question about transfer from airport in san juan

winnipeg mom

I'm hoping I can get some help from anyone........ We are leaving next weekend for San Juan and were trying to figure out which would be the cheapest and quickest way to the port from the airport? I know the festival will be on in Old San Juan does anyone know if this will hold up traffic? I have read in recent posts that the taxis for about 6 people to the port would be around $37.

Also what does cvs sell for alcohol??

thanks in advance

Taxis in the tourist areas of San Juan/ Isla Verde/ Airport are fixed rate. $19 covers 5 persons plus $2 for each additional passenger up to 7 passenger from the airport. You have to add to that $1 per bag plus a $2 fuel charge. So you'd get a $23 base charge for passengers plus $1 for each bag. You should'nt have too much problems with the festival since they usually reserve an exclusive lane for mass transportation and taxis that goes straight into OSJ.

CVS offers a limited selection on alcohol. Some major beer brands and some wines. There's also a store nearby that has a better selection. If you're going on the Valor, there's also a store inside the terminal where you can make your purchase.

I have heard many great things about the festival but also heard that it can be a nightmare during those days. I was close to booking for that weekend but did not, did I hear wrong? Thanks for your help...

So for two people it would be $25 plus a $1 per bag? And is this for all bags including purses/carryons? Or just bags put in the trunk? And I do not live where taxis are a big part of getting around. What is a typical tip? A percentage of the total, a specific amount? Just trying to budget our transportation and want to have good estimates to make things as smoothe as possible. Thanks.

So for two people it would be $25 plus a $1 per bag? And is this for all bags including purses/carryons? Or just bags put in the trunk? And I do not live where taxis are a big part of getting around. What is a typical tip? A percentage of the total, a specific amount? Just trying to budget our transportation and want to have good estimates to make things as smooth as possible. Thanks.

The rates are set and posted right on the window. The last time we took a cab is was $19 plus $1 per bag for a ride to the airport. There were 2 of us and we paid $23 total because we had 4 bags. They won't charge you for smaller items that you carry with you- just the luggage they handle. I'm not sure if the price has changed but it is very reasonable and per cab, not per person.

It is super easy, safe, and really the only way to get around in San Juan. They are very well-orgainzed and will get you to the airport quickly. You simply walk out of the port, and to the taxi dispatcher who will give you a ticket with the price written on it up front. They will direct you to the next cab which there will be plenty waiting.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by MDSue

I have heard many great things about the festival but also heard that it can be a nightmare during those days. I was close to booking for that weekend but did not, did I hear wrong? Thanks for your help...

The traffic is horrific in Old San Juan during the festival, but the majority of the ships (besides Carnival) depart from the Pan Am pier which is located outside the heart of town and shouldn't be badly impacted by the festival.

I'm not sure how the traffic will be for the ship that is docked in the heart of the city, but I imagine it will be impacted.