Concierge room. Is it worth it?

gwb2004

One note to the above--the snacks provided to concierge guests cannot be ordered thru room service in regular cabins. OTHER snacks are available in regular cabins, but not the "premium" concierge snacks. They are sometimes provided on specialty cruises to guests in other categories. For instance, we are "triple platinum." We were served the concierge snacks on our 24 night B2B Med cruise and were not in concierge.

And there is a HUGE difference between concierge on the Magic/Wonder vs. the Dream/Fantasy. Sorry that shoreside doesn't seem to be aware of that (but not surprised!)

• 3 months later...

Couple more questions on the Fantasy.

Do they serve lunch in the lounge the first day or is it just snacks? What is the main restaurant open on embarkation day (other than the buffet and the venues around the pool)?

Do they have flavored water type drinks in the lounge - our DD doesn't drink soda, she drinks water and sometimes flavored waters.

Any updates on if beer is in the mini fridge in the room and/or is it available in the lounge for free or is it only free during the happy hour(s) - there was some different answers posted when I asked last?

Do they serve lunch in the lounge the first day or is it just snacks? What is the main restaurant open on embarkation day (other than the buffet and the venues around the pool)?

It's more snacks, you could eat it and be full but not a Buffett.

Do they have flavored water type drinks in the lounge - our DD doesn't drink soda, she drinks water and sometimes flavored waters.

I know they did kids cocktails that way, I did see a selection of drinks, but if you ask the three hosts or bar staff I am sure they will help, my kids had a juice cocktail no soda.

Any updates on if beer is in the mini fridge in the room and/or is it available in the lounge for free or is it only free during the happy hour(s) - there was some different answers posted when I asked last?

Beer in Concierge lounge only free in happy hours.

See above answers.

Sent from my iPad.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

We just returned from a wonderful cruise (our first, ever!) on the Magic, and really enjoyed the concierge 1 br suite we had. I felt like we had our expectations raised by the Disney on-land concierge, though. When I asked about whether we should get water delivered to our room, I was told that water would be provided, and we would have access to the concierge lounge on board to get free drinks, snacks, and bottled water. When we boarded and asked our concierge about the lounge, we were told that on the Magic and Wonder, there is NO concierge lounge and no free bottled water.

Yes only new ships have concierge lounges.

They gave us a free six pack of bottled water, and put in some canned sodas in the fridge, as compensation for the misinformation we had received.

This isn't compensation they do that for all suites on embarkation.

It was never replenished.

That's standard.

We were told if we wanted additional bottled water, we would have to pay for it.

That's standard.

So the benefits we got for paying more were the extra space, priority boarding, early reservations for a cabana on CC, free snacks delivered without ordering

Yes but the gifts every day are not available on room service, we had very nice cupcakes, we had nice chocolate strawberries, a massive bowl of fruit, even flowers but not to eat.

(but they would have been free if we were in a regular room and ordered them through room service),

Not correct.

and a litho at the end of the trip. There were a couple of concierge parties (which we did not attend, since they were in conflict with other planned activities),

They are good with a character and free drinks and snacks. They could swap your times for confirmed activities.

and I am sure there were other things we could have done had we followed up with them. I was very disappointed that Disney couldn't give us coupons for free drinks or bottled water - even if there is no room for an actual room, they could have found a way to give us some of the benefits.

It's not part of the advertised product.

We will be on the Magic again in June, but won't be going concierge this time. We will miss the extra space, but it's just not worth the money. On the Fantasy or the Dream? You bet!

Responses above. Agree Fantasy and a Dream service is better.

Sent from my iPad.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

Flavored water--no. But on land in the US there are flavoring packets that you can buy to add to a bottle of water.

Beer--only during the "happy hours."

Concierge reception is "heavy snacks." It isn't a real lunch, but you could certainly substitute it for lunch if you didn't want to go to one of the lunch outlets.

To the post re Magic/Wonder vs Dream/Fantasy concierge--yes, there is a huge difference, beginning with the absence of a lounge on the classic ships. As DF noted, a stocked fridge with no refills is standard on Magic and Wonder. They are only refilled in the Roy/Walt suites. Sorry that shoreside didn't appreciate the differences!

Edited by moki'smommy

Flavored water--no. But on land in the US there are flavoring packets that you can buy to add to a bottle of water.

Beer--only during the "happy hours."

Concierge reception is "heavy snacks." It isn't a real lunch' date=' but you could certainly substitute it for lunch if you didn't want to go to one of the lunch outlets.

