Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

I wonder if you can help me? I have two short cruises booked on MSC Magnufuca from Hamburg. One is mid September the other is early November. On each occasion we are spending two nights in Hamburg pre cruise, which will give us an evening, a full day and a morning to see around the city. I am going with a different friend on each cruise and do not mind repeating anything myself. I am hoping for fairly good weather mid sept, but expecting cold and Scottish type weather early November :).

My first question is regarding transport. For the first cruise we have booked the Ibis at the airport. I t is cheap and has a free shuttle to and from the airport. Is it easy to get in to the city from there on the train? The second trip we have booked an Ibis not yet built, but opening in November near the main railway station! Again is this easy from the airport? Also I am not sure if hamburg only has one cruise terminal, but is transport to that easy from both locations? We do not mind walking pulling our cases. Would it be better to buy day tickets for transport or just pay as we go?

Secondly, can you give us some ideas of things not to miss. Not too interested in museums r churches, but like to walk around interesting areas, stop for coffee lunch etc. I have coeliac and need to eat gluten free, so that might present some issues, but I will be able to eat plenty on the ship, so no big deal. Do you know if the Christmas markets will be open? We will be there on the 7th and morning if the 8th in November.

Thanks in advance for your help.

We are sailing Rt Copenhagen next July. I just bought our outbound tickets to Copenhagen. In a few days I'll be able to book a return from Berlin. My plan is to go to Munich for a couple days after the cruise and then Berlin a couple days as I have a great interest in history I don't really want to take a 13 hour day to get to Berlin from the port. It looks like from Copenhagen to Munich my only choice for direct flight is after 7 PM on the day of disembarkation or I could spend one more night in Copenhagen and fly to Munich very early the next morning.m yeah other alternative is a flight with a layover in DUS

Does anyone have a private service they could recommend that could fill my day when I get off the ship in Copenhagen dropping me off at the airport for my flight to Munich. I'm also interested in private guides for Munich and Berlin. Lastly concentration camp wise there's one not far from Munich and one not far from Berlin is it overkill to visit both is one better than the other? and my husband wants to know where he can see the beer ladies and Munich lol

Hi Lynette.

Thanks for your appreciation and feedback. It is lovely to hear that my info contributed to your enjoyment of Rostock. The services when the children participate were always my favourites.

Happy that you met Kel and Joyce, I really enjoyed my time with them and am pleased to hear they enjoyed their time too.

I am always happy to meet those with whom I have corresponded if I happen to be in Rostock on the day of their visit.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Hi Anni,

It's high time I publicly acknowledged your tremendous help on our visit to your part of the world. We were five weeks into our journey when we visited Hamburg so your assistance made the exercise so much easier. You cannot beat local knowledge! The surprise was how much you could tell us about the German history in own home town of Brisbane.

We now have wonderful memories and appreciation for your domain.

Stay safe and keep in touch,

Kel and Joyce

• 1 month later...

Hi Anni -

First of all I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post such wonderful and detailed information on Germany. We weren't sure what we wanted to do with our time in Warnemunde, but knew we didn't want to make the trek to Berlin. You have definitely helped us narrow down our choices.

We really want to see the castle in Schwerin, but will be docking on a Monday. I have read the castle is closed on Monday, do you know if we would still be able to walk around the grounds of the castle? I'm sad that we won't be able to go in, but if my girls could get as close as possible to the castle, they would love it.

Thanks!!

Hi Everyone, my apologies for not answering my mail for several weeks. Just arrived back from an extended trip around UK and Europe with a friend from Australia. We had a fantastic time - UK by car and Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Czech Republic and Austria by train. But now back to work!

Earn- sorry this is too late for your first trip to Hamburg but will answer anyhow. The S-bahn runs every 10-15 mins between the airport and Hamburg Hbf (main station), the journey takes about 25 mins.

There are two cruise terminals, Hafen City and Altona. Both can be reached by public transport from the Hbf.

Public tranport is a great way to get around the city and if you intend to take more than 2 journeys per day a day ticket is the way to go. It covers trains, buses and ferries. A round trip on the No.64 ferry is a very good way to see the city and harbour from a different angle. The main stop is one of the must-see places, Landungsbrucken, but there is also a stop right under the bows of the cruise ship berthed at Altona.

Unfortunately your visit in November will be a bit early for the Christmas Markets, most start around 20th.

Mydreamvacation - hope someone else can help with this one as Munich is not a place with which I am familiar, sorry.

Spicy Red - thanks for your public appreciation. I enjoyed our time together very much and look forward to meeting up with you again in December when I am in Brisbane. Will contact you again personally when I have final dates.

