Can I help with any Malaga info?

campolady

Thank you Brenda and JB.

I am really torn between spending the day in Malaga or visiting Alhambra.

I have the same problem about spending the day in Cadiz or visiting Seville.

After reading these posts I see many cruisers struggle with these same choices.

It's really not such a bad problem to have. I know I will be a happy with either decision. I appreciate all your help!

I can understand your quandry - if this is likely to be your only trip to Spain it is understandable that you are tempted by both Granada (Alhambra) and Seville.

However, both are exhausting trips - with big crowds - so I personally would suggest that you visit either Granada or Seville and stay in one of the coastal cities on the other day. Cadiz is lovely - we will be spending our cruise day there in November rather than visiting elsewhere. Both Granada and Seville can still be very hot in September whereas Malaga and Cadiz have cooling sea breezes.

I am sure that you will have a ball whichever decision you make. If you do decide on Malaga nearer the time let us know your interests I will suggest places that you should see.

Edited by campolady

I can understand your quandry - if this is likely to be your only trip to Spain it is understandable that you are tempted by both Granada (Alhambra) and Seville.

However, both are exhausting trips - with big crowds - so I personally would suggest that you visit either Granada or Seville and stay in one of the coastal cities on the other day. Cadiz is lovely - we will be spending our cruise day there in November rather than visiting elsewhere. Both Granada and Seville can still be very hot in September whereas Malaga and Cadiz have cooling sea breezes.

I am sure that you will have a ball whichever decision you make. If you do decide on Malaga nearer the time let us know your interests I will suggest places that you should see.

Thank you for all the great suggestions.

We have decided to spend the day in Malaga. I can hardly wait:)

We will arrive at 8am and leave at 11:00 pm. This will give us a full day and evening to experience this wonderful place.

Thank you for all the great suggestions.

We have decided to spend the day in Malaga. I can hardly wait:)

We will arrive at 8am and leave at 11:00 pm. This will give us a full day and evening to experience this wonderful place.

You won´t be disappointed!

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Malaga Sept 10, Wednesday. Is the town walking distance

from the port?

Thank you campo lady for all your suggestions.

We've decided to see Malaga. We're thinking of the HOHO bus.

What are your thoughts as I see you suggest #35 bus.

We will be in Malaga Sept 10, Wednesday. Is the town walking distance

from the port?

Thank you campo lady for all your suggestions.

We've decided to see Malaga. We're thinking of the HOHO bus.

What are your thoughts as I see you suggest #35 bus.

From the cruise terminal to city centre is a 1.5km walk - takes us about 20 minutes and goes past the excellent Muelle Uno (Pier One) shopping/restaurant area within the port. However, there is a little train that runs from the terminal to entrance gates where the HOHO bus stops.

Personally I think the HOHO is a waste of money as the old city is so compact/very pedestrian friendly and many of the most interesting areas are inaccessible by vehicles but of course it is ideal if you just want to see the major sites in comfort. The HOHO will take you up to the castle (Gibralfaro) so you wouldn´t need to use the no. 35 bus. Here is the link for the HOHO http://www.malaga-tour.com/malaga/infomalaga_ing.html

Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by campolady

Thank you Brenda and JB.

I am really torn between spending the day in Malaga or visiting Alhambra.

I have the same problem about spending the day in Cadiz or visiting Seville.

After reading these posts I see many cruisers struggle with these same choices.

It's really not such a bad problem to have. I know I will be a happy with either decision. I appreciate all your help!

I am hoping to cruise to Malaga and Cadiz next year. The way I think I'll do it is I will go the Alhambra (sorry Campolady!) as I have long wanted to go there. But will stay in Cadiz - as someone said both are long trips and I'd already decided I wanted a quieter trip the day before Alhambra.

I am hoping to cruise to Malaga and Cadiz next year. The way I think I'll do it is I will go the Alhambra (sorry Campolady!) as I have long wanted to go there. But will stay in Cadiz - as someone said both are long trips and I'd already decided I wanted a quieter trip the day before Alhambra.