To the post re Magic/Wonder vs Dream/Fantasy concierge--yes, there is a huge difference, beginning with the absence of a lounge on the classic ships. As DF noted, a stocked fridge with no refills is standard on Magic and Wonder. They are only refilled in the Roy/Walt suites. Sorry that shoreside didn't appreciate the differences![/quote']

Agree.

Sent from my iPad.

Lunch is served in Cabanas and Enchanted Garden on embarkation day.

Cabanas is buffet and EG is a mixture of service for entrees and buffet for deserts.

Sent from my iPad.

Unless things have changed recently, EG was/is a buffet for both entrees and desserts. Beverage orders were taken and served at our table. Our last cruise on the Fantasy was a little over a year ago, and we did eat in EG on embarkation day. The mint chip ice cream was some of the best I've ever had!

It was sort of a "served" buffet line where you went up to the line and indicated to the CM what you wanted. The CM then placed the item(s) on a plate for you and you carried it back to the table. This is similar to the way the other ships work when there is a virus alert in place; however there was no alert during our Fantasy sailing. It was quick and very nicely done.

There were separate lines for appetizers/entrees and desserts.

Unless things have changed recently' date=' EG was/is a buffet for both entrees and desserts. Beverage orders were taken and served at our table. Our last cruise on the Fantasy was a little over a year ago, and we did eat in EG on embarkation day. The mint chip ice cream was some of the best I've ever had!

It was sort of a "served" buffet line where you went up to the line and indicated to the CM what you wanted. The CM then placed the item(s) on a plate for you and you carried it back to the table. This is similar to the way the other ships work when there is a virus alert in place; however there was no alert during our Fantasy sailing. It was quick and very nicely done.

There were separate lines for appetizers/entrees and desserts.[/quote']

Might have changed I cruised in the first year, in 2012, my cruise was part and part.

Sent from my iPad.

Is anyone disappointed that DCL didn't make the concierge-level rooms more family-friendly on the Dream and Fantasy?

I really thought that they'd add MORE two bedroom suites, not get rid of them. And the unusual layout of the one bedrooms and Royal Suites just aren't as family friendly as the ones on the Magic and Wonder.

Most cruise lines now are moving more toward rooms that the whole family can enjoy.....I feel as though Disney has made it so that families of more than four would be forced to book two rooms. :(

Is anyone disappointed that DCL didn't make the concierge-level rooms more family-friendly on the Dream and Fantasy?

I really thought that they'd add MORE two bedroom suites, not get rid of them. And the unusual layout of the one bedrooms and Royal Suites just aren't as family friendly as the ones on the Magic and Wonder.

Most cruise lines now are moving more toward rooms that the whole family can enjoy.....I feel as though Disney has made it so that families of more than four would be forced to book two rooms. :(

I think this is the point' date=' although the adjoining concierge rooms are nice. Yeah, I couldn't believe no more 2 bedrooms![/quote']

Yes agree needs a Cat S as well, but they have some connecting rooms.

I agree for families with say teenagers two rooms or a big suite required.

Sent from my iPad.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

Connecting rooms are fine, except then a family is still paying FULL FARE for four adults.

When our kids were in the pre-teen and teen years and we cruised, we specifically did not want them in a connecting room. My husband was adamant about them being in the same room, with only one door to enter and exit. If the kids stayed in the clubs after we went back to the room, he wanted to know exactly what time they were coming in, because they'd be grounded if they broke curfew. He's a Marine....sleeps with one eye open. And I just always felt more comfortable with the two bedroom suites.

I don't feel as though I'm missing anything at all, not getting a suite on the newer ships. Even the lounge isn't a big enough plus. If they had a private pool there, like the Haven on NCL....THAT would be worth it!

We are considering an upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite for our upcoming cruise. Currently, we have 2 balcony rooms.

Decisions..... decisions.....

Angela

You'd have more bathroom space with the two balcony rooms. They have the split baths (unless they're handicap rooms) which give you more space than the 2nd bathroom in a one bedroom suite, and the sleeping arrangements are far more comfortable with two staterooms vs a one bedroom suite. Depending on how many in your family, everyone would have a real bed in the 2 stateroom situation, as opposed to a sofa sleeper in the one bedroom.

Plus, the lack of a concierge lounge like they put on the newer ships, and it may not be worth it. Something to think about.

