Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

Anni

I leave this tues, and thanks to your info I'm sure our Sunday in NE Germany will be wonderful. WE are planning Warnemunde to Rostock and return. Don't think we will take the time to go to Schwerin. WE want to be sure to get back on time.

Lynette

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for my confusion.

When we get off the cruise ship we have to make our way, either by walking, shuttle provided by the ship or taxi (depending upon where we dock) to the Warnemunde train station and then take that train which runs very frequently to Rostock. Presuming I am correct thus far if we want to go to Schwerin we then change trains in

Rostock for the train that is labeled as going the RE to Hamburg but we get off at the 6th stop which is Schwerin. Am I correct??

Also, the train from Rostock to Schwerin only leaves every 2 hours so we need to get teh 9:07 train or else the next one is not until 11:07. Is that correct?

Presuming we need to get the 9:07 train from Rostock what time do we need to be at the Warnemunde train station to get to Rostock in time??

Thanks

Sorry for my confusion.

When we get off the cruise ship we have to make our way, either by walking, shuttle provided by the ship or taxi (depending upon where we dock) to the Warnemunde train station and then take that train which runs very frequently to Rostock. Presuming I am correct thus far if we want to go to Schwerin we then change trains in

Rostock for the train that is labeled as going the RE to Hamburg but we get off at the 6th stop which is Schwerin. Am I correct??

Also, the train from Rostock to Schwerin only leaves every 2 hours so we need to get teh 9:07 train or else the next one is not until 11:07. Is that correct?

Presuming we need to get the 9:07 train from Rostock what time do we need to be at the Warnemunde train station to get to Rostock in time??

Thanks

Hi, As I remember you are cruising on Legend of the Seas, due in Warnemünde on 6th August, 07:00 to 21:30. Your berth is P8 about 5 mins walk from the railway platforms which is by far the quickest way. This map enlarged gives a good idea, the berth numbers are marked in white.

http://www.rostock-port.de/en/cruise...formation.html

Trains depart for Rostock every 7 or 8mins up to 7:48 and every 15mins thereafter. The 8:33 from Warnemünde would be the very latest train to catch the 9:07 to Schwerin but obviously an earlier departure would give more time to make the change in Rostock.

You are correct, from Rostock the train you require is the RE destination Hamburg, Schwerin is the 6th stop (about 10mins after the 5th stop, Bad Kleinen). These trains depart every 2 hours.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

Anni

HI! Just responding to you after our trip. WE appreciated your detailed information. We were in Warnemunde/Rostock on July 20. Weather was perfect. Train trip was uneventful. Ended up just buying a ticket to Rostock only, cheaper than the Lander ticket, as we decided not to go on to Schwerin. Your directions to the church were so helpful!! There is no way we would have found that church for Mass without your help. We went to the 10:30 family service and the children participated. Must've been something about summer church camp or something--they were cute.

Walked into town, which was pretty much deserted on a Sunday, had lunch on the waterfront and just walked around,trying to follow the map in the booklet I'd purchased so we could get a little more information about what we were seeing. It was helpful.

Anyway, got back to Warnemunde to bump elbows with the rest of the cruisers there--there were plenty of them, and returned to the ship in time for dinner.

Thank you again, so much for the valuable information.

We had lunch with Kel and Joyce the day after they boarded, on our sea day, and found out they had a nice visit with you. Would have enjoyed getting together with you as well, but understand you cannot be everywhere!

Keep up the posting--very valuable information!!

Lynette

Anni

HI! Just responding to you after our trip. WE appreciated your detailed information. We were in Warnemunde/Rostock on July 20. Weather was perfect. Train trip was uneventful. Ended up just buying a ticket to Rostock only, cheaper than the Lander ticket, as we decided not to go on to Schwerin. Your directions to the church were so helpful!! There is no way we would have found that church for Mass without your help. We went to the 10:30 family service and the children participated. Must've been something about summer church camp or something--they were cute.

