we will do other than wander the port or Rostock. The one thing I really want to do is find a nice local lunch restaurant that will serve my favourite of Jaeger Schnitzel and spätzle! My son is also obsessed with Rosti after our Switzerland visit last year, but I told him I don't think it's really a specialty in Germany! Are you able to recommend a local restaurant in port or Rostock area so I can get my fix of Jaeger Schnitzel!? Thanks 😀

Don't waste this day just wandering around Warnemuende or Rostock!

We also chose not to go to Berlin and we had a great morning cycling along the bike path from Warnemuende to Kuehlungsborn (about a 75 minute ride each way). If you wanted to make it an all-day ride, you could go even further. The ride was very scenic, going next to the sea and through some farming areas. Then, in the afternoon, we took the S-bahn to Rostock (4 times each hour, 20 minute ride) where we visited the old Stasi Prison. Admission is free and there are free audioguides with English narration. It was a fascinating place for anyone with an interest in the Cold War.

When we did this tour in July 2015, the price for an all-day bike rental was 9 euros and you had to bring your passport in order to rent a bike. Here are the locations of 2 bike rental shops in Warnemuende:

Alexandrinenstr. 117 (2 blocks from Tourist Information Office)

Muhlenstr. 35 (6 minute walk from Tourist Information Office)

Here are the directions to the Stasi Prison. Iti's only a 10 minute walk from the train station, but it's a little tricky to find:

From the Rostock train station, go north on Gerhart-Hauptmann-Strasse. Take a right onto Paulstrasse until you reach Hermannstrasse. Take a left going north on Hermannstrasse. Cross Augustenstrasse and you will see a Penny Supermarket on your left. The Stasi Prison is in a non-descript building just across from the entrance to the supermarket. (You will see brown signs for it as you get near.)

What great suggestions GradUT! I'm sure my son would be very interested to see the prison? Also wondering if bike ride was across flat grounds? I have some joint problems so if too hilly it might not be great option for me!

Thanks

That area is pretty flat, so if you're game to try it would be a fun day.

As for the Jaegerschnitzel .... well

You are in the Ostsee (Baltic) area and their specialty is FISH so perhaps going "native" and having a fish broetchen might be in order!:D

Looking at Trip Advisor I see a restaurant called Restaurant Carls in Rostock and their menu offers "Carls Schnitzel" with a mushroom sauce (which sounds very much like a Jaegerschnitzel). Have a look at trip advisor and see what else might be around.

Have a fun trip!

What great suggestions GradUT! I'm sure my son would be very interested to see the prison? Also wondering if bike ride was across flat grounds? I have some joint problems so if too hilly it might not be great option for me!

Thanks

It was a flat ride, thank goodness. I can't handle hills either.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Anna

planning to take a late August NCL cruise out of Warnemunde. Probably spend about 6 days in Berlin before the cruise, so my question is about the return. Since what ever airline I take ( back to Canada) I have to transfer from Berlin to another airport I see I cannot possibly make a flight home after disembarking.

My question is whether it makes sense to go to Hamburg for a couple of days and then fly out from there. If so, how difficult would it be to take a train to Hamburg or are you aware of any tour companies that take travellers there, including a tour.( apparently some tour companies offer post cruise transfer and tour to Berlin)

thank you

Hi Anna

planning to take a late August NCL cruise out of Warnemunde. Probably spend about 6 days in Berlin before the cruise, so my question is about the return. Since what ever airline I take ( back to Canada) I have to transfer from Berlin to another airport I see I cannot possibly make a flight home after disembarking.

My question is whether it makes sense to go to Hamburg for a couple of days and then fly out from there. If so, how difficult would it be to take a train to Hamburg or are you aware of any tour companies that take travellers there, including a tour.( apparently some tour companies offer post cruise transfer and tour to Berlin)

thank you

Hi, I do not know any thing about tour companies for the tour you suggest but the train service between Rostock and Warnemuende is excellent. There is one RE, on which the Mecklenburg Lander ticket is valid, every two hours and one IC every two hours making it about one train per hour. The journey time is just over 2hrs for the RE and just under for the IC.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

We'll be flying into Berlin Tegel, and would like to travel on to the cruise port to spend our pre-cruise night there. What is the easiest (but still reasonably priced) way to handle the tranportation? I expect it will only be my husband and I, but the couple we're traveling with may arrive in time to travel with us.

We'll be flying into Berlin Tegel, and would like to travel on to the cruise port to spend our pre-cruise night there. What is the easiest (but still reasonably priced) way to handle the tranportation? I expect it will only be my husband and I, but the couple we're traveling with may arrive in time to travel with us.

