Can I help with any Malaga info?

campolady

We are late sixties, and early seventies LOL, still keeping up with the young cruisers and never hold up tour groups LOL.

Unfortunately our Hotel will not be known until about 30 days from the beginning of the trip. Also what tours this agency will offer. So at the last minute, as usual, we will have to make decisions on their tours or private companies or do it on our own(actually prefer on our own) but not speaking much Spanish, French yes(Wife) and at our age, some times pre arranged tours are better, especially with exotic type, and I consider Morocco some what exotic and have heard some strange stuff from people on their own.

Two points Mr North :)

1/ many local travel agents in Costa del Sol will offer day or overnight trips to Cueta (Spanish enclave in North Africa), Mellilla or Tangier from Algeciras or Tariffa by luxury coach and ferry. You can book them locally.

2/ You can obtain a Tarjeta Dorada at Malaga main station (Maria Zambrano) at the ticket office. Most of the ticket clerks speak varying degrees of English, however they will surely know what you want when you show your passport and ask 'Tajeta Dorada'. There is a small charge (about €5 or €6) for the Tarjeta, but it more than pays back! You can use it straight away and book tickets for the mainline train to Sevilla or Cordoba. It can also be used for discounts on the local Torremolinos line. It may also be possible to buy Tarjeta Dorada at Torremolinos station.

Edited by VMax1700

We will be in Malaga for the day on September 8. We understand it's a local holiday in honor of the patron saint, Our Lady of Victory.

--We are trying to figure out what will be closed--shops? the local market? restaurants? historic sites and/or churches?

--Also, what is the route and timing of the procession.

We will be in Malaga for the day on September 8. We understand it's a local holiday in honor of the patron saint, Our Lady of Victory.

--We are trying to figure out what will be closed--shops? the local market? restaurants? historic sites and/or churches?

--Also, what is the route and timing of the procession.

8 September is a neighbourhood festival rather than a city wide local holiday - shops, markets and all tourist attractions in Malaga will be open as usual. The event mainly occurs at the Cathedral and in the gardens behind it - there won' t be a procession around the city but you will see the Madonna carried on a small float around the Cathedral grounds.

At the moment the event times have not been released - don' t expect these to be available until a few days before the 8th - but they will eventually be shown on the following site that also has a description of the festival

http://www.visitcostadelsol.com/what-to-do-and-see/events/special-events/nuestra-senora-de-la-victoria-festival-p10631

Sorry I can' t be more helpful.

Edited by campolady

8 September is a neighbourhood festival rather than a city wide local holiday - shops, markets and all tourist attractions in Malaga will be open as usual. The event mainly occurs at the Cathedral and in the gardens behind it - there won' t be a procession around the city but you will see the Madonna carried on a small float around the Cathedral grounds.

At the moment the event times have not been released - don' t expect these to be available until a few days before the 8th - but they will eventually be shown on the following site that also has a description of the festival

http://www.visitcostadelsol.com/what-to-do-and-see/events/special-events/nuestra-senora-de-la-victoria-festival-p10631

Sorry I can' t be more helpful.

Have done a bit more investigating for you and now find that, although all restaurants and tourist sites will be open, the larger shops will be closed.

• 2 weeks later...

o.k. slightly related to cruising… Will call at Malaga before going to Barcelona. looked all over the web trying to find a Spanish store such as Orange (no Prepaid Data card right now it seems) to buy prepaid IPAD data. Will someone who has recently been to Spain and bought Prepaid >>IPAD<< Data point me in the right direction? Any help much appreciated. Note do not have an IPhone.

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Campolady,

We are flying in to Malaga on 25 March to join P&O Ventura the next day. We intend to travel by train or bus from the airport and wonder if you could advise a reasonable hotel close to an airport express bus stop. We have identified the Barceló and could travel there by train..... but it is slightly away from the centre. Is there a suitable hotel very close to a n airport bus stop? We would not want to walk far with suitcases..... not now we are in our 70's!

Hi Campolady,

We are flying in to Malaga on 25 March to join P&O Ventura the next day. We intend to travel by train or bus from the airport and wonder if you could advise a reasonable hotel close to an airport express bus stop. We have identified the Barceló and could travel there by train..... but it is slightly away from the centre. Is there a suitable hotel very close to a n airport bus stop? We would not want to walk far with suitcases..... not now we are in our 70's!

There are 2 excellent 4 star hotels just a couple of minutes walk from the airport bus stop at the Parque de Mar - Molina Larios and Malaga Palacio; this stop is also just across the road from the Port main gates although about 1.5 kilometres from the cruise terminal. We stayed at the Molina Larios with friends in December and they took the bus back to the airport from this stop. We find that http://www.lastcheck.co.uk has the best prices for hotels anywhere in Spain.