Walked into town, which was pretty much deserted on a Sunday, had lunch on the waterfront and just walked around,trying to follow the map in the booklet I'd purchased so we could get a little more information about what we were seeing. It was helpful.

Anyway, got back to Warnemunde to bump elbows with the rest of the cruisers there--there were plenty of them, and returned to the ship in time for dinner.

Thank you again, so much for the valuable information.

We had lunch with Kel and Joyce the day after they boarded, on our sea day, and found out they had a nice visit with you. Would have enjoyed getting together with you as well, but understand you cannot be everywhere!

Keep up the posting--very valuable information!!

Lynette

Hi Lynette.

Thanks for your appreciation and feedback. It is lovely to hear that my info contributed to your enjoyment of Rostock. The services when the children participate were always my favourites.

Happy that you met Kel and Joyce, I really enjoyed my time with them and am pleased to hear they enjoyed their time too.

I am always happy to meet those with whom I have corresponded if I happen to be in Rostock on the day of their visit.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Hi Anni,

I hope you are doing well. We are traveling to Warmenude with our 3 year old son, who loves trains but has limited patience for waiting. Is this: http://www.rebus.de/download/regional2/119-Bad_Doberan-Elmenhorst-Luetten_Klein-Warnemuende.pdf the current schedule of the bus route from Warmenude to Bad Doberan? Thanks so much!

Hi Anni,

I hope you are doing well. We are traveling to Warmenude with our 3 year old son, who loves trains but has limited patience for waiting. Is this: http://www.rebus.de/download/regional2/119-Bad_Doberan-Elmenhorst-Luetten_Klein-Warnemuende.pdf the current schedule of the bus route from Warmenude to Bad Doberan? Thanks so much!

Hi, yes this is the current schedule for bus #119 between Warnemünde Werft and Bad Doberan Bahnhof where you can see the Molli which is what I assume your son wants to see. You will find more details on my web site.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks - your page is very helpful! My son would also like to see a beach - would you recommend Khulungsborn or a different beach in Germany? So far, we are just planning on taking the Mollie train so we would have a lot of time, although we need something that doesn't require a lot of walking. Also, do we need to purchase tickets in advance for the Mollie train? Where can we do that if it is necessary?

Thanks so much!

Edited by kitkat343

Hi, thank you for your appreciation. To answer your last question first - you can buy tickets for the Molli in advance, although you cannot book a seat, but the web site to do this is in German and it is not necessary as the ticket office is right alongside the train and there is plenty of time. In any case, I doubt they would leave while there are still customers in the ticket office!

Kühlungsborn has a nice beach about 10-15 mins walk from the end station of the Mollibahn.

As your son loves trains it might be better to go to Bad Doberan on the train rather than the bus. From the ship the walk to the bus stop is further than to the railway station, the travel time is about the same and the bus journey is a bit boring for a child but the Rostock Hbf is a very busy station with a good assortment of different trains coming and going all the time.

For a shorter, less strenuous day, Warnemünde itself has a fabulous beach for littlies- clean,golden sand; shallow, calm water; easy access; a children's playground and a cafe right on the beach. 'Warnemünde images' in your search engine finds some nice pictures. It is about a 10-15 min walk from the ship, along the harbour front with plenty of boats to hold your little boy's attention. Or he might like to ride on the Baderbahn - a small 'train' (the locomotive is a mini-tractor in disguise!) which runs through the streets and along the promenade. There is a stop at the town end of the bridge.

If you decide to take the longer day out, given your son's age and love of trains I would be inclined to go to Bad Doberan on the train and ride the Molli just to Heiligendam (about half-way), the trains cross here and make a short stop so you can change trains and make a shorter trip as well as seeing both trains standing together; on the return journey get off in the middle of Bad Doberan and wait for the Molli to come back through, about 20mins and there are some nice coffee shops right on the street. To experience the train steaming down the middle of the main street - bell ringing and close enough to touch - is even more exciting than riding on it. To return to Warnemünde either catch the bus #119 from the stop in the main street or walk back to the rail station in time to see the next Molli steam in, take the train back and then visit the harbour and the beach. That way you finish the day only 10 mins or so from the ship and can go back any time. If this itinerary interests you I would be happy to give you the exact timings

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
Spelling

Hi Anni,

We'd welcome your advice on a group tour which covers the highlights of Mecklenburg, including Schwerin. We're in Warnemunde on Celebrity Eclipse Tuesday, Aug. 19 from 0930 until midnight.

