cannot get out of port

jackietex

Are you stuck on the gangway getting off the ship? This happened to me once.....not enough custom officials.....don't know why they cannot get that right......Lordy here come the Galveston haters

I cruised out of Galveston a few years back. Never again! We got stuck in the checkout line for 5 hours, they would not let us out because we had already passed the security check but were stuck before getting on the ship. My blood sugar level was dropping from not eating and it was a miserable day. We finally got to board at 10pm that night.

It is ugly, slow, and prone to fog delays. Winter cruises are usually too cold to enjoy the outside on the first and last day. But, I can drive to port from Dallas and saving hours in an airport/airplane make it an acceptable compromise.

For anyone, flying to port...go to Florida!

The port in Galveston is terrible today. My worst experience here ever. After almost two hours there is still no end in sight.

Why is it taking so long? We cruise out of there next month, it's our 1st RCL cruise & 1st time out of Galveston.

Edited by Jiminy1955

I know there are people who've had problems but I've never had a problem at the Galveston cruise port. I can't imagine what the issue is today. There's no turnaround of passengers since the ship will leave later today for drydock. :confused:

Edited by Ladysilver

I know there are people who've had problems but I've never had a problem at the Galveston cruise port. I can't imagine what the issue is today. There's no turnaround of passengers since the ship will leave later today for drydock. :confused:

I believe this is the first time that they are charging the tax on liquor and cigarettes bought on ship or at the ports. That could be the hold up because they are having to learn the system probably.

I believe this is the first time that they are charging the tax on liquor and cigarettes bought on ship or at the ports. That could be the hold up because they are having to learn the system probably.

Can't wait to here the logistics on this new tax. Are there two declaration forms now? I'm guessing the feds would rather not get involved in a state collecting taxes. It should be interesting.

This could be the winning answer!! :D

I am now officially concerned. I booked this week for a cruise out of Galveston on Navigator in May. We have never cruised from there before. To be safe, what is a good time to schedule a flight home from Houston?

It doesn't make sense to spend lots of money to unwind for a week and then get stressed out for the trip home.

Talk to me CC please.....!:eek:

Edited by maitaiguy

One of our party made 11:55am out of IAH doing self disembark. It was a bit stressful and made easier because we were just doing dropoff. I would go for mid afternoon.

It so depends which airport. Hobby is closer. And your method of transport from ship to airport.

I am now officially concerned. I booked this week for a cruise out of Galveston on Navigator in May. We have never cruised from there before. To be safe, what is a good time to schedule a flight home from Houston?

It doesn't make sense to spend lots of money to unwind for a week and then get stressed out for the trip home.

Talk to me CC please.....!:eek:

Save yourself the stress - plan on staying in HOU overnight post cruise. That way you can catch a morning flight back to the "left" coast and not need to stress over it.

That's what we did and I'd do it again if I ever cruise from there again.

We had ZERO problems getting off the Navigator today. It was exactly 45 minutes from line up at 8:30 to clearing customs. BTW....it took us only 15 minutes to embark (we were on board at 11:00 am). I realize some others may have waited longer but many of us had a great experience. The TABC tax table was after customs and off to the side. It did not slow us getting off the ship since we had no liquor. This was our 6th cruise out of Galveston and all have been trouble free.

Friends of our got off the Navigator this morning. The were safely checked in at the Houston International Airport before noon. I don't know how long it took them do debark, or how far away the airport is from the cruise port.

Houston International is about 2 hour drive. Houston and Galveston are about 50 miles apart.

Talk to me CC please.....!

We've flown into Houston twice for the Galveston cruise. And both times Royal booked us in the mid-afternoon. These days, we drive even though it's a two-day drive.

Edited by knittinggirl

Coming from Houston, I hope Galveston port or the customs officials get their act together.

We were there last March for Spring break and customs was pretty slow too. The captain blamed it on recent cut backs within the government at the time.

Galveston lost Disney and while I think RCCL is planning to stay for the long term, I would hate to have more reason for people and then cruise lines to avoid Texas.

The TABC tax table was after customs and off to the side. It did not slow us getting off the ship since we had no liquor. This was our 6th cruise out of Galveston and all have been trouble free.

Question: Is there a separate line for passengers who don't have liquor?

Edited by JimAOk1945

Can someone explain to me how it's possible if you are flying to be able to bring home bottles of liquor in your bags when most limits are 50lbs per bag? We have tried in the past and for us seems impossible! We only bring home things of that nature if we are driving to the pier.