Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Taking a taxi wouldn't be very cheap I'm guessing in Norway. Europcar only delivers in the UK.

I am researching other options. Avis NL has cancellation fees up till the complete fee. Sigh. Avis Int. has policies for USA and 3 other countries, but doesn't specify Norway or Holland.

Off to check Budget.

Taking a taxi wouldn't be very cheap I'm guessing in Norway. Europcar only delivers in the UK.

I am researching other options. Avis NL has cancellation fees up till the complete fee. Sigh. Avis Int. has policies for USA and 3 other countries, but doesn't specify Norway or Holland.

Off to check Budget.

You could send an email to Eurocar/Sydsiden in Ålesund to check if they deliver.

The rental office is a Eurocar but the offical name is Sydsiden Bilutleie.

I just checked and they do deliver for a NOK 200 fee.

Here is a contact form. Its in Norwegian only but should be easy to understand.

http://www.sydsidenbilutleie.no/site/index.php/kontakt-oss

or try this email:

stig@sydbil.no

or

elisabeth@sydbil.no

You could send an email to Eurocar/Sydsiden in Ålesund to check if they deliver.

The rental office is a Eurocar but the offical name is Sydsiden Bilutleie.

I just checked and they do deliver for a NOK 200 fee.

Here is a contact form. Its in Norwegian only but should be easy to understand.

http://www.sydsidenbilutleie.no/site/index.php/kontakt-oss

or try this email:

stig@sydbil.no

or

elisabeth@sydbil.no

Thank you so much for your extra help! I just received confirmation from Budget that they charge no cancellation fees, so great! They say you can cancel up to 1 minute before the time! Lolz. :D

I now have 2 good options instead of none and just see what type of car we want and how much kilometers we are going to make - because we wanted to drive up to the Knot and such. The last rental had unlimited KM's, but Budget does not. I shot an e-mail to stig, and see what they say as well.

Edited by cruise_bunnies

• 2 weeks later...

A friend has old me about a trip to a glacier near Stavanger. Our cruise doesn't offer this as an option, Could this be because of our time of travel, 2nd May? Do you know where this is and if it is something we could see? Thanks in advance.

A friend has old me about a trip to a glacier near Stavanger. Our cruise doesn't offer this as an option, Could this be because of our time of travel, 2nd May? Do you know where this is and if it is something we could see? Thanks in advance.

I have heard about the glacier (Breifonn glacier) I am not sure how far the glacier is from Stavanger but it looks like a few hours drive.

The best time to hike is from June to October. The hike is strenuous and there are guided walks. The walks take approx 8 hrs.

I think you are better off seeing glaciers elsewhere as this one here seem to be very out of the way.

Thank you so much for your extra help! I just received confirmation from Budget that they charge no cancellation fees, so great! They say you can cancel up to 1 minute before the time! Lolz. :D

I now have 2 good options instead of none and just see what type of car we want and how much kilometers we are going to make - because we wanted to drive up to the Knot and such. The last rental had unlimited KM's, but Budget does not. I shot an e-mail to stig, and see what they say as well.

I have rented a car from Budget in May 2014. Their office is near the pier. As you stated there are no cancellation fees. I also have unlimited mileage. Price is not cheap:

VW Golf/Toyota auris size: 656 NOK, This includes free milage, standard insurance and tax. (fuel not included)

Toyota avensis sw size: 754 NOK, also including free milage, standard insurance and tax. (fuel not included)

I have rented a car from Budget in May 2014. Their office is near the pier. As you stated there are no cancellation fees. I also have unlimited mileage. Price is not cheap:

VW Golf/Toyota auris size: 656 NOK, This includes free milage, standard insurance and tax. (fuel not included)

Toyota avensis sw size: 754 NOK, also including free milage, standard insurance and tax. (fuel not included)

These prices are not bad at all. A full tank for petrol will cost you about the same amount.

I doubt very much you will use a full tank.....

That is good to know. This is about 3 times the cost in the U.S. so they seemed expensive.

Norway is somewhat costly. Also good to know about the price in the US as I might be driving to/from NYC to Boston next year....

This picture shows you where Budget (and Avis) are situated.

Building with the red circle. (the "large" grey building not the flat blue building)

Budget is in the 7/11-Shell petrol station and Avis just next door.

The cruise pier is not in this picture but it is not far to walk.

The pier is located to the right outside the picture....

by_aalesund3_zpsc101bbaa.jpg"]by_aalesund3_zpsc101bbaa.jpg[/url]

Edited by I-Cruiser

Norway is somewhat costly. Also good to know about the price in the US as I might be driving to/from NYC to Boston next year....

We usually pay about $35 per day to rent a car (depends on size) and less if a weekly rate (about $180 per week). It is a little more expensive at an airport due to fees added. Gas is around $4 per gallon (or less).

Bill

Hi Lars -

I have been enjoying reading this thread.

Thanks very much for all the good information.

