Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Hi! We'll be in Alesund in mid September - any idea if the HOHO bus runs that late even though a ship is in?

We want to get to Mt. Aklsa and its viewpoint ... what is the best way you recommend?

The bus company says it will run every day there are ships in port.

The hop on/off bus is a easy and convenient way to get to Mt. Aksla.

If you are up for it you can walk the 418 steps up to the viewpoint:)

Hi Karen:)

If its cloudy in Bergen you will not have a great view from any of the viewpoints or mountains.

Floybanen is the easiest to get to from where you ship docks.

The most dramatic is the Ulrikken cable car which takes you to the top of Ulrikken which is the largest mountain in Bergen. For sure you will have the best views of Bergen and the archipelago from there.

This will be unbelievable for sure.

Note, Fantoft Stavchurch only keeps open from May 15 to September 15 from 1030 am to 6 pm. The church burned down in 1992 so what you will see is a replica of the original from year 1150.

For sure it will be stunning to watch but you will "only" see a copy. I would pass on this and rather do something else or spend some more time elsewhere.

I am not familiar with the bus routes in Bergen so can not answer. Public transport in Norway is reliable and comfortable.

I love history so the Hanseatic museum will be interesting to visit. The museum is at Bryggen which is close to where your ship docks.

The bus company says it will run every day there are ships in port.

The hop on/off bus is a easy and convenient way to get to Mt. Aksla.

If you are up for it you can walk the 418 steps up to the viewpoint:)

Thank you. :) I believe we'll do the bus and just randomly explore, taking photos is our main priority!

Thank you. :) I believe we'll do the bus and just randomly explore, taking photos is our main priority!

Ålesund is a very compact town so the bus is great for getting to Mt. Aksla and the open air museum.

Since you enjoy taking photos you should for sure visit Ålesund Church. Visit Apotekergaten (street) which is close to Brosundet bridge and the "canal". Also a favorite is Noloveien (street) with its quaint little houses and shops. Moloveien also takes you to the lighthouse (now a hotelroom) for some different views of Ålesund and the harbour.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lars

great thread :) thank you so much

would also like the PDF if you would be so kind to send it

patrice AT sysres DOT net

we booked yesterday 21 days on the Rotterdam - leaving July 26 - am starting to plan our cruise - we have always wanted to see Norway and the Arctic circle (being we have been to the Antarctic, and Dave grew up in Alaska)

is there any possible way to see the Atlantic Road? I am not sure if it would even be close to anywhere we are going (Oslo, Kristiansand, Staveanger, Flam, Alesund, Trondheim, Toromso, Honningsvaq, Molde, Geiranger, Bergen)

thanks in advance for your most generous help & advice

Patrice

Hi Patrice:)

Congrats on booking 21 days. You will have a great cruise with some amazing scenery.

You are in luck. The Atlantic road can be reached from the port of Molde.

The Rotterdam should have tours to the area.

The Atlantic road is about 50 minutes drive from Molde. The Atlantic road itself is an engineering marvel thought my thought the first time I drove it was; is this it:D

The second and third time it was more impressive.

If you decide to go you should stop by the fishing village of Bud. Its a quaint little town with some spectacular views of the ocean.

You have the option to explore The Ergan coastal fort with its world war 2 history.

I am not sure if any private tour companies organizes tours to the Atlantic Road.

thanks Lars - greetings from sunny Ecuador :)

You are right the ship does have one so for now have booked with them - we can see if we find something private would like to be in a small vehicle rather than a bus (not sure if that is what we would be on but I am thinking that would be it)

have not been able to find any private tour companies or guides as yet - but then have not looked really hard as just booked it

thanks so much!!!

P

Edited by ptsaint

thanks Lars - greetings from sunny Ecuador :)

You are right the ship does have one so for now have booked with them - we can see if we find something private would like to be in a small vehicle rather than a bus (not sure if that is what we would be on but I am thinking that would be it)

have not been able to find any private tour companies or guides as yet - but then have not looked really hard as just booked it

thanks so much!!!

P

Sun sounds good right now:)

I have not heard about any private companies. The option is to rent a car or do a tour by taxi.

http://www.visitmolde.com/en/The-Atlantic-Road/

You might want to try this email address. They might be able to help..

post@mrtaxi.no

Sun sounds good right now:)

I have not heard about any private companies. The option is to rent a car or do a tour by taxi.

http://www.visitmolde.com/en/The-Atlantic-Road/

You might want to try this email address. They might be able to help..

post@mrtaxi.no

email sent off - thanks Lars ... sending sunshine your way

Patrice

Hi Lars

I received a note from Otternes saying they would be open the day we are in Flam (May 19th). So I am thinking of walking the path along the Fjord, any idea of how long the hike would be?

My plan for Flam would be the train and walking down maybe from Hareina and then taking a hike to Otternes, I thought it was about 4 km. Or would it be easy to get a taxi in Flam. I also read there may be bikes to rent?

Thank again for your help. Karen

Hi

Thank you for all the information and lovely photographs. We have booked on Celebrity Eclipse Fjords cruise 2nd to 10th May (our anniversary on 9th). I am thinking about clothing for the trip and see from your posts that it will still be quite cold. Are we talking thick waterproof coats, fleece with a waterproof on top or a combination or something different? Type of footwear? Will there be snow/ice on the ground? We did Scandinavia and Russia last year and we loved it especially Norway. Can't wait. Will probably be asking lots more question!

Hi Sea Rabbit.... Have you joined the roll call? Not seen your name on their.

Hi Lars

I received a note from Otternes saying they would be open the day we are in Flam (May 19th). So I am thinking of walking the path along the Fjord, any idea of how long the hike would be?