I do allow people to not stay in Malaga P&O Sue LOL! I am sure that you will enjoy the Alhambra but you must come back and see Malaga one day soon.

For anyone undecided whether to go to Granada or stay in Malaga his is an interesting post put on TripAdvisor yesterday

<<Thoughts about Malaga / C. del sol and Thanks to all - yesterday, 15:57

We are back from our vacation and fun times had been had by all.

The elderly people of my travel group (who didn't do that much research about Malaga, bec I was the one who did) was surprised why this wonderful city is being skipped by a lot of tourists on their way to Alhambra.

We thought that Malaga was underrated and Alhambra was overrated. Very touristy. Sure, we have read about the history but, ugh the crowd at Alhambra was horrendous. Don't go to Granada just to see the Alhambra. Go to Granada and see the city. But if you have limited time, just stay put in Malaga. (sorry to Granada's Alhambra fans.) I think Malaga deserves at least 3 days just like Seville.

Food was amazing and cheaper in Malaga and Seville and Granada. But we had better food in Malaga and Seville compared to Granada. I have a student friend in Granada that showed us around so I didn't do much research about Granada's restaurants. My student friend's taste is on the budget side, I guess, that's why she probably didn't know about the higher end restaurants in Granada. Granada is a good city but we like Malaga and Seville more.

Again Thank you All.>>

Edited by campolady

From the cruise terminal to city centre is a 1.5km walk - takes us about 20 minutes and goes past the excellent Muelle Uno (Pier One) shopping/restaurant area within the port. However, there is a little train that runs from the terminal to entrance gates where the HOHO bus stops.

Personally I think the HOHO is a waste of money as the old city is so compact/very pedestrian friendly and many of the most interesting areas are inaccessible by vehicles but of course it is ideal if you just want to see the major sites in comfort. The HOHO will take you up to the castle (Gibralfaro) so you wouldn´t need to use the no. 35 bus. Here is the link for the HOHO http://www.malaga-tour.com/malaga/infomalaga_ing.html

Hope this helps a bit.

So are you saying that where you want to be is the old city area...and that's where the main points of interest are?

Thank you in advance for your response and information.

Next I'll ask your thoughts about Cadiz.

So are you saying that where you want to be is the old city area...and that's where the main points of interest are?

Thank you in advance for your response and information.

Next I'll ask your thoughts about Cadiz.

Yes - the old city is the place to be.

Sorry - don' t know much about Cadiz (stopping there on our next cruise in November though).

• 2 weeks later...
We live mid-way between Malaga and Granada and know the city of Malaga well.

If anyone visiting Malaga on a cruise has any questions I will be happy to do my best to help - the city is not great at promoting itself which is such a shame as it has so much to offer.

I have never been to Malaga, but visited Torremolinos in the late 1970s and was not impressed. I had spent 10 weeks in Seville, and loved it. However, Torremolinos seemed to be trying to be more American than Spanish--which was a turn-off to me.Is Malaga better than Torremolinos?

Alan

We live mid-way between Malaga and Granada and know the city of Malaga well.

If anyone visiting Malaga on a cruise has any questions I will be happy to do my best to help - the city is not great at promoting itself which is such a shame as it has so much to offer.

We are on an Azamara cruise which ends in Malaga. We dock at 9pm on Friday, Nov. 14 and disembark on Nov. 16th. I am not sure what time we will be able to disembark, but we have a flight at 9:45am on the 16th. What is the best/fastest way to get to the airport?? Are reliable private transfers available? Are there always taxis available at the port at all times?? Any help would be appreciated.

We are on an Azamara cruise which ends in Malaga. We dock at 9pm on Friday, Nov. 14 and disembark on Nov. 16th. I am not sure what time we will be able to disembark, but we have a flight at 9:45am on the 16th. What is the best/fastest way to get to the airport?? Are reliable private transfers available? Are there always taxis available at the port at all times?? Any help would be appreciated.

