Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

Hi again Anni,

We just purchased our tickets online and it was as easy as pie! We were able to pay using PayPal which made the transaction even easier.

Thank you again for all of your valuable information :)

Hi, for some reason your post will not appear as a quote!

Thank you for your appreciation. I will try to answer in order.

1. Correct - you only need the single tickets to Rostock for the journey before 9am (one ticket per person @ 1.90 each, remember to validate them on the platform). The return is covered by the Lander ticket. Just one point, should you decide to have a look at Rostock on the way back you will need to buy tickets on the tram, the Lander Ticket is only valid on the trains, not the trams or buses.

2.You can purchase easily on-line (see details on my web site), more easily than the ticket machine actually and you don't have a queue of people breathing down your neck while you figure the machine out! It also saves a lot of time although you still have to buy the single tickets from the machine but that is much simpler.

3. You do not need to specify a train, just the number of persons and date required . The ticket is good for any train (after 9am weekdays, after 3am weekends) all day.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi, for some reason your post will not appear as a quote!

Thank you for your appreciation. I will try to answer in order.

1. Correct - you only need the single tickets to Rostock for the journey before 9am (one ticket per person @ 1.90 each, remember to validate them on the platform). The return is covered by the Lander ticket. Just one point, should you decide to have a look at Rostock on the way back you will need to buy tickets on the tram, the Lander Ticket is only valid on the trains, not the trams or buses.

2.You can purchase easily on-line (see details on my web site), more easily than the ticket machine actually and you don't have a queue of people breathing down your neck while you figure the machine out! It also saves a lot of time although you still have to buy the single tickets from the machine but that is much simpler.

3. You do not need to specify a train, just the number of persons and date required . The ticket is good for any train (after 9am weekdays, after 3am weekends) all day.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni,

Thank you for your info. I will buy the Lander Ticket online then. I 've some more follow up questions.

1. From your info from #1 I need to buy a ticket for the tram if I want to stop over and visit Rostock. It sounds like the tram connects the train station to the city stops. I need the tram to go around the Rostock city and also taking me back to the train station. Is that right? Also how much is the tram ticket? Do I buy the ticket on the tram and not thru any machine in the station?

2. For visiting Rostock when I come back Schwerin to Rostock do I get off at the Rostock Hauptbahnhof or do I get off any other train stop?

Once again thanks for all your help.

Edward

Hi Travelanni

On our cruise in September...MSC Magnifica...Hamburg is one of our Ports Of Call. Can you please tell me at which terminal she will be docked. Also from whichever terminal we are what are the best places to see around the immediate area....we don't want to travel too far away so would prefer to do it by foot or possibly a short bus journey.

Thank you

Hi Travelanni

On our cruise in September...MSC Magnifica...Hamburg is one of our Ports Of Call. Can you please tell me at which terminal she will be docked. Also from whichever terminal we are what are the best places to see around the immediate area....we don't want to travel too far away so would prefer to do it by foot or possibly a short bus journey.

Thank you

Hi, your ship will dock at the Altona Cruise Terminal. The tourist waterfront of Landungsbrücken can be easily reached on foot along the river-front, by bus from the main road one street back from the terminal or by ferry from the pier next to the terminal. (The bows of the cruise ship actually overhang the pier!)

If you walk, on the way there are some very nice restaurants, good examples of warehouse to apartment conversions, the submarine U34 which is open to the public and the old Fish Market building, now a bustling market selling everything.

At the Landungsbrücken you will find restaurants, cafes, souvenir shops etc. and an elevated promenade giving great views of the busy river traffic and the docks on the other side. Also there is the entrance to the Old Elbe Tunnel where the vehicles go down into the tunnel on a lift and two large museum ships which are open to the public (a sailing clipper and the last true passenger/cargo liner on the Hamburg-S.America route) A little further on is the Speicherstadt, canals lined with warehouses - some still in use and others converted to various purposes. Here is the Miniature Wonderland Model Railway and the Hamburg Dungeon. For more details on all these attractions see

http://www.hamburg-travel.com/attractions/

My recommendation would be to walk from the ship along the waterfront and return by ferry either from the Speicherstadt or Landungsbrücken.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

Anni,

Thank you for your info. I will buy the Lander Ticket online then. I 've some more follow up questions.