Irucci - thank you for your appreciation. At present the castle in Schwerin is indeed closed on Mondays but, due to the ever growing number of visitors, there is talk of it opening 7 days per week in the season. If this happens I will post the info. The Monday closing only applies to the inside of the castle. The restaurant and cafe in the orangery, the gardens and terraces surrounding the castle and the park are always open to the public.

Hope this has answered all the outstanding questions and look forward to more. I will be updating the web site over winter as the information becomes available.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Just wanted to add something to Anni's wonderful information.

We did 6 days precruise in Germany. Day before boarding the cruise ship we stayed in Warnemunde (Sept1-2, 2014). What a beautiful resort town. Our hotel AJA DAS Resort was incredible. Right on the boardwalk over looking the ocean. I have never seen such beautiful Hotel room. Balcony was a glass enclosed room. It really was a suite with livingroom and separate bedroom. Bathroom area had huge tub, shower, two different sink areas. Never expected anything like this.

Walking on the boardwalk, lots of shops, bakeries, Restaurants, and boats set up to sell German fast food. Wish we could have been there for extended time. A lovely area.

Parking garage was free. We had a car rental and easy to turn in car at port.

Along the boardwalk was a supermarket where we bought last minute sundries for our 25 day cruise. Wine was reasonable there and good.

There was a luggage store where we bought additional carry on as we had already started to accumulate purchases before the long trip began.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Travelanni,

My cruise will be coming into Warnemunde. I originally planned on Berlin, but then my wife and I discussed it and just feel it is such alot of time on the bus when you figure in the approx. 6 hours of transfer time. So I believe we are now looking at staying closer and doing something shorter. For one thing, the cruise is already full of many long touring days. I'm considering a tour that focuses on Warnemunde and Rostock. The tour I'm looking at says a must see is the Old Stream canal. Once in Rostock, the tour does quite a few local sights and has an inside visit to St. Marien Church and the astronomical clock. Then there is a harbor cruise back to Warnemunde. The harbor cruise is said to be an hour and will pass the old and new harbor areas of Rostock.

Any suggestions or thoughts? I also looked at the "Friends of Dave" tours - they look good too.

Hi Travelanni,

My cruise will be coming into Warnemunde. I originally planned on Berlin, but then my wife and I discussed it and just feel it is such alot of time on the bus when you figure in the approx. 6 hours of transfer time. So I believe we are now looking at staying closer and doing something shorter. For one thing, the cruise is already full of many long touring days. I'm considering a tour that focuses on Warnemunde and Rostock. The tour I'm looking at says a must see is the Old Stream canal. Once in Rostock, the tour does quite a few local sights and has an inside visit to St. Marien Church and the astronomical clock. Then there is a harbor cruise back to Warnemunde. The harbor cruise is said to be an hour and will pass the old and new harbor areas of Rostock.

Any suggestions or thoughts? I also looked at the "Friends of Dave" tours - they look good too.

Hi, I entirely agree with your thoughts on Berlin. If that city is not a 'must see' for you or if you can visit for a longer time at a later date then the travel time is not worth it.

Regarding the ships tour you mention; I think that the 'Old Stream canal' must refer to the 'Alte Strom' or 'Old Channel' which is the heart of the visitor area, about 5 mins walk from the cruise terminal. It is NOT a canal but the original mouth of the river Warnow which was blocked at the landward end when the new channel, where your ship will dock, was cut. It now serves, on the seaward side of the bridge, as the harbour for the local fishing fleet, pleasure cruisers, yachts and small boats; to the landward side there are hire boats and events such as Dragon Boat racing take place. On the eastern side of the harbour is the fish market where fish is sold directly from the boats and there are a variety of excellent restaurants and cafes. On the western side is the main shopping street also with a variety of cafes etc. leading to the lighthouse, promenade and beach. All this area is pedestrian-only. BTW the picture on the Warnemünde page of the web site is the Alte Strom.

I am sorry but as a local I am not allowed to comment on individual tours but many people have commented on the other tour you mention and all the comments have been very positive indeed.

In July the evenings are long and ships which have Berlin tours generally leave quite late, so my personal recommedation would be to take a private (not ships) day tour including Rostock and possibly Wismar or Schwerin which will return you to the ship in time to spend the evening strolling around Warnemünde at your leisure rather than glimpsing this lovely, very typical little seaside town from a tour.

Happy planning and cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

• 2 weeks later...

