Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Lars,

How would you get to Westerhaus Farm from Geringer. Is their a bus? Taxi?

Thank you,

Robyn

Robyn - The easiest would be to take a taxi or rent a car. You could take a taxi up and walk down...

You could also walk up but it would easily take you 1 hr. It will be strenuous as its only uphill.

A option would be to take the hop on/off and ask if the could stop at "Utsikten Hotel" which is close to where the side road to Westeraas farm is. You would have to walk the last 1 -2 kilometers to the farm.

If you decide on the taxi I would suggest you book it in advance.

Geiranger Taxi is one company. Though you would have to confirm with the taxi company how much the price for a car to Westeraas would be, I woul think approx the same as for Flydalsjuvet...NOK 700 for 1-4 persons.

info@geirangertaxi.no

http://www.geirangertaxi.no/nb-NO/Default.aspx

There is a regular bus service which leaves from Geiranger village at 0940 -1240 - 1435 with return at 1150 - 1415 - 1620.

Note: there are no scheduled stop at "Utsikten Hotel" so you must ask the driver to let you off. To get on the bus again stand by the hotel and wave like a crazy person:D

These bus times are valid from June 21.

I would not recommend a bus for going down as there might be delays etc.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Lars,

We are going to be on the 24 July 2014 sailing of Infinity. We will be calling on Geiranger and Bergen. I am starting to read your info. Tanks for your input. :)

Hi Ed, great news.:)

Tell me if there is anything you would like to know.

Hi Karen:) Check your mail.

Lars

Such a nice video I found through the file you sent. Thanks again.

Lars how much would a taxi be to the Lighthouse at Alnes, it said it was a 15 minute drive.

I saw a RCL excursion that covers the Sunmore Museum , Stave Church and the Aksala lookout. These are sights that I would like to see, how easy can I cover these on my own? Still time for the Lighthouse?

Thanks, Karen

Such a nice video I found through the file you sent. Thanks again.

Lars how much would a taxi be to the Lighthouse at Alnes, it said it was a 15 minute drive.

I saw a RCL excursion that covers the Sunmore Museum , Stave Church and the Aksala lookout. These are sights that I would like to see, how easy can I cover these on my own? Still time for the Lighthouse?

Thanks, Karen

The lighthouse at Alnes is 20-25 minutes from Alesund.

A taxi using Ålesund Taxi would cost for 1 hour including 15 minutes wait at Alnes:

booking@taxiformidling.no

4 passasjerer NOK 685.- (approx $100)

8 passasjerer NOK 1050.-

11 passasjerer NOK 1375.-

16 passasjerer NOK 1900.-

You can cover all the things you want to see using the hop on/of bus as it covers all the main sights.

Here is a link to the bus including route map.

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tours/norway/alesund.htm

route:

Stop 1 - Cruise Terminal

Stop 2 - Sunnmøre Museum

Stop 3 - Fjellstua

Stop 4 - Rica Parken Hotel

Stop 5 - Tourist information

Stop 6 - Dronning Sonjas Plass / City Center

Stop 7 - The Art Nouveau Centre / City Center

Stop 8 - Ålesund Fisheries Museum & Clarion Bryggen Hotel

Stop 9 - Ålesund Church

Stop 10 - Ålesund Aquarium / Atlanterhavsparken

The price pp $36,-. The ticket can be purchased online.

Karen, there are no Stave Church (wooden church) in Ålesund. You might mean Borgund Church close to Sunnmøre open air Museum or Ålesund Church in town??

Edited by I-Cruiser

Yes it is the Borgund church. Is it doable on my own.

We usually DIY but this Alesund highlight tour 71.00 seems to hit what we want.

Also Lars do you know what the cruise in and out of Alesund will be like for us . We are in port 7am-5pm on May 21/14. Wondering if we need to wake up extra early or if we sail in and out the same way should we take a later dinner to see the sights?

Thanks, Karen

Yes it is the Borgund church. Is it doable on my own.

We usually DIY but this Alesund highlight tour 71.00 seems to hit what we want.

Also Lars do you know what the cruise in and out of Alesund will be like for us . We are in port 7am-5pm on May 21/14. Wondering if we need to wake up extra early or if we sail in and out the same way should we take a later dinner to see the sights?

Thanks, Karen

To do the Church and Sunnmøre Museum is doable on your own. Those to sights are only a 5 minutes walk apart.

You will cruise in/out the same way. I am not sure how long the sail out will take but I would think 40 minutes.

I always prefer early morning sail ins. To me the silence, the nature, the calm water is sort of magical.

I link a map. I hope it works. zoom in/out and you will be able to see the Fjords to Geiranger...

https://www.google.no/maps/preview/place/Hessa/@62.4631506,6.1285329,11z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x4616da2e797a1a1f:0x1cff473eba4b2f

Hello again

My husband wonders if only Norwegian Krone are accepted in shops etc. When we were in Oslo we seem to remember that some shops accepted Euros but we might be getting muddled up.

Also you have mentioned boat trips. I love the sound of the Viking ship. Can you give me any more information on this please?

