Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

I-Cruiser - I would be interested in that PDF file. Can you please forward to my email address? salcarr1@windstream.net

Thank you in advance for your time and efforts.

Kind regards - Linda Carr

Linda I was going to ask I-Cruiser if I could get a copy of that walking guide but I see they are away at the moment. Don't like to put my email address on here and can't pm you. If I drop you an email could you send it to me? We go next week and I'd love to take it with us Thanks Emma :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone:)

Back home after 2 wonderful weeks in Cuba.

Ready to answer your questions:):)

Lars,

Welcome back from Cuba, and thank you in advance for your assistance. I am traveling with 3 family members on the Celebrity Eclipse in July. Currently we have a reservation for the "Path of the Trolls" trip out of Alesund. We also have a bus trip the day before to Mt. Dalsnibba out of Geiranger. The following day, we are taking a bus to Briksdal Glacier out of Olden.

I have been reading that a number of people have really enjoyed walking tours around Alesund (seems to be the highest rated "town" we are seeing), and have been debating on whether it is worth $600+ (based on Celebrity pricing) to do the Trollstigen. We do enjoy sightseeing, but I'm wondering if the sights on the path of the trolls are markedly different from what we would see on our trips before and after (or whether in fact the trips will overlap at all). I'm also wondering if you have ever traveled the trollstigen on a large bus, and if so how did you enjoy it? It seems that given the timing, we will have to choose either the Trollstigen or spending time within Alesund, as the available hours do not allow for both. Any insight from you on whether either of these is a "can't miss" would be helpful. Thank you very much.

Hi everyone:)

Back home after 2 wonderful weeks in Cuba.

Ready to answer your questions:):)

Wellcome back!

Believe you enjoyed this two week escape to the Caribbean. I visited Cuba a few years ago. It's a beautiful island, friendly and always smiling people and above all - cuban music and mojito.:p

And now back to the cold Norway (I mean just the weather and temperature). In July we'll be on board of Celebrity Infinity on a cruise to Norvegian fjords (very much looking forward). Mainly, I've made it through most of your posts. They were very, very helpful.

Our stop in Alesund is scheduled from 10a.m. to 10 p.m. I have already booked a rent-a car (Avis) for the DIY trip to the Trollstigen. Based on route you proposed in one of your previous posts, I thought to go via Andalsnes on the way back to Alesund, so that we wouldn't do the same road twice. Due to the rented car, also think, it would be reasonable to stop (on the way up or upon return) at Aksla view point. On the bases of your experience I wonder, how long it would take us this circular journey? I'm an architect and would really like to spent some time walking around the city (in July days are looong). Would it be better (shorter) to return by the same route back and maybe have a little more time to explore the city?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,

Ingrid

Lars,

Welcome back from Cuba, and thank you in advance for your assistance. I am traveling with 3 family members on the Celebrity Eclipse in July. Currently we have a reservation for the "Path of the Trolls" trip out of Alesund. We also have a bus trip the day before to Mt. Dalsnibba out of Geiranger. The following day, we are taking a bus to Briksdal Glacier out of Olden.

I have been reading that a number of people have really enjoyed walking tours around Alesund (seems to be the highest rated "town" we are seeing), and have been debating on whether it is worth $600+ (based on Celebrity pricing) to do the Trollstigen. We do enjoy sightseeing, but I'm wondering if the sights on the path of the trolls are markedly different from what we would see on our trips before and after (or whether in fact the trips will overlap at all). I'm also wondering if you have ever traveled the trollstigen on a large bus, and if so how did you enjoy it? It seems that given the timing, we will have to choose either the Trollstigen or spending time within Alesund, as the available hours do not allow for both. Any insight from you on whether either of these is a "can't miss" would be helpful. Thank you very much.

Thank you:)

To me the Path of the Trolls are a wonderful and spectacular trip. I suspect the tour will stop at the Gubrandsjuvet in Valldal, the viewpoint at the top of the Path of the Trolls, drive the path and return via Aandalsnes??

$600+ is expensive an if you were to rent a car you would pay under half the amount. You could do the tour by car in a total of 6 hours. This way it will give you some time to explore Ålesund.

I have done the Path of the Trolls in a bus many years ago and it was breathtaking if not a bit scary.:D The road is narrow and for most part its a one lane. It will make for a memorable day.

From Ålesund to Valldal the bus will take the road which follows the Storfjord. This is the same fjord as you will be cruising in/out of Geiranger.

I am sure you will find it interesting to see the fjord from a different angle as so to speak.