The Barceló isn' t in the best part of town but is only a 10 minutes walk into the centre.

Hope this helps.

Edited by campolady

Hi Country Lady:

We will be in Malaga on a Sunday and have arranged for a taxi for 3 hours. Could you please suggest a few sights to take in during our short tour.

Thanks,

Ken

To be honest, Malaga is so pedestrian friendly a taxi really isn' t necessary.

A taxi won' t get you right into the old city centre which is a shame as you will miss all the lovely little narrow streets and alleyways which have surprises round each corner and house most of the best Tapas Bars. You will also have to walk to the best museums such as the Picasso Museum which should not be missed.

However your cab can take you up the hill to Gibralfaro Castle - although you can do this by bus (no. 35) for little over 1 Euro per person; remember to take such form of ID if you are Seniors as you get a reduced entrance fee. It will also be able to drop you at the wonderful Cathedral from where you can enter the old centre on foot - go down Calle Granada; don't forget that services take place throughout Sundays when admission to the Cathedral is limited so make sure your cab driver times your arrival appropriately. If you cannot get to the Tapas bars in the old city ask your driver to drop you at Antigua Casa La Guardia on the main street (Alameda Principal) or at El Jardin behind the Cathedral; alternatively ask him to take you to one of the Chiringuitos (beachfront bar/restaurants) - Picassos is very good. He should be able to get you to the Alcazaba (Citadel) and, maybe, the Roman Amphitheatre dig below.

Sadly most of the shops, and the fascinating indoor market, will be closed on a Sunday; some small shops may be open and all the bars, restaurants and Patisseries will be buzzing.

Just one thought - there are ' Rickshaw' cabs available in the old city - generally pulled by local students who are very knowledgable about the city and who can get you into areas inaccessible by car.

Let me know if this is the kind of information you need or please feel free to ask any firther questions.

Edited by campolady

Hi Campolady,

I sailed on the Norwegian Spirit last month and really enjoyed the AC Hotel Malaga. It is a little on the higher side for Malaga, but by my standards found it a very good value. I especially liked that it was directly across from the Airport Bus stop 366, Paseo de Parque.

The other hotels mentioned here are very near though as well.

I also like the taxi stand right outside the hotel with 5 minute, 10 euro set fare ride to terminal. Malaga Cruise Terminal was excellent now.

A tip about the bus. Not sure if covered earlier in this thread. It is best to buy ticket from a blue kiosk for the Bus A right as you exit the terminal toward the bus stop. Having this ticket already allows you to board the bus right away from the middle doors and get your bags on the rack and seated while others still wait to pay up front.

I was surprised that many that took the bus that I waited almost one half hour for got off at the bus terminal, which was right next to where they would have come in by triain? It made the bus crowded and they wasted time. While the bus to the city center is the very best option.

Hi

I was wondering if you had any information on the caves at Nerja.

I'll be in the area in September and will be travelling with my brother who is physically disabled and has to use crutches. He is quite fit, but cannot manage a lot of steps so I was wondering if the caves are fairly level inside or if there are a lot of steps.

We did visit the caves as children with our parents but it was so long ago we cannot remember anything specific about the trip so I thought it might be nice to go there again.

Duncan

Hi

I was wondering if you had any information on the caves at Nerja.

I'll be in the area in September and will be travelling with my brother who is physically disabled and has to use crutches. He is quite fit, but cannot manage a lot of steps so I was wondering if the caves are fairly level inside or if there are a lot of steps.

We did visit the caves as children with our parents but it was so long ago we cannot remember anything specific about the trip so I thought it might be nice to go there again.

Duncan

There are a LOT of steps and very steep / slippery slopes both into and out from the cave - not too bad once actually inside the cavern. My husband has a heart condition and, after visiting the caves for many years before he became ill, he cannot manage the steps and slopes anymore.

The fact that there is no special tariff for disabled visitors shows that the site is not really accessible to anyone with mobility problems.

http://www.thenerjacaves.com/

I hope this helps.

Edited by campolady

To be honest, Malaga is so pedestrian friendly a taxi really isn' t necessary.

A taxi won' t get you right into the old city centre which is a shame as you will miss all the lovely little narrow streets and alleyways which have surprises round each corner and house most of the best Tapas Bars. You will also have to walk to the best museums such as the Picasso Museum which should not be missed.