Hi,

The easiest way to travel from Berlin Tegel to Warnemünde Cruise Terminal is;

Tegel to Berlin Hbf (main station): by taxi, cost around 20€ or by TXL shuttle bus, fare 2.80€ pp

;) Tip: if you are pushed for time and it is peak hour the bus is the better bet as they travel in dedicated bus lanes.

Berlin Hbf to Rostock Hbf: by train. For timetables and special fares please see the Berlin page on my web site.

Rostock Hbf to Warnemünde: by taxi, cost around 30€ or by s-bahn (suburban train), fare included in ticket from Berlin.

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni, we will be in Warnemunde on Thursday 25th May which is Ascension Day / Father's Day.

What venues and shops are usually open on public holidays (assuming Ascension Day is a public holiday in Germany)

Still deciding between Berlin, Schwerin or staying in Warnemunde and Rostock.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Anni, we will be in Warnemunde on Thursday 25th May which is Ascension Day / Father's Day.

What venues and shops are usually open on public holidays (assuming Ascension Day is a public holiday in Germany)

Still deciding between Berlin, Schwerin or staying in Warnemunde and Rostock.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

Ascension Day is indeed a public holiday in Germany. Apart from religious celebrations it is traditional for MEN, not just fathers, to get together and go out into the country or to the beach or a park, their 'supplies' loaded into little hand-carts, and have a women- and kid-free day. The spirit tends to be happy, noisy and a bit boozy.

By law, nearly all shops in Germany are closed on Sundays and public holidays. The exceptions are shops in large rail stations and airports: souvenir and tourist shops; some bakeries. Exemptions are made for holiday towns where shops can choose to open or not and most do open.

This means that most shops in Berlin, Rostock and Schwerin will be closed but in Warnemünde they will be open. Cafes and restaurants everywhere will be open. As regards tourist attractions, museums etc. a general rule of thumb is that if they close on one day per week it will be Monday.

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

it is traditional for MEN, not just fathers, to get together and go out into the country or to the beach or a park, their 'supplies' loaded into little hand-carts, and have a women- and kid-free day. The spirit tends to be happy, noisy and a bit boozy.
Oh good.

Now I have to tell the Boss that she will have to stay on the ship while I spend the day on the beach!

Jim

Hi Anni,

My boyfriend and I will be disembarking from the Regal Princess in Warnemunde on May 25 and flying to our next stop in Edinburgh. We are trying to decide whether to fly out of Berlin or Hamburg, and looking at how long the travel time is to each airport, and how early we can book a flight. Using Google Maps, it looks like there is train service directly to Hamburg airport, but the journey to Berlin airport will be a little longer with bus service for the last part of the trip. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Mary

Hi Anni,

My boyfriend and I will be disembarking from the Regal Princess in Warnemunde on May 25 and flying to our next stop in Edinburgh. We are trying to decide whether to fly out of Berlin or Hamburg, and looking at how long the travel time is to each airport, and how early we can book a flight. Using Google Maps, it looks like there is train service directly to Hamburg airport, but the journey to Berlin airport will be a little longer with bus service for the last part of the trip. Is that correct?

Hi, as you say the travel time to the two airports is pretty much the same. In both cases you would take the s-Bahn to Rostock and the RE to either Hamburg or Berlin main station. In Hamburg you would then take the s-Bahn to the airport and in Berlin the shuttle bus.My choice would be Hamburg.

Anni

Hi Anni,

Hi, as you say the travel time to the two airports is pretty much the same. In both cases you would take the s-Bahn to Rostock and the RE to either Hamburg or Berlin main station. In Hamburg you would then take the s-Bahn to the airport and in Berlin the shuttle bus.My choice would be Hamburg.

Anni

Hi, sorry but I did not finish this reply before posting.

My choice would be Hamburg, partly because it is the easier journey but mainly the cost. A Mecklenburg Lander day ticket would cost 27 euro for two people all the way to the airport, including a stop over in Schwerin or public transport for sightseeing in Hamburg, plus two single tickets for the s-Bahn if you want to leave Warnemuende before 9am. The Lander ticket can be bought in advance on the Internet or from a ticket machine or the station office on the day.

To Berlin the cost would be 27 euro pp. special bought in advance on the Internet or 43 euro pp. on the day, plus the cost of the shuttle bus in Berlin.

Hope this helps with your planning :)

Anni

Hi, my Husband and I are docking in Hamburg on the Regal Princess - April 17th.

The ship will be docking at Steinwerder Cruise Terminal (I think it is going into dry dock). We are trying to find local car service that we can arrange ahead of time to take us to the Hauptbahnhof (Main Train Station) in Hamburg.

Do you have any recommendations??