The tours you have booked In Geiranger and Olden are the best choices and you get to see the highlights of these places.

Lars:)

Wellcome back!

Believe you enjoyed this two week escape to the Caribbean. I visited Cuba a few years ago. It's a beautiful island, friendly and always smiling people and above all - cuban music and mojito.:p

And now back to the cold Norway (I mean just the weather and temperature). In July we'll be on board of Celebrity Infinity on a cruise to Norvegian fjords (very much looking forward). Mainly, I've made it through most of your posts. They were very, very helpful.

Our stop in Alesund is scheduled from 10a.m. to 10 p.m. I have already booked a rent-a car (Avis) for the DIY trip to the Trollstigen. Based on route you proposed in one of your previous posts, I thought to go via Andalsnes on the way back to Alesund, so that we wouldn't do the same road twice. Due to the rented car, also think, it would be reasonable to stop (on the way up or upon return) at Aksla view point. On the bases of your experience I wonder, how long it would take us this circular journey? I'm an architect and would really like to spent some time walking around the city (in July days are looong). Would it be better (shorter) to return by the same route back and maybe have a little more time to explore the city?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,

Ingrid

Hi Ingrid - Cuba is a strange but lovely place. We usually go every second year to visit family.

Love the food and the Mojito. The new thing was Mojito Frappe...Yummi..:) and of course the 15/25 years old Rum.

Embargo or not I never drank so much coca cola (or as we called it: a shot of capitalism:D) in my life and I don't even like the stuff:D:D..well well, go figure.

To answer your question:

You will have plenty of time to do the viewpoint at Aksla before you venture out to Trollstigen (Path of the Trolls). The only reason I say before is because of the time you need to deliver the car back.

The trip from Ålesund to Trollstigen will take you approx 2.5 hrs driving time.

Driving the Path itself I would allow approx 30 minutes including a few photo stops.

To allow for photo stops along the way and a stop at Gudbrandjuvet and Aksla/Fjellstua I would calculate 1 hr extra.

This will make for a very enjoyable day with a total of approx 4 hrs.

Driving back the same way I would calculate approx 3 hours. This will be a total of approx 7 hours driving back the same way. Remember I have given you lots of learoom so I would think you could easily do it in approx 6-6,5 hrs.

PS! I have not calculated a detour to view the Trollveggen/Trollwall Mountain. If you were to do this I would calculate 1 extra hr from the "bottom" of the Path of the Trolls/Trollstigen.

If you were to do a circle and return to Ålesund via Åndalsnes and drive along the Romsdalfjord/Vestnes the total driving time would not be that much more than the return in the example above.

From the the "bottom" of the Path of the Trolls to Ålesund with a stop at the Trollveggen, time for lunch and photostops I would calculate 3.5 hrs.

A total day of approx 7,5-8 hrs.

Remember: I have calculated a very relaxing day with lots of stops and time for lunch. If you wanted to you could omit some stops/lunch to make it faster and return to Ålesund earlier.

I have done the circle trip with only a 2 stops, 20 minutes at Gudbrandjuvet, no stop at the top of the Path of the Trolls, lunch at Trollveggen and 2 short stops along the Romsdalsfjord in less than 6 hrs. This was lots of driving and very little stops to enjoy. (It was bad weather that day :D)...When we do these daytrips in nice weather we normally use 7-8 hours.

Edited by I-Cruiser

I -Cruiser your help would be appreciated.

Thinking of using Fjord Service for a combo panoramic bus tour and Fjord cruise in Geiranger- your thoughts? any other ideas for that port?

Our schedule is included

Any help with the other ports is appreciated

Jul 17, Thursday Hellesylt/Geiranger, Norway » 8 am 5 pm

Jul 18, Friday Cruising the Coast of Norway »

Jul 19, Saturday Alta, Norway » 10 am 9 pm

Jul 20, Sunday Honningsvåg, North Cape, Norway » 8 am 6 pm

Jul 21, Monday Tromsø, Norway » 8 am 5 pm

Jul 22, Tuesday Leknes/Lofoten, Norway » 8 am 1 pm

Jul 23, Wednesday Ålesund, Norway » 1 pm 8 pm

Jul 24, Thursday Bergen, Norway » 8 am 5 pm

Jul 25, Friday Kristiansand, Norway » 9 am 6 pm

Jul 26, Saturday Oslo, Norway » 7 am 6 pm

Jul 27, Sunday Skagen, Denmark » 8 am 5 pm

Jul 28, Monday Copenhagen, Denmark »

I -Cruiser your help would be appreciated.