1. From your info from #1 I need to buy a ticket for the tram if I want to stop over and visit Rostock. It sounds like the tram connects the train station to the city stops. I need the tram to go around the Rostock city and also taking me back to the train station. Is that right? Also how much is the tram ticket? Do I buy the ticket on the tram and not thru any machine in the station?

2. For visiting Rostock when I come back Schwerin to Rostock do I get off at the Rostock Hauptbahnhof or do I get off any other train stop?

Once again thanks for all your help.

Edward

Hi, To stop over in Rostock after visiting Schwerin you get off the train at Rostock Hauptbahnhof and take a tram into the city centre. The tram platforms are under the station - from platform A (marked City) take a #5 or #6 to any of the three stops, Neuer Markt, Langestrasse and Kröpeliner Tor. I, personally, think it is a good idea to go to the last of the three, Kröpeliner Tor, walk up the steps beside the hotel into the pedestrian area and from there walk right through the city back to the Neuer Markt. Especially if you do not have much time as that way you see one part of the city from the tram and the rest while walking through the pedestrian only streets and squares without back-tracking.

The cost of the tickets - 1.90€pp. each way between the Hbf and any of the three stops in the centre. There are machines on the platforms and in the trams.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

Many thanks Travelanni...just the information that I wanted and sounds very interesting especially the museum ships and submarine. Approximately how far is the walk from the cruise ship to Speicherstadt?

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.

The total walking distance is around 3klms. I would like to add a bit more information on getting around Hamburg.

A Hamburg 9-Uhr Day Ticket from the machine on the ferry pier (or at the bus stop) costs 5.90€ per person or 10.80€ for a group of up to 5 persons travelling together and is valid on all the ferries, buses and trains in the city after 9am.

The ferries are part of the public transport system and run at 10min intervals throughout the day. They are clean, fast and efficient. Between the cruise terminal and Speicherstadt there are two other stops, Altona which is next to U34 and Landungsbrucken so the ferry could be used as a sort of hop-on hop-off.

The ferries run a continuous circle so on the return journey, if you have time, a good way to experience the port and the big ships is to stay on the ferry from Speicherstadt down the river to Finkenwerder, which is next to the Airbus factory, and get off at Dockland (the cruise terminal) on the return trip upriver.

Hamburg is a great place, especially if you are interested in ships.

Anni

We are considering a July 2015 cruise that departs from Warnemunde. We are also looking at a pre cruise tour that ends in Frankfurt on the day before the cruise departs. The plan would be to travel by train that day from Frankfurt to Warnemunde. What are some convenient hotel options for a one night stay in Warnemunde?

Anni,

Thanks for the info on the 9-Uhr ticket. Is this ticket for the HADAG ferries or the Maritime-Circle Line, or a different one?

I see on the Fahrplan for Maritine-Circle Line that we can take the ferry to Wunderland. This is the Miniatur Wunderland, right?

We'll be docking somewhere at HafenCity and already have our tickets to M.W. Or is it just as fast to walk there.

Vielen Dank.

We are considering a July 2015 cruise that departs from Warnemunde. We are also looking at a pre cruise tour that ends in Frankfurt on the day before the cruise departs. The plan would be to travel by train that day from Frankfurt to Warnemunde. What are some convenient hotel options for a one night stay in Warnemunde?

There is a pension listed on Trip Advisor that seemed pretty reasonable. Just google Hotels Warnemunde, the rates are all over the board. Kur hotel is a spa hotel so prices will be higher. Looks like a bunch basically right along the beach, there is a hotel that was built for the Elite party members when it was a communist country its right at the end of the beach area, that might be a fun place to stay!

Anni,

Thanks for the info on the 9-Uhr ticket. Is this ticket for the HADAG ferries or the Maritime-Circle Line, or a different one?

I see on the Fahrplan for Maritine-Circle Line that we can take the ferry to Wunderland. This is the Miniatur Wunderland, right?

We'll be docking somewhere at HafenCity and already have our tickets to M.W. Or is it just as fast to walk there.

Vielen Dank.

The information refers to the HADAG ferries which are part of the public transit system in Hamburg. The tickets are valid on all ferries, trains and buses in Hamburg from 9am.

Maritime Circle Line is a tour boat company with various pick-up points along the river. The stop Speicherstadt-Wunderland is the same as the HADAG stop Speicherstadt. This is, in fact, the nearest ferry stop to the Hafen City Cruise Centre, no help when visiting the Miniature Wonderland.

Miniature Wonderland is a 10-15 min walk from the Hafen City Cruise Terminal through the very interesting new Hafen City area and the old Speicherstadt.

