Vanilla in Grenada

ondeckatsea

I use to love the pure vanilla in Grenada and always bought a lot of it. The past three years it's been of a very poor quality apparently because of a major hurricane a few years ago. Has it improved any since then? I hate to get ripped off and also hate bringing it home and finding out it's not even as good as the imitation vanilla we can buy locally.

• 1 month later...
I use to love the pure vanilla in Grenada and always bought a lot of it. The past three years it's been of a very poor quality apparently because of a major hurricane a few years ago. Has it improved any since then? I hate to get ripped off and also hate bringing it home and finding out it's not even as good as the imitation vanilla we can buy locally.

Did you ever hear any feedback on this? I love pure vanilla so I would be curious to know myself.

If you have a Costco near you, their Kirkland brand pure vanilla extract is better than anything I've been able to sample in Mexico or the Caribbean for years. It does contain some sugar in addition to the vanilla and alcohol, but it's all natural and the flavor is rich and intense.

We just bought some vanilla extract in Grenada (in January of this year) as part of a 5 pack with almond extract, pineapple extract, banana extract and pear extract! The vanilla is AMAZING. It smells so much better than any other type of vanilla I've had before! I used it in some baked goods recently and it was delicious, although I think I want to save it for something where I can taste it more. I only have a small bottle and want to savor it!

• 10 months later...
I hate to get ripped off and also hate bringing it home and finding out it's not even as good as the imitation vanilla we can buy locally.

You don't want to use imitation vanilla. Ever go by paper plants and see a huge cylinder elevated off the ground (like 4 stories tall)? That's the boiler for the plant. When they clean out the boiler, that residue is sold to make imitation vanilla.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought pure vanilla extract there in 2011 and was impressed by the fragrance but unimpressed by the taste in baked goods, so I tasted the product straight in a comparison with another brand I had open and the Grenada prouct was practically flavorless! I don't understand how that can be, but I threw the product away. I did not buy this time around.

Edited by mary_228

• 2 weeks later...
You may have had fake vanilla. You need to know where you are buying the vanilla. Yes, they can rip you off, even in Grenada.
I believe the OP wants to know where she can buy some good quality vanilla. If you can recommend a place, I'm sure she and others on the forum would be appreciative.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you are buying vanilla in Grenada or Mexico, read the bottle carefully. Some contains coumarin which is a blood thinner. If you have heard of the medication Coumadin, you would be familiar with it. I used to buy vanilla in several islands but recent years, I didn't like. As some suggest, IMO, Costco and Williams Sonoma vanilla is better and safer.

• 2 months later...

I make my own vanilla, and it tastes great. On the internet there is a place where you can buy vanilla beans at a good price ; split the beans ( you'll need about 15 to 20 beans and add them to a bottle ( one LT) of vodka. Let sit for about a month, shake every week or so . After a month it's ready to be used.

:D;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I just got back from Grenada. The markets have no vanilla beans and said they were scarce lately, I overheard other people asking for vanilla beans too. In the grocery store I bought some vanilla essence, brand name is Moses, and it says vanilla & water for ingredients..... that’s it. When I brought it home, I let my dad-the vanilla connoisseur test it out....it’s so watered down. We each took a sip and you can taste the water before the vanilla. It’s only 2$ and not even worth that.