We were originally signed up for a group tour with Alla Tours, but they've backed out of the tour just yesterday. Friends of Dave "Mega Mecklenburg" is sold out, so we're now looking at SBP and potentially others.

We'd welcome your thoughts and recommendations!

Many thanks,

Doug and Randa

Hi Anni, We will be in Berlin for 5 full days before leaving on our cruise out of Warnemunde the end of this month. We are going to ride the hop-on, hop-off bus for the first two days and plan to go to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp on the third day. We have a half day walking tour of the Third Reich Sites on the fourth day. What would you suggest for the afternoon of the 4th day and the whole 5th day? We are staying at the Adina Apartment Hotel near the Hackescher Markt train station.

Hi Anni, We will be in Berlin for 5 full days before leaving on our cruise out of Warnemunde the end of this month. We are going to ride the hop-on, hop-off bus for the first two days and plan to go to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp on the third day. We have a half day walking tour of the Third Reich Sites on the fourth day. What would you suggest for the afternoon of the 4th day and the whole 5th day? We are staying at the Adina Apartment Hotel near the Hackescher Markt train station.

Hi, you seem to have covered it pretty well and it is difficult to advise without knowing your interests but I would suggest a visit to Potsdam taking the s-bahn one way and returning by lake steamer. The boats go as far as Wannsee where you can catch the s-bahn back to the city. In Potsdam the centre itself is interesting but the main attractions are the many palaces including Sans Soucci and the New Palace. All the palaces are accessible by public transport and there are also a number of different tours on offer.

www.potsdam-tourism.com

A very pleasant evening trip is a cruise on the river Spree which gives an entirely different perspective on the city especially after dark. For both lake and river cruises see

www.sternundkreis.de/en/SundK/Home/K256.htm

There are museums for every interest and some very good temporary exhibitions

http://www.berlin.de/en/museums/

I'm sure that during your HO-HO rides and your walking tour you will see places that you will want to revisit and hear of other things which interest you.

Enjoy Berlin, I always do.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarsawExpat viewpost.gif

Hi Anni,

We'd welcome your advice on a group tour which covers the highlights of Mecklenburg, including Schwerin. We're in Warnemunde on Celebrity Eclipse Tuesday, Aug. 19 from 0930 until midnight.

We were originally signed up for a group tour with Alla Tours, but they've backed out of the tour just yesterday. Friends of Dave "Mega Mecklenburg" is sold out, so we're now looking at SBP and potentially others.

We'd welcome your thoughts and recommendations!

Many thanks,

Doug and Randa

Hi, I'm sorry but as a local I cannot recommend or comment on Tour Companies. Hopefully another cruiser will answer this question.

However, the most popular places to visit from Warnemünde are very easy to DIY as many who have done so will tell you. Information for the DIY visitor can be found on my web site.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni,

Your information has been so helpful in our planning so far. Please bear with me as I still have a few questions I hope you can answer:)

We will be on the NCL Star September 14th arriving to Warnemunde on a Sunday. Will the following plan work for us getting to Schwerin and back? I have copied and pasted some information from your helpful website.