After visiting the MW, it is a 5 min walk to the nearest ferry pier for the boat, or a 20 min walk along the Elbe Promenade, to Landüngsbrucken or 5 min walk to the U-bahn station 'Baum Wall' for a train into the city centre.

The Google map of Hamburg shows both the Cruise Terminal and the MW and gives a good idea of the distance.

Anni

Hi, sound advice from Sauer-Kraut to Google 'Hotels in Warnemünde'. This is a very popular holiday destination for people from all over Germany so offers every kind of accommodation from single bedroom B&Bs to the resort-style Höhe Dune Residenze.

The hotel at the end of the beach mentioned by Sauer-Kraut is the Neptun and was the last word in luxury when built for the 'elite' of the GDR although the locals never wanted it as the height (15+ floors) and architectural style are totally out of keeping with the rest of the town. Every room has a sea view and the hotel is now a top class Spa Hotel offering various health therapies as well as saunas, spas, swimming pool, gym etc which are open to the public.

Just a word of advice - Warnemünde is one of the top holiday destinations in Northern Germany and the month of July is the main holiday season. Many places are booked from year to year so if you decide to stay there you will have to book early.

Anni

Anni, you are a wealth of information. Thank you for helping us all.

I just looked at your website and it is very well done. I'm thinking we'll have time to go to Ludwigslust, and your description of the area is enticing.

Anni, you are a wealth of information. Thank you for helping us all.

I just looked at your website and it is very well done. I'm thinking we'll have time to go to Ludwigslust, and your description of the area is enticing.

Hooray - someone interested in Ludwigslust!

It is a beautiful and interesting place, I love living here.

You do not say when you will be in Germany but if you do want to come to Ludwigslust and I am at home it would be my pleasure to meet you in Schwerin and show you around both places if you wish. Otherwise it is very easy to DIY.

Hope to see you here, you can contact me on anniellis13@gmail.com if you prefer.

Anni

Hi, sound advice from Sauer-Kraut to Google 'Hotels in Warnemünde'. This is a very popular holiday destination for people from all over Germany so offers every kind of accommodation from single bedroom B&Bs to the resort-style Höhe Dune Residenze.

The hotel at the end of the beach mentioned by Sauer-Kraut is the Neptun and was the last word in luxury when built for the 'elite' of the GDR although the locals never wanted it as the height (15+ floors) and architectural style are totally out of keeping with the rest of the town. Every room has a sea view and the hotel is now a top class Spa Hotel offering various health therapies as well as saunas, spas, swimming pool, gym etc which are open to the public.

Just a word of advice - Warnemünde is one of the top holiday destinations in Northern Germany and the month of July is the main holiday season. Many places are booked from year to year so if you decide to stay there you will have to book early.

Anni

Thanks Sauer-Kraut and Anni for the info. I had noticed some of the hotels were already booked 11 months out, but there are plenty of other to choose from.

Is traveling to Warnemünde from Frankfurt the day before the cruise a good option, or do you have any better ideas? The land tour ends in Frankfurt the morning before the cruise departs. Sailing is at 21:00 so I would want to be there no later than 18:00 and preferably earlier. The land tour begins and ends in Frankfurt, but does not include any real time there. It does include two days in Berlin plus some time in Düsseldorf and Köln.

For some reason your question will not show up as a quote!

It really depends on whether you want to see a little of Frankfurt, stay overnight and travel direct to the ship or travel first and see something of Warnemünde the next day. At this time of year it would probably be easier to get accommodation for just one night in Frankfurt, many places in Warnemünde do not take short stay bookings at the height of the season.

The 2015 DB timetables will not be available until November but in July 2014 you could depart Frankfurt Hbf on a Sunday at 8.52 direct to Rostock Hbf arriving 15:32. This was with an Inter City train and the special fares were as low as 49 euro for two persons travelling together when purchased three months in advance on line.

Happy planning :)

Anni

It really depends on whether you want to see a little of Frankfurt, stay overnight and travel direct to the ship or travel first and see something of Warnemünde the next day. At this time of year it would probably be easier to get accommodation for just one night in Frankfurt, many places in Warnemünde do not take short stay bookings at the height of the season.

The 2015 DB timetables will not be available until November but in July 2014 you could depart Frankfurt Hbf on a Sunday at 8.52 direct to Rostock Hbf arriving 15:32. This was with an Inter City train and the special fares were as low as 49 euro for two persons travelling together when purchased three months in advance on line.