Thinking of using Fjord Service for a combo panoramic bus tour and Fjord cruise in Geiranger- your thoughts? any other ideas for that port?

Our schedule is included

Any help with the other ports is appreciated

Jul 17, Thursday Hellesylt/Geiranger, Norway » 8 am 5 pm

Jul 18, Friday Cruising the Coast of Norway »

Jul 19, Saturday Alta, Norway » 10 am 9 pm

Jul 20, Sunday Honningsvåg, North Cape, Norway » 8 am 6 pm

Visit the North Cape plateau....

Jul 21, Monday Tromsø, Norway » 8 am 5 pm

Jul 22, Tuesday Leknes/Lofoten, Norway » 8 am 1 pm

Jul 23, Wednesday Ålesund, Norway » 1 pm 8 pm

Explore the town. Its small and compact so easy to do.

Take a hop on/off bus or the tourist train to the viewpoint of Mt. Aksla/Fjellstua. You can also walk the over 400 steps up to the viewpoint.

Jul 24, Thursday Bergen, Norway » 8 am 5 pm

Jul 25, Friday Kristiansand, Norway » 9 am 6 pm

Jul 26, Saturday Oslo, Norway » 7 am 6 pm

Jul 27, Sunday Skagen, Denmark » 8 am 5 pm

Jul 28, Monday Copenhagen, Denmark »

A panoramic bus tour to Mt. Dalsnibba, The Eagle Rd (Ørneveien), Flydalsjuvet viewpoint would give you the highlights of Geiranger or a "best of" if you wish.

A tour on the fjord with the sightseeing boat or a private boat with guide?

Both will provide commentaries about what you are seeing along the fjord???..To the view the waterfalls more indepth and upclose??...To learn more about the farms along the fjord??.

This is a very good idea if you want to know more about the Geiranger Fjord and Geiranger village. Remember, your ship will cruise along all the waterfalls and farms.

Some ships provide commentaries (usually the 5 star ships) but by far all.

A stop (for lunch) at Westerås farm would make for a stunning setting for lunch. Their cafe is in a converted barn. They also have outside seating which provides fantastic views of Geiranger.

I am not sure what to do in your other ports except for Ålesund.

See my answers in "red".

I am sure if you start a thread about the other ports you will get lots of answers.

Also, there are plenty of information about these ports at this forum already.

Thank you for your quick reply

Here is the tour info I am considering

» GEIRANGER COMBINATIONS » 1 Fjord & mountain combo

GEIRANGER COMBINATIONS

With our SCENIC FJORD AND MOUNTAIN combination package you will explore the Geirangerfjord by bus from the Mount Dalsnibba viewpoint and at with our local sightseeing boat.

More information to each of the products you find on our webside under the left menue.

Inclusive: Mountain Highlight Bus tour to Mount Dalsnibba and Fjord sightseeing with M/S Geirangerfjord

Timing Nr.1: 09:30 - 11:45 Bus to Mt. Dalsnibba

14:30 - 16:00 Fjord sightseeing with M/S Geirangerfjord

Timing Nr.2: 09:30 - 11:30 Fjord sightseeing with M/S Geirangerfjord

12:30 - 14:30 Bus to Mt. Dalsnibba

Price: 405 Nok adult (you save: 50 Nok 260+195=455 Nok normal price)

This special offer is only value from 22.juni - 31. august 2014

Prices apply for adult only. Child or group discount under each product.

Hi I-Cruiser. Thanks for your reply re clothes to wear in May. I am still mithering about clothing required so hope you can help again. The temp in England currently is around 6 degrees centigrade which we consider quite cold. I know temps vary in Norway but what could we expect in early May? Don't want to pack too much but want to be comfortable. Also I notice in one of your other posts that the Road of the Trolls might be closed then. What are the options for us to get the most of our trip. Our ports are Bergen, Flam, Geiranger, Alesund, and Stavanger. I am so excited. It must be fabulous to live in such a beautiful place.

Thank you for your quick reply

Here is the tour info I am considering

» GEIRANGER COMBINATIONS » 1 Fjord & mountain combo

GEIRANGER COMBINATIONS

With our SCENIC FJORD AND MOUNTAIN combination package you will explore the Geirangerfjord by bus from the Mount Dalsnibba viewpoint and at with our local sightseeing boat.

More information to each of the products you find on our webside under the left menue.