If you do not have special needs or a large party a taxi will be readily available. One of the benefits of a 'small' ship experience is a less stressful disembarkation.

There is a major taxi rank only 3 minutes from the port if a taxi did need to be called and one was not waiting at the pier. I think there will be a long line waiting.

Sunday rates will be a little higher. Supplements of 5.50 euro will be charged for Airport arrival, 2 euros from the port, and 1 euro for oversize overweight baggage. Leave after 6 AM to avoid an even higher rate.

I would guess about 25-30 euro on a Sunday morning. 19.01 euro is the minimum fare to the airport. The trip will go quick with very little traffic at that time.

I have never been to Malaga, but visited Torremolinos in the late 1970s and was not impressed. I had spent 10 weeks in Seville, and loved it. However, Torremolinos seemed to be trying to be more American than Spanish--which was a turn-off to me.Is Malaga better than Torremolinos?

Alan

I'm no great fan of Malaga, but Torremolinos & Malaga are chalk & cheese.

Malaga has been an important port city for centuries. Overall IMHO not an attractive city for tourists, but has interesting places - castle, cathedral, etc. In many ways it's like my home city of Southampton - a working city, not a magnet for tourists. But enough to keep a tourist interested for a day.

And it's truly Spanish (Malaga, not Southampton ;))

Torremolinos was a small fishing village, but like many fishing villages along the Mediterranean costas no clues of its origins remain.

From the 1960's/70's, when the jet age made flying accessible to all, it has become a boom-town for northern Europeans, especially Brits, taking cheap package-holidays with guaranteed sunshine and new hotels along the seafront, and close to an international airport. It has grown at an amazing rate.

So it's a resort, with wall-to-wall high-rise hotels, British bars, English breakfasts, roast dinners, fast-food takeaways, cheap alcohol, kiss-me-quick hats - a British seaside resort in the sun. And as with all resorts, those closest to the airport are at the budget end.

You weren't impressed in the '70s, and you certainly won't be impressed now.

Certainly no destination for a port-of-call visitor.

JB :)

We returned almost 2 weeks ago from our Celebrity Reflection TA cruise. We thoroughly enjoyed our day in Malaga, which we consider to be a very beautiful city and a great place to spend the day seeing some sights and enjoying tapas and wine.

I have been to the Alhambra as well as Malaga in the 1970s (spent summer in Spain), but I did not have much time to spend in Malaga at that time as we were in route to Tangiers.

For our day in Malaga this month, we took Celebrity's Do It Yourself (DIY) bus to the Gibralfaro Castle where we spent 1.5 to 2 hours touring the interesting castle grounds with spectacular views. We then took the DIY bus to Plaza de la Merced where we had a couple glasses of wine with the absolutely delicious olives, enjoyed people watching, and did wifi at Bar Picasso. My big regret is that we didn't ask for another bowl of the olives where we got our 2nd glasses of wine. Four glasses of wine with the olives cost 12 Euros for the both of us which included the 20% gratuity that they tacked onto the bill. This plaza has numerous cafes, and at the north corner is Picasso's birthplace, now a museum.

After enjoying olives and wine, catching up on email and Cruise Critic, and walking around Plaza de la Merced, we walked the short distance to the Roman amphitheater and Alcazaba. We visited the small interactive amphitheater museum and explored the amphitheater followed by walking up to the Alcazaba which we did not tour in interest of time. We then walked across to the 18th century bodega, El Pimpi, in the square adjacent to the amphitheater and which was recommended by a couple British tourists we met at Bar Picasso. El Pimpi is certainly worth a stop for refreshment or to just walk through to see and photograph the lovely and historic bodega. http://www.elpimpi.com/en/index.htm

Afterwards, we walked around numerous shopping and cafe streets in that area and to the beautiful gardens near where the cruise ship shuttles (free for Celebrity & maybe for other ships) were. Campolady, was this Malaga city park called Paseo de Parque? We took the shuttle back to the ship.