My plan for Flam would be the train and walking down maybe from Hareina and then taking a hike to Otternes, I thought it was about 4 km. Or would it be easy to get a taxi in Flam. I also read there may be bikes to rent?

Thank again for your help. Karen

Karen - sorry it has taken a while to get back to you. I have been busy putting a private tour together for 15-19 :eek:passengers in Warnemunde (Germany) during our Constellation cruise in May.

Good news about Otternes Farm.:)

The walk all depending on how fast you go will take you a total of 2.5 hours (go and back) its about 8 kilometer one way.

I enclose a pdf with very informative information about walks in and around Flåm.

If you haven't seen it I am sure you will find it very exciting.:)

http://www.flamsbrygga.no/upload/fotturkart.pdf

Your plan to hike from Hareina to Flåm then to Otternes is very doable.

You could rent a bike in Flåm and bike to Otternes farm.

This company rent bikes but not sure about the delivery/return details.

http://www.rallarvegen.com/index.php?m=booking&lang=en

Lars

Edited by I-Cruiser

Karen - sorry it has taken a while to get back to you. I have been busy putting a private tour together for 15-19 :eek:passengers in Warnemunde (Germany) during our Constellation cruise in May.

Good news about Otternes Farm.:)

The walk all depending on how fast you go will take you a total of 2.5 hours (go and back) its about 8 kilometer one way.

I enclose a pdf with very informative information about walks in and around Flåm.

If you haven't seen it I am sure you will find it very exciting.:)

http://www.flamsbrygga.no/upload/fotturkart.pdf

Your plan to hike from Hareina to Flåm then to Otternes is very doable.

You could rent a bike in Flåm and bike to Otternes farm.

This company rent bikes but not sure about the delivery/return details.

http://www.rallarvegen.com/index.php?m=booking&lang=en

Lars

Hi Lars

Thanks for the info.

I contacted Otternes and they said the walk would be around 40-45 minutes each way and was 4km on the path. At least I have options.

Thanks , Karen

Lars, thanks for the link to Flam hiking trails. The one to the waterfall looks very enticing. We're planning to take the train excursion through the cruise ship and then spend 3 - 4 hours hiking. Hopefully the weather gods will smile upon us.

Lars, thanks for the link to Flam hiking trails. The one to the waterfall looks very enticing. We're planning to take the train excursion through the cruise ship and then spend 3 - 4 hours hiking. Hopefully the weather gods will smile upon us.

You are welcome :) Fingers crossed for blue skies.

I-Cruiser, could you recommend a place to rent a car in Alesund near the port with flexible cancellation? I've been trying to find one, but I find a lot of places that ask 100% of the price if you cancel 48 hours in advance. Since we are coming by ship and we might possibly miss the port and/or the itinerary can change (happened already), I do not want to be stuck with a car I can't use.

I'm wondering if this is a Dutch thing, because the Dutch site of Europcar states that you start paying cancellation fees at 42!! days in advance, but the international site says that you can cancel up to 2 hours before pick up without fees.

I'd appreciate some help!

cruise_bunnies

I-Cruiser, could you recommend a place to rent a car in Alesund near the port with flexible cancellation? I've been trying to find one, but I find a lot of places that ask 100% of the price if you cancel 48 hours in advance. Since we are coming by ship and we might possibly miss the port and/or the itinerary can change (happened already), I do not want to be stuck with a car I can't use.

I'm wondering if this is a Dutch thing, because the Dutch site of Europcar states that you start paying cancellation fees at 42!! days in advance, but the international site says that you can cancel up to 2 hours before pick up without fees.

I'd appreciate some help!

cruise_bunnies

Avis & Budget are closest to where the ship dock.

Both companies are in the street of: Nedre strandgate 50.

As you exit the gate from the pier take a left and follow the road pass the hotel: Quality Hotel Waterfront (on your left)...Walk toward the shop "Maxbo" on your right....Continue to a Shell/7-11 patrol station on your right.

Its not more than a 5-10 minutes walk.

Regarding cancelation: On the Avis an Budget website it says you can change your booking up to 24 hrs before scheduled pick up time.

At no show there is a NOK 750 fee.

The cancellation policy might differ from Norway and abroad.

Avis & Budget are closest to where the ship dock.

Both companies are in the street of: Nedre strandgate 50.

As you exit the gate from the pier take a left and follow the road pass the hotel: Quality Hotel Waterfront (on your left)...Walk toward the shop "Maxbo" on your right....Continue to a Shell/7-11 patrol station on your right.

Its not more than a 5-10 minutes walk.

Regarding cancelation: On the Avis an Budget website it says you can change your booking up to 24 hrs before scheduled pick up time.

At no show there is a NOK 750 fee.

The cancellation policy might differ from Norway and abroad.

Europcar NL has just confirmed that indeed, they charge cancellation fees, while Europcar Int. just confirmed that they do not. Apparently this is a Dutch thing, so I need to book through the international websites.

Do you know how far the Europcar office is? They offer cancellation up until pick up. Or do you think I can just walk in to pick up a car, even though it's July and I need one for 4 people?

Edited by cruise_bunnies

Europcar NL has just confirmed that indeed, they charge cancellation fees, while Europcar Int. just confirmed that they do not. Apparently this is a Dutch thing, so I need to book through the international websites.

Do you know how far the Europcar office is? They offer cancellation up until pick up. Or do you think I can just walk in to pick up a car, even though it's July and I need one for 4 people?

To walk would take you at least 30 minutes and it would not be easy to find as you dont know the town.

Your best bet would be to take a taxi to their office or check if the deliver at the pier. May rental company does.

I hope this link works. It shows a map where the office is. (Click zoom location at the map)

The ship docks close to the "E136" green sign on the map.

http://www.europcar.com/car-rental-NORWAY-AALESUND.html

Edited by I-Cruiser