Inclusive: Mountain Highlight Bus tour to Mount Dalsnibba and Fjord sightseeing with M/S Geirangerfjord

Timing Nr.1: 09:30 - 11:45 Bus to Mt. Dalsnibba

14:30 - 16:00 Fjord sightseeing with M/S Geirangerfjord

Timing Nr.2: 09:30 - 11:30 Fjord sightseeing with M/S Geirangerfjord

12:30 - 14:30 Bus to Mt. Dalsnibba

Price: 405 Nok adult (you save: 50 Nok 260+195=455 Nok normal price)

This special offer is only value from 22.juni - 31. august 2014

Prices apply for adult only. Child or group discount under each product.

I thought it was the MS Geirangerfjord.:) Well, you will get a more in depth experience of the fjord with commentaries along the way. But, know that the sightseeing boat will take the same route as your ship.

The boat trip will absolutely be worth it.

Link to a map of the route of the sightseeing boat:

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/upload/images/2014-Boat-tours.jpg

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/upload/pdf/Kart.pdf

I found the tours available from Fjord Service.

It looks like the bus goes straight to Mt. Dalsnibba with no stop at Flydalsjuvet.

I am inclined to say that the Panoramic Duo tour with the sightseeing boat and the hop on/off bus is just as good.

You will get the Fludalsjuvet and Eagle bend/road viewpoint.

Of course the landscape is just as stunning for both the tours.

PS! if its a rainy and foggy day you will not see anything from Mt. Dalsnibba as it will be covered in clouds.

Then you will see more with the Panoramic Duo tour.

But, no one knows what the weather will be like.....:)

Hi I-Cruiser. Thanks for your reply re clothes to wear in May. I am still mithering about clothing required so hope you can help again. The temp in England currently is around 6 degrees centigrade which we consider quite cold. I know temps vary in Norway but what could we expect in early May? Don't want to pack too much but want to be comfortable. Also I notice in one of your other posts that the Road of the Trolls might be closed then. What are the options for us to get the most of our trip. Our ports are Bergen, Flam, Geiranger, Alesund, and Stavanger. I am so excited. It must be fabulous to live in such a beautiful place.

Clothes are important:D and I know all about packing to much.

Having lived in the UK I find the weather to be very similar. Our temperatures right now are also 6C.

The average temps in May are around 8 - 9 C according to the statistics. The highest temperature of 23C was measured May 20 last year.

I would still recommend a fleece jacket, a wool jumper. Dress in layers and you will be comfortable.

It will not be necessarily with scarf, gloves and skiing hats. This would be a good idea if you live in warmer climate.

If the tourist roads to Mt. Dalsnibba and Path of the Trolls will be open in early May all depends on how much snow we get this winter. Until now we hardly have had any snow at all. But, with 3 months left of winter anything can happen:)

You still have lots of options as to what to do in the ports. The only sights off limit would be the Path of the Trolls and Mt. Dalsnibba.

In Geiranger you can explore the village. A visit to the fjordsenter to see and learn about the life in Geiranger would be an option.

Take the hop on/off bus to the viewpoints of Flyalsjuvet and Eagle bend. To some fjord sightseeing either by sightseeing boat, RIB or Viking ship. Even kayaking would be an adventure.

:)

In Ålesund you should visit the Mt. Aklsa viewpoint. Explore the town an visit the Ålesund Church, Apoteker gaten and Molo veien to the lighthouse (now a hotelroom), take lots of pictures of Brosundet, a visit to Ålesund muesum.

If its nice weather visit Sunnmøre openir Museum.....

We enjoy living in Norway. Its a nice place to live and everyone and everything is really well taken care off.

Also having the beautiful nature is an added bonus. All these things sure makes 5 months of winter and a rainy summer worth it:)...That, and being able to go away 3-4 times a year:D

Lars

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. When we visited Scandinavia and Russia last year with our two boys (18yrs and 23yrs old) I told my husband if I was younger I would love to move to Norway. I could imagine the wonderful outdoor life my children would have had there:) x

Hi Ingrid - Cuba is a strange but lovely place. We usually go every second year to visit family.

Love the food and the Mojito. The new thing was Mojito Frappe...Yummi..:) and of course the 15/25 years old Rum.

Embargo or not I never drank so much coca cola (or as we called it: a shot of capitalism:D) in my life and I don't even like the stuff:D:D..well well, go figure.

To answer your question:

You will have plenty of time to do the viewpoint at Aksla before you venture out to Trollstigen (Path of the Trolls). The only reason I say before is because of the time you need to deliver the car back.