Travelanni

My husband and I in our mid 70's will be docking in Amsterdam on the Celebrity Silhouette on June 9th and staying at the Hotel Broumer B&B for 3 nights. The price was right and reviews seems ok and they have elevator. So do you think this is a good choice of Hotel that will allow us easy access to sight seeing in Amsterdam and then getting the transportation to the airport for our return home to Phoenix Arizona? We depart 2 pm on June 12th.

We are both in our mid 70's and this is our 1st and last time to Amsterdam and we want to see as much as possible.

Beings we have 3 days can you give us things to do for each day that will allow us to see as much as possible using public transportation?

Your advice has helped so many it seems I hope you can share with us some suggestions on what to do and not do.

JoAnn jmccurdy1@cox.net

Travelanni

My husband and I in our mid 70's will be docking in Amsterdam on the Celebrity Silhouette on June 9th and staying at the Hotel Broumer B&B for 3 nights. The price was right and reviews seems ok and they have elevator. So do you think this is a good choice of Hotel that will allow us easy access to sight seeing in Amsterdam and then getting the transportation to the airport for our return home to Phoenix Arizona? We depart 2 pm on June 12th.

We are both in our mid 70's and this is our 1st and last time to Amsterdam and we want to see as much as possible.

Beings we have 3 days can you give us things to do for each day that will allow us to see as much as possible using public transportation?

Your advice has helped so many it seems I hope you can share with us some suggestions on what to do and not do.

JoAnn jmccurdy1@cox.net

Hi, I thank you for your appreciation, helping people enjoy NE Germany is what I try to do.

However, I am sorry but I know very little about Amsterdam having only been there once myself, so I cannot help you there.

I suggest that you repeat your post on a new thread with a title something like 'Help with Amsterdam' and I am sure that someone, either a local or a previous visitor, will be able to answer your questions.

Good luck and happy cruising, :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

Travelanni

JoAnn jmccurdy1@cox.net

Hi JoAnn,

Do you mean the Hotel Brouwer B&B on the Singel Canal?

I haven't stayed at the hotel but it is very centrally located. Trams 1, 2, 5, 13 & 17 depart from the tram stop only a few blocks from your hotel (Nieuwezijds Kolk). These trams will take you practically anywhere you want to go in Amsterdam. It is a lovely city and very walkable (or use a combination of walking + tram).

You are quite close to the cruise terminal - about 15 minutes by tram or 10 minutes by taxi. I would recommend a taxi to/from the port due to your luggage.

If you plan on visiting the Anne Frank House, make sure that you purchase your tickets online. The queues are usually quite long.

I have been to Amsterdam many times, most recently last May. Email me if you have any specific questions (my email link is at the bottom of my post).

Edited by dogs4fun

Hi JoAnn,

Do you mean the Hotel Brouwer B&B on the Singel Canal?

I haven't stayed at the hotel but it is very centrally located. Trams 1, 2, 5, 13 & 17 depart from the tram stop only a few blocks from your hotel (Nieuwezijds Kolk). These trams will take you practically anywhere you want to go in Amsterdam. It is a lovely city and very walkable (or use a combination of walking + tram).

You are quite close to the cruise terminal - about 15 minutes by tram or 10 minutes by taxi. I would recommend a taxi to/from the port due to your luggage.

If you plan on visiting the Anne Frank House, make sure that you purchase your tickets online. The queues are usually quite long.

I have been to Amsterdam many times, most recently last May. Email me if you have any specific questions (my email link is at the bottom of my post).

Yes it is hotel Brower, I could not find your email address would you mind emailing me at jmccurdy1@cox.net I do have several questions beings we will be there for 3 days

I am looking at tours that might be reasonable for areas ooutside of Amsterdam that are kind of "must see places"

Also can you suggest places we should visit on our own beings we are centrally located.

I would like to find a tour person like a taxi or van that would be willing to do tour for 2 or maybe 4 people if I can find someone else from our cruise that is also staying a few days after the cruise, sharing the cost means we get to see more.

Any suggestions for reasonable restaurants close to Hotel Brower.

I did find this site but prices are high for 2 or 4 http://www.amsterdamcitytours.com/

JoAnn

• 3 weeks later...

We will end our 28 day cruise on the Regal Princess May 13 in Coppenhagen. As the last 12 days of the cruise will be very port intense plan to catch the train to Lubeck for a 3-4 days stay. Will take a day trip by train to Wismar and Schwein one day and another day enjoy Lubeck.

Will travel to Frankfurt by train to visit relatives before flying home. I'm assuming we will have to take the train from Lubeck to Hamburg and change trains.

Question 1 Is there a direct train from Hamburg to Frankfurt?

Question 2 Is there any other towns you would recommend seeing while in Lubeck?