Hello again

My husband wonders if only Norwegian Krone are accepted in shops etc. When we were in Oslo we seem to remember that some shops accepted Euros but we might be getting muddled up.

Also you have mentioned boat trips. I love the sound of the Viking ship. Can you give me any more information on this please?

Yes, I would only use NOK. Some shops might take £,$ and € but you will get a terrible rate.

Best thing is to change before you go or withdraw cash from the cash machines.

Cards are accepted everywhere and probably the best options for purchases.

There is a Viking Ship tour in Geiranger.

Its an 1 hour trip with a guide. You sail parts of the Geiranger fjord.

The tour operates daily from June 1 until August 31. I

10.00,11.30, 13.00, 14,30;16.00.

The guide will hand out helmets, swards, shields and viking clothes.

Its does sound like fun to do:)

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/Viking-Ship

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hi Ed, great news.:)

Tell me if there is anything you would like to know.

We were in Geiranger a few years ago, and just walked around. We have never been to Bergen. Any suggestions for just a few hours in each port. :)

Hi Lars

I am going to book the hop on hop off bus Panarama . Would you know if it possible for them to drop off near Westeras Farm as we would like to walk to the Losta lookout?

Or do you have a better suggestion for a day in Geiranger?

Thanks again, Karen

You would need to ask the driver. I cant see why they wont let you off at the farm as they stop at Flydalsjuvet a few minutes away.

You will have to leave the bus at least 1-2 kilometers from Westerås farm and follow the small road/path to the farm.

I think this will make for a very enjoyable day.:)

Hi Lars

I am going to book the hop on hop off bus Panarama . Would you know if it possible for them to drop off near Westeras Farm as we would like to walk to the Losta lookout?

Or do you have a better suggestion for a day in Geiranger?

Thanks again, Karen

You would need to ask the driver. I cant see why they wont let you off at the farm as they stop at Flydalsjuvet a few minutes away.

You will have to leave the bus at least 1-2 kilometers from Westerås farm and follow the small road/path to the farm.

I think this will make for a very enjoyable day.:)

We were in Geiranger a few years ago, and just walked around. We have never been to Bergen. Any suggestions for just a few hours in each port. :)

Ed - In Geiranger you have lots of options.

You might want to take the hop on/off bus or a ships tour to Flydalsjuvet viewpoint and Mt. Dalsnibba.

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/Hop-on-Hop-off-Buss-Rute-Kart-2

For me this is the highlights of Geiranger.

There are a few options to do something fun on the fjord either by RIB or Vikingship.

You can also visit Westerås farm for lunch. The farm sits high atop in the hills of Geiranger. The easiest way to get there is by taxi.

If you didn't do so last time you visited you should pay a visit to the chocolate shop (at the pedestrian road) All chocolates are handmade and they use only fresh local ingredients.

I am not to familiar with Bergen but what I have done a few times is to take the Fløyenbanen Funicular.

Departure point is close to Bryggen warf and the fish market (attractions in their own rights)

The funicular takes you to Mt. Fløyen viewpoint. From there you have great views of Bergen.

The ride will take no more than 10 minutes and cost NOK 85,. pp.

Lars,

Thanks for your help. :)

Anytime, just let me know.

The Infinity might offer an overland tour from Hellesylt to Geiranger. They have past years.

This will be a full day tour visiting some amazing places and nature. It will include a stop at Mt. Dalsnibba.

I know Garry and Bob has done this tour.

To do the Church and Sunnmøre Museum is doable on your own. Those to sights are only a 5 minutes walk apart.

You will cruise in/out the same way. I am not sure how long the sail out will take but I would think 40 minutes.

I always prefer early morning sail ins. To me the silence, the nature, the calm water is sort of magical.

I link a map. I hope it works. zoom in/out and you will be able to see the Fjords to Geiranger...

https://www.google.no/maps/preview/place/Hessa/@62.4631506,6.1285329,11z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x4616da2e797a1a1f:0x1cff473eba4b2f

Hi

I contacted the tourist site that was on the PDF file and they gave me this link for tours and prices in Alesund.

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en/WHAT-TO-DO/sightseeing/

Looks like most tours start in June, I have sent an email to see if there is anything available in May.

Karen

Hi

I contacted the tourist site that was on the PDF file and they gave me this link for tours and prices in Alesund.

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en/WHAT-TO-DO/sightseeing/

Looks like most tours start in June, I have sent an email to see if there is anything available in May.

Karen

Some tours in the area starts May 1, May 15, June 16 etc.

The hop on/off bus and the tourist "train" is said to operate all days when there are ships in port.

Thanks again for your help. Unfortunately we are there in early May so the Viking ship presumably won't be running. Norwegian Krone sounds like our best option.

I am so sorry the Viking ship will not start before June 1.

Some tours - the bus tours to the Mt and viewpoints - are operating on selected dates in May. I would presume when there are ships in port.

This is really the downside of cruising so early in the season. Only a few tours will operate.

Viking ship or not, I am sure you will enjoy the spectacular scenery.