However your cab can take you up the hill to Gibralfaro Castle - although you can do this by bus (no. 35) for little over 1 Euro per person; remember to take such form of ID if you are Seniors as you get a reduced entrance fee. It will also be able to drop you at the wonderful Cathedral from where you can enter the old centre on foot - go down Calle Granada; don't forget that services take place throughout Sundays when admission to the Cathedral is limited so make sure your cab driver times your arrival appropriately. If you cannot get to the Tapas bars in the old city ask your driver to drop you at Antigua Casa La Guardia on the main street (Alameda Principal) or at El Jardin behind the Cathedral; alternatively ask him to take you to one of the Chiringuitos (beachfront bar/restaurants) - Picassos is very good. He should be able to get you to the Alcazaba (Citadel) and, maybe, the Roman Amphitheatre dig below.

Sadly most of the shops, and the fascinating indoor market, will be closed on a Sunday; some small shops may be open and all the bars, restaurants and Patisseries will be buzzing.

Just one thought - there are ' Rickshaw' cabs available in the old city - generally pulled by local students who are very knowledgable about the city and who can get you into areas inaccessible by car.

Let me know if this is the kind of information you need or please feel free to ask any firther questions.

Thank you. I appreciate your suggestions. I did consider the bike taxis, but chose a regular taxi mainly to keep our luggage while we walk around and possibly attend mass at the cathedral. Also the cost was about the same and if I find another couple to join us, it will be less.

Thank you. I appreciate your suggestions. I did consider the bike taxis, but chose a regular taxi mainly to keep our luggage while we walk around and possibly attend mass at the cathedral. Also the cost was about the same and if I find another couple to join us, it will be less.

I didn' t suggest the bike taxis for cost reasons - just because they can get to places inaccessible by ordinary cabs. However, I understand you thinking about luggage storage; I assume that you have already checked that this will be OK with your taxi company - leaving luggage unattended is not always permissible nowadays due to security reasons.

Enjoy your time in Malaga - its a wonderful city.

Edited by campolady

Thanks, Campolady and Madflyer for your hotel recommendations

and the rationale for them. It will make my preparation for the trip

much easier & I will now check Tripadvisor reviews before making a

final choice. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
We live mid-way between Malaga and Granada and know the city of Malaga well.

If anyone visiting Malaga on a cruise has any questions I will be happy to do my best to help - the city is not great at promoting itself which is such a shame as it has so much to offer.

Thank you for offering to help. We are going to be in Malaga for one day in early April from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. I am really undecided on what to do, as I can never quite trust the cruise lines' tour descriptions. Our options with the cruise line are

- Granada and the Alhambra. Looks like just the Alhambra and a "panoramic tour" I.e. Bus ride, around the city.

- the caves of Nerja

- Marbella

- Mijas & countryside

- Malaga

The last four are all half-day morning tours, and I would really rather do a full day, since there is so much to see.

If we do Granada, I would only do a ship's excursion because of how far away it is. How long is the bus ride? Is it worth it? Is the place just super-crowded with tourists?

I might also consider doing a private tour around some of the other places mentioned.

So, what should we do?

A few things about us that may help you recommend something.

- We are 5 people, so too many for a regular taxi. It is either private tour, ship's tour or DIY.

- We are in our 40s, with 3 children, ages 14, 10 and 7.

- We do not like shopping, unless it is for food and wine, in which case we love it.

- We do not speak Spanish.

We'd really appreciate your recommendations. Thanks.

Go to the Alhambra! I will not forgive you if you do not go! Any one who has been will not forgive you either. It is truly wonderful. I have been 3 times and will go again in May. :)

The journey is interesting, especially through the mountains. Check that your ships tour includes admission tickets and tickets for Nasrid Palace admission. Admission to the Nasrid palace is only at the time printed on your ticket.

For a quirky lunch visit the American Hotel, beside the Parador hotel. Its a little pricey but the atmosphere in the enclosed garden is worth it.

I would love to tell you to visit Caves of Nerja, to the East side of Malaga (Axarquia), but please do not miss the Alhambra!

Thank you for offering to help. We are going to be in Malaga for one day in early April from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. I am really undecided on what to do, as I can never quite trust the cruise lines' tour descriptions. Our options with the cruise line are

- Granada and the Alhambra. Looks like just the Alhambra and a "panoramic tour" I.e. Bus ride, around the city.

- the caves of Nerja

- Marbella

- Mijas & countryside

- Malaga

The last four are all half-day morning tours, and I would really rather do a full day, since there is so much to see.

If we do Granada, I would only do a ship's excursion because of how far away it is. How long is the bus ride? Is it worth it? Is the place just super-crowded with tourists?

I might also consider doing a private tour around some of the other places mentioned.

So, what should we do?