In my opinion, the suites are family friendly. We travel with 2 kids and 4 adults and book connecting cabins. It gives everyone enough personal space. This year we booked a family and one bedroom on the concierge deck. Looking forward to it. Some folks can be so negative; if it's Disney you want---do it---otherwise do something else.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Once you go on the concierge level, especially on the a Dream and the Fantasy, you will never want to travel any other way. The regular concierge level rooms get the same benefits as the one bedrooms. However, the bathrooms in the one bedrooms are much better! They have whirlpool tubs that are wonderful!

Once you go on the concierge level, especially on the a Dream and the Fantasy, you will never want to travel any other way. The regular concierge level rooms get the same benefits as the one bedrooms. However, the bathrooms in the one bedrooms are much better! They have whirlpool tubs that are wonderful!

Agree.

Sent from my iPad.

As our needs changed, we didn't have a problem with going from concierge rooms to non-concierge.

The only reason we did concierge at all was because we wanted the space when our kids were cruising with us. We started cruising on Disney when our daughter was 11 and our son was 8. By the time our son turned 16, he wasn't really interested in cruising on Disney any more, and we no longer needed the separate beds for the two kids, or extra bathroom.

I've had no trouble at all going "down" from concierge. I never really felt that the services offered were worth the extra money. Again, we only booked for the space.

The last time we were concierge level, we had a two bedroom Haven suite on the Norwegian Pearl....and if anything was going to totally spoil us for concierge level, it would be the Haven. But I'm perfectly happy in a nice aft balcony stateroom, with extra money to spare for any excursion I'd like....and the opportunity to take more trips with that extra money is sure a plus.

This is a pretty simple answer - if you have $2,000-$5,000 of disposable income then...yes, it's very much worth it. You are paying the equivalent of another cruise on some lines. It's just a matter of money and how you want to spend it.

This is a pretty simple answer - if you have $2,000-$5,000 of disposable income then...yes, it's very much worth it. You are paying the equivalent of another cruise on some lines. It's just a matter of money and how you want to spend it.

Here, here.

In my opinion, the suites are family friendly. We travel with 2 kids and 4 adults and book connecting cabins. It gives everyone enough personal space. This year we booked a family and one bedroom on the concierge deck. Looking forward to it. Some folks can be so negative; if it's Disney you want---do it---otherwise do something else.

That was my point, though. If you have to book TWO rooms (even if they are connecting) and therefore have to pay for four full adult fares....as opposed to what I would call a family friendly room, where all four have their own bed, two bathrooms, etc...and you'd pay two adult fares and two kids' fares....then it ISN'T family friendly or cost effective.

I strongly believe that DCL should have added more two bedroom suites, to accomodate larger families, rather than remove them. But hey....if it were MY business, and I knew I had (for the time being) a corner on the market, I guess I'd do what they did and force families to pay for two rooms also. All the more money for Disney.

People like me, and a lot of my Disney cruising friends, who cruised when Disney still cost more than the other lines, but wasn't quite as outrageous as it is now, are finding it very hard to recommend DCL to the average income family. Yes, we love Disney. Yes, they have special ships and are great for kids....but when it comes down to taking a Disney cruise or paying for your kids' braces......there aren't that many who can make that choice any more.

And paying double or triple for the exact same cruise, just to have a concierge team of two people who have to divide their time among many rooms.....I just can't see it being worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Fantasy where we had a one bedroom concierge for four of us. It was amazing! We will only book concierge on future dream class ships. We have looked at the older ships though and without the concierge lounge, to us, concierge isn't as great of a deal...that lounge was fabulous!

On our sailing, with the stocked fridge, it was stocked when we got on the ship and the concierge staff told us to simply help ourselves to sodas, waters, and milks to re-stock the fridge whenever we wanted. Also, if you want extra water, just ask and you will get a 6 pack to take with you.

Regarding the alcohol...we pre-purchased a wine package which we ended up not needing and gave to friends. We had late dinner seating so we would go to the lounge for both happy hours where Christopher made the best drinks every night for us...we would have some on our balcony before dinner then take another drink with us to dinner.

The snacks in the lounge at each meal were the equivalent of a continental breakfast...enough of a meal for some, more of a starter for others. But the quality of the food was great. Much better than Cabanas which we ended up going to only once.

One difference between one bedroom and family verandah concierge is the room service menu...from our room, we could order dinner from the main dining rooms since we had the dining table. We took advantage of this a couple times and it was a nice treat.

Oh and at Port Canaveral, there is a separate glass enclosed waiting area for concierge guests...it has a back entrance to the gangway so it's very convenient.