It sounds like we had a short walking day, but it was actually around 10-11 miles even with the DIY bus, which included walking to all corners horizontally & vertically at the Gibralfaro and Roman amphitheater. The DYI bus was $29 per person offered as a Celebrity shore excursion and stopped at three stops only, which were the most "requested" or "visited" areas according to Celebrity's Shore Excursion desk: El Gibralfaro, Plaza de la Merced, and the Cathedral. A person could get on and off as desired with the buses supposedly running every 20-30 minutes. We only used the bus, which was useful to expedite getting up to El Gibralfaro and then to Plaza del la Merced, and then walked everywhere else from there.

The DIY bus was a little pricey given that they did not give us maps or a bus schedule and we had no idea where and when to get the shuttle back to the ship from the cathedral. Instead we opted to explore from Plaza de la Merced to areas going back towards the port and take the free ship shuttle back to the ship (could have walked back to the ship too) versus spending time to look for the DIY bus location near the cathedral. If your ship offers the DIY bus and provides (or bus company provides) maps and a time schedule, this bus would be worth it if you want to maximize what you see in these three areas and to minimize your walking, especially with Gibralfaro perched high on a hill in Malaga. If you are willing to walk 10+ miles or focus on areas closer to the port without as much mileage and you are not interested in touring Gibralfaro, Malaga is certainly doable on your own without any transportation. To get up to Gibralfaro is quite an uphill hike (45 min. mentioned earlier on this thread?), but you could perhaps get a taxi up there or the public bus to minimize costs versus a HOHO or DIY bus. Note: Malaga's own HOHO bus has more stops than the DIY bus, which stopped only at the 3 most requested stops that I mentioned earlier; Malaga is definitely a nice walking city, but the HOHO bus or DIY bus could cut down on the mileage.

We will be in Malaga again next year with the Celebrity Equinox TA, and once again we plan to spend the day walking on our own (no bus) in Malaga to tour briefly the Roman amphitheater again, tour the Alcazaba, and maybe tour Picasso's birthplace as well as walking around the old city center with a stop at El Pimpi for tapas, wine, and wifi (pronounced "wee-fee" in Spain & France and probably in Italy & Portugal). We'll also look for the old Roman fishing pit that we read about in the "Footsteps through the City of Malaga" guide (Kindle version) that campolady recommended and which we used as an overall guide during this visit. Dh enjoyed Malaga so much that I doubt he will want to go to the Alhambra on our next Malaga visit.

Kathy

Edited by TourDeCruise
Clarification

Alan

<<Torremolinos was a small fishing village, but like many fishing villages along the Mediterranean costas no clues of its origins remain.

From the 1960's/70's, when the jet age made flying accessible to all, it has become a boom-town for northern Europeans, especially Brits, taking cheap package-holidays with guaranteed sunshine and new hotels along the seafront, and close to an international airport. It has grown at an amazing rate.

So it's a resort, with wall-to-wall high-rise hotels, British bars, English breakfasts, roast dinners, fast-food takeaways, cheap alcohol, kiss-me-quick hats - a British seaside resort in the sun. And as with all resorts, those closest to the airport are at the budget end.

You weren't impressed in the '70s, and you certainly won't be impressed now.

Certainly no destination for a port-of-call visitor.>>

You obviously haven' t been to Torremolinos in the last year or so as the old town (area centred around Calle Miguel) is now very Spanish with over 80% of its visitors being from Spain and having some of the best Tapas Bars you would find anywhere - not a Kiss Me Quick hat in sight and absolutely nothing like the awful British enclaves of Benalmadena or parts of Fuengirola.

Edited by campolady

Brenda,

I am so happy to have found this thread. My hubby and I are also going to be on an Oceania cruise in September (same one as Gingins).