Here are my plans so far:

**Warnemunde to Schwerin:

*September 14, 2014 Sunday

*Purchase 2 adult Landertickets online before trip

1. Purchase Rostock tickets at Warnemunde Train Station

then

2. Either Take the s-bahn from Warnemunde at 8:03 platform 2 and arrive at Rostock at 8:24 platform 1

or

Take the s-bahn from Warnemunde at 8:33 platform 4 and arrive at Rostock at 8:54 platform 6

3. Jump over to platform 7 and take the RE (4306) to Hamburg, via Schwerin at 9:07 using the Lander tickets

4. Leave the train at Schwerin Hbf - 6th stop on the route.

Exit the train station by the main entrance, cross the square to the small street in the far right hand corner, go left down to the lake, turn right and follow the waterfront past the cafe(about 200m) until you come to the pedestrian street on the right. You are now in the tourist area and from here all the attractions are clearly signposted.

Walking time direct to the castle about 20mins

5. Take the RE (4311) to Rostock Hbf at 13:53 platform 2 and arrive at Rostock at 14:52 platform 7

or

Take the RE (4313) to Rostock Hbf at 15:53 platform 2 and arrive at Rostock at 16:51 platform 7

6. Take the s-bahn back to Warnemunde using any of the trains that leave frequently.

Questions:

Is the s-bahn ticket good for both legs of the trip?

How far of a walk is it from the ship to the Warnemunde train station? I guess we need to allow enough time to purchase the tickets from the machine. Or should we purchase them from the ticket window?

Do we need cash for these tickets or do they take credit cards?

A big hug to you for all of your help:D

Hi Anni,

Your information has been so helpful in our planning so far. Please bear with me as I still have a few questions I hope you can answer:)

We will be on the NCL Star September 14th arriving to Warnemunde on a Sunday. Will the following plan work for us getting to Schwerin and back? I have copied and pasted some information from your helpful website.

Here are my plans so far:

**Warnemunde to Schwerin:

*September 14, 2014 Sunday

*Purchase 2 adult Landertickets online before trip

1. Purchase Rostock tickets at Warnemunde Train Station

then

2. Either Take the s-bahn from Warnemunde at 8:03 platform 2 and arrive at Rostock at 8:24 platform 1

or

Take the s-bahn from Warnemunde at 8:33 platform 4 and arrive at Rostock at 8:54 platform 6

3. Jump over to platform 7 and take the RE (4306) to Hamburg, via Schwerin at 9:07 using the Lander tickets

4. Leave the train at Schwerin Hbf - 6th stop on the route.

Exit the train station by the main entrance, cross the square to the small street in the far right hand corner, go left down to the lake, turn right and follow the waterfront past the cafe(about 200m) until you come to the pedestrian street on the right. You are now in the tourist area and from here all the attractions are clearly signposted.

Walking time direct to the castle about 20mins

5. Take the RE (4311) to Rostock Hbf at 13:53 platform 2 and arrive at Rostock at 14:52 platform 7

or

Take the RE (4313) to Rostock Hbf at 15:53 platform 2 and arrive at Rostock at 16:51 platform 7

6. Take the s-bahn back to Warnemunde using any of the trains that leave frequently.

Questions:

Is the s-bahn ticket good for both legs of the trip?

How far of a walk is it from the ship to the Warnemunde train station? I guess we need to allow enough time to purchase the tickets from the machine. Or should we purchase them from the ticket window?

Do we need cash for these tickets or do they take credit cards?

A big hug to you for all of your help:D

Hi, many thanks for your appreciation and the hug! You have a good plan.

Your on-line ticket purchase will be one Lander Ticket valid for two people travelling together - 26 euros.

As you are travelling on a Sunday you do not need the extra tickets for the s-bahn. Your Lander ticket will cover the whole journey from Warnemünde to Schwerin and return. Extra tickets for the s-bahn are only required on weekdays before 9am.

The walk from the ship to the station takes about 10mins.