Question 3 what is the best way to get from the ship to catch the train?

Thank you for all the information you provide.

Susan

We will end our 28 day cruise on the Regal Princess May 13 in Coppenhagen. As the last 12 days of the cruise will be very port intense plan to catch the train to Lubeck for a 3-4 days stay. Will take a day trip by train to Wismar and Schwein one day and another day enjoy Lubeck.

Will travel to Frankfurt by train to visit relatives before flying home. I'm assuming we will have to take the train from Lubeck to Hamburg and change trains.

Question 1 Is there a direct train from Hamburg to Frankfurt?

Question 2 Is there any other towns you would recommend seeing while in Lubeck?

Question 3 what is the best way to get from the ship to catch the train?

Thank you for all the information you provide.

Susan

Hi Susan' date='

Thank you for your appreciation. I can answer questions 1 and 2 but I'm afraid I do not know much about Copenhagen. However, on his thread, 'Wonderful Copenhagen', Danish Viking gives excellent advice and maybe you can find your answer there.

1. You are correct in assuming that you must travel via Hamburg. The ICE service runs direct from Hamburg Hbf to Frankfurt Hbf every hour. The RE from Lübeck at 8mins past every hour connects with these trains, transfer time about 11mins which is plenty in Hamburg, it is a very easy station. The fares are not out yet but the special savings fares will be available on line from 11/2/2015.

2. The only other big towns within reasonable distance by train are Hamburg and Rostock but you could easily spend more than one day exploring Lübeck. The seaside area of Travemünde, virtually a suburb of Lübeck, is worth a half day visit.

Hope this helps your planning.

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com[/size']

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to add something to Anni's wonderful information.

We did 6 days precruise in Germany. Day before boarding the cruise ship we stayed in Warnemunde (Sept1-2, 2014). What a beautiful resort town. Our hotel AJA DAS Resort was incredible. Right on the boardwalk over looking the ocean. I have never seen such beautiful Hotel room. Balcony was a glass enclosed room. It really was a suite with livingroom and separate bedroom. Bathroom area had huge tub, shower, two different sink areas. Never expected anything like this.

Walking on the boardwalk, lots of shops, bakeries, Restaurants, and boats set up to sell German fast food. Wish we could have been there for extended time. A lovely area.

Parking garage was free. We had a car rental and easy to turn in car at port.

Along the boardwalk was a supermarket where we bought last minute sundries for our 25 day cruise. Wine was reasonable there and good.

There was a luggage store where we bought additional carry on as we had already started to accumulate purchases before the long trip began.

Sue (or Anni),

We are in the planning stages of this same cruise for 2015. We are thinking of flying into Berlin 3 days beforehand for some sightseeing then making our way up to Warnemunde, maybe the day before embarkation like you did. What is the best way to get from Berlin to Warnemunde, considering that we will have our luggage? And do you have any recommendations for a hotel in Berlin?

I know I will have lots more questions as we get closer to September so all information is appreciated! TIA, Susan

Hi Travelanni, I had a look at your terrific site and think that we will want to see Warnemunde, Schwerin and Ludwigslust during our port stop next September!

We are there on a Monday, and although I can see many sites are closed, I am hoping that it will be an interesting day without too much travel time between the towns. We would like a relaxed day with time to explore and enjoy meeting the local residents, trying the food and enjoying the scenery.

Do you think Schwerin will not be disappointing even if the castle is closed? Of course it will give us more time to try out the cafes! Combined with Ludwigslust - are these towns small enough to do this without being rushed? The ship is is port until 10 pm. So hopefully there will be time in late afternoon or evening for Warnemunde too. Appreciate any suggestions or thoughts. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

We will be disembarking the Regal Princess next Sep and want to proceed to Berlin and then to Prague. I have posted a request for information on how early Princess may facilitate the disembarkation process and would like to catch the "earliest" trains to Berlin but wondered if you had any advice on this process? At present I'm thinking if we can depart Warnemunde before 9am we'll buy tickets to Rostock and then use 'Quer-Durchs-Land' tickets to Berlin. I had wanted to advance purchase tickets from Berlin to Prague but of course that reduces my options for departure times allowing for delays from the port?

Your website has excellent instructions for schedules/ticket purchase, etc!

Am I misreading the Interconnex website, or is the direct train from Berlin to Warnemunde no longer running? It looks like it ended in December.

We're trying to figure out the best way to get to Warnemunde from Berlin on embarkation day. Since we'll have luggage, we were hoping for a direct train. We're also considering renting a car just for that day in Berlin and driving up ourselves. That way we can do some sightseeing and go to Schwerin.