A few things about us that may help you recommend something.

- We are 5 people, so too many for a regular taxi. It is either private tour, ship's tour or DIY.

- We are in our 40s, with 3 children, ages 14, 10 and 7.

- We do not like shopping, unless it is for food and wine, in which case we love it.

- We do not speak Spanish.

We'd really appreciate your recommendations. Thanks.

For most people a trip to the Alhambra is a ' must see' and, if this is the only time you are likely to visit Andalucía I would probably agree. Yes - expect crowds but April (apart from Holy Week and Easter Week) will be less crowded than in high Summer. I would recommend you go on your cruise ship excursion rather than private tour; the road to Granada is notorious for delays and your ship wouldn't wait for you if you were delayed. Bus journey is around 1.5 to 2 hours depending on traffic. If you choose the Alhambra do wear comfortable shoes as there are a lot of steps and climbing involved.

The Caves of Nerja are worth a visit if you had several days in port but there are better things to do on a one day visit IMO.

Mijas and the Countryside would be a pleasant excursion; Mijas is touristy but retains some Spanish charm and the views are spectacular.

Marbella is a large city and nearby Puerto Banus is overrated/expensive and not somewhere I would go to get a real feel of Andalucía.

Malaga is a fascinating city with so much to fill your day without doing any shopping! It is a food and wine lovers delight and children are welcome everywhere. You do not need to go on an organised tour of the city as it is very pedestrian friendly and all the major sites are quite close together.

So my personal first choice suggestion would be Malaga with Granada next if this is likely to be your only visit, closely followed by Mijas.

Hope this hasn' t confused you even more!

Edited by campolady

Hi Campolady

We will be docked in Malaga in May for an afternoon, noon until 7pm.

Hoping to walk around town and visit Alcazaba and the Roman amphitheatre. Is this practical? We are fairly fit and used to walking, but I understand that there is some sort of elevator up to the fort? How do we find this, and are there likely to be long queues? (If so, we will probably prefer to walk)

Also what time do the shops close and reopen after lunch?

Thanks

Ergates

Hi Campolady

We will be docked in Malaga in May for an afternoon, noon until 7pm.

Hoping to walk around town and visit Alcazaba and the Roman amphitheatre. Is this practical? We are fairly fit and used to walking, but I understand that there is some sort of elevator up to the fort? How do we find this, and are there likely to be long queues? (If so, we will probably prefer to walk)

Also what time do the shops close and reopen after lunch?

Thanks

Ergates

Perfectly practical. It is about a 15 minute walk from the port to the Roman Amphitheatre - theatre info here http://www.andalucia.com/cities/malaga/teatro-romano.htm

The entrance to the elevator up to the Alcazaba is hidden at the rear of the Town Hall round the corner from the Amphitheatre (usually no queues). The elevator takes you to the Alcazaba only - it does not go all the way up to the Gibralfaro Castle so if you also want to visit that the best way is by no. 35 bus - well worth a visit for the excellent views. Info on the Alcazaba here http://www.andalucia.com/cities/malaga/alcazaba.htm

You can buy a dual ticket for both the Alcazaba and Gibralfaro Castle for less than 4€ per person; entrance to the Amphitheatre is free. Do wear comfortable shoes!

Shops close from 1.30 until 5.00 but bars and restaurants are open throughout this period and some small shops stay open.

With 7 hours in port you will have plenty of time to see far more than just the Alcazaba and Amphitheatre - including plenty of Tapas Bar stops where you will meet the local Malagueños and must try some of the famous Malaga Wines (fortified Wines similar to Sherry going from very dry to very sweet).

Let me know if I can be of any more help in any way and enjoy!

Edited by campolady

Thank you, Campolady!

Very useful information. Is there a branch of El Corte Ingles in Malaga?

And by any chance, a shop selling traditional flamenco shoes? ( took some classes here in the UK, and wouldn't mind practicing my steps on the garage floor!)

Thanks

Ergates

There is a large branch of El Corte Ingles on the main street of Malaga - Avenida Alameda Principal. From the port gates just cross 2 roads onto the wide main thioroughfare and turn left. El Corte is a few hundred meters up on the right - just after you cross the bridge over the river. On your way up you will pass the ' Antigua Casa de Guardia' (Old Jail House) reputedly the oldest bar in Malaga where you can sample innumerable Malaga Wines straight from the cask; very cheap/very atmospheric with your running total chalked up on the old wooden bar in front of you.

There are many, many shops selling authentic (not cheap but they last forever) Flamenco shoes - just wander through the back streets at the rear of the Plaza de la Constitucion and you will find them.

Edited by campolady