Have a wonderful day.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
Extra information

Hi, you seem to have covered it pretty well and it is difficult to advise without knowing your interests but I would suggest a visit to Potsdam taking the s-bahn one way and returning by lake steamer. The boats go as far as Wannsee where you can catch the s-bahn back to the city. In Potsdam the centre itself is interesting but the main attractions are the many palaces including Sans Soucci and the New Palace. All the palaces are accessible by public transport and there are also a number of different tours on offer.

www.potsdam-tourism.com

A very pleasant evening trip is a cruise on the river Spree which gives an entirely different perspective on the city especially after dark. For both lake and river cruises see

www.sternundkreis.de/en/SundK/Home/K256.htm

There are museums for every interest and some very good temporary exhibitions

http://www.berlin.de/en/museums/

I'm sure that during your HO-HO rides and your walking tour you will see places that you will want to revisit and hear of other things which interest you.

Enjoy Berlin, I always do.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you so much, Anni, for your ideas for our extra day in Berlin. Potsdam sounds like a fun day activity. Could you give me a few more details about getting there and back. Do we catch the s-bahn at the Hackescher train station? Then, if we go to Sans Souci, how far of a walk is it to the lake steamer? I looked on their website and it looks like it leaves every hour and is a two hour ride. Where is Wannsee? Once in Wannsee where do we catch the s-bahn to get back to our hotel?

I must admit I'm confused because all of the Berlin area is new to me and the web sites are in German. LOL.

Hi, many thanks for your appreciation and the hug! You have a good plan.

Your on-line ticket purchase will be one Lander Ticket valid for two people travelling together - 26 euros.

As you are travelling on a Sunday you do not need the extra tickets for the s-bahn. Your Lander ticket will cover the whole journey from Warnemünde to Schwerin and return. Extra tickets for the s-bahn are only required on weekdays before 9am.

The walk from the ship to the station takes about 10mins.

Have a wonderful day.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Wow...you just put a big smile on my face...it is unusual to SAVE money on an excursion:p

Not having to purchase the s-bahn tickets will save us time too!

I will follow your directions on your website and purchase the Lander ticket @26 euros for 2 before we leave.

I am so excited...thank you again!

Hi Travelanni,

I hope you are doing well. When you get a chance, could you please provide me with more detailed instructions of how you would recommend my family visit the Molli train. I think my son would really like getting out and seeing the train go through the town as you suggested. We'd be happy to visit the beach in Warmenude if that's the one you think is best. For the way back from Bad Doberan, would it be difficult for us to take the train from Bad Doberan to Rostock and then take the ferry from Rostock to Warmenude? I'd skip the ferry if it is too hard logistically. Thanks so much! It is so kind of you to help all of the people visiting.

Hi Travelanni,

I hope you are doing well. When you get a chance, could you please provide me with more detailed instructions of how you would recommend my family visit the Molli train. I think my son would really like getting out and seeing the train go through the town as you suggested. We'd be happy to visit the beach in Warmenude if that's the one you think is best. For the way back from Bad Doberan, would it be difficult for us to take the train from Bad Doberan to Rostock and then take the ferry from Rostock to Warmenude? I'd skip the ferry if it is too hard logistically. Thanks so much! It is so kind of you to help all of the people visiting.

If you want to drop me an e mail, I've got a 'how to do it' sheet for the Molli etc. Anni has checked it through and I don't think there are (m)any mistakes!:D

Simon

Thank you so much, Anni, for your ideas for our extra day in Berlin. Potsdam sounds like a fun day activity. Could you give me a few more details about getting there and back. Do we catch the s-bahn at the Hackescher train station? Then, if we go to Sans Souci, how far of a walk is it to the lake steamer? I looked on their website and it looks like it leaves every hour and is a two hour ride. Where is Wannsee? Once in Wannsee where do we catch the s-bahn to get back to our hotel?

I must admit I'm confused because all of the Berlin area is new to me and the web sites are in German. LOL.

Hi, I thought that I gave you web sites in English but they come up in German you will find they all have English pages accessed by hitting the GB flag at the top.

Wannsee is a lakeside suburb on the way to Potsdam.

To get to Potsdam take the S7 from Hackescher Markt to Wannsee and there change to the S1. Wannsee is quite a small station and easy to navigate. The trains are frequent, about every 10 mins.