We are 2 couples that will be in Aalesund for the day from 8-6. The guys are looking for an opportunity to do a little fishing in the fjord. The only fishing guides I have found on the web seem to be for groups. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Hi Lars -

I have been enjoying reading this thread.

Thanks very much for all the good information.

We are 2 couples that will be in Aalesund for the day from 8-6. The guys are looking for an opportunity to do a little fishing in the fjord. The only fishing guides I have found on the web seem to be for groups. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Thank you for your kind words - much appreciated.

As for fishing most tour companies offer those trips for groups.

Some of the companies has a minimum of 6 persons limit. Having a fishing boat for yourself for 4-5 hours will probably cost around NOK 200 pp pr hour

However, you should try to contact these two companies as they might be what you are looking for.

qrzgruppen@gmail.com

vidarhareide@hotmail.com

Another company is http://www.actin.no/?lang=2

They have fishing trips of various length. We did a 3 hrs trip with them and it was lots of fun.

The schedule seems to change so for an updated itinerary or requests its better to contact the company directly.

http://www.62.no/ has 2 hrs fishngtrips from June 30 at a cost of NOK 550 pp.

I hope this helps a little. Seems like its slim picking for private fishing tours.

We usually pay about $35 per day to rent a car (depends on size) and less if a weekly rate (about $180 per week). It is a little more expensive at an airport due to fees added. Gas is around $4 per gallon (or less).

Bill

Bill - thank you for the very useful information. Appreciate it.

Lars -

Thanks for the info.

They would be happy to JOIN up with a group, it's just that we don't have a group ourselves. :)

Thanks for the good info, I will check these out!

You`re welcome - anytime:) Enjoy your cruise and fishing trip..

Hi Lars:

I'm not sure how I missed this thread before. Again, lots of good information-thank you!

I have a couple of questions regarding Stavanger. This is our last port on an itinerary that includes: Bergen, Geiranger, Flam, Gudvangen, the Lofoten Islands, Troll Fjord, Tromso, Honningsvag, and Olden. Do the Lysefjord and Pulpit Rock offer new scenic "ah" moments? We definitely want to do "old" Stavanger, maybe for a little retail therapy. We are only in port from 13:00 to 20:00 which nixes a trip to the gardens of Hidle Island which would be a priority if we could find private transportation.

Not sure about the Iron Age Farm or the Monastery? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Glenda

Edited by GJH123

Hi Lars:

I'm not sure how I missed this thread before. Again, lots of good information-thank you!

I have a couple of questions regarding Stavanger. This is our last port on an itinerary that includes: Bergen, Geiranger, Flam, Gudvangen, the Lofoten Islands, Troll Fjord, Tromso, Honningsvag, and Olden. Do the Lysefjord and Pulpit Rock offer new scenic "ah" moments? We definitely want to do "old" Stavanger, maybe for a little retail therapy. We are only in port from 13:00 to 20:00 which nixes a trip to the gardens of Hidle Island which would be a priority if we could find private transportation.

Not sure about the Iron Age Farm or the Monastery? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Glenda

Glenda, I am glad you found this thread:)

You are doing some amazing ports up north. Trollfjord and the Lofoten islands are stunning. Which ship are you on?

I agree that the old part of Stavanger is a must do. Its very quaint. Those white small wooden houses are very charming.

You might be interested to know that Stavanger is Norways most expensive city to live in. (I do tend to switch places with Oslo)

I would do Lysefjord and the Pulpit as I am sure it will "ah" and "oh" you:)

The reason for this is because all the other Norwegian fjords you will visit are pristine, lush, with rich waterfalls. Lysefjord is totally different in that it is more rugged, more wild if you like, Lots of stone and the mountains are steep.

It might compare more to some parts of Alaska.

Hi, GJH123,

Very difficult to go to Hidle island independantly. The gardens are a private property and the owners organize their own tours : two tours a day, 12-17hs including lunch and 17-22hs including dinner (both including, of course, boat trip and visit). I tried to visit the gardens last year and couldn't, for my ship departure was at 4 pm (Hope for you it will be easier this year, my informations were available for 2013). If any suggestion is welcome, I can tell you that there is an interesting exhibition in the Archeological museum, about Vikings voyages. I'm also surprised by the fact that nobody on forums or even guides mentions the possibility to visit Leedal and Breidablikk. Those two typical norwegians country manors are "ideals" for short stays : in the same area (just the road to cross same ticket to visit both) and at a walking distance from the pier and old town (about 10-15 minutes). Probably forgotten because they are seldom opened to visitors : opened every day just between the 15th of june and the 15th of august(!!!!). During the rest of the year, they are only opened on sunday, between 12 and 4 pm. Don't know if my suggestions will help you, I suppose there are a lot of more interesting things to do in Stavanger. (Sorry for my bad english, I'm french).

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

Guess I'd better pack the hiking boots!

Appreciate the cute picture from I-Cruiser from Lysefjord at the Kjerragbolten. But, it does not look as if "hiking boots" will be enough. You might need "flying boots" for that type of unique location.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 136,478 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923