Happy planning :)

Anni

Thanks for your great information. We are still trying to piece together a very long trip, but you have helped a lot with this piece. Hopefully it will all come together!

So sorry to bother you again, but Der Butt is closed Mondays and Fischerklause is listed as closed on tripadvisor so are there any restaurants you could recommend? We will be there for lunch and dinner on a monday.

Hi, no bother. I cannot personally recommend a restaurant but here are some ideas.

Der Butt is closed on Mondays but there is at least one other restaurant in the Höhe Dune complex.

I can't understand why Fischerklause should be listed as closed. It is the height of the season and their website http://www.fischer-klause.de/ says quote:

Öffnungszeiten: täglich ab 11:30 Uhr (November bis Ende März montags Ruhetag)

Open: daily from 11:30 (November to end of March closed Monday)\

The Restaurant Hotel Neptun on the seafront has magnificent views and a very good reputation especially for dinner.

http://www.hotel-neptun.de/en/restaurants.html

For lunch, there are are literally dozens of other restaurants in the town, many of them the same style etc. as the Fischerklause, mostly along the Fish Quay (on the right before the bridge, seating upstairs with great views of the harbour) and the Alter Strom (right after the bridge).

Anni

Edited by Travelanni
Forgot title

hello, Anni,

We will be arriving into Frankfurt on April 28 because a great deal with our frequent flyer miles, then taking a train to Antwerp for two days, then train to Amsterdam for 3 days before our May 3rd cruise.

On return we will spend one more day in Amsterdam, then take train from Amsterdam to Berlin for 4 days, Berlin to Prague for 4 days, Prague to Frankfurt for 1 day before flying home.

So we will be booking 5 train trips. I have noticed on the Bahn.DE website that there are Sale fares that can greatly reduce the fare. I assume it must be booked within a certain time interval before the trip. Do you know how much before a trip is the best timing to get the reduced fares? Is it worthwhile to get reserved seats or is there a possibility of not having a seat?

BTW, My DH is retired Amtrak, so not only am I very comfortable with train transportation, but if you are ever in the USA and have questions about US trains, I would be happy to return the favor.

thanks

kathy

hello, Anni,

We will be arriving into Frankfurt on April 28 because a great deal with our frequent flyer miles, then taking a train to Antwerp for two days, then train to Amsterdam for 3 days before our May 3rd cruise.

On return we will spend one more day in Amsterdam, then take train from Amsterdam to Berlin for 4 days, Berlin to Prague for 4 days, Prague to Frankfurt for 1 day before flying home.

So we will be booking 5 train trips. I have noticed on the Bahn.DE website that there are Sale fares that can greatly reduce the fare. I assume it must be booked within a certain time interval before the trip. Do you know how much before a trip is the best timing to get the reduced fares? Is it worthwhile to get reserved seats or is there a possibility of not having a seat?

BTW, My DH is retired Amtrak, so not only am I very comfortable with train transportation, but if you are ever in the USA and have questions about US trains, I would be happy to return the favor.

thanks

kathy

Hi Kathy, thank you for your offer of help re train travel in USA. Although I have nothing planned at the moment, to travel across the USA by train is definitely on my wish list.

The special fares on Deutsche Bahn are available from 92 days before the date of travel. They are limited in number so it is best to get in early. The exact date from which each fare is available shows up on the timetable about 4 months before the date of travel. The cheapest fares are for a nominated train (date, time, route) but can be changed up to one day before at a small cost if necessary.

Deutsche Bahn offer specials between Germany and main cities in neighbouring countries, eg. Amsterdam and Prague, as well as within Germany. The timetables for 2015 will come out around the middle of November. I do not know which web site you are using but sometimes the overseas sites lag behind the German one a little so I always use the direct English translation of the home site rather than the ones aimed specifically at the USA or GB:-

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Booking a seat costs about 4 euro per section of the route and IMHO on main routes in the busy season it is well worth it. Unlike Italy, you do not have to occupy the booked seat if you find a better one unoccupied but at least you know that you have a seat.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

We are coming to NE Germany on Azamara Quest August 1, 2015. We want to travel from the port in Travemunde to Berlin, stay in a hotel one night and rejoin the cruise the next evening in Wismar. Do you have recommendations on the best way to travel (train, rental car etc). There are 2 of us now but I suspect others on our Roll Call might be interested if we have a good plan.