After the boat trip, walk up from the pier to the main road. The station is across the road to the left. To return to your hotel you simply take the S7 all the way back to Hackescher Markt.

The lake steamers depart from the town, too far to walk from Sans Soucci. To get to Sans Soucci itself and the whole complex of gardens and palaces surrounding you take bus #695 from outside the main station.

As Potsdam is part of the Berlin Public Transport system a DayTicket- Zones ABC, cost 7.20€, is valid for the whole day on all the s-bahns and buses you would need to use.

The Information Office in Potsdam station is worth a visit, it provides excellent information and good, free maps.

Anni

Hi Travelanni,

Hi, If you decide to go to Bad Doberan by bus then Simon's plan is a very good one.

I believe that you are arriving on Norwegian Star on 26th August, docking 7:30. If this is so then my itinerary by train would be as follows:-

8:24 - s-bahn - Warnemünde to Rostock

9:06 - RE - Rostock to Bad Doberan Bahnhof arr. 9:25

9:36 - Molli - Bad Doberan Bf. to Heiligendam arr. 9:54

9:59 - Molli - Heiligendam to Bad Doberan Stadtmitte arr. 10:14

Find a table in one of the pavement cafes with a good view up towards the station. They all serve good coffee and ice cream! The next Molli will leave the Bahnhof at at 10:36 stopping at Stadtmitte at around 10:40. After the excitement has died down (and I am sure that your little boy will be excited at how close the train comes) walk slowly back to the Bahnhof. A good place to see the next arriving Molli at 11:18 is from the right-hand side of the road just before the station.

11:30 - RE - Bad Doberan to Rostock arr 11.51. NB.The Rostock train departs from alongside the station buildings.

This whole schedule can be advanced by one hour if a 9:24 start is better.

This is what I would do with a small child as you are on the move all the time, albeit with very little walking, with plenty of things to hold his attention and on return to Warnemünde there is the option of going straight to the beach or back to the ship for a rest and visiting the beach later.

Hope this helps with your planning. I know from experience how much is needed with small children to make full day excursions enjoyable for everyone.

Anni :)

Thank you so much for all of your invaluable assistance; I'm sure my son will love this tour! I'll post back after our cruise.

sorry - last question - how long is the walk from rostock station to the ferry to Warmeneude?

Edited by kitkat343

Thank you so much for all of your invaluable assistance; I'm sure my son will love this tour! I'll post back after our cruise.

sorry - last question - how long is the walk from rostock station to the ferry to Warmeneude?

Hi, thanks for your appreciation. To help people enjoy is my pleasure.

Firstly the boat between Rostock and Warnemünde is not a ferry, it is a privately operated tourist pleasure boat. Most passengers are German tourists holidaying in Warnemünde and taking the full 90min cruise.

The boats leave at 13:15, 13:45, 14:15 and 15:15 from the Old Harbour in the city, quite a distance from Rostock station, about 30mins walk. You can take a #5 or #6 tram from the Hbf to Langestrasse and then walk down Schnickmannstrasse to the harbour. The boat trip takes about 45mins, commentary is in German only, cost 10€ pp.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

Hi Anni,

Thank you for posting all these info. It's quite helpful for us planning this trip.

JVSNANA summarized my traveling plan from Warnemunde to Schwerin (post# 164) and stop by Rostock.

We are coming from Royal Princess arriving Warnemunde on Aug 22nd (Friday) 7am - 9pm.

You've already answered some of my questions in your reply back to JVSNANA. Here are my remaining questions:

1. As you stated the extra ticket for the S-Bahn is required for weekdays before 9am. From you website should we get the Single ticket 1,90 € since the returning trip is covered by the Lander Ticket?

2. Should we purchase the Lander Ticket online instead of buying the ticket at the machine in the station?

3. If we were buying the tickets online, do we need to specify the RE train# (eg. 4311 or 4313) or the ticket is simply good for any schedule for that day?

Once again thanks for your info.

Edward