Thank you,:)

Hi, my Husband and I are docking in Hamburg on the Regal Princess - April 17th.

The ship will be docking at Steinwerder Cruise Terminal (I think it is going into dry dock). We are trying to find local car service that we can arrange ahead of time to take us to the Hauptbahnhof (Main Train Station) in Hamburg.

Do you have any recommendations??

Thank you,:)

Hi, I am sorry but I no longer feel qualified to answer questions about Hamburg since it was pointed out by a resident of that city that it is not part of NE Germany even though it is my shopping city.

He/she suggested that you post on the thread 'JMHamburg and others please help with Hamburg' where your query will be seen by people more knowledgeable than I.

Sorry I can't help. I hope you get a satisfactory answer.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni,

Thank you for answering questions on this board. We are planning to visit Schwerin during our stop at Warnemunde and I've found your information very useful. I wanted to mention that I think your arrival times for the train from Schwerin to Rostock are incorrect, departing Schwerin at 13:47, arriving Rostock at 13:50 - now that's a high speed train 😳

Thanks again for all you do.

Hi Anni,

Thank you for answering questions on this board. We are planning to visit Schwerin during our stop at Warnemunde and I've found your information very useful. I wanted to mention that I think your arrival times for the train from Schwerin to Rostock are incorrect, departing Schwerin at 13:47, arriving Rostock at 13:50 - now that's a high speed train 😳

Thanks again for all you do.

Hi, thank you for your appreciation and for pointing out the error on my web site. :o

I can only apologise if it caused any confusion. There is no excuse for such an error, which I have now corrected. I will have to improve my proof-reading!

Enjoy Schwerin.

Happy cruising :),

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help! We will be on the Regal Princess docking at L 31. We are thinking about taking the train to Rostock in the morning, returning to the ship around noon, having lunch, and then taking the train to Warnemunde. Will an all-day ticket work for this or will we need to buy a ticket for each trip? As I read it, the train ticket can be used for the tram in Rostock. Our travel agent says Princess does not have a shuttle so I assume we can walk to the train station from the dock? Thanks again.

Thanks for all your help! We will be on the Regal Princess docking at L 31. We are thinking about taking the train to Rostock in the morning, returning to the ship around noon, having lunch, and then taking the train to Warnemunde. Will an all-day ticket work for this or will we need to buy a ticket for each trip? As I read it, the train ticket can be used for the tram in Rostock. Our travel agent says Princess does not have a shuttle so I assume we can walk to the train station from the dock? Thanks again.

Here's the transportation info from Travelanni's website. As you will see, you cannot walk to the train station from the L31 dock. You have to take a bus. http://travelanni.webs.com/berthslp31lp41.htm

(Too bad about Princess. We were on HAL and they provided a free ferry to/from L31 to Warnemuende AND a free shuttle bus to/from Rostock. We only had to pay for the S-bahn we took between Warnemuende and Rostock.)

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.

As GradUT says you cannot walk from LP/31 to the train station. It is on the opposite side of the river.

However, what you propose makes a good day out if you go straight from Rostock to Warnemuende as it would take too long to return to the ship for lunch. There are very good restaurants and cafes in both places. The all day Local Transport ticket would cover all your transport by bus, train and tram, for the entire day.

I am surprised that Princess does not provide a shuttle, free or otherwise. It might be worth checking with them direct as they do not often berth at LP/31 and sometimes travel agents are only aware of the normal arrangements in place at the Cruise Centre in Warnemuende.

Hope you find the bus times etc. on the web site useful in your planning.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

• 2 months later...

Anni- coming into Warnemunde on Tuesday, Aug 1 on Celebrity Silhouette. We have driven in Germany before and are comfortable. Is it possible to rent a car near the port and drive around the area? Thanks, Rusty

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anni- coming into Warnemunde on Tuesday, Aug 1 on Celebrity Silhouette. We have driven in Germany before and are comfortable. Is it possible to rent a car near the port and drive around the area? Thanks, Rusty

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, as you are happy driving in Germany, renting a car is definitely the way to go.

At least three car rental companies have facilities at the Warnemünde Cruise Terminal.The web sites are in English

Europcar

https://www.europcar.com/location/germany/rostock-warnemuende/rostock-cruise-terminal-warnemuende

Sixt

https://www.sixt.com/car-rental/germany/rostock/rostock-warnemunde-cruise-ctr

Hertz.

https://www.hertz.co.uk/p/car-hire/germany/rostock/rostock-warnemuende-cruise-terminal

There are probably others on-line.

Just a word of warning if you require an Automatic. Most cars in Germany have manual transmission and the hire companies only have a limited number of Automatics so you may need to book early.

Happy cruising :),

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com