I, too, was torn between exploring Malaga or going to Granada. I have been to Granada (MANY moons ago!) but never to Malaga. After reading all the information you have provided, we have decided to order the book "Footsteps.." and walk ourselves around Malaga -- with plenty of stops to enjoy wine and tapas!! :D

Thanks again for all your contributions to this Board!

tt (Terry) :)

You obviously haven' t been to Torremolinos in the last year or so as the old town (area centred around Calle Miguel) is now very Spanish with over 80% of its visitors being from Spain and having some of the best Tapas Bars you would find anywhere - not a Kiss Me Quick hat in sight and absolutely nothing like the awful British enclaves of Benalmadena or parts of Fuengirola.

About 3 years ago though only a drive-through, using up time on the way from Costa de la Luz to the airport. And things looked very much as usual along the main carretera though we didn't stop off at Calle San Miguel.

But "old town" Torremolinos?

There's surely not a pre-1960 building left standing :confused:

But whatever.

We can surely agree that it's not a destination for a cruiser visiting Malaga. ;)

JB :)

While Torremolinos is not ideal, I do commend their effort to really clean things up. The fact that there are only a couple of 'British' Pubs left has really been a major factor in this effort as highlighted in this 2012 article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2136202/Torremolinos-Spain-tourism-Tidied-resort-number-bargain-sun.html

The fact that it is easy accessible, with frequent trains and busses, is probably the only reason that it may be on the list of 'some' cruise passengers that are looking for a beach day without a car.

While Torremolinos is not ideal, I do commend their effort to really clean things up. The fact that there are only a couple of 'British' Pubs left has really been a major factor in this effort as highlighted in this 2012 article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2136202/Torremolinos-Spain-tourism-Tidied-resort-number-bargain-sun.html

The fact that it is easy accessible, with frequent trains and busses, is probably the only reason that it may be on the list of 'some' cruise passengers that are looking for a beach day without a car.

Yes - the beaches at Torremolinos are very clean and easily accessible for anyone wanting a beach day (and what is wrong with that?); and the Tapas bars or beachfront Chiringuitos are well worth sampling.

We hope to be on a cruise that gives us two days in Malaga next fall. One of which we would love to walk about M; the other go to Alhambra. But the cruise shore excursion description states Alhambra tour as strenuous. How accurate is this?

I have a bit of a do with a silly knee but can def wlk though slowly.

How does one access reliable, private tours from ship port to Granada and back?

We hope to be on a cruise that gives us two days in Malaga next fall. One of which we would love to walk about M; the other go to Alhambra. But the cruise shore excursion description states Alhambra tour as strenuous. How accurate is this?

I have a bit of a do with a silly knee but can def wlk though slowly.

How does one access reliable, private tours from ship port to Granada and back?

Viatour offer a well recommended trip to the Alhambra picking you up at your cruise ship - see http://www.viator.com/tours/Malaga/Malaga-Shore-Excursion-Private-Granada-Day-Trip-including-Alhambra-and-Generalife-Gardens/d956-2140PRTAGPGRANADA

HOWEVER - there are many steps at the Alhambra and these can be problematic for anyone with mobility issues so your cruise shore excursion of strenuous is quite accurate. Organised excursions generally go round the Palace as a group, and don' t tend to linger, so you may find it a little difficult to keep up.

In the gardens you should be fine and, although you would have to enter the Nasrid Palaces (the ticketed area that you have a set entry time for) with your group, once inside you could let your group wander ahead and go at your own pace using one of the very informative audio guides.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

We will be in Malaga in December on a Sunday. I've seen random posts (which I can't find now) about many things being closed on a Sunday. We are in port from 9am-7pm so we have a long day. Will the normal sights still be open? If things are open do they close earlier? This will be the last stop on our cruise so I think we may prefer walking around versus a tour. I know I didn't have any specific questions (other than stuff being opened on Sunday) but any suggestions would be appreciated!

(I did read that the Picasso Museum is free after 230pm on Sunday. Is that still true?)

Kelly