The trip from Ålesund to Trollstigen will take you approx 2.5 hrs driving time.

Driving the Path itself I would allow approx 30 minutes including a few photo stops.

To allow for photo stops along the way and a stop at Gudbrandjuvet and Aksla/Fjellstua I would calculate 1 hr extra.

This will make for a very enjoyable day with a total of approx 4 hrs.

Driving back the same way I would calculate approx 3 hours. This will be a total of approx 7 hours driving back the same way. Remember I have given you lots of learoom so I would think you could easily do it in approx 6-6,5 hrs.

PS! I have not calculated a detour to view the Trollveggen/Trollwall Mountain. If you were to do this I would calculate 1 extra hr from the "bottom" of the Path of the Trolls/Trollstigen.

If you were to do a circle and return to Ålesund via Åndalsnes and drive along the Romsdalfjord/Vestnes the total driving time would not be that much more than the return in the example above.

From the the "bottom" of the Path of the Trolls to Ålesund with a stop at the Trollveggen, time for lunch and photostops I would calculate 3.5 hrs.

A total day of approx 7,5-8 hrs.

Remember: I have calculated a very relaxing day with lots of stops and time for lunch. If you wanted to you could omit some stops/lunch to make it faster and return to Ålesund earlier.

I have done the circle trip with only a 2 stops, 20 minutes at Gudbrandjuvet, no stop at the top of the Path of the Trolls, lunch at Trollveggen and 2 short stops along the Romsdalsfjord in less than 6 hrs. This was lots of driving and very little stops to enjoy. (It was bad weather that day :D)...When we do these daytrips in nice weather we normally use 7-8 hours.

Thank you, I-cruiser. Very helpful, as always.

Yes, Cuba is really something special and a little bit different in a way.

Hope to return there someday.

But Mojito frappe! Wov! That would be a great temptation for me. How do they make it? :rolleyes: Is it with the shaker (like Nescaffe frappe) or with somekind of blender? Over the years I have become a real expert in the preparation of mojito (at least my friends say so). In the Summer there is always fresh mint in my garden.

I'll be back with some more questions for you if you don't mind.

Thanks again, have a nice Sunday.

Ingrid

Thank you, I-cruiser. Very helpful, as always.

Yes, Cuba is really something special and a little bit different in a way.

Hope to return there someday.

But Mojito frappe! Wov! That would be a great temptation for me. How do they make it? :rolleyes: Is it with the shaker (like Nescaffe frappe) or with somekind of blender? Over the years I have become a real expert in the preparation of mojito (at least my friends say so). In the Summer there is always fresh mint in my garden.

I'll be back with some more questions for you if you don't mind.

Thanks again, have a nice Sunday.

Ingrid

I am glad to help :)

Yes..It is out of this word!! :)

You make it with a blender.

First lime juice, mint and sugar (some water) in a blender.

You can pass the mint etc through a cloth to get rid of all residue but its not a must.

Put it back in the blender and frappe with the rum.

I am sure if you try to make it (and I think you will :D) it will be a huge success.

Lars

Edited by I-Cruiser

Thank you:)

To me the Path of the Trolls are a wonderful and spectacular trip. I suspect the tour will stop at the Gubrandsjuvet in Valldal, the viewpoint at the top of the Path of the Trolls, drive the path and return via Aandalsnes??

$600+ is expensive an if you were to rent a car you would pay under half the amount. You could do the tour by car in a total of 6 hours. This way it will give you some time to explore Ålesund.

I have done the Path of the Trolls in a bus many years ago and it was breathtaking if not a bit scary.:D The road is narrow and for most part its a one lane. It will make for a memorable day.

From Ålesund to Valldal the bus will take the road which follows the Storfjord. This is the same fjord as you will be cruising in/out of Geiranger.

I am sure you will find it interesting to see the fjord from a different angle as so to speak.

The tours you have booked In Geiranger and Olden are the best choices and you get to see the highlights of these places.

Thanks Lars!

Maybe asked beroer, but we visit Alesund on sunday. How is it in the city when shops are closed

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Norway is a strange country when it comes to when shops can keep open.

As of now no shops except for a few grocery shops are allowed to keep open on Sundays.

I know that for the summer season 2014 in Ålesund a bill was passed saying shops can keep open Sundays between 13-17.

If the shops owners actually will open their shops is another matter as labor on Sunday is extremely expensive.

This applies to Ålesund only and might be different in other towns.