Has anyone rented a car and can offer some insight? Mainly how easy is it to figure out where you're going?

Hi Anni,

Have only just started reading all the threads but taking an easy way out and hope you can help or point us in the right direction.

Was born in Hamburg and will be returning for the 1st time in 65 years next May (20th May Prinsendan IJmuiden-SPB cruise).

Have 3 places I wish to visit ....

Blankenesse Tabea Hospital (born there 1949 and think my grandfather an architect worked on rebuilding after the war),

54 Bokenkamp, Steenkamp, parents lived there for a while and,

83 Kielers Strasse Altona (lived there with great grandparents), still chasing down the last address where we lived before emigrating to Australia.

They all appear in Google Street view (so still exist) and appear to be approx 15km from the cruise terminal, approx taxi fares seem extremely high so looking for suggested alternatives.

What are the local Train, Tram or Bus systems like and is there a site that details their routes.

Might try to check them out during the cruise (2 days Hamburg) but will return to check out more of the country (undecided whether pre/post cruise).

Thanks, Maureen & Tom

Hi Anni,

I have been following this thread and didn’t see anyone asking for the same information I am looking for, forgive me if the question has been asked. I am staying in Berlin prior to my cruise at a hotel near the train station (Haupthauser hotel) and looking for transfer options between Berlin and Warnemunde where I will board a Princess ship at the end of June. Also, I will disembark 11 days later in Warnemunde and would need to return back to Berlin possibly for an overnight stay (still working on flight reservations). I looked at the train links you provided, but had a hard time searching the site for the time schedule or cost of a ticket. Times would determine whether I needed to stay overnight on my return or not.

Are there other options or is train the most efficient and cost effect way? I am traveling solo so don’t have the pleasure of sharing costs with others for a chartered bus or private taxi.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Other than my flight, the Berlin-Warnemunde-Berlin portion is the only piece not complete.

hiworldtraveler

I have been researching the same transportation issue as you, ie, Berlin to the Port and then Warnemunde to Berlin. I don't think you'll find any mode of transportation more economical nor efficient than trains to/from Warnemunde. Look on http://www.bahn.de for the timetables and costs. There is also an app, DB Navigator for your tablet/phone. I think you'll find that on weekdays your best bet is travel after 9am on a Quer-Durchs-Land ticket which is E44. It will take you 3hrs 10min from the Berlin to Warnemunde with a change in Rostock. On your return you will have a similar connection and price. You can return to Berlin Hbf or, in 3hrs 45 minutes you could get to the airport. Of course you can use the Princess transfer to the airport for $100. Hope this helps.

hiworldtraveler

I have been researching the same transportation issue as you, ie, Berlin to the Port and then Warnemunde to Berlin. I don't think you'll find any mode of transportation more economical nor efficient than trains to/from Warnemunde. Look on www.bahn.de for the timetables and costs. There is also an app, DB Navigator for your tablet/phone. I think you'll find that on weekdays your best bet is travel after 9am on a Quer-Durchs-Land ticket which is E44. It will take you 3hrs 10min from the Berlin to Warnemunde with a change in Rostock. On your return you will have a similar connection and price. You can return to Berlin Hbf or, in 3hrs 45 minutes you could get to the airport. Of course you can use the Princess transfer to the airport for $100. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Bama Boy. I contacted Princess and found out their $99/one way for a transfer expecting it would be high priced, but looking at all options available; besides, it is only to and from the airport, not central Berlin. I haven't had much success finding the time tables on the Internet for the German trains. I am looking at trains departing/returning to Berlin Hbf since my hotel is next door. The hotel was in a convenient location for all the things that I planned. I will check out the site and apps you provided. Thanks again for the information.

hiworldtraveler

I have been researching the same transportation issue as you, ie, Berlin to the Port and then Warnemunde to Berlin. I don't think you'll find any mode of transportation more economical nor efficient than trains to/from Warnemunde. Look on http://www.bahn.de for the timetables and costs. There is also an app, DB Navigator for your tablet/phone. I think you'll find that on weekdays your best bet is travel after 9am on a Quer-Durchs-Land ticket which is E44. It will take you 3hrs 10min from the Berlin to Warnemunde with a change in Rostock. On your return you will have a similar connection and price. You can return to Berlin Hbf or, in 3hrs 45 minutes you could get to the airport. Of course you can use the Princess transfer to the airport for $100. Hope this helps.

Bama Boy, on the Quer-Durchs-Land ticket, on the website you choose a day and time for the ticket, but I thought I read somewhere that it is good for any train any time on that specific day. Do you know if that is true, or do you have to use the exact train (time) you book?